Jump to topic:

Mother tongues

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 12:10:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Who here was raised in a home that did not speak the language of the majority of the population in your country? If so, what language was it and where do you live? How did it affect you?

The whole concept of minority languages has for some reason become very fascinating to me recently, so I'd be interested in hearing anyones personal experience with having a mothertongue that is different from most of the populace
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 6:50:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/28/2014 12:10:48 AM, thett3 wrote:
Who here was raised in a home that did not speak the language of the majority of the population in your country? If so, what language was it and where do you live? How did it affect you?

The whole concept of minority languages has for some reason become very fascinating to me recently, so I'd be interested in hearing anyones personal experience with having a mothertongue that is different from most of the populace

Born in Miami FL. and was raised fluently in german. When I was 4 my family moved to Chiang Mai, Thailand where the majority speaks Thai. I attended german school until I was 8 and had no formal introduction to Thai or English. When I turned 9 I began homeschooling in English up until now.

It feels great to have a secret language of your own, however it does make you feel alienated to an extent to be at a mall while everyone is speaking Thai. Culture is of course very different so not only is the language different but the topics as well.

Hearing someone speak english in a crowd of people is a breath of fresh air and I always listen in because it's so strange to hear someone speaking the same language as me.

You get used to it though, because foreigners find a community of like minded people and hang out with them. you realize it the most when you're out alone :) I wouldn't say it's upsetting just different.