Jump to topic:

How do I actually get energy?

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:11:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Coffee? Energy drinks? What do you consistently find effective for short and long-term needs? I need to be able to study even if I've spent the day dicking around.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:13:03 AM
meth and crack work pretty good for that short burst, but the crash at the end is a little much. So save it for finals.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:13:03 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:11:41 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Coffee? Energy drinks? What do you consistently find effective for short and long-term needs? I need to be able to study even if I've spent the day dicking around.

Get a good night's sleep, and exercise regularly. Haven't we had this conversation before?

Oh, and don't dick around.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:13:36 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:13:03 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
meth and crack work pretty good for that short burst, but the crash at the end is a little much. So save it for finals.

I thought about suggesting cocaine, but I think you beat me to the drug references lol
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:13:53 AM
okay, but more seriously. For a long term plan, being healthy is the #1 thing. That includes staying physically fit, eating healthy, and getting plenty of sleep.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:14:23 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:13:03 AM, YYW wrote:

Get a good night's sleep, and exercise regularly. Haven't we had this conversation before?

Pretty much what I was going to say. Though Ore is right about meth and crack.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:14:56 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:14:23 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/25/2014 12:13:03 AM, YYW wrote:

Pretty much what I was going to say. Though Ore is right about meth and crack.

I mean, you really can't beat meth and crack. haha
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:22:02 AM
Everybody whose idea of advice is to never ever get into a situation where I need energy in the first place should try getting from a university library a nonrenewable 800 page book on Hellenistic history, philosophy, art, tragedy, and science, and reading it in less than a week.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:25:39 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:13:53 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
okay, but more seriously. For a long term plan, being healthy is the #1 thing. That includes staying physically fit, eating healthy, and getting plenty of sleep.

One thing to remember, is that there are things that will give you a short burst of energy, but they all have draw backs. Sugar is the natural energy booster, however unspent energy (and no body is 100% efficient, so there will be some) gets turned into fat. You also get to suffer the crash later, which I believe is caused by a lack of electrolytes (I would recommend double checking that as I'm going off memory) as the sugar is processed in the blood and muscles.

Every "booster" will have this draw back, be it sugar, caffeine, or Mack (Meth and Crack's evil love child). There are some options such as B12, as it helps with keeping your metabolism up, but it is water soluble, so any excess that you take, you just piss out.

You do want to make sure you are getting all the vitamins you need, but 10,000% B12 is just expensive pee (though you can re-drink it over and over to eventually get all the B12 out of it you want, or just eat meat).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:25:54 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:22:02 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Everybody whose idea of advice is to never ever get into a situation where I need energy in the first place should try getting from a university library a nonrenewable 800 page book on Hellenistic history, philosophy, art, tragedy, and science, and reading it in less than a week.

I've always found that cigarettes, coffee and the occasional b12 supplement helped.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:26:12 AM

In that case, I would recommend a gun, lol.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:37:00 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:25:54 AM, YYW wrote:

I've always found that cigarettes, coffee and the occasional b12 supplement helped.

I don't do cigarettes or supplements. Is coffee really that effective in a crunch?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:38:51 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:37:00 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I don't do cigarettes or supplements. Is coffee really that effective in a crunch?

Coffee is. B complex vitamins will help too.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:39:58 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:38:51 AM, YYW wrote:

How much would you recommend? What kind of coffee is most effective? And do you mean "B complex vitamins" as in supplements or something I can eat?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:42:40 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:39:58 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 3/25/2014 12:38:51 AM, YYW wrote:

How much would you recommend? What kind of coffee is most effective? And do you mean "B complex vitamins" as in supplements or something I can eat?

Before you start taking any vitamins, consult with your GP. I am not a medical professional, nor should this be construed as medical advice. There is no guarantee of effectiveness with any method suggester herein.

I would suggest black coffee. I buy mine at Whole Foods, and I like the Pacific Rim blend... I think that's what it's called.

Any balanced b complex vitamin available at your local pharmacy should suffice.

Eating a balanced diet will also do you wonders.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:46:51 AM
What I'm getting from you is this: when in crisis, drink three cups of black coffee and see if I feel any sharper. If I don't, drink another two and repeat until satisfied. Thanks, YYW!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:48:29 AM
At 3/25/2014 12:46:51 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
What I'm getting from you is this: when in crisis, drink three cups of black coffee and see if I feel any sharper. If I don't, drink another two and repeat until satisfied. Thanks, YYW!

Actually, try one and see what effect it has. Wait five minutes, and then another might be useful. Any more, and you'll get cold sweats if your body isn't acclimated to a lot of caffeine.
Tsar of DDO
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:55:32 AM
heroine, sleep, adrenaline, exercise, getting slapped across the face, taking a piss, eating, drinking, sitting, concentrating, get pointed at by a gun, stubbed your toe, fight/flight
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Mediterranean
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 1:54:17 AM
Having a good diet based and vegetables and fruits and exercising drinking much water as well.
There is a whole different world right before our eyes, yet we fail to see it.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 1:58:44 AM
Caffeine, nicotine, B12 and sudafed, in order of how badly I need to stay awake. I work 24 hour shifts, so I'm pretty familiar with needing to stay sharp for extended periods.

The chest pain is just a side effect--I think of it not as my heart trying to tell me I'm dying, but rather reminding me that I'm still alive!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 2:12:52 AM
At 3/25/2014 1:58:44 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Caffeine, nicotine, B12 and sudafed, in order of how badly I need to stay awake. I work 24 hour shifts, so I'm pretty familiar with needing to stay sharp for extended periods.

The chest pain is just a side effect--I think of it not as my heart trying to tell me I'm dying, but rather reminding me that I'm still alive!

Dude, you need a Provigil Rx.
Tsar of DDO
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 3:12:28 AM
Eat healthy: http://authoritynutrition.com...
Meditate: https://www.youtube.com... + https://www.youtube.com... + get Mindfulness App or listen to guided meditation online
Sleep: 7-10 hours
Exercise: http://liamrosen.com... I do Jason Blaha's Novice 5x5
Passion: Find your "One Thing:" http://www.amazon.com...

For a huge natural boost that will be beneficial to your energy levels in the short-run and long-run: kale smoothies. I do kale, spinach, greek yogurt, frozen pineapple, mango, strawberries, flax and chia seeds, egg whites, whey protein, and honey.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 3:16:03 AM
At 3/25/2014 3:13:00 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Also most* coffee and energy drinks are sh!t for your body.

You can make coffee healthy by using organic coffee, adding cocoa and cinamon, and avoiding most additives: artificial sweeteners and creamers, starbucks voodoo.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 3:49:38 AM
Also coffee and energy drinks are sh!t for your body.

If I need to pull an all-nighter, exercising and eating right won't do the trick. But I'm definitely going to use those links.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 3:50:31 AM
At 3/25/2014 3:16:03 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Also most* coffee and energy drinks are sh!t for your body.

You can make coffee healthy by using organic coffee, adding cocoa and cinamon, and avoiding most additives: artificial sweeteners and creamers, starbucks voodoo.

Does it have the same effect?
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:26:10 AM

Calories = the amount of energy stored in food.

So get calories (they only make you fat if you don't do anything and have excess energy that needs to be stored).

Just thought I'd through that out there.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:35:28 AM

i would recommend black tea over coffee because the crash will not hit you as hard as coffee
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 11:48:45 AM
Sunifiram + Coluracetam + bioavailable acetylcholine (I recommend Alpha GPC or Acetyl L-Carnitine) + B vitamin complex + fish oil + good diet + exercise.

Stimulants are long-term useless, and will probably give you brain damage if you use them to excess, either in dose or in frequency. Exercise hurts initially if you never engage in it, but it's got demonstrable cognitive (as well as, obviously, physiological) benefits in both the short and long-term. I recommend cardio (I go for daily jogs) and basic resistance training if you aren't after anything terribly complex.

Also, don't masturbate too much.