Jump to topic:

Death of a dog.

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 5:04:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So in a couple days, my grandmother is putting down her border collie mix for hip/spine problems. We had him for 10+/- years and he was not a pup when we got him. He was already 3-4 years old lying in the alley with flies on him when we found him.

My question to the DDO body is:

What is the fastest way to get over a death in the family?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 5:09:28 PM
Bump No.1
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 5:11:39 PM
At 8/24/2014 5:09:28 PM, SamStevens wrote:
Bump No.1

Sorry about your dog. Honestly, getting over any family is never easy. Just spend the time with your family and comfort one another and just think about all the fun you had. :)
It'll be okay. At least he/she won't be in pain anymore.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 5:18:57 PM
At 8/24/2014 5:11:39 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Bump No.1

Sorry about your dog. Honestly, getting over any family is never easy. Just spend the time with your family and comfort one another and just think about all the fun you had. :)

Thank you for the advice.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 5:19:31 PM
At 8/24/2014 5:18:57 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/24/2014 5:11:39 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Bump No.1

Thank you for the advice.

No problem, hope you feel better. :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 9:27:38 PM
At 8/24/2014 5:04:45 PM, SamStevens wrote:
So in a couple days, my grandmother is putting down her border collie mix for hip/spine problems. We had him for 10+/- years and he was not a pup when we got him. He was already 3-4 years old lying in the alley with flies on him when we found him.

Couple months ago, we lost our Cocker Spaniel of 10+ years and this black cat we've kept for about 9 years. And to be honest our family has never had a big problem with the loss of pets. We're quiet for a day and then we just move on.

It's a natural thing. My Cockerspaniel within 3 months had a huge mouth tumor and had lost 75% of her sight and couldn't eat without chewing up her tumor which bled endlessly.

So when our pets are sick like that we just go and put them down and its more of a relief than sadness
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 9:46:35 PM
At 8/24/2014 9:27:38 PM, Dennybug wrote:

Couple months ago, we lost our Cocker Spaniel of 10+ years and this black cat we've kept for about 9 years. And to be honest our family has never had a big problem with the loss of pets. We're quiet for a day and then we just move on.

It's a natural thing. My Cockerspaniel within 3 months had a huge mouth tumor and had lost 75% of her sight and couldn't eat without chewing up her tumor which bled endlessly.

That reminds me of my guinea pig that my family had to put to sleep last January 10th. Her lymph nodes were swollen, one leg was immobile, and she was bloated.

So when our pets are sick like that we just go and put them down and its more of a relief than sadness

That is true.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 9:51:23 PM
At 8/24/2014 9:37:07 PM, XLAV wrote:
RIP Dog

He will become a stiff on the ground/operation table in a few days.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 3:47:38 AM

Don't try to get I've that. Just live in the feeling until you feel like moving past it.

It's better to hurt than not feel anything at all.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 4:16:39 AM

We had to have our 14-year old Beagle cross put down just after Xmas. We buried him in our backyard. There is no way to speed up the time until the feeling of loss passes. Even today I still have the occasional anxiety dream where I worry that I haven't fed him for days.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 4:01:12 PM
At 8/25/2014 7:50:01 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
That's not good.

No it is not. He croaked today.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 4:02:46 PM
At 8/25/2014 7:50:01 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
That's not good.

He will be burnt a crisp.
TheLastMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:08:22 AM

Get a new dog.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 3:06:36 PM

I'm facing a similar issue with my own childhood dog. She's an Australian Shepherd and her hips are causing some serious mobility issues. The saddest, yet most respectable part is that she refuses to give up. We will walk her and notice that she's hopping on one leg, and yet she still has the biggest smile on her face. We've done the surgeries previously so this is probably it for her. It's hard man. I fvcking love that dog - she used to ride with me in my go-kart, kept me company on my hikes, and is just an all around beautiful creature.

I will now say that I've cried about it. I mean, the thought of losing her really upsets me. She was such a big part of my youth and even now I find myself tearing up as I type this. What helps me though, is to remind myself that she's lived a long, good life. She has had all the wild squirrels a dog could dream of catching, she got to experience motherhood and had a best friend within all of us since the day we got her, all in all she's led a proper life for a dog. When I think about that, it helps me alot. I have to remind myself that death is just a natural phenomenon of this world and that although I know I'm gonna miss her dearly, I also know she had the best life we could provide for her.

It's going to be hard when she passes on. I'll most likely shed some tears and ponder death myself, but at the same time - I'm grateful for having her in my life. She was the best dog a boy could ask for, and I was blessed to have her by my side while I did. I'm not at the point yet where I can own a dog of my own, but once I get the property space for one, it's gonna be because of her that I know to appreciate every day I have with my new pup. I think the best part of it all is that I know that every-time I'll think about her, it'll bring me a smile. She lived a good, long life. I can't ask for anything more than that.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 3:20:16 PM
At 8/26/2014 3:06:36 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I'm facing a similar issue with my own childhood dog. She's an Australian Shepherd and her hips are causing some serious mobility issues. The saddest, yet most respectable part is that she refuses to give up. We will walk her and notice that she's hopping on one leg, and yet she still has the biggest smile on her face. We've done the surgeries previously so this is probably it for her. It's hard man. I fvcking love that dog - she used to ride with me in my go-kart, kept me company on my hikes, and is just an all around beautiful creature.

I will now say that I've cried about it. I mean, the thought of losing her really upsets me. She was such a big part of my youth and even now I find myself tearing up as I type this. What helps me though, is to remind myself that she's lived a long, good life. She has had all the wild squirrels a dog could dream of catching, she got to experience motherhood and had a best friend within all of us since the day we got her, all in all she's led a proper life for a dog. When I think about that, it helps me alot. I have to remind myself that death is just a natural phenomenon of this world and that although I know I'm gonna miss her dearly, I also know she had the best life we could provide for her.

It's going to be hard when she passes on. I'll most likely shed some tears and ponder death myself, but at the same time - I'm grateful for having her in my life. She was the best dog a boy could ask for, and I was blessed to have her by my side while I did. I'm not at the point yet where I can own a dog of my own, but once I get the property space for one, it's gonna be because of her that I know to appreciate every day I have with my new pup. I think the best part of it all is that I know that every-time I'll think about her, it'll bring me a smile. She lived a good, long life. I can't ask for anything more than that.

And now I realize I've completely gone on an emotional rant instead of answering how to deal with death -_-

It's nothing more than acceptance. I have accepted that death is a part of life. I personally don't really fear it because I won't even know that I'm dead. I fear the pain of a bloody death, but if I die in my sleep then what is there to fear? I am not a permanent being, I am aware that I came into thisworld and must also leave at some point. If someone views dying as a negative thing - then it's got to deal with perception of the phenomenon. That's why I am sharing my own - I have no fear of death itself, but only of missing out on the only thing I know (life). Having fear of something and accepting it is two different things though. I can fear a dark cave that I am in, yet still accept that I am in a dark cave. It's the same with death, I might fear it - but I do accept it as a part of this experience.

So how do you accept it? You must find your own way of making peace with it being a part of our experiences. Some people manage to do this by telling themselves that there is a Heaven waiting for them (Christians), others accept it by telling themselves that this life isn't the only one and that they will return via reincarnation (Buddhists). For me, I thought about life before birth. But I don't remember anything, include anything bad. So why should I fear death? For all I know, my post-life will simply be nothingness just as my pre-life was. This is how I've managed to accept it. I can do nothing more than share my own experiences, as I do not believe there is an objective answer. You must find your own answer, either from within or from exterior things, it's an intimate, personal challenge that every person should face.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:07:09 PM
At 8/26/2014 3:06:36 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Before he was put to sleep, his right back leg was very shaky.

That was deep. Hopefully she will pass peacefully and painlessly.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:07:46 PM
At 8/26/2014 3:17:23 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
I wouldn't be sad over the death of a dog.
A Cat, on the other hand...

What makes cats any better?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:09:26 PM
At 8/26/2014 11:05:56 AM, TheLastMan wrote:
He was a good man, I guess. RIP.

He was pretty good pooch. He has been my grandfather's companion since his two strokes and a heart attack in 2004.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:16:48 PM
At 8/26/2014 5:07:46 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Cats are awesome.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:28:44 PM
At 8/26/2014 6:16:48 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:07:46 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Cats are awesome.

Based on what criteria?