Jump to topic:

World Schools Debate

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 10:20:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As some of you may know, I did high school debate, but I joined somewhat recently, and as I'm a senior, I only got a few tournaments in. For this reason, I organized a new tournament in a style that none of had really done before (World Schools), and we all had a great time doing impromptu debates!

If you want to watch one of my rounds and give me feedback, I would really appreciate it. My side was the affirmative, and the resolution was about the legalization of prostitution.

https://www.youtube.com...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 10:21:30 AM
Alright, I can't figure out how to get it to start at the beginning. You're going to have to just rewind haha.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 11:57:55 AM
At 4/13/2014 10:21:30 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Lol this was good. I haven't ever heard a good pro-illegalising prostitution argument, I just realized. Perhaps they could have upped the exploitation on women and played up the emotional impact and inequality in the terms of contract- but this was a clear win for your team lol.

I loved the "most people dont like prostitution bcoz religion hence it should be illegal. abstinence yo."
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:29:08 PM
At 4/13/2014 11:57:55 AM, Cermank wrote:

Lol this was good. I haven't ever heard a good pro-illegalising prostitution argument, I just realized. Perhaps they could have upped the exploitation on women and played up the emotional impact and inequality in the terms of contract- but this was a clear win for your team lol.

Thanks! And neither have I. I mean, the whole exploitation of women thing doesn't make sense to me, because that seems to be taking away from the agency of women to make choices for themselves, and is, if anything patriarchal.

I loved the "most people dont like prostitution bcoz religion hence it should be illegal. abstinence yo."

Yeah... lol.

Earlier in the day we went against a team that had a 12 contention case. That was fun, but I didn't get that one on film, unfortunately.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:48:01 PM
At 4/13/2014 1:29:08 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Thanks! And neither have I. I mean, the whole exploitation of women thing doesn't make sense to me, because that seems to be taking away from the agency of women to make choices for themselves, and is, if anything patriarchal.

Debates aren't really about being right though. It's about swaying the audience to your side. If I was Con, I'd have gone on about how prostitutes aren't happy being prostitutes and would gladly turn over to a different profession if given a chance/ state support. Maybe throw in a few sentimental quotes. And about how prostitution contract would bend in favour of the client, making exploitation inherent in the system. Or something like that.

Quotes go a long way in RL debates, I've noticed.

Yeah... lol.

Earlier in the day we went against a team that had a 12 contention case. That was fun, but I didn't get that one on film, unfortunately.

Ah, that sounds fun. Same topic?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:51:51 PM
At 4/13/2014 1:48:01 PM, Cermank wrote:

Debates aren't really about being right though. It's about swaying the audience to your side. If I was Con, I'd have gone on about how prostitutes aren't happy being prostitutes and would gladly turn over to a different profession if given a chance/ state support. Maybe throw in a few sentimental quotes. And about how prostitution contract would bend in favour of the client, making exploitation inherent in the system. Or something like that.

I know. I just don't think that would have been difficult to refute.

Sort of hard to do that impromptu haha

Yeah... lol.

Nah. We learned each topic thirty minutes prior to each debate. That one was on lowering the legal drinking age to 18. It wasn't to difficult to deal with though because they completely misinterpreted the resolution and I was able to lump all their contentions together and turn the impacts to my side.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 2:04:58 PM
At 4/13/2014 1:51:51 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Probably. I wish we had a strong pro prostitution person on DDO.

Haha, I once made up an on the spot quote from a 'homeless person who I talked to while returning from work' about how much he wanted to leave the drug life and be a productive member of the society but couldn't because government just keeps on increasing the prices of drugs pushing them into poverty. Everyone was pulling my leg afterwards about the below the belt strike but the chair was impressed XD

Yeah... lol.

Nah. We learned each topic thirty minutes prior to each debate. That one was on lowering the legal drinking age to 18. It wasn't to difficult to deal with though because they completely misinterpreted the resolution and I was able to lump all their contentions together and turn the impacts to my side.

Haha, that's classic.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 2:16:41 PM
At 4/13/2014 2:04:58 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 4/13/2014 1:51:51 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Probably. I wish we had a strong pro prostitution person on DDO.

Haha, I once made up an on the spot quote from a 'homeless person who I talked to while returning from work' about how much he wanted to leave the drug life and be a productive member of the society but couldn't because government just keeps on increasing the prices of drugs pushing them into poverty. Everyone was pulling my leg afterwards about the below the belt strike but the chair was impressed XD

I want to bow to you. Where can I bow to you?

Yeah... lol.

Haha, that's classic.