Jump to topic:

First surgery tomorrow, advice much appreciat

queenofmayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:43:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hey guys, to keep a long story short I am having a Tonsillectomy tomorrow. My tonsils take up over 80% of my throat and I have had strep 4 times this year...it is definitely a necessary procedure. Makes giving bjs really hard too....just kidding. Maybe.
So to kind of put things into perspective, I have a deathly fear of needles and basically anything sharp or pointy attached to the hand of a doctor. I haven't had a shot since I was 11 years old. And my Tonsillectomy is scheduled tomorrow and though I have researched I still feel I have no idea what to expect. I know it isn't a major surgery, but for me it is nothing short of a death sentence. So if any of you guys could share the procedure (starting from the second I walk into the hospital) that would be fantastic.
Now, moving onto my fears. I could name off hundreds, but I will just list the big ones.
1. First and foremost, pain. Something I am not very good with, though this is not my biggest. What kind of pain is it, and how severe?
2. Being naked. Hold on, let me explain myself. I am really not joking, with my PTSD I don't like to be touched, and I don't want to be in a hospital gown because I feel it will be removed for whatever reason when I am under anesthesia.
3. Being out cold in a room full of people. PTSD, again. People I don't trust, with knives, while I am nearly naked and out cold. I am entirely at their mercy. F*ck, not really my thing. 2 and 3 happen to be my biggest issues, I don't really know how to put these fears into words because they are so intense. I don't want to be touched at all, neck up only, and even that's stretching it.
4. The IV. To put it mildly I would like to be awake the entire time rather than have a needle in me.
5. Being pinned/tied down. I have severe anxiety, and add my phobia of needles, full blown panic attack. Let's say a panic attack is induced, and mine have gotten as bad as to where I black out. Will I be pinned or tied down? I don't want to suffer heart failure over a tonsillectomy.

Am I irrational? To you, yes, but to myself not at all. Sad as it is this is the most active social networking/adviceish site I am on and I need answers fast.

Thanks for your time, if I never get on this site again you will all be a part of my last will and testimony, and I'll miss you DDO.

Love, Bella
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 4:46:06 PM
Hi sweetie, when I was about 5yrs old, I had my tonsils removed and it was quite scary since I was so young. Mine was do to having constant eat infections and being I'll so the time. Unfortunately, for my throat personally I don't think it did much because to this day I still get eat infections and have so bad of allergies I have to take medication for it like forever (literally). Also when I was about 9months old I had hip surgery that kept me in the hospital for 3 months straight. Then when I got it I had to go back an have another surgery. And I had to have an IV to my heart otherwise I would've died. It's scary having to get surgery done or something but I'm sure all will fun out well for you. And if you never come back to DDO, just know you are precious and I wish you well in life as you grow up and become a great woman. Don't ever loose heart in anything you do. Always be strong. Many blessings to you from above!

~Marie~
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 7:07:44 PM
I hope your surgery goes well!

It's probably too late, but I thought I'd respond anyway in case it's tomorow, tomorrow...the post is only 17 hours old so I'm hoping it catches you...

At 7/10/2014 12:43:37 AM, queenofmayhem wrote:
it is definitely a necessary procedure.

So to kind of put things into perspective, I have a deathly fear of needles and basically anything sharp or pointy attached to the hand of a doctor. I haven't had a shot since I was 11 years old. And my Tonsillectomy is scheduled tomorrow and though I have researched I still feel I have no idea what to expect. I know it isn't a major surgery, but for me it is nothing short of a death sentence. So if any of you guys could share the procedure (starting from the second I walk into the hospital) that would be fantastic.

Before you even walk in, you will likely be instructed to have been fasting--follow the instructions as much as possible because trust me, there's good reasons.

When you get in you'll get a prep room and you'll change and get basic assessments done while you wait for your OR room/time. I'm assuming your parents will be with you, and they'll have consent forms to sign.

Ask to talk to your surgeon and Anesthesiologist/anaesthetist before the procuedure if you're nervous. Ask as many questions as you want! (incidentally, most people don't know that an Anesthesiologist is a doctor, and an Anesthetist is a nurse. Similar basic job function, but different levels of training).

At some point depending on the facility, you'll be hooked to an EKG--this will mean you'll get stickies placed on you. Normally they go on your shoulders, abdomen, and across your chest, but machines differ at various facilities (and I could go on at length about electrocardiology, but they're really there just for monitoring to be safe, not because they're really expecting to need to see anything).

You'll also be put on a BP cuff and a Pulse Oximeter (which also measures your pulse, physically, so that they can correlate the electrical activity with the physical).

At some point you're going to get an IV--there's no practical way to avoid it. The anesthetic is delivered through there, with gasses helping.

When you're out you'll almost certainly be tubed, which means you'll get an Endotracheal tube inserted in your throat. This will keep your airway clear while they're working on your tonsils. Inhaling blood is a bad thing.

While you're out they'll do the cutting...it'll take awhile, but you'll be unconscious.

Technically, they can do it with local anesthetic, but I REALLY REALLY don't recommend it, and they might not even be willing (there's what can be done in THEORY, and what they actually can do...).

Doing it under local means you'll be conscious. It'll be uncomfortable and unpleasant, and will feel more invasive.

Now, moving onto my fears. I could name off hundreds, but I will just list the big ones.
1. First and foremost, pain. Something I am not very good with, though this is not my biggest. What kind of pain is it, and how severe?

It's mostly soreness. It varies depending on lots of factors, to be honest. On how big your tonsils are, how much work they have to do, how well the tube goes in, etc. etc.

It's an unpleasant sorenesss, but it's usually not that terrible. Plus, ice cream!

2. Being naked. Hold on, let me explain myself. I am really not joking, with my PTSD I don't like to be touched, and I don't want to be in a hospital gown because I feel it will be removed for whatever reason when I am under anesthesia.

If you're concerned about this sort of thing, they can probably accommodate undergarments or wraps. Nothing fancy, obviously...but if you wanted to wrap your upper torso with gauze or something, that could probably be arranged, or a sports bra (preferably one without straps...are those still considered sports bras? Whatever those things are called).

3. Being out cold in a room full of people. PTSD, again. People I don't trust, with knives, while I am nearly naked and out cold. I am entirely at their mercy. F*ck, not really my thing. 2 and 3 happen to be my biggest issues, I don't really know how to put these fears into words because they are so intense. I don't want to be touched at all, neck up only, and even that's stretching it.

Let me emphasize again: LET THEM KNOCK YOU OUT. It will be WAY better. You'll be agitated about thinking about it...but you wont' be agitated while they're working on you, and you won't have to experience them working on you, which I wager will be pretty awful for you.

LET THEM KNOCK YOU OUT.

At a certain point, you have to recognize you need to trust these people. They have your life in their hands no matter what. There are multiple safeguards in place to prevent anything inappropriate.

4. The IV. To put it mildly I would like to be awake the entire time rather than have a needle in me.

Unfortunately, that's not how the options break down. An IV is almost certainly going to be required. You need it for drugs, and for quick med/fluid administration if something goes wrong.

It's POSSIBLE that MAYBE they can knock you out before placing the IV, though--that's a good question to ask the anestetist.

It's also possible (and even more likely) that they can give you some meds to, well, honestly, make you kinda high and not care as much. Benzodiazepines work great for this sort of issue. They don't mess with your thinking, though some mess with your short term memory--which can be a good thing in this case. I'd ask about something like that, especially if you have a diagnosis of PTSD

5. Being pinned/tied down. I have severe anxiety, and add my phobia of needles, full blown panic attack. Let's say a panic attack is induced, and mine have gotten as bad as to where I black out. Will I be pinned or tied down? I don't want to suffer heart failure over a tonsillectomy.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Are you saying that you're afraid of having a panic attack while under sedation in the OR? Beforehand? If you have an attack before the operation, they can deal with it...and how they do so kinda depends on what kind of panic attack you have.

Am I irrational? To you, yes, but to myself not at all. Sad as it is this is the most active social networking/adviceish site I am on and I need answers fast.

Thanks for your time, if I never get on this site again you will all be a part of my last will and testimony, and I'll miss you DDO.

Love, Bella

Again, good luck! Hope all went or goes well!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 10:00:53 PM
I had my tonsils removed when I was in first or second grade. I went under anesthesia of course. They had me sing happy birthday to a nurse as they put the mask over my mouth and I could remember as much as singing the first three or four words of the song before I went out.

I didn't remember any ounce of the actual surgery when I woke up. I did wake up for a moment after the surgery was done. My throat felt very sore, like I had some kind of bad cough or acid reflux. It did not feel like someone had cut my throat or anything to that effect. It was not painful in that sense - it was just annoying. However, I fell right back to sleep because the anesthesia was still pretty strong.

Also, I believe no matter what method is used - anesthesia or IV - you'll still be administered some kind of pain/numbing medicine. I was awake for the removal of four wisdom teeth last year and there was not a sharp sensation at all. All that's felt is pressure. I actually was sort of baffled when the first tooth was out because it didn't feel like a whole tooth had been dug out of my mouth.

Lastly, and most importantly - recall that many, if not most, people in the medical field get there because they really want to help people. Especially surgeons. They have a strong desire to help and not hurt you. Think about shows like Gray's Anatomy (that is the doctor show, correct?) and visualize how passionate these people can be.

Also, because this is a surgery, there will be more than one person there. Someone is way less likely to commit a wrongdoing against you when others are present, especially their co-workers. If not for the amazing heart of many medical persona, the surgeons and the assistants/nurses won't do wrongs against you because of other people around.

Hope you find out that it's alright! Try not to fret too much :)
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 1:28:52 AM
Hey guys, to keep a long story short I am having a Tonsillectomy tomorrow. My tonsils take up over 80% of my throat and I have had strep 4 times this year...it is definitely a necessary procedure. Makes giving bjs really hard too....just kidding. Maybe.

Love, Bella

Hey, I know a couple people who had to go through a similar procedure, they all said it was quick and not too painful. The recovery process is the b*tch while the actual procedure takes less than 10 minutes :) I hope it goes well for you. keep us updated.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 9:22:09 AM
Now seeing this, I hope everything was fine Bella!
I wish you a strong and speedy recovery! (With lots of ice-cream! :D)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 4:33:39 PM
Good luck, hope it went well today. It is extremely hard to deal with fear. I find myself reminding that my fear is nothing more than a chemical reaction in my brain triggering the feeling and it is not based upon reality of what is happening around me.

probably eating ice cream by now. take care