Jump to topic:

Short story?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 9:11:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've got a challenge for everyone here. Write a short story. Post it in this thread. See what happens. If anyone wants to do a story debate, let me know, too!

There are no requirements about length, theme, topic, setting, etc. Just write. See where it goes. The only thing I would ask is that if you decide to do this, do the best you can and do it for yourself. Don't write what you think we want to read. Write what you want to write because you want to write it.

(I'll eventually post one of the short stories I wrote a long time ago, if enough people participate -although not in this thread.)
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:07:34 PM
Cool idea... I hope to see some posts in this thread. Maybe if I have some time I'll contribute something.
Debate.org Moderator
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:32:21 PM
At 4/9/2014 9:11:28 PM, YYW wrote:
I've got a challenge for everyone here. Write a short story. Post it in this thread. See what happens. If anyone wants to do a story debate, let me know, too!

There are no requirements about length, theme, topic, setting, etc. Just write. See where it goes. The only thing I would ask is that if you decide to do this, do the best you can and do it for yourself. Don't write what you think we want to read. Write what you want to write because you want to write it.

(I'll eventually post one of the short stories I wrote a long time ago, if enough people participate -although not in this thread.)\

Just to remind you, though, you lose all rights to your short stories as soon as they are written on DDO per the agreement.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:35:01 PM
At 4/9/2014 10:07:34 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Cool idea... I hope to see some posts in this thread. Maybe if I have some time I'll contribute something.

DO IT!!!
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:35:39 PM
At 4/9/2014 10:32:21 PM, kbub wrote:

(I'll eventually post one of the short stories I wrote a long time ago, if enough people participate -although not in this thread.)\

Just to remind you, though, you lose all rights to your short stories as soon as they are written on DDO per the agreement.

Yeah, and none of us are going to become published authors -probably, but it is one way to get your best stuff out there!
Tsar of DDO
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:38:45 PM
At 4/9/2014 10:35:39 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, and none of us are going to become published authors -probably, but it is one way to get your best stuff out there!

Well, actually I am planning on being a published author someday.... XP
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:42:34 PM
At 4/9/2014 10:38:45 PM, kbub wrote:

Viel gluck.
Tsar of DDO
Aravengeance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:50:13 PM
Nevermind, you said that you would post some of your own stories from a long time ago. Well here are the stories I got the most attention for, I'm only good at scary stories so yea:
1. She's Fine
"Freeze dirtbag! We know you have her!" The cop screams as he points his gun at me. "Who?" I replied. "Sarah Smith!" The cop screamed. "Okay, its true. She's in this house but she's perfectly fine." "Prove it," the cop said.

I told the cop to follow me to the room where she was. I opened the door and picked Sarah up. "Wake up Sarah," I said to her. She opened her eyes and smiled. "What's going on?" She asked. "Are you okay, Mam?" The cop asked. "Yes, I am perfectly fine," Sarah said. The cop could tell she wasn't lying.

"Well next time, call your parents every now and then so they aren't worried sick," the cop said. "Will do," Sarah smiled and waved goodbye. The cop left and Sarah fell to the floor. Damn, I'm good at ventriloquism.

2. Wishes
About 10 years ago, I found a Genie, weird huh? Anyways, the Genie lived up to what they're defined as and gave me 3 wishes. My 1st two wishes were about money and inanimate objects that could entertain me. For my 3rd wish,though, I wished that in 10 years, whoever was the greatest threat to the Earth would die.
Now, I sit here watching the news, 10 years later, waiting for my wish to be granted. Breaking News: Dictator shot & killed! The Genie appeared out of thin air. "Thanks for granting my 3rd wish," I said to the Genie. "The death of the Dictator was not of my doing, but I will fulfill your wish now." He disappeared once again. There was a loud gunshot in my son's room.

3. Surprise (7 sentences lol, but still a story right?)
I awoke to the loud screams of crying. I quickly got up to see what was going on. All the screams of despair suddenly turned to screams of fear. They couldn't believe what they were seeing. The screaming just got louder and louder. I tried to comfort my mom but she continued to scream. The others grabbed my mom and quickly ran away. I turned around and slowly walked back to my casket.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:47:21 PM
As Usual
By 9spaceking (my "username" from the place I posted it)

I woke up to the sound of alarm as usual.
7:00 AM, looks like I woke up just on time as I usually do.
I ate my breakfast, cereal and milk, as usual, then made my way to the school stop--
like usual.
The bus took about 10 minutes to get to school--just like usual.
Then, I walked off the bus, chatting with my best friend.

Just like usual.

"Hey, how's it going, Nye?" My best friend Jack asked amiably.
His usual self.
"It's been fine, but the paint in my basement has yet to melt." I smile and wink as we both laugh at our inner joke, like we usually do.
"Well, what are you going to do?" Jack played along, like he usually does.
"I'm going to hire the 'lumberjack'!" I exclaimed, and we both laughed while other students just walked by.

Just. like. the usual.

But just as we were halfway to reaching the school door, I stopped.
I saw something very peculiar.

Seven things, to be specific.

The parking lot was vastly empty, but --
the cars were here a minute ago.

The tree by the sidewalk normally made of wood was now--
made out of books.
The other students were not wearing their uniforms.

The American flag had been changed to a horrid drawing of a zombie.
The windows had simply....

vanished into thin air.

There was actually a pool on the third floor.

What was worse, the teachers were swimming in it, having fun,
unable to tell that the whole school grounds have been turned--
strange, to say the least.

And I knew no way to the third floor.

and most peculiar of all,
most peculiar of all----
Most Peculiar Of All....

Bill Joe was sitting there, just doing his history homework as usual.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
el_em_en_oh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:44:02 PM
The Jagermeister factory is a huge gothic castle that sits deep in the black forests of Germany. It can only be found by consuming a fifth of the dark brown liquor and passing out drunk on your friends porch in the rain. This past weekend I had the luck to experience just that. I wanted to share my visit with the good people of "ber so as they know where this magical drink comes from. My guide was a man named Hubertus. I think he is the patron saint of vomiting miserably.

The first room we came to was where the deer are held prisoner. I stared aghast as I entered the room behind Hubertus. All around us hundreds of deer were being kept in cages barely large enough for them to stand in. Hubertus explained with a savage glee that the deer were being slowly bled to death. He showed me under the cages where the blood was collected and streamed into a large vat that was the beginnings of a batch of Jagermeister. I looked into the soft brown eyes of one of the caged bucks and could see the reflections of sorority girls across the world, drunk on Jager and stripping naked. I thanked the royal animal for his sacrifice. Hubertus hiccupped, dipped his hand in the collecting pool and licked the warm red deer blood from his fingertips. I still hear the screams of the deer in my skull and see their suffering when I close my eyes.

We moved along through the castle. The hallways were dark and much like the drink, best served cold. I shivered violently, probably because in another world, my body was lying on a concrete porch being pounded by cold rain.

In the next room 56 herbs were being added to the deer's blood and slowly stirred at a medium heat by hot naked German bitches. Hubertus pointed a few of the key ingredients out to me. Black licorice, which I find disgusting, is one of Jager's most noticeable components. Others include opium and chocolate. Hubertus packed a fatty bowl of the opium and we chased the dragon while the German bitches stirred the pot. When asked where the opium that goes into Jagermeister is grown, Hubertus told me that for thousands of years Osama Bin Laden has owned sole rights to providing the Jager company with its Afghan opium. I told Hubertus that it was some of the best opium I had ever smoked and he laughed joyfully then punched me in the throat.

The last room, Hubertus explained, was the most important. It was where the final ingredient of Jagermeister was carefully inserted into the concoction. When I asked what this mystery ingredient was, Hubertus smiled a wicked smile.

"Anger, my boy. Don't you know that Jagermeister contains a unusually high percentage of anger?" When I thought about it, it all made sense.

We entered the room and I suddenly wanted to fight my mother. In front of me was a pool full of Jagermeister and people seeping violence, hatred and rage out of their pores and into the liquor. I saw Muslims reading Danish cartoons, Cindy Sheehan being a$$ raped by Bush, professional wrestlers, people reading Ubersite, poor people, rappers, punk rockers, French Muslims, the KKK, Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf, and Jesus and Mohammad sucking each other's dick$ off, which should pi$$ somebody off.

I broke Hubertus' neck for punching my throat. Threw his body in the anger vat. Grabbed one of the naked German stirrer b1tches by the tit$ and was almost out of the castle when I woke up in the rain with a carrot in my a$$ and BALLS written on my forehead.

Originally posted at UBERSITE.com
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:02:07 PM
She walked into the room wearing nothing but a shawl that thinly covered her bare, smooth skin.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:46:57 PM
I once had a dream--I think it was a dream--about living in a spectral city. Everything about it was worthy of awe, and, strangely, perfectly maintained--the beautiful architecture, fashioned by the most brilliant mind I've never met, is consistently enchanting, and its allure is my most viciously-guarded possession.

In this place, the sun never rises, and the calm silence of nighttime becomes my closest companion. I am the only one to walk the streets; I've not the faintest idea where the others have gone, or whether there ever really were others, but I cannot help coming into contact with the fruits of their industry: the grass is freshly cut each day, and the windows are polished to an almost painful shine. I think sometimes that they peek at me from behind their curtains, hesitant to show themselves until I am myself safely sequestered, but their houses are always empty. I see receding shadows, glimmers in the alleys, but they always elude pursuit.

I enjoy walking the streets here. There are never cars on the road--frankly, I cannot remember if ever there were--and, placing one foot gingerly in front of the other, again and again, I can playfully straddle the median. They are good roads, well-paved and with no potholes I've ever found. They are perfect for me.

The shops are no less enchanting. I went just the other day to one of my favorite bakeries. Immediately upon entering, the sweet, intoxicating aroma of a cherry danish greeted my nose, and, to my surprise, the delectable treat had already been plated for me, hot and fresh, at the front counter. I rang the bell, intent on paying for my prize, but I never caught sight of an attendant. I felt uneasy at first about absconding with my confection, but none among the staff objected. They are always infinitely generous with me.

I am never constrained by appointments or deadlines here. Every day is a new opportunity to explore, and there never seems to be a shortage of new attractions and curiosities. I have nowhere to be, and nothing more to do. But then, there is nothing left to be done. The city and I are partners in death. I remember reading of a rumor that there are other cities like this one, only filled to the brim with cadaverous marionettes moving frenetically, restlessly about in the hope of convincing themselves that they are still alive.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:12:44 PM
At 4/9/2014 10:38:45 PM, kbub wrote:

Aww I was going to do this but I also hope to become published. I posted one of my stories in a debate a couple years ago, but it was a link to the story and I got Airmax to delete that debate round... does it still belong to Juggle?
yang.
Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:18:28 PM
What do you mean cemetery?!" Jill replied. She was deathly afraid of caskets ever since she saw her grandma in one.

"Don't worry!" Said Danny. "It will be perfectly fine."

Danny knew it wouldn't be fine. There had been rumors of grave robbers and and criminals hiding out there. Yet he still tried to persuade Jill to go with him.

"This will be the best prank of the century!" Danny thought.

Danny arranged for his best friend, Liam, to jump out in a ghoul costume. It was supposed to be a harmless prank. Jill screaming loud into the night, and Danny and Liam laughing their butts off. After that, they were going to leave her there tied up in the graveyard for the whole night.

After a good hour of convincing, Jill agrees to go along with Liam and Danny to the cemetery.

Once they spend a half a mile walking through the forest, they finally reach the first grave stone. The graveyard was covered in fog, a spooky atmosphere, and even spider webs across some of the grave stones. it was what Danny and Liam would walk in the graveyard to see and then some.

"a..are you sure we should be doing this?" A nervous Jill replied.

" Don't worry. It will just be a minute." Danny replied.

Throughout the walk to the center of the cemetery, Jill kept asking the same question over and over. It started to annoy Danny. A rage built up in him. Something he had never faced before. He shoves Jill violently with her easily falling to the ground.

"Stop asking the same damn question!" Danny screamed with rage!

Liam was right behind him, and with the coward he is, he wouldn't dare life a finger.

Jill rapidly starts crawling and trying to get up to run away. But, Danny tackles her! Jill yells with a loud scream! Danny and Liam tie her up to the grave stone, and leave her until morning.

As the sun rised, they knew they better get Jill untied, or else she would probably call the cops. They reach the center of the graveyard. They find Jill with her skin stripped clean. She has been dead for a while.

"Wha... What the F**k!" Danny screams. "We need to hide this body. NOW."

So Danny and Liam go to a river, and dump Jill's lifeless body in the cool winter waters. Liam starts crying, while Danny has a stone face, showing no emotion, no remorse for what they had done.

Danny and Liam are up late that night, teeming with guilt. Her parents and the police just started hanging Jill's lost signs.

"All we can do is live and forget." Danny says.

"No, it is because of us she is dead!" Liam exclaims.

"Keep your F**king voice down!" Danny says in a loud whisper.

Liam then splashes his drink all over Danny's clothes.

"What the h**l did you do that for?!" Danny asks.

Liam has no reply.

Danny enters the closet to change into clean clothes. Twenty minutes later, and Danny has still not came out of the closet. He knocks on the door and gets no reply. He bursts in to find Danny. Danny, his throat cut, disemboweled, wrists slit, and eye ball hanging out. Liam shrieks in horror! He stumbles back into the bedroom. He sees the door start to open as he hears a creak. He sees a black dress on the other side.

I hope you enjoyed it!
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:04:34 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:03:49 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Hope you like it!
https://docs.google.com...

I'm also working on a poetry anthology.

Copyright-Tyler Graham
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:02:40 PM
Jack Fitzgerald woke up to the striking sound of my alarm clock on Friday morning. The week was over, he was happy about it, as every middle school student would be. Jack rolled over and dragged himself up out of bed and turned the clock off. He threw on his favorite blue T-shirt over the bare skin.
"Honey, breakfast is ready," said his mother. He moaned, and walked downstairs. There was a typical breakfast on the table: eggs with bacon on the side. Jack ate about half the meal and glanced at the grandfather clock and saw 6:57 on the screen. He quickly went up the stairs to brush his teeth. While he was running up the stairs, he tripped on the steps, and scraped his knee. He felt a burning pain in his entire leg from the fall. It was different type of pain though. This was the first sign.
"Honey, what happened? Are you okay?" His mother said, while Jack walked with a limp.
"Yeah, fine," he said. His mother smiled back at him.
He went upstairs and brushed his teeth like how he normally would.

He ran outside into the hot humid Aruba sun. Fanning himself with his hand, he walked out into the street heading to his bus stop. Suddenly, he bumped into a man walking down the street onto his way to his job. Jack smiled and apologized like how he normally would. But the man didn't reply what jack thought he would have replied.
"Go home, Jack," he said what a indescribably horrid face. Jack scurried away quickly, but when he arrived at his bus stop, he was faced with another horror.

"Come, home Jack," he saw his parents say, with a creepy smile on their faces.
He was horrified with shock. It wasn't a dream, and he new that.
"Come home, Jack," he heard them say again. He ran home with all his might, he didn't care what was happening anymore. He just knew he had to get out of there.

He ran an saw his friend, Jacqueline, walking to the bus stop.

"Hey," she said with a smile. But her face suddenly changed from the happy joyful girl to the false cover of a drone-like person. "Go back home, Jack."

He didn't understand what was going on anymore, he just felt that he had to get out of there.

He suddenly fell face first on the stairs on part of the sidewalk. He felt a tinging sensation going through his whole body. He couldn't move, not a single muscle. So many things were going through his mind. Why? How?

Then he remembered.

It was Friday the 13th
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
EnigmaticWallflower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 10:54:48 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:03:49 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Hope you like it!
https://docs.google.com...

I'm also working on a poetry anthology.

"I blame violent video games." Lol.

Epic. I loved it.:)