Jump to topic:

Parents disagreeing over politics/LGBT?

Kai_Piranha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:50:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm going to go out on a loop here, but I'm genuinely curious about this situation, as I can't find anything about it and don't know people personally who've experienced it. Specifically, I would like to ask those who identify as LGBT, but I'm open to anyone who may have experienced something similar. (I also had no idea what forum to put it on but 'personal' seemed legitimate.)

Do you have parents who disagree over same-sex marriage (one opposes it, one doesn't) and are still are together? If so, how has this impacted your relationship with them?

I'm asking because I know couples who disagree with one another over political views, but I have wondered how this might impact their children. I also am aware that many couples will either support or reject their children who come out, but I have never heard of one parent supporting while the other rejecting. I also wanted to see if it was possible for a family with divided views to still retain itself.

I hope that wasn't too long of a post! As I mentioned before, feel free to respond if you have parents who disagree on other political or social issues.
><> kP
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 4:24:18 PM
This didn't happen to me, but to someone else.

A guy, I don't know his name, came out as an Atheist to his parents (his parents were Christians) and his mother completely supported him, while his father completely disowned him.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 8:12:01 AM
At 7/18/2014 8:50:02 AM, Kai_Piranha wrote:
I'm going to go out on a loop here, but I'm genuinely curious about this situation, as I can't find anything about it and don't know people personally who've experienced it. Specifically, I would like to ask those who identify as LGBT, but I'm open to anyone who may have experienced something similar. (I also had no idea what forum to put it on but 'personal' seemed legitimate.)

Do you have parents who disagree over same-sex marriage (one opposes it, one doesn't) and are still are together? If so, how has this impacted your relationship with them?

I'm asking because I know couples who disagree with one another over political views, but I have wondered how this might impact their children. I also am aware that many couples will either support or reject their children who come out, but I have never heard of one parent supporting while the other rejecting. I also wanted to see if it was possible for a family with divided views to still retain itself.

I hope that wasn't too long of a post! As I mentioned before, feel free to respond if you have parents who disagree on other political or social issues.

why are you interested in this situation? I'm afraid I can't help you :\
Kai_Piranha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:05:16 PM
At 7/19/2014 8:12:01 AM, Dennybug wrote:

why are you interested in this situation? I'm afraid I can't help you :\

It's okay; it's optional.
><> kP
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 2:17:34 PM
My ex's mother is a hardcore liberal political activist, who is both very vocal and very active in supporting LGBT rights. When my ex (her daughter) came out, her mom was very supportive and understanding. Her father who is okay with gay people outside of his family was really upset about our relationship. I was shocked (and hurt) that her mom didn't stick up for us more, knowing how outspoken she is in terms of politics and the community in support of gay rights. Meanwhile when it came to her own daughter, she was more understanding and passive regarding her husband's "traditional" beliefs than she is okay with the rest of the world's. I found that very interesting. On one hand it's hypocritical, and on the other hand it was impressive in terms of the respect she had for her husband's views and their marriage. She didn't want it to come between them. Ultimately her husband treated me with respect and showed love to their daughter, so I think that was her most important value. It depends on people's priorities how they would handle a disagreement in values.
President of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 8:07:29 PM
Me and my wife are at opposite ends of the subject, I have two kids one a teenager the other a preteen. I don't discuss it with my wife, there is no point. As for the kids, if either makes claims I make them back it up and provide sources. Then I discuss those sources and how credible both I and they think they are. I would not disown either of my children for being gay, but I would not allow it to be displayed in front of me. It creeps me out and gives me the hebbie gebbies. Neither is old enough to make educated comments about sexuality or even remotely prepared to accept and pay for the consequences that go with being sexually active.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 8:16:08 PM

I don't identify as LGBT, but my parents have opposing views. My father is a classic anti-gay advocate and my mother is the classic supportive parent. Have their opposing views affected me nonetheless? Yes. Because my father's love is so conditional. He has literally stated that he wouldn't approve of any different orientation stuff and makes snide comments about one of our neighbors (who is transgender).

This might sound kind of weird, but even though I'm straight, I don't feel accepted enough by my father. His reasons for acceptance are based on circular reasoning. Fallacies among fallacies. Those fallacies don't just end there - they carry on into other aspects of my life. Such as being yelled (this word alone doesn't describe how harsh it was though) at for not finding where he parked when A) I was told my mother would be picking me up from work B) He didn't park in the parking lot, but on a side street to a neighboring building. C) When he picked me up in the past, he parked in the parking lot.

As far as my parents' relationship goes, that is also affected. Not really by the LGBT veiws, but the differences in their logical reasoning.