GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:49:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Mace, pocket knife or liscenced gun?
And why?

I own a pocket knife, but I think something else could be more of use for more defense if needed. What do you think?
(Yes, this is probably the most strangest forward topic of me to ask, but oh well!)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:52:55 PM
At 8/13/2014 7:49:14 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
And why?

I own a pocket knife, but I think something else could be more of use for more defense if needed. What do you think?
(Yes, this is probably the most strangest forward topic of me to ask, but oh well!)

The gun might be faster but the pocket knife might be easier to conceal and more fun- ahem, I mean, satisfactory to take care of your problems with.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 8:02:42 PM
At 8/13/2014 7:52:55 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
And why?

The gun might be faster but the pocket knife might be easier to conceal and more fun- ahem, I mean, satisfactory to take care of your problems with.

Lol Annie you would say something like this. But aight.
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 8:07:08 PM
Mace. Getting a concealed carry license requires a lot of work and you have to know what you're doing. If you're willing to learn, go for it but it isn't something to treat lightly. As for a pocket knife...if someone is trying to mug/rape you, I doubt that it would deter them much. Maybe better than nothing, but Mace is going to be way preferable imo.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 8:17:50 PM
At 8/13/2014 8:07:08 PM, thett3 wrote:
Mace. Getting a concealed carry license requires a lot of work and you have to know what you're doing. If you're willing to learn, go for it but it isn't something to treat lightly. As for a pocket knife...if someone is trying to mug/rape you, I doubt that it would deter them much. Maybe better than nothing, but Mace is going to be way preferable imo.

Hmmm that makes sense!! I don't own any mace, but I've been to I should get some.
"Good Times" ~ Max
Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 8:31:35 PM
Carry both the pocket knife and the mace.

Guns take too long to get a license for, and may be prohibited in some places.

Mace is good for people without glasses, but if they do you are fu(ked. Literally.

A pocket knife is a good alternative to the mace if he wears glasses. You can stab him and run away.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 8:32:16 PM
And why?

I'd go with the mace. A knife can be problematic since you have to get close to stab someone, which in the process, they can snatch the knife from you.

A gun is to much work. Getting a license, permit, training, etc.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:18:51 PM
At 8/13/2014 8:32:16 PM, SamStevens wrote:
And why?

I'd go with the mace. A knife can be problematic since you have to get close to stab someone, which in the process, they can snatch the knife from you.

A gun is too much work. Getting a license, permit, training, etc.

Fixed.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:30:32 PM
And why?

Are you a sadistic psychopath? Its DDO so I wouldn't be wholly surprised.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:33:26 PM
And why?

For a pocket knife to be effective, you've got to have one that is easily openable (like a switch blade -which are often illegal in many parts of the US, or a butterfly knife) and which you know how to use effectively.

Knife fighting is hard and dangerous, and unless you're 'very' good with it, and you have the right kind of knife, and you're willing to risk having that knife taken from you and used against you, it's not a good option.

Guns are good, but the sense of security they offer people is overrated. For a gun to have stopping power, it's got to be withdrawn (like from a purse, which takes a long time), aimed properly (which is harder than it looks) and all of this has to be done in less than the time it takes a potential assailant to attack.

Learning how to fire a gun at a target is not a difficult thing to do, but knowing how to fire a gun in a high pressure situation and being able to hit a target under high-stress conditions is a skill that almost no civilians have. Moreover, if you have a gun and your potential assailant also has a gun, they are more likely to shoot you before you even get your gun out of your purse. Guns are usually bad options, unless you have extensive training -like that which you receive from being in the military or being a member of a police department.

Mace is good at a range usually of between 5-10 feet which means that you don't have to actually be close to your assailant to defend yourself and it has a wide range meaning that you don't have to aim well for it to be effective. It's highly effective at impairing a potential assailant and a can of mace is far easier to use and more efficient to aim than a gun. Also, mace is non-lethal, which means you'll be less likely to hesitate to pull the trigger.

I would personally recommend mace, and I would strongly discourage the use (or possession) of a gun, or use of a pocket knife for self defense. This is for both men and women, btw.
Tsar of DDO
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:34:59 PM
At 8/13/2014 9:31:06 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Carry a shotgun strapped across your back at all times. I guarantee no one will mess with you.

LOL!!! I love this idea!! But I wouldn't do it haha!
"Good Times" ~ Max
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:35:58 PM
Carry a shotgun strapped across your back at all times. I guarantee no one will mess with you.

OR someone could just take the shotgun from behind and use it against you... I know you're being sarcastic, but the level of personal security that people derive from firearms is vastly overrated.

Most people do not know how to fire guns properly, and of those who can at least properly load a gun, even fewer would be able to use one in self defense. They would hesitate to use lethal force, which is an incredibly risky endeavor when the stakes involve lead and gun powder.
Tsar of DDO
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:38:47 PM
At 8/13/2014 9:35:58 PM, YYW wrote:

OR someone could just take the shotgun from behind and use it against you... I know you're being sarcastic, but the level of personal security that people derive from firearms is vastly overrated.

Fine, then carry the gun in your arms with the safety off at all times. That, in addition to two revolvers holstered on each hip. And a combat knife concealed under the pant leg in a boot.

Most people do not know how to fire guns properly, and of those who can at least properly load a gun, even fewer would be able to use one in self defense. They would hesitate to use lethal force, which is an incredibly risky endeavor when the stakes involve lead and gun powder.

My circumstance would probably have it that the person knows how to use the weapons efficiently.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:42:51 PM
As a general rule, having a gun for self defense is stupid for three reasons:

1. It takes a long time to withdraw, aim and fire a gun even under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions -like when someone is holding a gun to your head- you will not have time to withdraw your firearm and discharge it before someone can shoot you. If you make sudden moves when someone has a gun to you, you are going to get shot. Pulling a gun on someone who has a gun will almost invariably get you shot before you can even get your gun out.

2. Even if you can get your gun out and aim it properly, most normal human beings will hesitate just long enough to be shot and killed before they can discharge it because they are afraid to take another's life, even when their life is in danger. No one wants to talk about that because we all want to think that we'd be macho enough to be the one to pull the trigger. That is almost never the case, because most of us aren't sociopaths.

3. The reality is that most people will not be able to withdraw and aim their guns because they simply don't have the skill set to use firearms in high-stress environments. Being able to hit a target in a closed shooting range is easy, and it is in no way indicative of any unique or special skill set. It requires ten minutes and good vision. Being able to hit a target, especially a moving one, in a high stress environment is just statistically almost impossible for civilians.

Conclusion:

Guns are not good for self defense. Second amendment rights activists are dumb.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:47:41 PM
And why?

Knife and mace in close quarters, gun at distance.

1) Mace is ideal for common crimes. If someone is trying to mug or assault you, the mace requires much less accuracy, and provides the best opening for escape. Though be warned, that wild spraying (as you likely would in such a situation) will likely get you as well.

One time, I decided to test my wife's pepper spray. Just a quick spray in the back corner room, not in my eye's anything, just to see how far it shot and what not. The entire house was contaminated for about 4 hours. Anyone that walked it would instantly be choking and burning in the eyes. Not blinding, but extremely uncomfortable.

2) Knives are my preference, because they so many more uses beyond just self defense, so they are the most practical. They do have the advantage that they don't have to hit the person's face to be effective. If someone is trying to hurt you, just bump into them and give a few shanks to the gut (with a twisting motion). Plus, there are some that can be really feminine so that no one gives you a weird look if you pull it out to cut something out of a package.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com...

3) Guns are better for at home defense, rather than walking around. Since they are not good choices for when someone is an arms reach of you and you rarely know that someone is a serious threat from a large distance, these are not really great choices (unless you escape from someone to create some distance and the come after you). They can work great with mace or a knife. One of those to create an opening to run, then you pull the gun when you have some distance to prevent them from chasing or holding them there until the police arrive.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:49:16 PM

Except the police, they will hassle you a lot if you do that, lol.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:50:48 PM
Unless you are particularly skilled with either a knife or in the use of a handgun, I'd go mace.

Especially considering the times I'd most need to protect myself from an attacker are times when I'm drunk... well, those aren't exactly the best times to be wielding fatal weapons.

I say mace.

But it depends on the person and their purposes.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:53:40 PM
At 8/13/2014 9:47:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
One time, I decided to test my wife's pepper spray. Just a quick spray in the back corner room, not in my eye's anything, just to see how far it shot and what not. The entire house was contaminated for about 4 hours. Anyone that walked it would instantly be choking and burning in the eyes. Not blinding, but extremely uncomfortable.

Same.

I test mine every now and then in the bathroom sink just to make sure it's all good. The mere smell of it will mess up my sinuses and eyes for a good hour or so.

Cops recommend you get the kind that shoots a straight line and not the cloud kind (stupid) for that reason.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:14:37 PM
FYI, for a defense purpose knife, you'd want a fixed blade (ideal, though less socially acceptable for other uses) or something that is easy one-hand opening, while being small enough that it can be concealed within a closed fist.

This allows you to draw it (while it is still closed) and have it in your hand without the assailant knowing about it. You can then open it when they are in striking distance. You can usually just throw your shoulder into their body which puts you too close for them to do any dodging. A push of the button and the blade is out with an unguarded stomach in easy range.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 7:39:24 AM
At 8/14/2014 5:47:06 AM, XLAV wrote:
Go with the mace. Spikey blunt weapons will make them think twice before attacking you.

+3
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 11:09:30 AM
And why?

Mace 100%

Because you can utilize it from a distance.

It's non lethal. Highly effective.

Cheap and can be quickly accessed.

With a knife and gun you can easily panic and start freaking out. You most likely wouldn't use either unless you're in a life threatening situation.

Mace can be sprayed when some buttface is following you or pushing you.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 11:23:40 AM
Thank you everyone for your feedback, mace seems to be the dominant choice, however I'm broke so I can't get it, soooo for On my way! I will have to remain with what I do have, pocket knife. It's not easy to open, but I can manage. I'm pretty quick my hands. Well quick reflux that is.
"Good Times" ~ Max
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 3:28:28 PM
At 8/13/2014 9:30:32 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
And why?

A little sadistic when I get pissed & masochistic. ;)
Psychopathic thoughts often but I may not ever act on them.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 3:31:00 PM
At 8/14/2014 3:28:28 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
And why?

0.0 and I thought I was the violent one LOL jk
"Good Times" ~ Max
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 3:31:55 PM
At 8/14/2014 3:31:00 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
And why?

The day you're violent, I'll allow JMK to flirt with my love.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 3:35:32 PM
At 8/14/2014 3:31:55 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 8/14/2014 3:31:00 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
And why?

The day you're violent, I'll allow JMK to flirt with my love.

LOL, I can be violent. Just choose not to. Violence doesn't solve anything.
I used to throw shoes, punch the walls, break things. Sooo ehh, I've had my share of violence, but I also think that came with what I saw growing up. I don't do that anymore though.
"Good Times" ~ Max
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 6:03:00 PM
And why?

I have a better alternative.. Martial Arts like I know.