Jump to topic:

Seriousness of being in a relationship

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 10:49:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Never liked christian books, but i picked up an interesting read on relationships. It exposes the unrealistic expectations of being in one and how we should focus on God to prepare us for the one. I never been in a relationship, but being raised in a Christian environment, i kinda had an idea of what i wanted. People date/court for all the wrong reasons (infatuation,lust,etc.) and end up heart-broken. They don't know what true love is and that 1st, you must be satisfied being alone because you have flaws in character that relationships will not solve. I never been in an official relationship and i'm glad, but the past crushes and admirers were enough to give me emotional damage. Though i'm still a virgin, i already feel "dirty and cast out." Truth is: Each time you give your heart to someone, you lose a part of it each time. This isn't just restricted to sex, but also to other things as well. You lose something..you lose the intimate excitement and newness of being in love. Being in a relationship causes wounds and some wounds will never heal. Yea, you might find "the one", but it's not going to automatically erase the damage done in past relationships. Even being in a relationship with God (tho not directly caused by God) has caused me scars in a sense. Wisdom should always be practiced especially in the area of being in a relationship.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:43:27 AM
At 7/12/2014 10:49:28 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Never liked christian books, but i picked up an interesting read on relationships. It exposes the unrealistic expectations of being in one and how we should focus on God to prepare us for the one. I never been in a relationship, but being raised in a Christian environment, i kinda had an idea of what i wanted. People date/court for all the wrong reasons (infatuation,lust,etc.) and end up heart-broken. They don't know what true love is and that 1st, you must be satisfied being alone because you have flaws in character that relationships will not solve. I never been in an official relationship and i'm glad, but the past crushes and admirers were enough to give me emotional damage. Though i'm still a virgin, i already feel "dirty and cast out." Truth is: Each time you give your heart to someone, you lose a part of it each time. This isn't just restricted to sex, but also to other things as well. You lose something..you lose the intimate excitement and newness of being in love. Being in a relationship causes wounds and some wounds will never heal. Yea, you might find "the one", but it's not going to automatically erase the damage done in past relationships. Even being in a relationship with God (tho not directly caused by God) has caused me scars in a sense. Wisdom should always be practiced especially in the area of being in a relationship.

You are right. My mom used to say that your heart is like a sticky note that loses some of its sticky each time you stick it to something.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:53:29 AM
At 7/12/2014 11:43:27 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

You are right. My mom used to say that your heart is like a sticky note that loses some of its sticky each time you stick it to something.

Yea..up to date, i have never actually poured my whole heart (now being more mature) on someone else nor do i plan to anytime soon. The media gives such unrealistic expectations and views on love (not romantic love, but true love) and that's why most relationships don't work out.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 12:04:45 PM
At 7/12/2014 11:53:29 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Yea..up to date, i have never actually poured my whole heart (now being more mature) on someone else nor do i plan to anytime soon. The media gives such unrealistic expectations and views on love (not romantic love, but true love) and that's why most relationships don't work out.

I completely agree with you. I'm doing the same thing.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 5:32:15 PM
At 7/12/2014 12:04:45 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I am very romantic, but i realize that many girls don't deserve this side of me. I won't show it until i am sure that God has given me "the one."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 5:32:45 PM
At 7/12/2014 5:32:15 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 7/12/2014 12:04:45 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I am very romantic, but i realize that many girls don't deserve this side of me. I won't show it until i am sure that God has given me "the one."

Ditto!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 5:42:46 PM
Agreed
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad