Jump to topic:

Dating Older Women

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 9:11:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here's the deal: I give you my story and you give me feedback/advice.

This week is Songkran (Thai New Years). Every Songkran, there is a nationwide water festival (war). The moment you step out of your house, you are soaked and drenched with water. Everywhere you walk, you see people carrying water guns, buckets, and all of them are soaked. This Water Festival lasts for 3 days.

Today is the 2nd day, and I went to the city moat with my friends to participate in the "war". It was lots of fun. We walked to this place commonly known in the area as "Booze Bus". It's basically a place that serves alcohol. In Thailand, it is very common for teenagers in International Schools to go out clubbing, partying, and drinking. I don't do this very often, only on very special occasions like this.

At Booze Bus, we socialized with a lot of other peers in different schools. There, I met my best friend's ex-girlfriend (who's in good terms with him and essentially my best friend who's a girl) and her older adopted sister, Su. After a couple of drinks and some smoking, we decided to go back to the moat and play with water.

I dropped something in the moat (I forgot what it was because I was slightly drunk), so I dived into the moat to retrieve it. Upon seeing me enter the moat, Su and another girl dived in with me. When I got out, I saw that they were too drunk and disoriented to get themselves out, so I had to carry Su on my back all the way back to Booze Bus, where most of my peers and her sister was, so that she could take a break.

I sat Su on a chair and was told by her sister to look after her while she socializes with her friends. We sat alone together for a while, conversing. We were both drunk, but I knew how to drink responsibly, therefore I was much less drunk than her. One thing led to another and we ended up kissing (making out) several times that evening.

I had very mixed feelings about it, so I informed her younger sister, who actually encouraged me to "go for it." I really liked her since last month when I met her (when I wasn't drunk). And it has been apparent from what she's told me and what her sister's told me that she has feelings for me as well, so it is definitely not the just the alcohol. I desire to pursue a relationship with this woman. When I left for home, we even kissed.

But here's the thing: she's 21, and I'm 17. She's an adult and I am not. I go to high school, she does not. I feel like if I pursue a relationship with her, I cannot be committed enough because of school. I won't have enough time for her, although my friends have told me that she would understand.

I'm seeing her tomorrow, the last day of Songkran. Any advice?
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:12:12 AM
At 4/14/2014 9:11:09 AM, Defro wrote:

This week is Songkran (Thai New Years). Every Songkran, there is a nationwide water festival (war). The moment you step out of your house, you are soaked and drenched with water. Everywhere you walk, you see people carrying water guns, buckets, and all of them are soaked. This Water Festival lasts for 3 days.

Today is the 2nd day, and I went to the city moat with my friends to participate in the "war". It was lots of fun. We walked to this place commonly known in the area as "Booze Bus". It's basically a place that serves alcohol. In Thailand, it is very common for teenagers in International Schools to go out clubbing, partying, and drinking. I don't do this very often, only on very special occasions like this.

At Booze Bus, we socialized with a lot of other peers in different schools. There, I met my best friend's ex-girlfriend (who's in good terms with him and essentially my best friend who's a girl) and her older adopted sister, Su. After a couple of drinks and some smoking, we decided to go back to the moat and play with water.

I dropped something in the moat (I forgot what it was because I was slightly drunk), so I dived into the moat to retrieve it. Upon seeing me enter the moat, Su and another girl dived in with me. When I got out, I saw that they were too drunk and disoriented to get themselves out, so I had to carry Su on my back all the way back to Booze Bus, where most of my peers and her sister was, so that she could take a break.

I sat Su on a chair and was told by her sister to look after her while she socializes with her friends. We sat alone together for a while, conversing. We were both drunk, but I knew how to drink responsibly, therefore I was much less drunk than her. One thing led to another and we ended up kissing (making out) several times that evening.

I had very mixed feelings about it, so I informed her younger sister, who actually encouraged me to "go for it." I really liked her since last month when I met her (when I wasn't drunk). And it has been apparent from what she's told me and what her sister's told me that she has feelings for me as well, so it is definitely not the just the alcohol. I desire to pursue a relationship with this woman. When I left for home, we even kissed.

But here's the thing: she's 21, and I'm 17. She's an adult and I am not. I go to high school, she does not. I feel like if I pursue a relationship with her, I cannot be committed enough because of school. I won't have enough time for her, although my friends have told me that she would understand.

If you want to do it, do it! Why not pursue something potentially beautiful? Even if it doesn't work out, 'tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:34:08 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:12:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:

If you want to do it, do it! Why not pursue something potentially beautiful? Even if it doesn't work out, 'tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

That's debatable. From personal experience, I have seen and experienced sometimes to have loved and lost entails pain, remorse, and potentially depression.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:40:07 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:34:08 AM, Defro wrote:

That's debatable. From personal experience, I have seen and experienced sometimes to have loved and lost entails pain, remorse, and potentially depression.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -Teddy Roosevelt

^^^ That was my signature for a while.

The contrast of misery and joy is what makes life worth living.

If you like her, and she likes you, what good reason is there to separate you?

"Sha-la-la-la-la-la
My, oh, my
Look at the boy too shy
He ain't gonna kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Ain't that sad
Ain't it shame, too bad
You gonna miss the girl"
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 2:57:25 PM
At 4/14/2014 11:34:08 AM, Defro wrote:

Just do it. You're gong to experience plenty of those, pain, remorse and devastation even with a successful relationship. So might as well get the experience out of the way now, and enjoy it while you can :-)
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:15:59 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:15:35 PM, Defro wrote:
At 4/14/2014 3:11:39 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
That isn't much of an age difference.

It is for a high schooler :P

hmmm I mean I guess that's true.

I think it's not as big of a deal as you think it is really.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:37:49 PM
I'm glad I didn't miss this... you should pay mind to what Benjamin Franklin had to say about young men pursuing older women. It is worth the quick read my friend:

http://www.swarthmore.edu...
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
invisibledeity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 4:17:11 PM

If you want MY ADVICE, I would just have sex already!!! LOL
ironsmile360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 6:12:59 PM

I say go for it. When I was 17, I met & fell for a 28 year old female & it was the best time/experience of my life, which matured me & prepared me very quickly for the rest of my life in every aspect. Live life to it's fullest and enrich the people you meet with kindness.
Ironsmile360
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 6:35:46 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Go for it, because if you doesn't work out then at least you can say you tried and if it does work out then great!
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 10:55:21 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:37:49 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I'm glad I didn't miss this... you should pay mind to what Benjamin Franklin had to say about young men pursuing older women. It is worth the quick read my friend:

lol that's in my AP English Language and Composition textbook. A lot of his reasons can apply to Su, except for the first one that claimed we would hold more interesting conversations. I fear I'm not fluent enough in Thai :P
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 10:59:27 PM
At 4/14/2014 4:17:11 PM, invisibledeity wrote:

That is terrible advice
I may or may not be a cat
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:01:50 PM
At 4/14/2014 10:55:21 PM, Defro wrote:

lol that's in my AP English Language and Composition textbook. A lot of his reasons can apply to Su, except for the first one that claimed we would hold more interesting conversations. I fear I'm not fluent enough in Thai :P

I think you got this :) heck you could even spin that in your favor by asking her to help you learn more Thai. I agree with others in the sense that you should just try and enjoy yourself, if you have a good enough time - I'm sure it won't be the last time you'll ever see her throughout life.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 7:41:49 AM
At 4/14/2014 10:59:27 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:

That is terrible advice

I would have taken it if I was drunk enough. Thank God I wasn't :P
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 7:43:27 AM
At 4/14/2014 11:01:50 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/14/2014 10:55:21 PM, Defro wrote:

I think you got this :) heck you could even spin that in your favor by asking her to help you learn more Thai. I agree with others in the sense that you should just try and enjoy yourself, if you have a good enough time - I'm sure it won't be the last time you'll ever see her throughout life.

Thanks. We hung out today. It was fun. Had some intimate moments. I'm going to take everyone's advice. Thanks everyone :D
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:35:32 PM
When do you turn 18? Then it's all moot. It's not like you are 12 and she is 21.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 3:33:53 AM
I dated a 27-year-old lawyer at age 20. My friend is 19 and dated a 35-year-old woman in London who paid for everything during his stay.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 9:50:52 PM

If you were older and not in high school, you'd just be replacing 8 hours of school a day with 8 hours of work a day. Only difference is its not guaranteed you'll get weekends off if you're a working adult, so if anything you're better suited for her now (time-wise) than you would be otherwise.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 10:06:14 PM
At 4/19/2014 9:50:52 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

If you were older and not in high school, you'd just be replacing 8 hours of school a day with 8 hours of work a day. Only difference is its not guaranteed you'll get weekends off if you're a working adult, so if anything you're better suited for her now (time-wise) than you would be otherwise.

1:14
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 10:12:14 PM
At 4/19/2014 10:06:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Lmao. I literally lol'd at "you're making it hard...I mean, difficult".
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 11:08:14 PM
At 4/19/2014 10:12:14 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 4/19/2014 10:06:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Lmao. I literally lol'd at "you're making it hard...I mean, difficult".

Haha, if you haven't seen Waiting, you should definitely watch it.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 11:17:43 PM

At least sex her and then decide
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 1:28:06 AM
At 4/20/2014 1:26:58 AM, Defro wrote:
At 4/19/2014 11:17:43 PM, Mikal wrote:

I'm assuming this is one of your drunk messages?

Nope that one is just an objective statement
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 1:29:44 AM

Happy Songkran Defro
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 1:31:10 AM
At 4/20/2014 1:29:44 AM, Kc1999 wrote:

Happy Songkran Defro

You too man!
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 1:33:10 AM
At 4/20/2014 1:31:10 AM, Defro wrote:
At 4/20/2014 1:29:44 AM, Kc1999 wrote:

Happy Songkran Defro

You too man!

It was weird. This Songkran I didn't do anything but give money to temples and stuff. No splashing water. I'm an anti-social turtle.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 1:51:28 AM
At 4/20/2014 1:33:10 AM, Kc1999 wrote:

It was weird. This Songkran I didn't do anything but give money to temples and stuff. No splashing water. I'm an anti-social turtle.

lol I had to do that with my family some years.