Jump to topic:

Should I become Italian?

joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:00:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I'm Brazilian, but since my father's family is of Italian origin, we have right to request Italian citizenship, which my father, uncles and cousins did several years ago, and now it has finally been granted, however, when I think about it, I wonder if I should accept it, since, except for a taste for pasta and lasagna, I don't identify myself with Italy in anyway, I'm no more Italian than Norwegian, Turkish or Japanese (in fact I'd say I'm more Japanese than Italian, since I am learning Japanese, while I never had any interest for Italian). I don't see Italy as anything other than a potential tourist destination and I don't even like the Azzuri.
People use to say that having an Italian citizenship is good because having a EU passport allows me to travel to many places without needing a visa, and that people with Brazilian passport are usually discriminated, but is it really worthy to less discriminated or to be granted privileges that most people like me wouldn't have if I'll have to be something I don't identify with?
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:23:07 PM
Yes.

Pasta pasta wine
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:25:26 PM
At 8/2/2014 10:00:27 PM, joepbr wrote:
So, I'm Brazilian, but since my father's family is of Italian origin, we have right to request Italian citizenship, which my father, uncles and cousins did several years ago, and now it has finally been granted, however, when I think about it, I wonder if I should accept it, since, except for a taste for pasta and lasagna, I don't identify myself with Italy in anyway, I'm no more Italian than Norwegian, Turkish or Japanese (in fact I'd say I'm more Japanese than Italian, since I am learning Japanese, while I never had any interest for Italian). I don't see Italy as anything other than a potential tourist destination and I don't even like the Azzuri.
People use to say that having an Italian citizenship is good because having a EU passport allows me to travel to many places without needing a visa, and that people with Brazilian passport are usually discriminated, but is it really worthy to less discriminated or to be granted privileges that most people like me wouldn't have if I'll have to be something I don't identify with?

The best part of this is the thread title.

Like "Might morphing ethnicity"
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:33:41 PM
At 8/2/2014 10:25:26 PM, Mikal wrote:

Ethnicity is not the same thing as citizenship.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:34:18 PM
At 8/2/2014 10:33:41 PM, joepbr wrote:

That's the point

You can't become "Italian", you can become a citizen haha
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:48:24 PM
At 8/2/2014 10:34:18 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 8/2/2014 10:33:41 PM, joepbr wrote:

That's the point

You can't become "Italian", you can become a citizen haha

Well, I'm not sure if Italian is a valid ethnicity, but if it is, then I wouldn't become Italian, I have always been it.
Well, in some way, Italy does consider Italian to be an ethnicity, since they grant citizenship to people with Italian blood - which is basically recognizing them to be ethnic Italians, but since at this side of the Atlantic ethnicity and citizenship aren't related, the idea that I might become citizen of a country I have nothing to do with is weird for me.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 1:14:36 PM

If you can claim dual citizenship I don't see why you wouldn't want to. It's less about identifying with something or another and more about just collecting titles that convey benefits.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 2:26:31 PM

See your italian nationality as a practical tool, not as a philosophic treason to your origins. I would totaly get one, it's not changing who I am, just making the international comunity more friendly to me :p
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 3:26:07 PM
Don't become Italian. They use. Too much hair gel, talk silly and drink and party all the time having sex with anonymous strangers.

Please don't become a douchebag.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 3:34:40 PM
At 8/2/2014 10:23:07 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Yes.

Pasta pasta wine

this^

And this >
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 4:04:26 PM
The Brazilian passport opens up for tourism travelling in most of Europe visa-free. And only half of your ancestry is Italian, thus I do not see many compelling reasons for taking the citizenship.

I'll note that I strongly detest people leaving behind their original nationhood/ethnicity merely because they were born in another country.