Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

What's Your Life Philosophy?

xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is your ultimate goal to be happy? Content? Do you value love above all things in life? Do you just wing life and see what happens? Live life to its fullest?

DDO, I want to know what your life philosophy is.

My philosophy has some different parts to it:

My philosophy is to be the man whom God created me to be. It takes a little bit of WSA's "be the best you can be" philosophy minus the YOLO part. I'm all about trying to make myself a better person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Part of that philosophy is to experience what life has to give and to push myself to greater heights. Primarily though, my philosophy is to live for God. I do this through the philosophy mentioned above.
Nolite Timere
thett3
Posts: 14,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 7:22:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
"It made a difference for that one."

https://www.goodreads.com...

I've never been much of a church goer, but when I did the preacher once told that story. It really spoke to me for some reason.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:19:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sonami 451: Our lives are not our own. we are bound to others, past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Haskell Moore: No matter what you do it will never amount to anything more than a single drop in a limitless ocean.
Adam Ewing: What is an ocean but a multitude of drops?
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:08:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The purpose of life is to end. On the grand scale, we are meaningless. Nothing we do has any real power. So we settle for the next best thing. We take charge to do what will make a difference, however temporary, in the lives of others. We are nothing as one, but together, our meaning lies in how we shape it.
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:19:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Simply to be happy and do what is right as long as it does not substantially conflict with my happiness. I only wish to do what is right because it makes me happy, and doing something I find to be wrong would make me unhappy. Although if doing what is right would substantially conflict with an interest that would make me happier, I might deviate.
Defro
Posts: 847
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:45:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Is your ultimate goal to be happy? Content? Do you value love above all things in life? Do you just wing life and see what happens? Live life to its fullest?

DDO, I want to know what your life philosophy is.

My philosophy has some different parts to it:

My philosophy is to be the man whom God created me to be. It takes a little bit of WSA's "be the best you can be" philosophy minus the YOLO part. I'm all about trying to make myself a better person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Part of that philosophy is to experience what life has to give and to push myself to greater heights. Primarily though, my philosophy is to live for God. I do this through the philosophy mentioned above.

In the words of my friend's friend's friend's friend: Get rich, f*ck b*tches, take pictures, blackmail b*tches, own b*tches, get f*cked up on various drugs excluding meth and heroin.
orangemayhem
Posts: 333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 1:09:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to have an article about me on Wikipedia after I die.

Funny thing to aspire to, I know. I just want to know I actually accomplished something.
I'm back (ish).
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 7:20:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Humans all seem to be all about getting to where one needs to go as fast as possible. We are all going to die, so why bother with the living part and why not get straight to the dying? Biology seems to stop us. Or else its because life actually has meaning. I chose not to accept the nihilistic view. Life in fact does have intrinsic value and ethics are something that exist and ought to be considered. To explain this the only cause one could possibly use is that transcendental being is a reality. Maybe what we see is not 100% of everything there is.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Kc1999
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 7:27:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/16/2014 9:24:00 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Fvck bitches, get money.

Not bad.

Mines is exploit b*tches and get money.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 12:10:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
My philosophy: All that a single man could possibly do to better his own life can never compare to the immeasurable benefits that mankind has given to him(Fire, Plumbing, Houses capable of keeping those MOTHER FREAKING SPIDERS AWAY FROM ME). It is also clear that being a part of mankind means helping yourself means helping humanity. Therefore the most prudent course is to put your every goal and motivation toward progressing humanity in some small way when it comes to your long term goals, but constantly better yourself in the short term.

Secondary philosophy: Civil argument is the best way to consider any problem. Defending the weaknesses of your position against someone who earnestly disagrees with you is the best way to find flaws in your argument. The only exceptions are when arguments turn aggressive, as it leads people to close their minds, and when one side doesn't actually want to debate the issue.
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 2:42:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I take life day by day. I try to be a good person for the sake of being a good person, try my damnedest to minimize drama and trouble, and for every endeavor I undertake, I try my hardest. Being independent is very important to me.

I am a hedonist and I thirst for knowledge. Combining that with the previous paragraph is what generates my daily decisions and the situations in which I find myself.

Also: all we have is now. To avoid regret, clear a viable path for the future, but don't depend on it.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 4:05:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Chasing the natural.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 11:47:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/17/2014 7:27:25 AM, Kc1999 wrote:
At 5/16/2014 9:24:00 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Fvck bitches, get money.

Not bad.

Mines is exploit b*tches and get money.

You sound like a pimp.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Kc1999
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 11:59:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/18/2014 11:47:45 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/17/2014 7:27:25 AM, Kc1999 wrote:
At 5/16/2014 9:24:00 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Fvck bitches, get money.

Not bad.

Mines is exploit b*tches and get money.

You sound like a pimp.

A pimpy capitalist? Whats next? An exploitive communist? Wait, Engels...nvm
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,025
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 1:26:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
...

I was thrown into this existence against my will. I have incarnated on many worlds, always searching for a being who seems to remain one step ahead of me. I use astral projection to travel in times that don't require me to remain limited by my physical body. I visit other worlds searching, in my spare time, with Earth being my home base for this lifetime. My philosophy is to master whatever lessons this world, mother Gaia, has to teach me. I've noticed cyclic patterns of karmic lessons in this world. It seems that there is a deep issue always present within us, and is always re-presented to us should we not transcend the obstacle the universe has presented our souls to overcome.

I believe that Heaven and Hell both exist in this world, not in some metaphysical realm strategically placed either above or below Earth. I also believe there are many levels of souls and that there are humans with old souls who have simply reincarnated in this world once more because their soul has yet to learn everything this world has to teach in accordance with the possible scenarios we find in this reality. I believe there are other planets which serve to teach the soul other lessons not capable to be learnt here in this specific system of order based on duality.

My ultimate goal is to ascend the ranks of spiritual development and attain the figurative state of Enlightenment while in this incarnation. If we can talk in terms of Buddhist conceptions: I am a Sakadagami or once-returner. I have completed overcoming three of the ten fetters to attaining true freedom from Samsara. I do not wish to come back again, I must continue my search, therefore I must continue my path to eventually ascend to the level of Anagami. This is my current philosophy if I must put it into words.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Mysterious_Stranger
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 10:51:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Both you and I are about as insignificant as an ant, the world owes you nothing so stop pretending it does and try and achieve something with your life, if you want to that is.
Turn around, go back.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 11:47:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/22/2014 1:26:10 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
...

I was thrown into this existence against my will. I have incarnated on many worlds, always searching for a being who seems to remain one step ahead of me. I use astral projection to travel in times that don't require me to remain limited by my physical body. I visit other worlds searching, in my spare time, with Earth being my home base for this lifetime. My philosophy is to master whatever lessons this world, mother Gaia, has to teach me. I've noticed cyclic patterns of karmic lessons in this world. It seems that there is a deep issue always present within us, and is always re-presented to us should we not transcend the obstacle the universe has presented our souls to overcome.

I believe that Heaven and Hell both exist in this world, not in some metaphysical realm strategically placed either above or below Earth. I also believe there are many levels of souls and that there are humans with old souls who have simply reincarnated in this world once more because their soul has yet to learn everything this world has to teach in accordance with the possible scenarios we find in this reality. I believe there are other planets which serve to teach the soul other lessons not capable to be learnt here in this specific system of order based on duality.

My ultimate goal is to ascend the ranks of spiritual development and attain the figurative state of Enlightenment while in this incarnation. If we can talk in terms of Buddhist conceptions: I am a Sakadagami or once-returner. I have completed overcoming three of the ten fetters to attaining true freedom from Samsara. I do not wish to come back again, I must continue my search, therefore I must continue my path to eventually ascend to the level of Anagami. This is my current philosophy if I must put it into words.

Interesting :)
Nolite Timere
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 7:47:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

My philosophy is to be the man whom God created me to be. It takes a little bit of WSA's "be the best you can be" philosophy minus the YOLO part. I'm all about trying to make myself a better person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Part of that philosophy is to experience what life has to give and to push myself to greater heights. Primarily though, my philosophy is to live for God. I do this through the philosophy mentioned above.

An interesting and positive philosophy to live by! It sounds very similar to my own ambitions in life, although, to add on to what you said, I'd like to expand upon them.

Not only do I want to make myself (and others, of course, as service should be my primary concern) better physically, mentally, and spiritually, but I want to have some kind of proof that I lived. Similar to how orangemayhem wants an article of Wikipedia written about him, I want to leave a mark on the world that no one can forget. That's the kind of life I'd like to live.

Ambitions aside, however, I'd like to say one last thing. About the little things in life. About how no one understands anything. Well, that'd take too long to get into. So I'll just say this. If there's one thing I've noticed, it's better to like something than to not like it. Imagine your favorite food, person, music, anything. Wouldn't it be horrible if you'd never been exposed to it? Or worse, wouldn't it be horrible if you hated it? The pleasure you get from enjoying those things would be gone, and in it's place would be hatred. It'd suck, to put it bluntly.

Now imagine the thing you hate the most. It can be a food, or a music, or a person, a type of weather, a writing style, anything. Think back to what I just said above. It'd be so much better if you just got pleasure from things than if you hated them, wouldn't it? And there you go.

So I try to enjoy everything as I go along. The weather is always beautiful to me (I especially love rainy days, sunny days, any day, really). I always enjoy my food. I try to keep an open mind on music (I'll admit, this one is harder to do). And most importantly, I try my best not to judge others, both internally and externally, focusing on their positive attributes.

Sorry for the little rant.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 10:26:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/22/2014 7:47:05 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

My philosophy is to be the man whom God created me to be. It takes a little bit of WSA's "be the best you can be" philosophy minus the YOLO part. I'm all about trying to make myself a better person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Part of that philosophy is to experience what life has to give and to push myself to greater heights. Primarily though, my philosophy is to live for God. I do this through the philosophy mentioned above.

An interesting and positive philosophy to live by! It sounds very similar to my own ambitions in life, although, to add on to what you said, I'd like to expand upon them.

Not only do I want to make myself (and others, of course, as service should be my primary concern) better physically, mentally, and spiritually, but I want to have some kind of proof that I lived. Similar to how orangemayhem wants an article of Wikipedia written about him, I want to leave a mark on the world that no one can forget. That's the kind of life I'd like to live.

Ambitions aside, however, I'd like to say one last thing. About the little things in life. About how no one understands anything. Well, that'd take too long to get into. So I'll just say this. If there's one thing I've noticed, it's better to like something than to not like it. Imagine your favorite food, person, music, anything. Wouldn't it be horrible if you'd never been exposed to it? Or worse, wouldn't it be horrible if you hated it? The pleasure you get from enjoying those things would be gone, and in it's place would be hatred. It'd suck, to put it bluntly.

Now imagine the thing you hate the most. It can be a food, or a music, or a person, a type of weather, a writing style, anything. Think back to what I just said above. It'd be so much better if you just got pleasure from things than if you hated them, wouldn't it? And there you go.

So I try to enjoy everything as I go along. The weather is always beautiful to me (I especially love rainy days, sunny days, any day, really). I always enjoy my food. I try to keep an open mind on music (I'll admit, this one is harder to do). And most importantly, I try my best not to judge others, both internally and externally, focusing on their positive attributes.

Sorry for the little rant.

Cool, thanks for sharing :)
Nolite Timere
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 12:52:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2014 7:22:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
"Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
"It made a difference for that one."

https://www.goodreads.com...

I've never been much of a church goer, but when I did the preacher once told that story. It really spoke to me for some reason.

I've seen this before. It is truly amazing.
queenofmayhem
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 3:07:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is not necessarily my "life" philosophy, just one little aspect of it. :D

"Religion is like a dick. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around and PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat. Thank you."

I apologize for the vulgarity, but I say it with the utmost sincerity.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 3:13:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/29/2014 3:07:11 PM, queenofmayhem wrote:
This is not necessarily my "life" philosophy, just one little aspect of it. :D

"Religion is like a dick. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around and PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat. Thank you."

I apologize for the vulgarity, but I say it with the utmost sincerity.

Subtle....
Looshii
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 12:06:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My sister was hoping to win a big lottery, an enormous amount of money that would last three life times. Her friend said "I just want enough to be comfortable". My sister replied "that's selfish! your family will be in need while you live comfortably. I want enough to make them all happy, then I will be happy."

So often we think of ourselves first, and our own happiness, but really the more you extend your wealth and knowledge to others, the more rewarding life is for you... and is that not happiness? Spreading your seeds of love? Helping in a soup-kitchen or feeding babies on a Sunday morning in an orphanage. The richest people turn to philanthropy, and become richer still, and give even more. When we give, we offer ourselves as vessels for money, and it keeps pouring in. The only thing to remember is that you are giving for the benefit of others, and in no way does your giving ever become a position of power. I prefer to give myself instead of money. And it does mean listening to someone complain, it means giving advice, it means giving time.

Someone I have been helping, as a sounding board for the last year, (as he came to grips after a long struggle with disability), finally "got it" the other day. And the "thank-you's" were so touching, tears rolled from my eyes as I realized I had held his hand and helped find himself again. That was happiness. It was joy! It was overwhelmingly fulfilling.

Life is filled with happiness, we can choose to see gloom or we can open our eyes to see where happiness can fill next. It's the elimination of gloom that makes happiness bloom!
Heterodox
Posts: 293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 7:32:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2014 7:08:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Is your ultimate goal to be happy? Content? Do you value love above all things in life? Do you just wing life and see what happens? Live life to its fullest?

DDO, I want to know what your life philosophy is.

My philosophy has some different parts to it:

My philosophy is to be the man whom God created me to be. It takes a little bit of WSA's "be the best you can be" philosophy minus the YOLO part. I'm all about trying to make myself a better person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Part of that philosophy is to experience what life has to give and to push myself to greater heights. Primarily though, my philosophy is to live for God. I do this through the philosophy mentioned above.

To stay alive and be comfortable while putting forth minimal effort to achieve those goals.