Total Posts:98|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Baby Names

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 11:54:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was talking with someone today who has a preganant relative. We drifted onto the subject of baby names, and had a very interesting discussion of the topic. Then, later today, I got into a similar discussion with someone on DDO...which made me think of posting a thread.

As someone who wants children, picking out a name seems like an essential and very important first step. While I'm nowhere near that point in my life yet, it is interesting nonetheless to contemplate. Names often define who we are, and they serve as our identifiers throughout our lives. They have great practical and symbolic importance.

So, the point of this thread is to ask: What types of names do you like? If you had children, what would you name them?

For me, I like Russian and German names, with a scattering of French names as well. I am unsure why I gravitate towards the names I do, but there are some commonalities, e.g. soft "a" sounds and "k" sounds and sometimes a reference to a Sci Fi series. I want the name to be unique as well--not something like John, Chris, Mark, or Noah, that tons of people have. Here would be my shortlist (names are in no specific order):

For Guys

Johnannes
Hans
Nikita
Sasha
Cyprien
Jean-Luc
Wolfgang
Dmitry
Arkadi
Anatoli
Andrei
David
Carolus
Fritz
Sergio
Gavin
Dietrich

For Girls

Klara
Anastasia (all soft "a" sounds)
Emma
Leia
Katja
Tasha
Lara
Katrina
Nadja
Raina
Tatjana
Adrienne
Ghislaine
Julia ("j" pronounced as a "y")
Jeanine
Padme
Amidala

So, feel free to chime in! :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 11:57:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
;) nac
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 11:58:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 11:57:13 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
;) nac

That is an astoundingly substantive contribution to this thread, Esocial! ;)

Lol...JK. Seriously though...you should weigh in.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:04:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Boys- Juanito, Ezekiel or Santiago
Girls- SanJuanita, MariaDelRosario, Melanie or Hadassah

(Can't think of anymore currently lol).
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:06:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've always liked Laurent. It's probably my favorite non-Anglicized name for either a boy or a girl.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:07:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In Judaism, we name children after a deceased relative (for example, I was named after my grandfather, and my sister's middle name came from my great-grandmother). So we don't really have the full range of liberty.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:07:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:04:49 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Boys- Juanito, Ezekiel or Santiago
Girls- SanJuanita, MariaDelRosario, Melanie or Hadassah

(Can't think of anymore currently lol).

I like Melanie and Maria. I can see you bring you Latin flare and love for the Bible into your naming process. it's interesting how much the names we like and might choose are also reflections of ourselves.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:09:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:06:23 AM, YYW wrote:
I've always liked Laurent. It's probably my favorite non-Anglicized name for either a boy or a girl.

Laurent? That's interesting...not bad. Honestly, it's never a name I considered. Laurent is a nice pick.

I think my tastes are pretty eclectic...definitely not mainstream choices.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:10:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 11:54:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I was talking with someone today who has a preganant relative. We drifted onto the subject of baby names, and had a very interesting discussion of the topic. Then, later today, I got into a similar discussion with someone on DDO...which made me think of posting a thread.

As someone who wants children, picking out a name seems like an essential and very important first step. While I'm nowhere near that point in my life yet, it is interesting nonetheless to contemplate. Names often define who we are, and they serve as our identifiers throughout our lives. They have great practical and symbolic importance.

So, the point of this thread is to ask: What types of names do you like? If you had children, what would you name them?

For me, I like Russian and German names, with a scattering of French names as well. I am unsure why I gravitate towards the names I do, but there are some commonalities, e.g. soft "a" sounds and "k" sounds and sometimes a reference to a Sci Fi series. I want the name to be unique as well--not something like John, Chris, Mark, or Noah, that tons of people have. Here would be my shortlist (names are in no specific order):

For Guys

Johnannes

How about Jacques?

Hans

Ehh, maybe. I know a Hans... and he's kind of a douche, though. Hard to separate the two.

Nikita

Little baby Khrushchev... of course.

Sasha
Cyprien
Jean-Luc
Wolfgang
Dmitry
Arkadi
Anatoli
Andrei
David
Carolus
Fritz
Sergio
Gavin
Dietrich

Dietrich is probably my favorite german name, though mainly because of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

For Girls

Klara
Anastasia (all soft "a" sounds)

Ah, yes.

Emma
Leia
Katja

A lovely name, but hard to shed the connotation of prostitutka.

Tasha
Lara
Katrina

Favorite Russian female name, for sure.

Nadja
Raina
Tatjana
Adrienne
Ghislaine
Julia ("j" pronounced as a "y")
Jeanine
Padme
Amidala

So, feel free to chime in! :)
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:10:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:07:17 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
In Judaism, we name children after a deceased relative (for example, I was named after my grandfather, and my sister's middle name came from my great-grandmother). So we don't really have the full range of liberty.

Given the importance, symbolically, of the naming process, it's definitely logical that society would have certain rules or proscriptions about how to name people, so this is intriguing from a anthropological and sociological perspective--even if it does limit your freedom of choice.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:11:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:09:17 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:06:23 AM, YYW wrote:
I've always liked Laurent. It's probably my favorite non-Anglicized name for either a boy or a girl.

Laurent? That's interesting...not bad. Honestly, it's never a name I considered. Laurent is a nice pick.

I don't even know why I like it. It just sounds beautiful.

I think my tastes are pretty eclectic...definitely not mainstream choices.

That's not a bad thing at all... though if we adopted a baby, we should probably give him a proper English name.
Tsar of DDO
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:12:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:07:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:04:49 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Boys- Juanito, Ezekiel or Santiago
Girls- SanJuanita, MariaDelRosario, Melanie or Hadassah

(Can't think of anymore currently lol).

I like Melanie and Maria. I can see you bring you Latin flare and love for the Bible into your naming process. it's interesting how much the names we like and might choose are also reflections of ourselves.
Yeah haha! True! My Tia (aunt) name is Maria and my primo (cousin) is name Santiago and mi chicia Hermana (my little baby sister) is Hadassah. But yes I really like the Spanish names because idk I like how I can emphasize the accent to the names and then the bible names Hadassah (which is actually the Hebrew name of Esther) and Ezekiel well now he was a prophet. :) sorry I'm ranting hahaha!
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:17:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:07:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:04:49 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Boys- Juanito, Ezekiel or Santiago
Girls- SanJuanita, MariaDelRosario, Melanie or Hadassah

(Can't think of anymore currently lol).

I like Melanie and Maria. I can see you bring you Latin flare and love for the Bible into your naming process. it's interesting how much the names we like and might choose are also reflections of ourselves.

Maria is a beautiful name.

Of latin boy names, Sebastian, Gael and Rafael are probably my favorites.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:10:15 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/24/2014 11:54:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
For Guys

Johnannes

How about Jacques?

Jacques is great!

Hans

Ehh, maybe. I know a Hans... and he's kind of a douche, though. Hard to separate the two.

Alright, then Hans would be off the table. I dismissed Luke because I knew a Luke who was a twit, even if the name would be for Luke Skywalker, because I'm a nerd like that.

Nikita

Little baby Khrushchev... of course.

Yeah...that's an unpleasant comparison, but I absolutely love the name.

Dietrich

Dietrich is probably my favorite german name, though mainly because of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

I like Dietrich a lot too, though Johannes would probably be my favorite German name.

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

For Girls

Klara
Anastasia (all soft "a" sounds)

Ah, yes.

Hands down best female name, IMO.

Emma
Leia
Katja

A lovely name, but hard to shed the connotation of prostitutka.

I guess.

Tasha
Lara
Katrina

Favorite Russian female name, for sure.

Great name, agreed.

Nadja
Raina
Tatjana
Adrienne
Ghislaine
Julia ("j" pronounced as a "y")
Jeanine
Padme
Amidala

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:22:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:12:52 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:07:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:04:49 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Boys- Juanito, Ezekiel or Santiago
Girls- SanJuanita, MariaDelRosario, Melanie or Hadassah

(Can't think of anymore currently lol).

I like Melanie and Maria. I can see you bring you Latin flare and love for the Bible into your naming process. it's interesting how much the names we like and might choose are also reflections of ourselves.
Yeah haha! True! My Tia (aunt) name is Maria and my primo (cousin) is name Santiago and mi chicia Hermana (my little baby sister) is Hadassah. But yes I really like the Spanish names because idk I like how I can emphasize the accent to the names and then the bible names Hadassah (which is actually the Hebrew name of Esther) and Ezekiel well now he was a prophet. :) sorry I'm ranting hahaha!

No, it's fine. I totally get why you'd choose those names. It also shows how important your family is too you that you'd give your kids their names.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:23:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:17:26 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:07:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:04:49 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Boys- Juanito, Ezekiel or Santiago
Girls- SanJuanita, MariaDelRosario, Melanie or Hadassah

(Can't think of anymore currently lol).

I like Melanie and Maria. I can see you bring you Latin flare and love for the Bible into your naming process. it's interesting how much the names we like and might choose are also reflections of ourselves.

Maria is a beautiful name.

It is, indeed.

Of latin boy names, Sebastian, Gael and Rafael are probably my favorites.

I love Sebastian! Sergio would be another Latin name I gravitate towards...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:31:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:10:15 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/24/2014 11:54:55 PM, bsh1 wrote:
For Guys

Johnannes

How about Jacques?

Jacques is great!

Hans

Ehh, maybe. I know a Hans... and he's kind of a douche, though. Hard to separate the two.

Alright, then Hans would be off the table. I dismissed Luke because I knew a Luke who was a twit, even if the name would be for Luke Skywalker, because I'm a nerd like that.

Nikita

Little baby Khrushchev... of course.

Yeah...that's an unpleasant comparison, but I absolutely love the name.

Dietrich

Dietrich is probably my favorite german name, though mainly because of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

I like Dietrich a lot too, though Johannes would probably be my favorite German name.

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

I like Sasha, Nikita, Gavin and Deitrich too.

Non-anglicanized top five?

1. Laurent
2. Alyosha (Alexi)
3. Dmitri
4. Detrich
5. Jacques
6. Christian (for good measure)

For Girls

Klara
Anastasia (all soft "a" sounds)

Ah, yes.

Hands down best female name, IMO.

Emma
Leia
Katja

A lovely name, but hard to shed the connotation of prostitutka.

I guess.

Tasha
Lara
Katrina

Favorite Russian female name, for sure.

Great name, agreed.

Nadja
Raina
Tatjana
Adrienne
Ghislaine
Julia ("j" pronounced as a "y")
Jeanine
Padme
Amidala

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.

Same, non-anglicaniced top five:

1. Katerina
2. Maria
3. Alexandra
4. Dominika
5. Adrienne
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:36:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:31:20 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

I like Sasha, Nikita, Gavin and Deitrich too.

Non-anglicanized top five?

1. Laurent
2. Alyosha (Alexi)
3. Dmitri
4. Detrich
5. Jacques
6. Christian (for good measure)

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.

Same, non-anglicaniced top five:

1. Katerina
2. Maria
3. Alexandra
4. Dominika
5. Adrienne

Interesting how close some of our selection are...I also think that a Russian first name should go with a Russian middle name for continuity, so Dmitry Jacques would not be something I'd like. You?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:41:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:36:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:31:20 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

I like Sasha, Nikita, Gavin and Deitrich too.

Non-anglicanized top five?

1. Laurent
2. Alyosha (Alexi)
3. Dmitri
4. Detrich
5. Jacques
6. Christian (for good measure)

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.

Same, non-anglicaniced top five:

1. Katerina
2. Maria
3. Alexandra
4. Dominika
5. Adrienne

Interesting how close some of our selection are...I also think that a Russian first name should go with a Russian middle name for continuity, so Dmitry Jacques would not be something I'd like. You?

I would never give a kid a non-Anglicanized name... I'd want him/her to fit in in school... and I'm never living in Eastern Europe haha
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:42:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I like names from other places, though... but I also wouldn't mix nationalities... unless my husband was not American... but I don't think that's likely to happen ;)
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:46:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:41:07 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:36:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:31:20 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

I like Sasha, Nikita, Gavin and Deitrich too.

Non-anglicanized top five?

1. Laurent
2. Alyosha (Alexi)
3. Dmitri
4. Detrich
5. Jacques
6. Christian (for good measure)

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.

Same, non-anglicaniced top five:

1. Katerina
2. Maria
3. Alexandra
4. Dominika
5. Adrienne

Interesting how close some of our selection are...I also think that a Russian first name should go with a Russian middle name for continuity, so Dmitry Jacques would not be something I'd like. You?

I would never give a kid a non-Anglicanized name... I'd want him/her to fit in in school... and I'm never living in Eastern Europe haha

Wow. I actually felt the exact opposite. I like to preserve the original spelling, e.g. Katja with a "j" vice a "y." I agree with you in terms of the need to fit in at school, but my thinking was that that could be achieved through a typical, American nickname. So, for Katja, "Kat" would be a good nickname; for Nikita, "Nick;" for Anastasia, "Ana;" and so on.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:55:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:46:59 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:41:07 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:36:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:31:20 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

I like Sasha, Nikita, Gavin and Deitrich too.

Non-anglicanized top five?

1. Laurent
2. Alyosha (Alexi)
3. Dmitri
4. Detrich
5. Jacques
6. Christian (for good measure)

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.

Same, non-anglicaniced top five:

1. Katerina
2. Maria
3. Alexandra
4. Dominika
5. Adrienne

Interesting how close some of our selection are...I also think that a Russian first name should go with a Russian middle name for continuity, so Dmitry Jacques would not be something I'd like. You?

I would never give a kid a non-Anglicanized name... I'd want him/her to fit in in school... and I'm never living in Eastern Europe haha

Wow. I actually felt the exact opposite.

Interesting. I guess this would be something we'd have to sort out if we ever adopted a baby :)

I would be ok with Welsh, Irish or Scottish sounding names, but that's as far out of the scope of Anglicized names I'd be comfortable with. Gareth, Vaughan, Aedan, Hugh, Benedict, or Camden, for example, would all be totally cool with me.

I like to preserve the original spelling, e.g. Katja with a "j" vice a "y." I agree with you in terms of the need to fit in at school, but my thinking was that that could be achieved through a typical, American nickname. So, for Katja, "Kat" would be a good nickname; for Nikita, "Nick;" for Anastasia, "Ana;" and so on.

I can understand that, but I feel like giving a kid a name from a culture that the kid doesn't belong to can be problematic. If we adopted a Russian baby (not that Vladimir Putin would ever allow it), whatever his name would be, would be fine... and even though I speak a bit of Russian, I don't feel like I could ever raise him to appreciate the name's cultural significance if he was not, actually, Russian (or eastern European).
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:08:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:55:27 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:46:59 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:41:07 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:36:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:31:20 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:19:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess my top 5 on the list of names for guys, besides Johannes, would be: Sasha, Cyprien, Nikita, Gavin, and Dietrich. You?

I like Sasha, Nikita, Gavin and Deitrich too.

Non-anglicanized top five?

1. Laurent
2. Alyosha (Alexi)
3. Dmitri
4. Detrich
5. Jacques
6. Christian (for good measure)

Top 5 female names on my list: Anastasia, Katrina, Katja, Leia, and Julia.

Same, non-anglicaniced top five:

1. Katerina
2. Maria
3. Alexandra
4. Dominika
5. Adrienne

Interesting how close some of our selection are...I also think that a Russian first name should go with a Russian middle name for continuity, so Dmitry Jacques would not be something I'd like. You?

I would never give a kid a non-Anglicanized name... I'd want him/her to fit in in school... and I'm never living in Eastern Europe haha

Wow. I actually felt the exact opposite.

Interesting. I guess this would be something we'd have to sort out if we ever adopted a baby :)

I would be ok with Welsh, Irish or Scottish sounding names, but that's as far out of the scope of Anglicized names I'd be comfortable with. Gareth, Vaughan, Aedan, Hugh, Benedict, or Camden, for example, would all be totally cool with me.

Okay...

I like to preserve the original spelling, e.g. Katja with a "j" vice a "y." I agree with you in terms of the need to fit in at school, but my thinking was that that could be achieved through a typical, American nickname. So, for Katja, "Kat" would be a good nickname; for Nikita, "Nick;" for Anastasia, "Ana;" and so on.

I can understand that, but I feel like giving a kid a name from a culture that the kid doesn't belong to can be problematic. If we adopted a Russian baby (not that Vladimir Putin would ever allow it), whatever his name would be, would be fine... and even though I speak a bit of Russian, I don't feel like I could ever raise him to appreciate the name's cultural significance if he was not, actually, Russian (or eastern European).

No, I agree with you 100%. But, you could use some of those names for kids adopted from Eastern Europe as well. Ultimately, though, I concur. When adopting, you have to consider the national origin of the child, the names you like, and what names would be best for the child. It's not an easy process, but, if we adopted, I am sure we'd find an excellent name.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:08:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 1:01:17 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I like Sebastian. I don't know why, but I've always found the name kind of sexy. ;-)

That's because it is.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:10:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:11:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:09:17 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 12:06:23 AM, YYW wrote:
I've always liked Laurent. It's probably my favorite non-Anglicized name for either a boy or a girl.

Laurent? That's interesting...not bad. Honestly, it's never a name I considered. Laurent is a nice pick.

I don't even know why I like it. It just sounds beautiful.

That's like me with Nikita and Anastasia...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:10:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 1:08:49 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 1:01:17 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I like Sebastian. I don't know why, but I've always found the name kind of sexy. ;-)

That's because it is.

I wish I knew more Sebastians in real life.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:11:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sampson
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:15:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/25/2014 12:42:01 AM, YYW wrote:
I like names from other places, though... but I also wouldn't mix nationalities... unless my husband was not American... but I don't think that's likely to happen ;)

That is a very pointed wink...but. somehow, I don't think it likely that your husband won't be American either ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
debatability
Posts: 1,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:15:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think that the name Atticus is perfect for a girl. However, I would be a little hesitant to name a baby something strange... My real name is Frances and I've always hated it lol.