Jump to topic:

Publishing Books

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:30:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyone know how I could do this? Or what company is good to do this? I want to publish a book of poems I have enough to do that already and my parents think its a great idea to do it. So I think I wanna do it. :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:31:34 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:30:03 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Anyone know how I could do this? Or what company is good to do this? I want to publish a book of poems I have enough to do that already and my parents think its a great idea to do it. So I think I wanna do it. :)

Have you tried contacting an agent? Have you written a query letter?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:32:23 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:31:34 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

No, how would I go about doing that? I've never done anything like that before.
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:36:17 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:32:23 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

A query letter is essentially you selling your work to an agent. It's a bit like a job interview. You discuss yourself (past publishing/writing successes) and your work. You want to make it sound interesting.

As for literary agents - it's their job to market your book to publishers, should they accept that. A proper literary agent won't charge you anything until a company accepts the book proposal. You can look them up to see what sort of work they're interested in and what their submission guidelines are.

http://www.pw.org...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:47:07 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:36:17 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

A query letter is essentially you selling your work to an agent. It's a bit like a job interview. You discuss yourself (past publishing/writing successes) and your work. You want to make it sound interesting.

As for literary agents - it's their job to market your book to publishers, should they accept that. A proper literary agent won't charge you anything until a company accepts the book proposal. You can look them up to see what sort of work they're interested in and what their submission guidelines are.

Hmmm, okay. I don't know if I wanna sell it though? I'd wanna hand it out to people for free of charge. :) but I guess I could somehow pay for it all and just give out that way? Thanks for the words and the link.
"Good Times" ~ Max
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:49:06 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:47:07 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Hmmm, okay. I don't know if I wanna sell it though? I'd wanna hand it out to people for free of charge. :) but I guess I could somehow pay for it all and just give out that way? Thanks for the words and the link.

e-publishing?
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:50:01 AM

You are probably better off finding a printshop then, who can do bound leaflets/booklets/books with all the aesthetics you are interested in.

Any printshop that does bound thesis' would probably suit your requirements although I'm sure there are other options.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:53:14 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:50:01 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

You are probably better off finding a printshop then, who can do bound leaflets/booklets/books with all the aesthetics you are interested in.

Any printshop that does bound thesis' would probably suit your requirements although I'm sure there are other options.

But lilke I wanna have like either a hard-cover or something.. and a nice design in the front :) we will sees!! Would y'all wanna get one if I made it possible for y'all to get? :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:53:42 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:49:06 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

e-publishing?

How do you do that?
"Good Times" ~ Max
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:54:29 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:53:14 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

But lilke I wanna have like either a hard-cover or something.. and a nice design in the front :) we will sees!! Would y'all wanna get one if I made it possible for y'all to get? :)

Print shops can so hard bound stuff too, which is how I gotta get my thesis printed lol.

And sure.

God most likely exists:
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:55:00 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:53:42 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

e-publishing?

How do you do that?

I'd do a Google search for self-e-publishing.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:55:12 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:54:29 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:53:14 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Print shops can so hard bound stuff too, which is how I gotta get my thesis printed lol.

And sure.

Wow, okay, where would I find to do this then?
"Good Times" ~ Max
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:55:41 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:55:00 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

e-publishing?

How do you do that?

Okie dokie pokie :)
thanks! Two ideas so far!
"Good Times" ~ Max
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:57:38 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:55:41 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

e-publishing?

How do you do that?

I think I would check out endarkened's first :-)

God most likely exists:
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:58:08 AM
At 4/29/2014 10:57:38 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:55:41 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

e-publishing?

How do you do that?

I think I would check out endarkened's first :-)

alright, sounds good :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
Intrepid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 3:29:22 PM

Will you share one or some of your poems with us?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:28:09 PM

Most publishing companies have on their web page a procedure to go through to submit your book for publication.

I would go to the poetry section of the library or book store, look at the kinds of poetry books that are similar to what you want to purchase (for example, if it's a children's book, like Shel Silverstein, or something), and find out who is publishing that kind of book. Then look up the publisher on the internet. Search around on their page and you should find the procedure for submitting your work.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:29:00 PM

Then you should self-publish. No publisher is going to publish your book unless they think they can make a profit from it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 8:01:18 PM
My Dad and friend Courtney both said that I can self-publish through Amazon and make charge how I want. SO I think that's what I'm gonna do! I can make it as an e-book or however. So this'll be interesting. Next I'll need to start finishing up the music I started for the lyrics I've written :)
"Good Times" ~ Max