Jump to topic:

What's your IQ?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 12:58:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Have you ever taken a test to measure your IQ? Was it from a reliable source?

Do you think that IQ tests are an accurate measure of intelligence?
Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 8:39:33 AM
Ive taken some online ones, I think I had a 140 something. I don't think they really are a good test of intelligence, because they mostly measure your pattern recognition or vocabulary more than anything else, and I think there's alot more to what makes us consider a person "smart" than that.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 9:52:36 AM
At 5/23/2014 12:58:23 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Yes, and I think they are a good measure of intelligence (typically). No I don't share my number. If it's high people accuse you of lying, if it's low people call you an idiot. It's best to keep that number to yourself.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 9:06:01 PM
I wish we could get reliable subscores. That would be at least one step closer to a useful approximation. The official tests I've taken--those, at least, which provide a numerical score--put me somewhere between 105 and 115; however, this is self-evidently useless, because it doesn't at all indicate my competencies or deficits. It leaves intelligence as an empty signifier whose only recordable content is a number with which I can do exactly zero things. I know that I am not naturally gifted as a musician, or as a painter, or as a mathematician, and I do not need to be administered an examination to be confident about any of this. I have a journeyman's writing ability, but even this is likely only the product of having been at practice since kindergarten.

This is all to say that I always feel a weighty critical exigency every time I see one of these threads creep up, and that I wish our brainpower could be redirected toward something more deserving of our attention, even if this amounts in the final analysis to taking more useful measurements. What we play with now seems like a pecking order dressed in a lab coat.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 11:21:43 PM
At 5/24/2014 9:06:01 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I wish we could get reliable subscores. That would be at least one step closer to a useful approximation. The official tests I've taken--those, at least, which provide a numerical score--put me somewhere between 105 and 115; however, this is self-evidently useless, because it doesn't at all indicate my competencies or deficits. It leaves intelligence as an empty signifier whose only recordable content is a number with which I can do exactly zero things. I know that I am not naturally gifted as a musician, or as a painter, or as a mathematician, and I do not need to be administered an examination to be confident about any of this. I have a journeyman's writing ability, but even this is likely only the product of having been at practice since kindergarten.

This is all to say that I always feel a weighty critical exigency every time I see one of these threads creep up, and that I wish our brainpower could be redirected toward something more deserving of our attention, even if this amounts in the final analysis to taking more useful measurements. What we play with now seems like a pecking order dressed in a lab coat.

But regardless of what your IQ is, it will always go up at least a few points after reading one of Cody Franklin's posts.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 11:22:38 PM

Mine is probably somwhere between OVER 9000 and Infinity and Beyond. I dunno, I'd have to take the tesy again.
Nolite Timere
Complicated_Mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:38:23 AM
According to school in 4th grade I was somewhere in the 130 range, but I'm not sure what is is now. Doesn't matter, they aren't a good dictation of intelligence anyway. They are culturally bias, and someone with a high IQ who is a slacker and gets nothing done won't accomplish anything in life, and someone with a less than desirable score who goes ambitious and a hardworker will do much better. Low IQ, high IQ, in the end who really gives a fuzzy rats a$$?
Complicated_Mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:39:07 AM
At 5/25/2014 2:38:23 AM, Complicated_Mind wrote:
According to school in 4th grade I was somewhere in the 130s range, but I'm not sure what is is now. Doesn't matter, they aren't a good indictation of intelligence anyway. They are culturally bias, and someone with a high IQ who is a slacker and gets nothing done won't accomplish anything in life, and someone with a less than desirable score who goes ambitious and a hardworker will do much better. Low IQ, high IQ, in the end who really gives a fuzzy rats a$$?

Fixed.
ExsurgeDomine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:48:26 AM

Yes, yes, and no. I'm sure there's some sort of correlation between IQ and intelligence, but it seems clear that many exceptions exist.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:52:12 AM
At 5/23/2014 8:39:33 AM, Bannanawamajama wrote:
Ive taken some online ones, I think I had a 140 something. I don't think they really are a good test of intelligence, because they mostly measure your pattern recognition or vocabulary more than anything else, and I think there's alot more to what makes us consider a person "smart" than that.

I've taken 4 in my life. The last I took was 3 hours long and it measured vocabulary, pattern recognition, number sense, and spatial reasoning. Parts of it were timed. I don't think IQ tests online are accurate.

I scored 142. The first test I took was in elementary school and I scored a 127. The other 2 were in high school and when I was in my 20's, they were 136, So I guess I'm averaging pretty good.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 5:44:23 AM
At 5/25/2014 2:52:12 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/23/2014 8:39:33 AM, Bannanawamajama wrote:

I've taken 4 in my life. The last I took was 3 hours long and it measured vocabulary, pattern recognition, number sense, and spatial reasoning. Parts of it were timed. I don't think IQ tests online are accurate.

I scored 142. The first test I took was in elementary school and I scored a 127. The other 2 were in high school and when I was in my 20's, they were 136, So I guess I'm averaging pretty good.

That seems weird. It's my understanding that IQ usually drops as you age. I have a pretty high IQ and I think mine has dropped a little over 10-15 points in the last 15 years. Of course that could be just a natural variation between tests.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 5:52:47 AM
I immediately googled a few articles after making that last post. Apparently IQ typically remains the same throughout life.

I guess that means I should cut back on drinking.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 5:58:04 AM
At 5/25/2014 5:52:47 AM, Wylted wrote:
I immediately googled a few articles after making that last post. Apparently IQ typically remains the same throughout life.

I guess that means I should cut back on drinking.

Well I think at the start of high school my number sense got better. And i saw more patterns in number sequences than I did before. Plus I am not as impatient as I once was. Drinking and all. :P

Some tests I have always done great at are the spatial reasoning ones. Show me 2 sides of a dice I can show you what it looks like flat.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:01:18 AM
... I wish our brainpower could be redirected toward something more deserving of our attention, even if this amounts in the final analysis to taking more useful measurements.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 5:19:26 PM

Wow. I would have guessed at least 140. Are you sure that's right?
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 6:08:01 PM
I came out at a solid 180 last time I took a test......

Yeah actually, I have no idea. Probably 18 XD
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
r.oppenheimer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 9:36:51 PM

I have taken two, one in the Navy and then one in post grad school. I think they can be rather accurate if given in the proper setting and depending upon what type is used. Mine went up in the span of years between from a 138 to a 143. Go figure? :)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 2:42:00 PM
At 5/26/2014 2:05:35 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/25/2014 5:19:26 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Wow. I would have guessed at least 140. Are you sure that's right?

Well, in light of my feelings about these tests, not at all. But those are the numbers.

I wonder why IQ tests are given any credence if someone like richard feynman can score in the 120 range, and someone like you can score only 1 SD above average. It makes me wonder how many individuals who have posthumously estimated high IQs simply based on their achievements (the composers and mathematicians for example) would have scored poorly if actually given the test.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 3:37:02 PM

I took an IQ test a long time ago. I remember the score, and it remains irrelevant.

I don't know whether IQ tests are an accurate measure of intelligence. It's probably a pretty good measure of certain ways of using your mind. But, overall? I'd say no.

IQ tests aren't very good at testing how well one can learn complicated endeavors. I don't mean, shape , number, or word association, or anything like that. I mean, learning to draw, write effectively, or understand Higher (or Further) Mathematics and apply it functionally to studies like Chemistry, Physics, or Biology.

They don't test a person's ability to interact with others effectively at all. That je ne sais quio that some people have? That's actually a proficiency, but we understand it so little, that it just can't be taught. And damn, if it isn't invaluable.

How does one evaluate the gift that Cesar Millan has, for example? I've certainly never met anyone that could establish such a connection with dogs. But, I'm sure he isn't the only one out there that exists.

What about the mental aptitude that leads to tactical proficiency? Leadership? What about persuasion?

Of all the mental aptitudes that would mean a thing at all here, I would think it's persuasion, and yet, it isn't something covered on an IQ test.

Moreover, your mind works optimally in a given emotional and physical state. How you've been eating, your physical fitness and general level of activity, your general level of satisfaction, your health -- all of that applies to how well your mind functions.

So, is it relevant? I'd say, to the extent that you're able to utilize solving riddles throughout your life. Generally speaking? No.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 3:51:00 PM
Maybe. I might also just be a one-trick pony. Taking Carroll's three-stratum model of intelligence as a rough indicator, for instance, it might be that I just have a very pronounced crystallized intelligence, versus my average our below-average ability in the other six areas. Or, I might have a crap-tier g factor, forcing me to work extra hard to achieve what my superiors can achieve with comparably little effort.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 3:52:57 PM
At 5/26/2014 3:51:00 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Maybe. I might also just be a one-trick pony. Taking Carroll's three-stratum model of intelligence as a rough indicator, for instance, it might be that I just have a very pronounced crystallized intelligence, versus my average our below-average ability in the other six areas. Or, I might have a crap-tier g factor, forcing me to work extra hard to achieve what my superiors can achieve with comparably little effort.

Talking to ike, not Such.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 3:33:26 AM
I think a better measure is to look at qualities of previous so called "geniuses".

They are all rebellious in a way, constantly challenge themselves, determined, they take small steps at a time, a lot of them eat fish and go for long walks.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 3:44:41 AM
I won't share my IQ for the same reasons as the obvious genius called Wylted pointed out.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 12:54:13 PM
I got my IQ score from translating it from my SAT scores. My IQ is 144.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~