Jump to topic:

Professional Reputation

ItRemainsToBeSeen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 1:48:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The purpose of this post is to generate some information and perspectives of professional reputations in relation to guarding and improving them. I emphasize the latter because I'm particularly interested in the ambitious professional.

I'll get us started by laying the basic principles and asking some general questions.

First of all, for simplicity's sake, let me announce what I will call the cardinal rules. You may add to my definition. The cardinal rules are the importance of, broadly, doing good work and being a decent person. This entails things such as civility, punctuality, returning phone calls, emails and memos, competence in your field, satisfactory work product, integrity, and the like. You may think of other examples.

But what about the equally ambitious professional who counters you? Must they not ousted by nature in some manner? What about malicious intentions of others who may seek to damage your reputation for a host of reasons? How do you guard your reputation against these forces, which unfortunately do exist?

And let us ponder the professional who generally follows the cardinal rules with vigor, but may suffer setbacks, which rightfully damage reputation. What about the professional who self-inflicts damage to her own reputation, e.g. lapses of judgment, external forces, an intermittent pattern of certain destructive behavior? What is to be done in this scenario? Is it merely correcting the error by continuing to adhere to the cardinal rules?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:11:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 1:48:50 PM, ItRemainsToBeSeen wrote:
The purpose of this post is to generate some information and perspectives of professional reputations in relation to guarding and improving them. I emphasize the latter because I'm particularly interested in the ambitious professional.

I'll get us started by laying the basic principles and asking some general questions.

First of all, for simplicity's sake, let me announce what I will call the cardinal rules. You may add to my definition. The cardinal rules are the importance of, broadly, doing good work and being a decent person. This entails things such as civility, punctuality, returning phone calls, emails and memos, competence in your field, satisfactory work product, integrity, and the like. You may think of other examples.

But what about the equally ambitious professional who counters you? Must they not ousted by nature in some manner? What about malicious intentions of others who may seek to damage your reputation for a host of reasons? How do you guard your reputation against these forces, which unfortunately do exist?

And let us ponder the professional who generally follows the cardinal rules with vigor, but may suffer setbacks, which rightfully damage reputation. What about the professional who self-inflicts damage to her own reputation, e.g. lapses of judgment, external forces, an intermittent pattern of certain destructive behavior? What is to be done in this scenario? Is it merely correcting the error by continuing to adhere to the cardinal rules?

In business it is called CYA (cover your rear), communicate as much as possible in a written form (ideally emails) so that should anything arise, you have documented proof that you did the right thing (assuming you actually did the right thing). There will be those that like to back stab and sabotage as it removes competition for them. From my experience, the biggest killer is gossip.

It should come as no shock that I (or anyone) want to move up with in my company. However, there was an issue about 18 months ago, where I was chatting with another employee about how much I was wanting to move up. It didn't take long for that to spread around the company as I dislike my current position and that no one should want to move into this department because of how much I wanted out. Even though the rumors got exaggerated way out of hand, when they get up to upper management, they have an impact, even if subconscious.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"