Jump to topic:

Nearing Three Years

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:32:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I joined DDO about three years ago, this summer. In that time, I've seen quite a few people come and go. There were old faces like Oyrus who made this site a better place. And there are new ones, like Mikal who continue to push us forward. There are members who have stayed through it all, like thett3 and newer members like bsh1 who have become the reason that I keep coming back. There was a time when I think that DDO was a bit more obscure than it is now -when the layout made sense, the banner wasn't greater than 150 pixels and the opinion/poll sections didn't exist. It's neat to go back through and see some of the old posts and forum topics and compare them with where we are now. I think even in my own posts, they're pretty endemic of who I am and how I've changed over these years. I am a part of this thing that we have, and this place is very much a part of me -as I think it is with us all.

It is true that DDO is a different place now than it was even one year ago, and that change over time has left some in a state of discontent especially as the site has grown and new members from all over the world have joined. The friction that's occurred there isn't abnormal, because where we were once a pretty esoteric debate site with a budding forum culture, we are now just a part of much larger whole. As new members join, many of the "old guard" have left and those who remain become even more discontented with the state of things as they are now and I understand why. And yet even more, I understand why those who stayed, stayed.

I've had a lot of very good friends here, and I've known -for better or worse- all kinds of different kinds of people on here that I don't think I could have met in any other way. There is not even one single long-standing, regularly active member here who I would have a hard time saying something positive about. It's a rare in a community where the people here all have something truly both unique and worthwhile to offer. Even more rare is when the vast majority of those members are genuinely good people. We all have our moments of contention and even some heated disagreements with others -but it's the people that keep me coming back. In those three years, I think my time has been well spent getting to know you all and I'm grateful for it. Especially bsh1. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that he's the best thing to happen to me, not only on DDO, but in my life, in quite some time.

What's important to recognize is that this site is what we make of it. If we passively accept that fate or something external to ourselves will visit disappointment and tragedy upon us, and relegate our vision of what this place ought to be to the kind of wistful lamentation that we afford a dream deferred, then nothing is going to improve. The outcome we seek to avoid is going to become the reality we bear, and to some degree it already has. When we continue to interact with members that are caustic to this forum, we encourage them to continue on just as much as when we fail to acknowledge the kind of behavior that falls short of what member behavior ought to be, we tacitly endorse it.

That is not to imply that there is a universal (or even near universal) consensus on how members ought to be. We all have different standards and frameworks for delineating good forum conduct from bad -but the principles behind those standards and frameworks are grounded in values that we all hold which serve, and ought to serve as a barrier to entry not just for this community but for every community. Honesty -especially intellectual honesty, empathy, camaraderie and dignity are pretty universal. They translate into not posting BS, treating others with due respect, mutually held friendship and trust, and above all affording respect to those on the basis that it's due. These are the foundation on which a community like ours can "work."

When we have people who seek to goad others into conflagration, who petulantly incite conflicts on the basis of their unfounded personal animosity and the like -it is not just the hostile member and his or her subject that suffers, but the community as a whole because the standards that govern our interaction have been usurped. But there were so many usurpations of late that steps needed to be taken to establish a benchmark/baseline against which behavior could be measured. It's sad that we got to that point -but we did, and the reason that we did is because as a community we either failed to recognize and respond to unacceptable behavior or, perhaps worse, because we welcomed it and defended it, shielding it from what it was due.

Make no mistake, this is not a call to arms in response to moderator inaction. It's a solicitation for us all to take an inventory of why we are here. There are many good reasons to join DDO: the pursuit of friendship, intellectual edification, membership and a sense of place in a community all probably rank among the best. But, coming here with the intent of vindicating one's own sense of superiority, with the effect of inciting conflict of maliciously hurting other people cannot be the reasons why anyone joins. Whether we all individually understand or agree with the principles behind norms that denote ethical standards of conduct -we all share an equal responsibility to treat others as they ought to be treated.

That is why words like "f@g" have no place in this forum. A word like "f@g" or "f@ggot" cannot be used without either malicious intent or effect. If a person does not, themselves, understand why the word "f@g" or "f@ggot" should never be used in any setting, their ignorance or lack of ability to empathize with those that word is meant to attack does not vindicate their use of it. Likewise, cultural differences do not justify the word "f@ggot" having any place in this forum or civilized conversation anywhere nor do shallow assurances of "not indenting to be offensive" excuse its use. A person cannot both say that they "support homosexuality" and then use the word "f@ggot." The behavior is incompatible with the statement, and actions speak louder than words.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:29:42 AM
Long paragraphs without any logical reasoning might be called "well-written" by naive readers, but they are not going to change anyone's mind. I can easily support homosexuality and use words such as "f@g" and joke around with such word, so your assumption that it is only used in a hostile attitude is very weak and unrealistic.

While I also would like constructive discussions on DDO, joking around with such words doesn't seem to be counter-productive. As Wittgenstein one said, "If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."

Your whole perception of DDO seems to be much like a place where intellectuals meet and fill the place with fancy British terms as they discuss non-controversial issues, each taking a longer time to boastfully shadow others with his word-choice and sophisticated manner of speech. That is not the perception of DDO most people have, so you're up for a big disappointment if you continue living in delusions and expecting this website to follow the footsteps of a 4 year-old member who has never done anything worthwhile in his stay here, but simply urged this place to discuss less "bestiality" because that doesn't fit with the unrealistic and elitist perception he has of DDO.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 12:02:13 PM
At 5/9/2014 2:29:42 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

I just don't even care, and I don't think anyone else other than rross, esocialbookworm or zmikecuber pays any concern to what you've got to say. The sheer pretentiousness of what you wrote is alone enough to make a reasonable person dismiss you outrightly, but the fact that no good comes from explaining to you why you're not only wrong but immeasurably out of touch with reality leads me to believe that there's no real reason to bother dealing with you. Your delusions of grandeur, however, are increasingly becoming a source of amusement for me. It was Ben Franklin who said that "being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." And perhaps even more shameful than merely being unwilling to learn is to be unwilling to learn because one is convinced of their own brilliance. It's fancifully amusing for me to think about, to the extent that i'll allow myself to indulge in sentiments of schadenfreude -but rather pitiful for you, recalcitrantly obstinate as you are. But hey, I don't really expect much more... because I can't. There but for the grace of God go I...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 12:22:38 PM
At 5/9/2014 12:02:13 PM, YYW wrote:

I just don't even care, and I don't think anyone else other than rross, esocialbookworm or zmikecuber pays any concern to what you've got to say. The sheer pretentiousness of what you wrote is alone enough to make a reasonable person dismiss you outrightly, but the fact that no good comes from explaining to you why you're not only wrong but immeasurably out of touch with reality leads me to believe that there's no real reason to bother dealing with you. Your delusions of grandeur, however, are increasingly becoming a source of amusement for me. It was Ben Franklin who said that "being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." And perhaps even more shameful than merely being unwilling to learn is to be unwilling to learn because one is convinced of their own brilliance. It's fancifully amusing for me to think about, to the extent that i'll allow myself to indulge in sentiments of schadenfreude -but rather pitiful for you, recalcitrantly obstinate as you are. But hey, I don't really expect much more... because I can't. There but for the grace of God go I...

Who even is this kid?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 12:55:30 PM

It's pointless to talk to someone who just personally insults without any good counterarguments to the points I brought forward. Tell you what, ask your Jesus to come over. I'll speak, he'll speak, we'll take turns and you would sit and listen to two grownups talking.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:13:32 PM
At 5/9/2014 12:22:38 PM, Noumena wrote:

Who even is this kid?

lol, just some guy on the internet who likes to be a douche.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:15:17 PM
At 5/9/2014 12:55:30 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
It's pointless to talk to someone...

lol, you should probably fvck off then.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:26:43 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:13:32 PM, YYW wrote:

Who even is this kid?

They're a dime a dozen. Whatevs at least he'll drop off the site in a few weeks like they all do.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:29:27 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:26:43 PM, Noumena wrote:

Who even is this kid?

They're a dime a dozen. Whatevs at least he'll drop off the site in a few weeks like they all do.

Idk. I think it would be best for him if he did, but I think he'll be around for a while. He seems to delight in causing other people problems (which is clear based on his repeated unwillingness to modify his demonstrably provocative behavior), so I don't think he's going to go of his own volition. But yeah, douches are like that.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:32:41 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:29:27 PM, YYW wrote:

Who even is this kid?

Idk. I think it would be best for him if he did, but I think he'll be around for a while. He seems to delight in causing other people problems (which is clear based on his repeated unwillingness to modify his demonstrably provocative behavior), so I don't think he's going to go of his own volition. But yeah, douches are like that.

I think it's a straight guy thing. When literally everything is all about you you have trouble relating other people's concerns in a way that doesn't put you in the center of attention. So when someone tells him that f@g is an offensive term that shouldn't be used he automatically relates it to himself (e.g. I use it all the time as a joke, etc. etc.) instead of empathizing with people who, perhaps, don't relate to the word in the same way.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:38:29 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:32:41 PM, Noumena wrote:

Who even is this kid?

I think it's a straight guy thing. When literally everything is all about you you have trouble relating other people's concerns in a way that doesn't put you in the center of attention. So when someone tells him that f@g is an offensive term that shouldn't be used he automatically relates it to himself (e.g. I use it all the time as a joke, etc. etc.) instead of empathizing with people who, perhaps, don't relate to the word in the same way.

Yeah you're right for the most part. People can be narcissistic like that, but I think that in his case, the narcissism he displays only produces the kind of response we're seeing here because it's working in tandem with his immaturity. Rather than making the personal effort to consider someone else's perspective and how they relate to the world around them, he wants instead to argue with the premise that he doesn't find the word offensive therefore he should be able to use it. That kind of justification demonstrates either an inability or unwillingness to empathize with others. If either, he's probably just immature but if both, then he's probably a mild sociopath.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:40:05 PM

Who even is this kid?

Haha. I condemn you to stay.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:40:37 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:40:05 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Who even is this kid?

That doesn't even make grammatical sense... good job. lol
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:43:26 PM

Who even is this kid?

Btw. the thing you'll love about this guy is that he thinks he's a philosophy buff. He literally misinterprets Wittgenstein and Ayer and acts like he knows what he's talking about. It's pretty amusing, especially because he thinks that not is he smarter than me, but that he's smarter than everyone else here. He also think's he's more well read than I am.

roflmao
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:45:03 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:38:29 PM, YYW wrote:

Who even is this kid?

Yeah you're right for the most part. People can be narcissistic like that, but I think that in his case, the narcissism he displays only produces the kind of response we're seeing here because it's working in tandem with his immaturity. Rather than making the personal effort to consider someone else's perspective and how they relate to the world around them, he wants instead to argue with the premise that he doesn't find the word offensive therefore he should be able to use it. That kind of justification demonstrates either an inability or unwillingness to empathize with others. If either, he's probably just immature but if both, then he's probably a mild sociopath.

Regardless of the cause it's become clear from what I've seen that he's simply uninterested in taking into account how actual gay people experience the word. If that's the case it's best to inform them of how wrong they are then just tell 'em to f'ck off.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:45:57 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:45:03 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 5/9/2014 1:38:29 PM, YYW wrote:

Who even is this kid?

Regardless of the cause it's become clear from what I've seen that he's simply uninterested in taking into account how actual gay people experience the word. If that's the case it's best to inform them of how wrong they are then just tell 'em to f'ck off.

Yep. Maybe one day he'll grow up... but I doubt it.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:48:01 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:40:37 PM, YYW wrote:

Who even is this kid?

I would tell you the same thing. If you read up some philosophy, you would realize it's a historic, translated quote from Diogenes.

'To the citizens of Sinope who banished him, he answered, "I condemn you to stay in your houses."'

"Stay" and "stay on DDO" are interchangeable, so good job to you.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:48:32 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:43:26 PM, YYW wrote:

Who even is this kid?

Btw. the thing you'll love about this guy is that he thinks he's a philosophy buff. He literally misinterprets Wittgenstein and Ayer and acts like he knows what he's talking about. It's pretty amusing, especially because he thinks that not is he smarter than me, but that he's smarter than everyone else here. He also think's he's more well read than I am.

roflmao

I'm not comfortable talking about Ayer, regardless of my knowledge on the subject lol
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:49:06 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:48:01 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Who even is this kid?

I would tell you the same thing. If you read up some philosophy, you would realize it's a historic, translated quote from Diogenes.

'To the citizens of Sinope who banished him, he answered, "I condemn you to stay in your houses."'

oh my god what a nerd
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:49:16 PM

Who even is this kid?

lol, way to miss the issue... this is just sad.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:50:20 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:49:06 PM, Noumena wrote:

Who even is this kid?

oh my god what a nerd

lol, I know, right? He's not even a gifted nerd...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:50:48 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:50:08 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

You always say that when you're cornered. Please enlighten me.

roflmao, you 'actually' think I'm cornered right now?
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:52:05 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:50:48 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/9/2014 1:50:08 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

You always say that when you're cornered. Please enlighten me.

roflmao, you 'actually' think I'm cornered right now?

You're right, not cornered. I just mopped the floor with you. Anyway, have fun with Noumena. Lol.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:53:45 PM
At 5/9/2014 1:50:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/9/2014 1:49:06 PM, Noumena wrote:

Who even is this kid?

oh my god what a nerd

lol, I know, right? He's not even a gifted nerd...

Don't you mean gif nerd?
http://static.tumblr.com...