Jump to topic:

Life of a Hypocrite

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 2:08:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Many people that knows me in real life and in DDO knows I'm an Atheist but my own family does not.

I'm 15 years old and I live in the Philippines where 94% of the population are Christians, 5% are Muslims and the 1% are the Atheists or the 'other' religions. My family, more so on my grandma, is very religious and I am worried about what they would do to me if I outed my Atheism. I'm also worried about my future adult life since 99% of the population are religious, I might have a hard time finding the right chick to live the rest of my life with.

Should I live a hypocritical life to gain the benefits of Catholicism and maintain the love of my family? Or should I out my Atheism and deal with more problems in my future adult life and start a problem with my family?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 2:11:19 PM
At 3/16/2014 2:08:36 PM, XLAV wrote:
Many people that knows me in real life and in DDO knows I'm an Atheist but my own family does not.

I'm 15 years old and I live in the Philippines where 94% of the population are Christians, 5% are Muslims and the 1% are the Atheists or the 'other' religions. My family, more so on my grandma, is very religious and I am worried about what they would do to me if I outed my Atheism. I'm also worried about my future adult life since 99% of the population are religious, I might have a hard time finding the right chick to live the rest of my life with.

Should I live a hypocritical life to gain the benefits of Catholicism and maintain the love of my family? Or should I out my Atheism and deal with more problems in my future adult life and start a problem with my family?

If your family are Catholics they'll wanna reach out to you not treat you like garbage. honesty is good.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 2:14:04 PM
At 3/16/2014 2:11:19 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

If your family are Catholics they'll wanna reach out to you not treat you like garbage. honesty is good.
Well GCL, you remind me of my mother, so...

If I am your son and I told you I'm an Atheist, what would you do?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 2:21:39 PM
At 3/16/2014 2:14:04 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 3/16/2014 2:11:19 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Well GCL, you remind me of my mother, so...

If I am your son and I told you I'm an Atheist, what would you do?

That is either a good thing or a bad?? I don't how to respond that me reminding you of your mother?.. Weird..

If your an atheist and you were my son, what more could I do other than what I do here on DDO? I can tell you an tell and tell until I'm dead but I cannot make you believe. I have a sister who for a long time my family and I thought she was Christian (for a while) until she started showing and doing not usual things.. Then one day, :( she left home with some dude and his wife and they live together and had kids.. It's been 2 yrs and I've never met my nephew.. She is in some other cult .. She was 18 when she left too btw.. And since she was the law allows 18 yr olds to leave if they wish because they're considered adults.. Your only 15 and I would not permit you to leave even if you are atheist. Youd still be my responsibility and it would till be my duty to teach you what I know even if you denied it. Hope this helps answer your question from my point of view.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 2:30:43 PM

my family is Buddhist, but I believe in YOLO/agnotism/atheism... so how does one explain that when I have a religious grandma? hmmm, so its not something that I would tell my parents but if i did, they would not give a fart

but to be serious, you flip a coin...
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 3:13:37 PM
At 3/16/2014 2:30:43 PM, yay842 wrote:

my family is Buddhist, but I believe in YOLO/agnotism/atheism... so how does one explain that when I have a religious grandma? hmmm, so its not something that I would tell my parents but if i did, they would not give a fart

Did you really come from a Buddhist family? If so, might I ask what it lacked or how it fell out of favor for you? I've heard countless stories about Christians turned atheist but haven't had a chance to talk to someone who's turned atheist from a Buddhist origin...
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 3:55:31 PM
At 3/16/2014 3:13:37 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Did you really come from a Buddhist family? If so, might I ask what it lacked or how it fell out of favor for you? I've heard countless stories about Christians turned atheist but haven't had a chance to talk to someone who's turned atheist from a Buddhist origin...

hmm, ah well... mmmm, well this is... well,.. one does not simply explain. but you know i know the belief of the actual historical fact of like how there is a Jesus of (Nezearath?) and there was an actual Prince (Siddartha?) that actually exists, but i dont believe in the spirituality of such like things of it
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:09:00 PM
At 3/16/2014 3:55:31 PM, yay842 wrote:

hmm, ah well... mmmm, well this is... well,.. one does not simply explain. but you know i know the belief of the actual historical fact of like how there is a Jesus of (Nezearath?) and there was an actual Prince (Siddartha?) that actually exists, but i dont believe in the spirituality of such like things of it

Ah, I see. Although now I am curious about something else. IF it was possible, would you choose between the Buddhist conception of death where one either transcends the cycle of life and death or is reincarnated OR would you choose the conception of Heaven vs. Hell as a post-death reality? I'm sorry for asking such questions, it's just not everyday I get to ask such things to a person born into a Buddhist family.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:24:49 PM
At 3/16/2014 4:09:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 3/16/2014 3:55:31 PM, yay842 wrote:

Ah, I see. Although now I am curious about something else. IF it was possible, would you choose between the Buddhist conception of death where one either transcends the cycle of life and death or is reincarnated OR would you choose the conception of Heaven vs. Hell as a post-death reality? I'm sorry for asking such questions, it's just not everyday I get to ask such things to a person born into a Buddhist family.

well there is some science into what i think happens after death. see, there are many forms of energy: light energy, heat energy, etc. and i think that there is a form called life energy that is what makes a living organism. although, this is pretty similar to like the "soul" in Hinduism i think or Buddhism, so yea, something like that. i dont think there is a heaven or hell unless im describing either taking a really nice shower as heaven and working as hell
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:28:44 PM

I believe its more like 85%
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:33:58 PM

I think you should just lie to yourself that you're christian. Like you said, only benefits and no loss. Anyways, it will only work if you force yourself to believe so....
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:35:28 PM
At 3/16/2014 4:24:49 PM, yay842 wrote:
i dont think there is a heaven or hell unless im describing either taking a really nice shower as heaven and working as hell

I totally get what you mean, and LOL. I must agree though, nothing beats a really nice shower. One time when I had my hair longer, I used to comb it while in the shower, instant O-face type pleasure. For me, hell is the moment one steps out of that heavenly shower only to be ambushed by the much colder air of the surrounding room :)
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:37:23 PM
In reference to my O-face remark... please see video :)
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 4:02:44 AM

I don't think this counts as hypocrisy. You are stuck in a hard spot.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 4:27:12 AM
At 3/17/2014 4:02:44 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I'm an atheist but I still go to church.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 4:46:14 AM
At 3/17/2014 4:27:12 AM, XLAV wrote:

So what ? just because you go some where doesn't mean you believe everything they do.

"Should I live a hypocritical life to gain the benefits of Catholicism"

What are those benefits ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 4:56:30 AM
At 3/17/2014 4:46:14 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

So what ? just because you go some where doesn't mean you believe everything they do.

Chicks.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 4:58:20 AM
At 3/17/2014 4:56:30 AM, XLAV wrote:

Chicks.

Men have done worse to get women.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 4:58:41 AM
At 3/17/2014 4:58:20 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:02:02 AM
At 3/17/2014 4:58:41 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.
Lol. So should I tell my family or no?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:06:01 AM
At 3/17/2014 5:02:02 AM, XLAV wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.

No, shoe shopping is none of their business.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:07:40 AM
At 3/17/2014 5:06:01 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.

Hmm, I see.

Out my Atheism: 1.5
Live a hypocritical life: 1.5
Shoe shopping: 1
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:09:19 AM
At 3/17/2014 5:07:40 AM, XLAV wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.

Hmm, I see.

Well hell if your going to keep count.......

Maybe you shouldn't base important life decisions from suggestions from random people on the internet: 1
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:12:10 AM
At 3/17/2014 5:09:19 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.

Hmm, I see.

Maybe you shouldn't base important life decisions from suggestions from random people on the internet: 1

Alright, I'll abandon the count. I just need suggestions on what to do.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 5:16:45 AM
At 3/17/2014 5:12:10 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 3/17/2014 5:09:19 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Chicks.

Shoe shopping.

Hmm, I see.

Alright, I'll abandon the count. I just need suggestions on what to do.

Well you mentioned that women were at stake. Ho's before Bro's and Ho's before accepting or rejecting various untestable metaphysical propositions.

I hope this has being enlighting for you.