Jump to topic:

IQ/Standardized test results

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 4:40:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's IQ and/or standardized test results (ACT, SAT, etc.)
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 5:05:05 PM
At 3/5/2014 4:40:02 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's IQ and/or standardized test results (ACT, SAT, etc.)

I'm sure everyone will be SO truthful, too.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2014 5:08:42 PM
It seems like one of those things, that are a no win situation. If I say something too high I'm a liar. If I say something too low, I'm an idiot.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 2:48:20 PM
In the most recent IQ test I took, I scored genius level or thereabouts, without paying very much attention. In the past, however, I have consistently registered in the 99th percentile, in the .0% intelligent range, and genius level again when it came to IQ tests. This, however, was always with regard to mathematics.

The thing is, I don't put much stock in IQ tests as an accurate indication of a person's potential, or, rather, I think the results can be incredibly misleading in general. The standard IQ test, for example, should only be taken as an indication of a person's mathematical ability, but it is not, instead being taken as all-encompassing, as the "intelligence quotient". This, I think, is hugely erroneous. I mean, you wouldn't expect to make much use of a calculator in a test on anything else besides the manipulation of numbers, would you?

And with that we get to what intelligence really amounts to. The mind is a computer, plain and simple. You're never measuring raw ability with these tests, but programmed ability, and people program all sorts of different things, given different environments, initially calculated advantages, disadvantages and possible compensations, and so on. Notepad isn't ever going to give you an answer after typing "2 + 2 =", now, is it? But that isn't to say that raw ability doesn't come into it at all, of course; just that you're never really going to be able to measure it with any real precision.

There are numerous things, then, that I can refer to to back up my position. The mathematical intelligence generally associated with autism, for example, the autistic then being socially dysfunctional. The correspondence between Eastern writing, the eccentricity of it, and Eastern martial arts, then contrasted against our very ordered, straight or horizontal lettering, and the very straight or horizontal arts to go with them, for want of a better description - boxing, for example - and that correspondence then going a long way towards tearing down the erroneous distinction people commonly make between physical and mental ability, very much tying the two together. And then imagine the calculation that goes into even crossing the road. Imagine the intelligence you would have to put into a robot to make it do the same thing. Albert Einstein apparently had huge difficulty with language throughout his youth. Why? Because his attention was focused elsewhere. That's it. The main problem when it comes to intelligence, really, I think, is self-doubt. And I know I only really cited two "things" there, but they should be sufficient: the first to deal with two fields of knowledge that one should expect to reside within the same realm (if there were realms); the second to bridge the gap between mental and physical, as commonly considered. There doesn't actually seem to be much easily identifiable crossover (lol), but still glaring contradictions to conventional opinion, and enough crossover as regards motor systems (which is the only place you're really going to get it, I suppose) to hammer in those contradictions. I'm sure you could tie auditory ability to language, too, though. Perhaps ability in discerning one note from another, better or worse depending on the vocal complexity of a person's language or languages. Stuff like that.

As regards remedy, then, I think making this common knowledge would go a very long way. Again - self-doubt. I really can't stress that enough. It's incredible to see how people will essentially lobotomise themselves in hugely relevant fields, simply because they believe they aren't suited for those fields. It's actually not uncommon that people, by force of some incredible mental gymnastics, will actually completely shut their brains down when it comes to some subject or other, only really refusing to learn, but then believing that they are unable. In my country, actually, there has recently been a change to the mathematics curriculum, very much fusing it with English, which I think was a very wise move. Project Mathematics has replaced the old subject, which dealt only with numbers, and I do expect it, if not to increase average ability in both subjects, to at least improve quality of life in general, sufficiency in both English and mathematics being hugely important as regards such, without placing too much of a damper on improvement in either field individually. It's to allow spillover, basically - or, even, to combat self-doubt, by placing these two fields so closely together, ability in one to prop up expectation of oneself in the other. Basically, we're all f*cking genius guys . . . and DanT has autism.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 3:47:41 PM
At 3/6/2014 2:48:20 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
In the most recent IQ test I took, I scored genius level or thereabouts, without paying very much attention. In the past, however, I have consistently registered in the 99th percentile, in the .0% intelligent range, and genius level again when it came to IQ tests. This, however, was always with regard to mathematics.

Were these...internet IQ tests? ; - )
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 3:54:16 PM
At 3/6/2014 3:47:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Some of them, yes. Most of them were standardised school tests, though, and one of them was as a part of an application for a rather prestigious apprenticeship, my results having generated considerable interest, lots of lovely suited individuals looking to shake my hand. There was also an award for achievement in mathematics.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 3:57:11 PM
At 3/6/2014 3:54:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Some of them, yes. Most of them were standardised school tests, though, and one of them was as a part of an application for a rather prestigious apprenticeship, my results having generated considerable interest, lots of lovely suited individuals looking to shake my hand. There was also an award for achievement in mathematics.

I never would have pegged you for a math guy.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:00:21 PM
At 3/6/2014 3:57:11 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I shared a special math class in school with no-one else but a Russian dude whose father was a rocket scientist and his mother a programmer, and a Chinese dude who didn't speak a word of English, it was hilarious. I never once did my homework, but took drugs instead (lol), and passed with flying colours.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:12:48 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:00:21 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 3/6/2014 3:57:11 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I shared a special math class in school with no-one else but a Russian dude whose father was a rocket scientist and his mother a programmer, and a Chinese dude who didn't speak a word of English, it was hilarious. I never once did my homework, but took drugs instead (lol), and passed with flying colours.

It wasn't just the drugs that generated the flying colours, btw. That's a saying, lol.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:17:51 PM
No one will believe me, but I will post anyway.

On standardized tests I have scored 99.5 percentile or higher in all subjects but math, in which I tend to get around 97. I took an IQ test at Cambridge and got 180. I've never taken another one.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:18:13 PM
That was some interesting recall there, though. Like the description of those windows as playing cards in Lolita.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:19:39 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:17:51 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

On standardized tests I have scored 99.5 percentile or higher in all subjects but math, in which I tend to get around 97. I took an IQ test at Cambridge and got 180. I've never taken another one.

I certainly don't believe you anyway.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:21:53 PM
And bthw I'm with andoc on the idea that it is not a very good gauge of intelligence. Genius comes in all forms, and standard IQ tests seem to only measure one type.

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:22:43 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:19:39 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I didn't think anyone would. I don't really care.

Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:23:49 PM
I once made an IQ test where you actually had to guess your own IQ. If you guessed it right the result was that you have a high IQ score.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:24:42 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:22:43 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:27:00 PM

I took an IQ test at Cambridge and got 180. I've never taken another one.

Very few IQ tests have that high of a ceiling, considering that an IQ of 180 is 1 in 20,000,000. Unless you went out of your way to take some experimental test, that's not accurate.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:28:45 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:24:42 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

http://xaxor.com...

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:30:14 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:28:45 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Touche.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:32:29 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:27:00 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I took an IQ test at Cambridge and got 180. I've never taken another one.

Very few IQ tests have that high of a ceiling, considering that an IQ of 180 is 1 in 20,000,000. Unless you went out of your way to take some experimental test, that's not accurate.

Then call me a liar. It doesn't make a difference. I didn't expect anyone to believe me anyway.

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:34:16 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:30:14 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Touche.

This would have been better.

http://m.quickmeme.com...

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:37:31 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:34:16 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Touche.

Well I have been thoroughly defeated in this gif war.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:43:12 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:37:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Touche.

I didn't even have to get out the Yang gifs (cause you know I would).
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:44:51 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:43:12 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/6/2014 4:37:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Touche.

I didn't even have to get out the Yang gifs (cause you know I would).

There was something beautifully captivating about that first one you posted.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:59:16 PM
I got a 158 on an IQ test. Never took an SAT or ACT. Thing is, who the hell cares? It's a completely useless measure of intelligence, I could be lying (I'm not, but you don't know that and you have no reason to trust me), and I'll tell you right now, no one is going to post an exceptionally low score in on this website. We're a community that reveres intelligence, for fvcks' sake. You are not going to gather any meaningful data in this thread.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 5:02:21 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:59:16 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I got a 158 on an IQ test. Never took an SAT or ACT. Thing is, who the hell cares? It's a completely useless measure of intelligence, I could be lying (I'm not, but you don't know that and you have no reason to trust me), and I'll tell you right now, no one is going to post an exceptionally low score in on this website. We're a community that reveres intelligence, for fvcks' sake. You are not going to gather any meaningful data in this thread.

Truer words have never been spoken before
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 5:09:44 PM
At 3/6/2014 5:02:21 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 3/6/2014 4:59:16 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Truer words have never been spoken before

Any random person on the street would likely guess I have average intelligence, and as far as applications go, that would be completely accurate. I'm a community college student who works in fast food and swears like a drunken sailor, ffs. My IQ doesn't mean a damn thing. So what use is it to anyone? The only time it's even been relevant is when I was put in G&T in the third grade, and that was really just extra homework anyway. It's useless. If someone really does have high intelligence, the results will more than likely speak for themselves.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:21:28 PM
At 3/5/2014 4:40:02 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

IQ: 133
SAT: 2240
ACT: 34