Jump to topic:

What Phone Should I Get

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 2:38:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm pretty sick of iPhones. Anyone have experience with various Android phones that can offer their opinion about which one is best?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 2:46:20 PM
At 7/21/2014 2:38:54 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm pretty sick of iPhones. Anyone have experience with various Android phones that can offer their opinion about which one is best?

It's not Android, but the Amazon Fire phone looks really awesome. It's only on At&T though.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 3:38:34 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Samsung Note 3. Brilliant with the battery life, speed and overall general usability. I only reboot the thing once every few months.

The size while great for internet browsing or video can be a detriment to one handed operation. I can do it one handed but just barely when reaching the thumb across the screen.

If galaxy 5 is just as stable as Note 3, I would not hesitate getting one.

Android is also a little painful because all the cell companies put all these garbage apps that you never use on it. I just root the phone and use an app to freeze them. haven't done a custom rom on my note and probably won't since I have great stability now.

All in all it crushes my Iphone from work, which often hangs when opening apps, it is small, and just not the same quality of software stability.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:10:09 PM

A working one. :D

Or https://www.google.tt...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:18:35 PM
You should get an Android phone, they are much better than Crapples.

I recommend; htc hd2, htc one m8, samsung galxy s4 and nokia lumia.
Some might be a little expensive, the htc hd2 is actually an old model but runs really wel :p.

perhaps, this can influence you to side with Android...
http://www.debate.org...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:19:07 PM
At 7/21/2014 3:25:11 PM, YYW wrote:
Why are you sick of your iPhone? Which one do you have?

4S.

Basically, I don't like the new version of iOS, and I'm tired of Siri's extremely limited functionality. Android's Google Now voice feature is ridiculously faster and better. This is kind of a big deal given that your phone becomes useless when you're driving besides what you can do via voice commands.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:21:24 PM
At 7/21/2014 3:38:34 PM, slo1 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the Samsung Note 3. Brilliant with the battery life, speed and overall general usability. I only reboot the thing once every few months.

The size while great for internet browsing or video can be a detriment to one handed operation. I can do it one handed but just barely when reaching the thumb across the screen.

If galaxy 5 is just as stable as Note 3, I would not hesitate getting one.

Android is also a little painful because all the cell companies put all these garbage apps that you never use on it. I just root the phone and use an app to freeze them. haven't done a custom rom on my note and probably won't since I have great stability now.

All in all it crushes my Iphone from work, which often hangs when opening apps, it is small, and just not the same quality of software stability.

Any idea if the Nexus 5 from Sprint comes with crapware? It's supposed to be Google's proprietary phone, so it might not.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:41:06 PM
Personally, I love my windows phone, and would recommend checking them out. I have a Lumia 1020, flat out amazing for pictures if that means anything to you.

One problem though... Windows is still pretty far behind in the apps department. Can't say as I'd blame you if you call that a deal breaker. Other than that, the OS is very fluid, and the voice recognition is solid.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:42:32 PM

You are a billionaire, buy them all, and send the ones you don't like to me :-p
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:55:08 PM

A Nokia 6015I Cdma AllTell is always an option.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:18:48 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:19:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:

4S.

Basically, I don't like the new version of iOS, and I'm tired of Siri's extremely limited functionality. Android's Google Now voice feature is ridiculously faster and better. This is kind of a big deal given that your phone becomes useless when you're driving besides what you can do via voice commands.

Well, I never really use Siri... but then again I don't drive very much. I've got a 5s and I love it. The internet is really fast, and I've never dropped a call (even through central Pennsylvania, which is pretty much the third world).

Idk. I would suggest going to the AT&T or Verizon store, but I've never really had good experiences with either of them. Although they're way better than Best Buy...

My brother has an Android and he loves it. I have no idea what kind, though. I just know that it's an Android, has a big screen and makes annoying noises when he receives text messages.

A friend of mine has one of those new HTC phones, which she loves but mainly because it's new and expensive. I think she really only uses it for Tinder, Facebook and Google Maps. lol
Tsar of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:40:18 PM
At 7/21/2014 6:18:48 PM, YYW wrote:

4S.

Well, I never really use Siri... but then again I don't drive very much. I've got a 5s and I love it. The internet is really fast, and I've never dropped a call (even through central Pennsylvania, which is pretty much the third world).

Idk. I would suggest going to the AT&T or Verizon store, but I've never really had good experiences with either of them. Although they're way better than Best Buy...

My brother has an Android and he loves it. I have no idea what kind, though. I just know that it's an Android, has a big screen and makes annoying noises when he receives text messages.

A friend of mine has one of those new HTC phones, which she loves but mainly because it's new and expensive. I think she really only uses it for Tinder, Facebook and Google Maps. lol

Lol, pretty much any smartphone would be good for that.... Swipe left/right is a pretty simple function.

I've had iPhones for the last 4 years, and I have Nexus 7 (tablet), so I know Android. I like the Android platform a lot better than iOS. Just looking for a device comparison. I talked to someone who hated his Galaxy S5 because it had too much crapware on it. I know you can root it to get rid of that stuff (although it's kind of an annoyance). Currently considering just getting a Nexus 5 since I already have the tablet version and like it, but it only comes on the Sprint network (at least, that's the only carrier that has deals on the phone for a 2-year contract).
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:41:03 PM
I used to have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I really enjoyed that phone. I found it more intuitive and easy to use. Granted, I'm technologically challenged (I still never use Siri haha)

The only benefit to my iPhone 5s, really, is the finger print thing, since I'm too lazy to key in a code to unlock it.

What don't you like about the iPhone?
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:44:00 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:40:18 PM, bluesteel wrote:

4S.

Lol, pretty much any smartphone would be good for that.... Swipe left/right is a pretty simple function.

I've had iPhones for the last 4 years, and I have Nexus 7 (tablet), so I know Android. I like the Android platform a lot better than iOS. Just looking for a device comparison. I talked to someone who hated his Galaxy S5 because it had too much crapware on it. I know you can root it to get rid of that stuff (although it's kind of an annoyance). Currently considering just getting a Nexus 5 since I already have the tablet version and like it, but it only comes on the Sprint network (at least, that's the only carrier that has deals on the phone for a 2-year contract).

Is that the one that's waterproof?
Tsar of DDO
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:45:41 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:41:03 PM, tulle wrote:
I used to have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I really enjoyed that phone. I found it more intuitive and easy to use. Granted, I'm technologically challenged (I still never use Siri haha)

The only benefit to my iPhone 5s, really, is the finger print thing, since I'm too lazy to key in a code to unlock it.

I should probably read threads before I post in them -___-
yang.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:56:48 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:45:41 PM, tulle wrote:
At 7/21/2014 7:41:03 PM, tulle wrote:

I should probably read threads before I post in them -___-

lol. No worries.

The biggest things are that I'd prefer that voice command be integrated with Google Maps, not Apple Maps which is terrible. Siri no longer lets you record voice memos (because people figured out how to bypass the iOS password when Siri was integrated with voice memos). Siri cannot open applications for you. You can't change the native keyboard in iOS. And the way that multiple tabs in Safari and background apps display (when you double tap the home button) for iOS is kind of annoying. Siri has terrible voice recognition, and half the time her server is overloaded, so she simply says, "I'm so sorry, I can't help you right now."

My last interaction with her was, "Next song." She changes the song to the next one, but I still didn't like it. "Next song." "Shall I search the web for 'Exxon.'" No, wtf....
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:57:28 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:44:00 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 7:40:18 PM, bluesteel wrote:

4S.

Is that the one that's waterproof?

I think the Galaxy S5 is the waterproof one. Nexus is definitely not waterproof.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 1:43:13 AM
The only phone that's ever impressed me besides iPhones would be the Nexus 5. One of the girls I'm dating has it, and I've never seen a phone faster in my life.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 4:14:10 PM
At 7/22/2014 1:43:13 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The only phone that's ever impressed me besides iPhones would be the Nexus 5. One of the girls I'm dating has it, and I've never seen a phone faster in my life.

Nice, that's the phone I'm considering.

You dating anyone with a Galaxy S5 so you can compare? :P
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 6:28:04 PM
At 7/22/2014 4:14:10 PM, bluesteel wrote:

haha, nope. Just a buncha iPhone whores
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 6:49:59 PM
At 7/22/2014 6:28:04 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/22/2014 4:14:10 PM, bluesteel wrote:

haha, nope. Just a buncha iPhone whores

dang... that woulda been a good excuse for a threesome. "Hey, come over, I need to compare your phones." ... "Why don't you girls massage each other or something while I play with your cells."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 7:04:32 PM
I mostly have experience with Androids by Sony. The Xperia versions are my favorite. Sleek design and functional. The only problem is the camera while taking pictures of people, which I rarely do, but the results are often horrendous. The lens makes them either elongated or broad depending on the angle, and colours/contrast are awful. Not sure about the new Xperia(s), they are probably better.

Perhaps iPhone is more open to customization than before, but Android has generally offered remarkably more user customization (aka freedom to make of your phone what you wish), and I find this option important. You can jailbreak and whatnot, but the standard on Android is much more free.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 10:13:43 AM
I have a Moto X. It's a pretty nice phone, but I honestly can't compare it to a lot of smartphones because I hate how big the screens tend to be, so it was mainly picked out for the characteristic of "I can put a case on it and still have it fit in my pocket". That said, it's a good phone - long battery life (it's really rare that I have to recharge it during the day, which is fantastic for a smartphone that I use frequently), not a whole lot of uninstallable crap, and the little uninstallable crap it does come with is actually quite nice. I really like Motorola Assist. I can tell when you're driving and work solely of voice commands, can look for meetings in your calendar and not bother you during them, you can tell it when you will be sleeping and it won't wake you up, and you can program a home location and it will work off voice commands while there so you don't break rules by having your phone with you at the dinner table. And it can sense changes in light (like when you take it out of your pocket) and display the time on your screen, so you know how much time until the bus comes without draining your battery so much. It's the weird little features like that that I love.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 10:15:18 AM
Oh yeah, if you care about that kind of thing, you can customize it in basically any set of colors you want. Makes the iphone 5c look a little boring, no?

https://www.motorola.com...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 10:32:37 AM

If I were you I'd wait until September when the iPhone 6 and iOS8 are released and then make the decision.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 11:38:03 AM
At 7/24/2014 10:32:37 AM, Geogeer wrote:

If I were you I'd wait until September when the iPhone 6 and iOS8 are released and then make the decision.

Did I miss it, or are there no expected improvements to Siri?