Why monogamy?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 1:17:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why is monogamy, so popular?

Sometimes when I bang other chicks, I have to jump through hoops to explain its cool with my girl.

I don't get why people give a crap about being monogamous. Please explain this crap.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 1:27:30 AM
At 6/4/2014 1:17:59 AM, Wylted wrote:

Sometimes when I bang other chicks, I have to jump through hoops to explain its cool with my girl.

I don't get why people give a crap about being monogamous. Please explain this crap.

A sense of possessiveness on the part of the spouse.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 1:30:20 AM
At 6/4/2014 1:27:30 AM, Romanii wrote:

A sense of possessiveness on the part of the spouse.

Well it's savage and has no place in evolved societies.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:34:07 AM

*Rushes to make a debate on this topic before Wylted does*
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:36:49 AM
At 6/4/2014 4:34:07 AM, Envisage wrote:

*Rushes to make a debate on this topic before Wylted does*

Dang it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:43:31 AM
I honestly think monogamy is something that losers who could only bang one or less chicks invented.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:55:45 AM

It's not as popular as you think. My grandfather had 4 wives lol

Pretty sure it's what Romanii said and also maybe a religious thing? Christians are only allowed one wife/husband, and since Chriatianity is the prominent religion throughout the world, people just adopted into monogamy.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 6:35:56 AM
It's not even beneficial for women. They get stuck with lesser men because society shuns polygamous relationships.

Monogamy also weakens the gene pool. Inferior people would have less kids as a result of not getting VJJ if polygamy was the norm.

This was something definitely invented by weak men of inferior genetics.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:43:20 AM

Monogamy is restrictive, oppressive and has no place in a modern society.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 10:17:31 AM
At 6/4/2014 6:35:56 AM, Wylted wrote:

I'm a selfish person. XD
I wouldn't want to share.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 3:39:24 PM
At 6/4/2014 7:43:20 AM, Zylorarchy wrote:

Monogamy is restrictive, oppressive and has no place in a modern society.

marriage in general is restrictive oppressive and has no place in a modern society. I mean does anyone really know the purpose of a marriage, or is it something that we just accept without another thought. if i could i'd find the guy who invented marriage and i'd ask him why he invented it.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 3:41:58 PM

Monogamy became the thing to do when STI's were a thing. Sexually transmitted infections were regarded -before germ theory (lol)- as God's punishment for promiscuity, and so "not promiscuity" became regarded as the "moral" option -and so principally during the Victorian era. In that way, monogamy was as much a matter of sexual hygiene as it was a matter of morality. A lot of the attitudes about sex we have in the United States are the cultural inheritance of those norms, one of which was the belief that the only kind of "ok" sex was missionary style between husband and wife. No others, then, were acceptable. Adultery, homosexual sexual contact, and even situations that bore resemblance to Greek pederasty (which existed in British boarding schools during and even after the Victorian era) all came under society's strict judgement, condemnation and -consequently- regulation, whereas before the Victorian era, they were just "frowned upon" and "not spoken of" in civilized society, even though brothels were common, prostitution was a regular thing and even homosexuality wasn't -at least before the Victorian era in the West- punishable to the same degree that it became after that period of "moral" (and I use that phrase loosely) awaking. That trend continued in a number of ways across time an in places influenced by Western culture, and the first real "break" in it was the sexual revolution in the 1960s. Stonewall was probably the next biggest fracture point. The pendulum swung back in the 1980s when Republicans and so-called Christians equated AIDS to divine judgement, but now we're picking up (as a society and culture) where those revolutionary hooligan Second Wave feminists left off before the AIDS scare, and sexual hygiene isn't about "abstinence only" -outside of those bible thumping states in the South, religious private schools (otherwise known as Christian madrasas) throughout our fruited plains and the like- but about knowing how to put on a condom.
Tsar of DDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:08:41 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:05:50 PM, Crescendo wrote:
PLEASE tell me you're just trolling.

Even if he is (I don't think he is), monogamy is likely to be seriously questioned in social circles over the next few decades.

The reasons for which are mostly already listed, but there is also substantial evidence that suggests we innately are not monogamous as a species.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:11:21 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:08:41 PM, Envisage wrote:

Even if he is (I don't think he is), monogamy is likely to be seriously questioned in social circles over the next few decades.
Unfortunately you're probably right about this.

The reasons for which are mostly already listed, but there is also substantial evidence that suggests we innately are not monogamous as a species.
Humans also have violent instincts. Me killing someone is only natural, then?
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:13:02 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:11:21 PM, Crescendo wrote:

I would like to see your evidence that humans have innate killing instincts of other humans. Especially given we are a social species, it seems extremely unlikely.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:15:01 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:13:02 PM, Envisage wrote:

I would like to see your evidence that humans have innate killing instincts of other humans. Especially given we are a social species, it seems extremely unlikely.

Aggression is linked to human beings. We're the only species who wage wars. There are many people who've taken another life for the thrill of it.
My View of the World:

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:19:26 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:15:01 PM, Crescendo wrote:

Aggression is linked to human beings. We're the only species who wage wars. There are many people who've taken another life for the thrill of it.

That is not evidence of killing instincts. That's evidence of humans killing other humans.

Please address the actual question put to you.

This talk might tell you a bit about why we are not innately monogamous:
http://www.ted.com...

It seems that having a society that acts to maximise well-being, which would be achieved by mostly abiding by our evolved traits, I.e. Dislike for pain, suffering, preferring shelter and nourishment. And in this case, sexual satisfaction, is the way to go towards a healthy society.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:32:34 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:19:26 PM, Envisage wrote:

That is not evidence of killing instincts. That's evidence of humans killing other humans.

It seems that having a society that acts to maximise well-being, which would be achieved by mostly abiding by our evolved traits, I.e. Dislike for pain, suffering, preferring shelter and nourishment. And in this case, sexual satisfaction, is the way to go towards a healthy society.

Why do we need it...period?
With artificial insemination and other emerging reproductive technologies, can't humans learn to overcome basic animal desires and thus "evolve" further?
My View of the World:

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:37:58 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:32:34 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/4/2014 5:19:26 PM, Envisage wrote:

Why do we need it...period?

Sexual satisfaction. We all have sex drives, and it is a fact that the large majority of married/committed people do experience sexual desires for people other than their current partner. The fact that we have a culture of endorsed and legally bound possessiveness has made this unnecessarily taboo.

With artificial insemination and other emerging reproductive technologies, can't humans learn to overcome basic animal desires and thus "evolve" further?

Well that's eugenics, which is a interesting topic but I don't see how it relates to this argument.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:08:32 PM

Is the OP trolling? Why would he be?
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 11:02:48 PM
At 6/4/2014 7:08:32 PM, YYW wrote:

I'm not, and thanks for your input earlier. It was enlightening as always, despite making me cringe when you wrote about the south and republicans. But, that's my problem not yours.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 11:10:30 PM
At 6/4/2014 11:02:48 PM, Wylted wrote:

I'm not, and thanks for your input earlier. It was enlightening as always, despite making me cringe when you wrote about the south and republicans. But, that's my problem not yours.

Thanks. Well, "moral majority" movement conservatives were the specific cause of the problem... as movement conservatives (populists) usually are wherever they surface in time and space. It wasn't all Republicans, per se, just most of them.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 11:11:52 PM
At 6/4/2014 11:10:30 PM, YYW wrote:

Thanks. Well, "moral majority" movement conservatives were the specific cause of the problem... as movement conservatives (populists) usually are wherever they surface in time and space. It wasn't all Republicans, per se, just most of them.

I know. I know. It's just this barbaric urge to label myself and others that cause me this type of mental stress. Lol.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 11:17:00 PM
At 6/4/2014 11:11:52 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/4/2014 11:10:30 PM, YYW wrote:

I know. I know. It's just this barbaric urge to label myself and others that cause me this type of mental stress. Lol.

lol

No worries, man.
Tsar of DDO