Jump to topic:

Who do you write like?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:10:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think this has been done before, but I want to do it again. So, here are the instructions...

Get a sample of your writing from the forum and paste it here:

http://iwl.me...

Then, paste the same sample, with a link to where you wrote what you did, below your result like so:

I write like David Foster Wallace.

http://iwl.me...

My writing sample:

These aren't quite crimes of only passion, either -but violent and premeditated, yet arbitrary incidences of nothing less than mania. But, just being a narcissistic psychopath/sociopath (the distinction here is hard to make because a psychopath will make no discrimination in who s/he harms among those with whom a psychopath is closely associated, whereas a sociopath will only harm those the sociopath does not especially care about) who has access to weapons doesn't necessarily cause a person to arbitrarily take other people's lives even if that is the only kind of person who could be pushed to a point of doing so.

I think it's about needing to feel powerful, in response to feelings of powerlessness -and I think that the task of psychological profilers to screen people from that perspective. As a rule, I think it could be established that those who are the least empathetic and who feel most powerless are probably the most likely to kill others and themselves in that way. The fact that societal empathy levels continue to precipitously drop, and the fact that gun ownership/possession in the United States is such that access is practically ubiquitous makes the need for identifying those individuals that much more pressing.

But I also think that there's a bolder way to combat this: teach empathy. That happens through getting students to read books about other people's lives, and be interested in them. Chekov, Dostoevsky, Austen and Dickens -especially. It requires that children be actively taught that they have an ethical responsibility to care about other people, and not to think only of themselves. In the past, that kind of communal solidarity was ingrained in society by the church, but now, it's not. Getting people to love other people, to value other people and to respect other people, I think, is going to become the single greatest challenge of the modern age where lasting communities are evermore fragmented and where our lives exist in evermore increasing isolation. I know that's a far out solution, but I think there's something to it that's at least worth exploring.

Link:

http://www.debate.org...
Tsar of DDO
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:34:20 PM
Okay, this is fun.

A snap of my journal: Charles Dickens.
An article I wrote for a magazine: H. P. LoveCraft.
Something I wrote when I was 15: Kurt Vonnegut

Hmm. Interesting.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 7:54:34 PM
I tried a few different samples and got Cory Doctorow every time. Strange thing is, I've never even read anything of his. Maybe I should...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:15:29 PM
Goodbye poem: Raymond Chandler
Book excerpt I started writing: Cory Doctorow
Angry rant paragraph: Dan Brown
Greek Mythology try-out essay: Stephanie Meyer (WTH!)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:56:01 PM
Excerpt from DDO forums: Edgar Allan Poe

Storywriting debate from DDO: Arthur Clarke

Short story I wrote: Also Arthur Clarke

Essay I wrote: H. P. Lovecraft
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Aravengeance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 2:23:12 PM
Short Speech: William Shakespeare
Persuasive Letter: Ray Bradbury (Well the essay was about Fahrenheit 451 lol)
Creative Essay for English: Stephen King
Artifact Essay: Rudyard Kipling
Female Draft Essay: Harry Harrison
Holocaust Essay: Kurt Vonnegut
Wal-mart Essay: Cory Doctorow
I feel like I have a multiple personality disorder.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 3:08:20 PM
I write like Cory Doctorow

While it should have been inferred, no semantics.

There are two groups of people that don't enjoy Frozen-
I. Those that haven't watched it
II. Those that have seen it but not liked it, with several sub groups
-a. Religious nuts
-b. People who go overboard on political correctness
-c. People that disliked it but with no reasoning (if I missed any let me know next round and I'll tackle them)

Now, I'll show why each group of people I listed (or at least the people in them that don't like Frozen) has no place in civilized society.

I. Those who haven't watched it
These people haven't watched it for one or more of several reasons.

a. They can't afford it. This seems reasonable, but if they haven't seen it due to a lack of money, than they either don't have internet access/computer skills, making getting any job nearly impossible which removes their societal role, or is one of those people that says "Piracy? Can't you get arrested for that?", which shows a lack of world experience and/or intelligence.
b. They don't have time. Now, Frozen is 108 minutes long, including credits. I'm assuming most people have at least 108 minutes of free time per day, and what sort of freak chooses to masturbate or sleep in that time? Not one I'd want in my society.

II. Those who watched it and disliked it.

a. Religious nuts. Now, this is as in super religious fundamentalists, that are offended by the magic in this movie. This is the type of person that holds back society, not the kind that should ever be in it.
b. Overly politically correct people. These people are against it for one of two reasons, both of which shows a lack of intelligence/critical thinking skills:
1. Lack of PoC's in the movie. Now, the legal system is similar to that of medieval Europe, minus the organized religion. So, one could assume that it takes place in Disney's equivalent of medieval Europe, making PoC's extremely rare, especially in one isolated country.
2. Giving every man at least one negative trait. Now, many people are saying that Disney thinks every man is a moronic, immature, backstabbing jerk because men had these traits in the movie, which is complete BS. What? Disney had NOT PERFECT characters? What sexists!
c. Now, someone who has so little thinking skills to the point where they are unable to back up such a simple thought with rational arguments clearly can't have an everyday conversation.

http://www.debate.org...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 3:48:34 PM
At 4/4/2014 5:10:44 PM, YYW wrote:

Oh, and apparently for fiction I write like Arthur Clarke.

Would have rathered Philip K. Dick...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 3:55:49 PM
At 4/5/2014 3:48:34 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/4/2014 5:10:44 PM, YYW wrote:

Oh, and apparently for fiction I write like Arthur Clarke.

Would have rathered Philip K. Dick...

Nice.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 4:14:13 PM
Forum Argument: James Joyce
English Class Essay: Edgar Allen Poe

I get the feeling that this program spits out more or less random names (whoever happens to have text with phraseology occasionally consistent with yours), because the name changed each time I erased a paragraph.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:07:47 PM
It says I write like Dan Brown
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:27:13 PM
David Foster Wallace.

Didn't expect that, but cool...

"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day."
-David Foster Wallace, This Is Water

"Whatever you get paid attention for is never what you think is most important about yourself."
-David Foster Wallace

"I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it."
-David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

"Am I a good person? Deep down, do I even really want to be a good person, or do I only want to seem like a good person so that people (including myself) will approve of me? Is there a difference? How do I ever actually know whether I'm BSing myself, morally speaking?"
-David Foster Wallace, Consider the Lobster and Other Essays
Debate.org Moderator
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:33:31 PM
I write like Cory Doctorow, whoever that is...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 6:40:39 AM
At 4/7/2014 11:33:31 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Whoever he is, he's not as cute as you are ;)
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 9:57:29 AM
At 4/8/2014 6:40:39 AM, YYW wrote:

Thank you :) You're pretty adorable yourself.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 11:19:15 AM

I just pasted a text from a recent forum post I made and got Cory Doctorow as well!

I am actually a bit familiar with his writings. He is a blogger and an Internet rights activist (as well as a privacy enthusiast).

I suggest reading his blog.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 12:07:05 PM
At 4/8/2014 9:57:29 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/8/2014 6:40:39 AM, YYW wrote:

Thank you :) You're pretty adorable yourself.

Awww... *hugs*
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 12:28:41 PM
At 4/8/2014 11:19:15 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:

I just pasted a text from a recent forum post I made and got Cory Doctorow as well!

I am actually a bit familiar with his writings. He is a blogger and an Internet rights activist (as well as a privacy enthusiast).

I suggest reading his blog.

You know, we could always do a debate about rights...that might be better than the income gap...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 12:29:05 PM
I got Agatha Christie. Although I'm hardly developed as a writer. And no, I won't share the sample of my writing because it would probably get me banned. (YYW will know what I'm talking about.)
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 12:42:23 PM
I wonder if it means that I haven't evolved a consistent writing style or something. I got varying results with every sample I took. Even with different paragraphs from the same sample in some cases.