Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Not leaving a tip, when you get bad servers.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 10:18:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm so annoyed right now. The waitress at this resteraunt me and my fiance's friends went to was horrible.

They were discussing the horrible service, so I'm like put it out of your mind, just let it reflect in the tip. Do they just kept bitching about the service, which in my opinion is low class, regardless of how bad the service was. Anyway when it's time to pay the bill, they all tip zero percent.

So I just got up and immediately left, so I didn't have to be embarrassed by being seen with them.

My fiance is mad at me for just walking off, but what's wrong with these people?

I hate bad tippers. My brother is one if those idiots that always tips $5 whether it's a 50% tip or a 1% tip, and now my fiance and her friends believe a 0% tip is appropriate for bad service. I usually tip 15% for bad service, I might even find 10% acceptable, but what type of jerk tips 0%?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 10:28:30 PM
At 6/18/2014 10:18:53 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm so annoyed right now. The waitress at this resteraunt me and my fiance's friends went to was horrible.

They were discussing the horrible service, so I'm like put it out of your mind, just let it reflect in the tip. Do they just kept bitching about the service, which in my opinion is low class, regardless of how bad the service was. Anyway when it's time to pay the bill, they all tip zero percent.

So I just got up and immediately left, so I didn't have to be embarrassed by being seen with them.

My fiance is mad at me for just walking off, but what's wrong with these people?

I hate bad tippers. My brother is one if those idiots that always tips $5 whether it's a 50% tip or a 1% tip, and now my fiance and her friends believe a 0% tip is appropriate for bad service. I usually tip 15% for bad service, I might even find 10% acceptable, but what type of jerk tips 0%?

Bad. Unless the waitress spat on them, or actually destroyed their property, or made some really, really offensive comment. Did she?

But I suppose walking out kind of indicates that you care more about the waitresses feelings than...um...was the waitress hot?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 10:32:47 PM

Wait a minute - why didn't you just leave a tip for everyone? That's what I would have done - if you'd wanted, you could have done it pointedly.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 10:33:13 PM
At 6/18/2014 10:28:30 PM, rross wrote:

Bad. Unless the waitress spat on them, or actually destroyed their property, or made some really, really offensive comment. Did she?

She just sucked at grabbing the food/drinks when they're ready. She wasn't good at clearing the table and she sucked at getting all our requests right.

But I suppose walking out kind of indicates that you care more about the waitresses feelings than...um...was the waitress hot?

The waitress was okay looking, nothing impressive and pleasant. She just sucked at her job.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 10:36:06 PM
At 6/18/2014 10:32:47 PM, rross wrote:

Wait a minute - why didn't you just leave a tip for everyone? That's what I would have done - if you'd wanted, you could have done it pointedly.

Sometimes I do, do that. This time I didn't have enough money on me. One person did owe me $15, I considered being a dick about getting that $15 back and putting it towards the tip.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 11:41:19 PM
At 6/18/2014 10:33:13 PM, Wylted wrote:

She just sucked at grabbing the food/drinks when they're ready. She wasn't good at clearing the table and she sucked at getting all our requests right.

The waitress was okay looking, nothing impressive and pleasant. She just sucked at her job.

They were really mean then.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 3:29:24 AM
I usually tip 15% for bad service, I might even find 10% acceptable, but what type of jerk tips 0%?

There's this guy who prints out several pieces of paper and keeps it in his wallet. Whenever he eats at a restaurant, he doesn't tip a cent. He just puts one of the pieces of paper on the table and leaves.

The papers say:

"I do not tip anywhere because the law governing tipping causes pay inequality between servers and kitchen staff. My meal was made possible by an entire team of kitchen staff, servers, managers, and the establishment itself. Therefore, everyone involved should be paid appropriately out of the cost of the product I purchase. I find it unreasonable that only servers have legal rights to earn tips. Therefore, I do not tip and ask that the establishment raises the cost of food and drinks to pay everyone appropriately for their work. Tipping also encourages both customers and servers to stereotype and discriminate. Appropriate salary for servers should be the responsibility of the establishment and not the mood, or habit, or any random decisions of the customers."
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 5:43:10 AM

What?

The purpose of tipping is to contribute in proportion to how well you believe you were served. In other words, the philosophy behind servers is that they're not necessarily there for the restaurant, they're there for the patrons. Therefore, the patrons pay servers directly based on how well they believe they were served.

Based on your later description of how well she performed her job, it could be understandable to forego tipping. Maybe a small tip would be appropriate, but 15%? No. That doesn't make any sense. That server did not earn a 15% gratuity for her service. Usually, 15% is the most I tip, with a minimum of $2-$5, unless the service was exceptional.

I thought this was going to be about incessant complaining, which I consider in bad taste. If anything, someone with a bit of courtesy would choose one or the other (whining or withholding a tip), because both is simply obnoxious (as they take a minor inconvenience and spread their bad attitudes to everyone around them possible).
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 11:30:07 AM
At 6/19/2014 5:43:10 AM, Such wrote:

What?

The purpose of tipping is to contribute in proportion to how well you believe you were served. In other words, the philosophy behind servers is that they're not necessarily there for the restaurant, they're there for the patrons. Therefore, the patrons pay servers directly based on how well they believe they were served.

Based on your later description of how well she performed her job, it could be understandable to forego tipping. Maybe a small tip would be appropriate, but 15%? No. That doesn't make any sense. That server did not earn a 15% gratuity for her service. Usually, 15% is the most I tip, with a minimum of $2-$5, unless the service was exceptional.

I thought this was going to be about incessant complaining, which I consider in bad taste. If anything, someone with a bit of courtesy would choose one or the other (whining or withholding a tip), because both is simply obnoxious (as they take a minor inconvenience and spread their bad attitudes to everyone around them possible).

You tip 15% for good service? You're a bad tipper.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 11:51:36 AM

LOL
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:02:10 PM

If 0% is warranted, then it is not a jerk tip.
I view tips as gratuity - a thank you for your hospitality. If you suck at your job, then you deserve no tip. After all, a monkey can do your job (as seen in Japan).

I have maybe a handful of times left less than a dollar. These times it was warranted.
For example, waiting 5-10 minutes to seen, rushing us into a decision, drinks not served or sat empty, and waited for check for 10+ minutes.
So, we see our server 2-5 times. Once to take the order, once for the check, and maybe to give us our food and/or drinks.

The way I see it, tips are the customer's tool to reward good employees, in a similar way that employers use wages. If you suck, then make your minimum wage, and i probably won't complain to management.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:05:25 PM
At 6/19/2014 3:29:24 AM, Defro wrote:
I usually tip 15% for bad service, I might even find 10% acceptable, but what type of jerk tips 0%?

There's this guy who prints out several pieces of paper and keeps it in his wallet. Whenever he eats at a restaurant, he doesn't tip a cent. He just puts one of the pieces of paper on the table and leaves.

The papers say:

"I do not tip anywhere because the law governing tipping causes pay inequality between servers and kitchen staff. My meal was made possible by an entire team of kitchen staff, servers, managers, and the establishment itself. Therefore, everyone involved should be paid appropriately out of the cost of the product I purchase. I find it unreasonable that only servers have legal rights to earn tips. Therefore, I do not tip and ask that the establishment raises the cost of food and drinks to pay everyone appropriately for their work. Tipping also encourages both customers and servers to stereotype and discriminate. Appropriate salary for servers should be the responsibility of the establishment and not the mood, or habit, or any random decisions of the customers."

This is stupid.
First, the pay inequality will still exist, since the kitchen staff is more skilled, thus harder to replace, than the server.
Second, this assumes that tips are not shared amongst staff. I have worked places where I tipped bussers and host (generally not cooks). I have worked at places where it was mandatory to tip out.
Third, there is no reason you cannot tip the bartender, busser, hostess, or even cook on your own.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:07:52 PM
At 6/19/2014 12:02:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

If 0% is warranted, then it is not a jerk tip.
I view tips as gratuity - a thank you for your hospitality. If you suck at your job, then you deserve no tip. After all, a monkey can do your job (as seen in Japan).

I have maybe a handful of times left less than a dollar. These times it was warranted.
For example, waiting 5-10 minutes to seen, rushing us into a decision, drinks not served or sat empty, and waited for check for 10+ minutes.
So, we see our server 2-5 times. Once to take the order, once for the check, and maybe to give us our food and/or drinks.

The way I see it, tips are the customer's tool to reward good employees, in a similar way that employers use wages. If you suck, then make your minimum wage, and i probably won't complain to management.

But, these people make like $2.00 an hour. Even if they do a crappy job they should still either make minimal wage or be fired. They depend on tips to make up for the gap between $2.00 and whatever minimum wage is.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:17:00 PM
At 6/19/2014 12:07:52 PM, Wylted wrote:

But, these people make like $2.00 an hour. Even if they do a crappy job they should still either make minimal wage or be fired. They depend on tips to make up for the gap between $2.00 and whatever minimum wage is.

This is a common misconception, and even if it wasn't, don't take a job where you depend on commissions when you cannot close.

Being paid $2.00/hr is called a tip credit.
The credit is for the employer, and the credit only applies if the server is making more than minimum wage between wage and tips.
Hypothetically, if a server were paid $20 for 10 hours of work, and only made $30 in tips, then the employer would need to make up the difference, and, for that week, increase the wage paid to equal minimum wage.

There is no reason why a server would continuously make less than minimum wage, unless the owner was breaking the law. One day, maybe, but not over a period of time. (I assume the period of time is the pay period)
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:19:23 PM

The papers say:

My thoughts exactly.

Part of the reason why servers are paid sh*t money in some countries is because tipping makes it a socially and ethically acceptable status. Since they will "make it up in the tips".

But then I like in the UK, and the minimum wage is substantially higher here (over 10 USD), and our culture is far less aggressively skewed on tipping, although it is still present.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:22:20 PM

http://www.dol.gov...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:27:06 PM
At 6/19/2014 12:17:00 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

This is a common misconception, and even if it wasn't, don't take a job where you depend on commissions when you cannot close.

Being paid $2.00/hr is called a tip credit.
The credit is for the employer, and the credit only applies if the server is making more than minimum wage between wage and tips.
Hypothetically, if a server were paid $20 for 10 hours of work, and only made $30 in tips, then the employer would need to make up the difference, and, for that week, increase the wage paid to equal minimum wage.

There is no reason why a server would continuously make less than minimum wage, unless the owner was breaking the law. One day, maybe, but not over a period of time. (I assume the period of time is the pay period)

That sounds reasonable. I just assumed they went home with a $30 check minus taxes to feed their family.

I guess I just internally don't like it. Usually I tip big regardless, and try to come around enough to be remembered, so I get exceptional service.

I actually get a lot of stuff free as a result of this policy, so it pays off.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:28:23 PM
At 6/19/2014 12:22:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

http://www.dol.gov...

Thanks
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 12:29:50 PM
At 6/19/2014 12:19:23 PM, Envisage wrote:

The papers say:

My thoughts exactly.

Part of the reason why servers are paid sh*t money in some countries is because tipping makes it a socially and ethically acceptable status. Since they will "make it up in the tips".

But then I like in the UK, and the minimum wage is substantially higher here (over 10 USD), and our culture is far less aggressively skewed on tipping, although it is still present.

Waitresses typically make well over minimum wage in a lot of restaurants, so a tipping culture may be more beneficial for them.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 2:31:40 PM
At 6/19/2014 11:30:07 AM, Wylted wrote:

What?

http://www.itipping.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 3:02:59 PM
At 6/19/2014 2:31:40 PM, Such wrote:
At 6/19/2014 11:30:07 AM, Wylted wrote:

What?

http://www.itipping.com...

That sounds right. I usually do a scale of 10-20 percent, but if I'm drunk it can go way above 20% and usually it's never below 20%.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 4:03:43 PM
15% is standard in the U.S. It's the starting point, and reflects mediocre to decent service.

Good or great service will get you a 20% tip from me. Poor service is about 10%, bad service is 5%, and shockingly atrocious service is 0%. I have--I believe justifiably--stiffed waiters before when the service was not just sub-par, but downright unacceptable.

In different countries, the standards change. When I lived in Germany, for instance, it was acceptable to tip your waiter with whatever pocket change you had, or to simply round up the bill to the nearest whole Euro (e.g. for a 30.04 bill, you tip 0.96).

Tips should be earned, and not expected, IMO; but unless the service is truly egregious, 0% tips should not be given. What really irks me is when people look for excuses not to tip people. If the waiter is mediocre, they nit-pick the heck out of the service, just so they can justify not tipping the server. That's inexcusable because its just so miserly and penny-pinching. But, stiffing in and of itself is not wrong in all cases.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 5:02:04 PM
At 6/19/2014 4:03:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
15% is standard in the U.S. It's the starting point, and reflects mediocre to decent service.

Good or great service will get you a 20% tip from me. Poor service is about 10%, bad service is 5%, and shockingly atrocious service is 0%. I have--I believe justifiably--stiffed waiters before when the service was not just sub-par, but downright unacceptable.

In different countries, the standards change. When I lived in Germany, for instance, it was acceptable to tip your waiter with whatever pocket change you had, or to simply round up the bill to the nearest whole Euro (e.g. for a 30.04 bill, you tip 0.96).

Tips should be earned, and not expected, IMO; but unless the service is truly egregious, 0% tips should not be given. What really irks me is when people look for excuses not to tip people. If the waiter is mediocre, they nit-pick the heck out of the service, just so they can justify not tipping the server. That's inexcusable because its just so miserly and penny-pinching. But, stiffing in and of itself is not wrong in all cases.

I think that's what this group I was with was doing. Just looking to pick on a mediocre server.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 5:02:53 PM
I only got 1 really big pet peeve and that's them taking forever to bring me my check. When I'm ready to go, I just want to go.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 6:38:41 PM
At 6/19/2014 5:02:04 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/19/2014 4:03:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Tips should be earned, and not expected, IMO; but unless the service is truly egregious, 0% tips should not be given. What really irks me is when people look for excuses not to tip people. If the waiter is mediocre, they nit-pick the heck out of the service, just so they can justify to themselves not tipping the server. That's inexcusable because its just so miserly and penny-pinching. But, stiffing in and of itself is not wrong in all cases.

I think that's what this group I was with was doing. Just looking to pick on a mediocre server.

Yeah...that's unacceptable.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:43:45 PM
I've never left a tip in my life.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."