Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Do people forfeit rounds because of my style?

schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 3:29:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Last week I got in a good mood and participated in my first four debates; I put work in my arguments and tried my best to be nice and interesting and all four of my Opponents forfeited in second round. I suspect at least two debates to be abandoned by the challenger.

The topics weren't that popular to be honest, but still. I am not sure whether that's my fault or just a coincidence. I know I am not a native-English-writer and sometimes forget a word or put it twice, but I've seen worse here and they all got proper replies.

Do you guys have me some tips what I can do better next time to actually have a nice debate with someone?

1. Dress Codes http://www.debate.org...
2. DrivingAge http://www.debate.org...
3. OrganDonation http://www.debate.org...
4. LegalAge for Sex http://www.debate.org...
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 5:31:15 AM
You may debate me. What sort of topics are you interested in? I'll be sure to put work on it since we're both new.

As for the forfeit, I'm not sure, perhaps coming to an arrangement is important rather than accepting challenges.
schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 8:45:40 AM
I am pretty much open for most topics apart from religion (because that seems like a thing that's done too often and never does any good) and I have obviously troubles with stuff that directly bases on US law, but apart from that I am cool with most things.

As to the question whether understandings are more important I'd say it's probably solving the problem but it does not help the fact that one should be able to at least expect a debate if someone else initiated it. I mean, I would not start a debate about a topic that I would not be eager to prove I am right.

And I still hope it's not my fault that people don't want to debate me.
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 9:30:17 AM
Very well, here are some suggestions, if you want to put in yours please don't hesitate. Since you have feminist tendencies(as you said in your profile lol) I've included some based on that too if you don't mind
1.The exploitation of women across history are generally false(pro for me)
2.Freudian Psychology is sound(pro me)
3.Family forms are not generally based on patriarchy(Pro me)
4.Thermal Power Plants are more useful than Green energy(Pro me)

These are the only ones currently on my mind. Any other ideas?

Well for your next part, i guess so since the internet is full of crap that people would initiate and left immediately without returning to their account. At least that's what my miniature observation of this website looks like.

Yeah I've had that, sometimes I wonder if my opponent really is debating passionately based on his/her beliefs or maybe just doing it for the sake of it. Only been here for a month. Shouldn't be anything to worry though, the instigator prob bears that burden.im not sure
schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 10:34:48 AM
At 5/19/2014 9:30:17 AM, Themba wrote:
Very well, here are some suggestions, if you want to put in yours please don't hesitate. Since you have feminist tendencies(as you said in your profile lol) I've included some based on that too if you don't mind

Seriously, I am not proud... I recently found myself arguing against Stay-at-home-Mums and it was the most embarrassing and hypocritical thing ever. It am just too easy to provoke when I see girly statements or anti feminist statements. I am also allergic to "true love" phrases. Anyway:

I can go with Con against Freud (although I'd have a bit an advantage as the O-language would be my mother tongue) but for 1 and 3 I'd actually had problems finding something convincing for a Con side and I've not any knowledge about Thermal Power Plants.

- direct democracy/pure democracy as superior system - I could do both sides
- lack of original content in popular cinema - Pro, but I can do both
- coffee vs. tea - Again, both sides.
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 7:32:14 PM
At 5/19/2014 10:34:48 AM, schachdame wrote:
Seriously, I am not proud... I recently found myself arguing against Stay-at-home-Mums and it was the most embarrassing and hypocritical thing ever. It am just too easy to provoke when I see girly statements or anti feminist statements. I am also allergic to "true love" phrases. Anyway:

A little bit of hostility to oppositional ideas is normal.

I can go with Con against Freud (although I'd have a bit an advantage as the O-language would be my mother tongue) but for 1 and 3 I'd actually had problems finding something convincing for a Con side and I've not any knowledge about Thermal Power Plants.

- direct democracy/pure democracy as superior system - I could do both sides
- lack of original content in popular cinema - Pro, but I can do both
- coffee vs. tea - Again, both sides.

1 & 3, you may use Victorian Age, where men can have an infinite amount of mistresses while women can have 0. I guess generally so, cuz I'm not into history that much so we'll pass prob. Pass no.4 im not a fan of maths lol

Freud is fun though a little research in deep waters is needed(may tire our brains out lol), Athenian democracy too although I'm a bit lacking in art for the second topic(cinema). Coffee vs Tea should be good. I'll give these some thought. you can narrow the topics if you want, so I know what topic(out of all these) that peaks your main interest.

Thanks
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 8:10:06 PM
At 5/19/2014 7:55:19 PM, Aravengeance wrote:
I'm pretty sure they forfeited because they don't know how to refute your arguments.

There's that too yeah. lol tats embarassing

I'm fine with both Freud and Athenian, though athenian prob involves less work than freud. shouldnt be a problem Ill give it another thought.
schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 2:34:26 PM
We could do a friendly tea-coffee debate and then look if we have both time for a serious topic. I am still getting into this and I'd love to get a bit training anyway.
It's already a though sport for me, as I have to deal with a foreign language ;)

By the way, direct democracy could be not only Greek democracy depending on how strictly it's interpreted; the Swiss and Luxembourgian system are for example semi-direct democracies.
schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 2:41:14 PM
I recently discovered surprising similarities between "proper" debating and chess. I basically blew my own mind.
Themba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 3:12:10 AM
At 5/20/2014 2:34:26 PM, schachdame wrote:
We could do a friendly tea-coffee debate and then look if we have both time for a serious topic. I am still getting into this and I'd love to get a bit training anyway.
It's already a though sport for me, as I have to deal with a foreign language ;)

Yeah, time is pretty short on my end too, so a light topic would be ideal.

By the way, direct democracy could be not only Greek democracy depending on how strictly it's interpreted; the Swiss and Luxembourgian system are for example semi-direct democracies.

Ought to be defined in a debate, so to avoid confusion. lol