Jump to topic:

A clarification of my perspective on feminism

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 10:52:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is to all the people who doubt my sanity and think that I'm oppressed and enslaved to chauvinistic males.
This is all my opinion and interpretation of what I know of the Bible.

Not all women are subjected to all men. Wives are subjected only to their husbands, or if unmarried, their fathers. Women are created equal to men. But while they are equal, they have roles in complete different spheres.

Husbands have the role of protecting and providing for their families, and are responsible before God for their well being physically, emotionally, and spiritually. They also have been told many times to love their wives as themselves, and as Christ loves the church.

Women's role is mainly a supporting one. A wife is called to support and help her husband. She is called to submit to him, not necessarily obey him, but let him be the one to make the final decision. She is allowed to give input and advice, but the husband calls the shots.

I think that wives' main focus should be the home, but she is not imprisoned there. Many women have side jobs to help her husband support the family. For years, my mom taught SAT English to teenagers in addition to homeschooling my brother and I.

My personal preference is not to go to college, and not get a job. But since I'm not married yet, and I can't live in my parent's house forever, even though I am welcome here, I'm going to do an online college, and I have accepted a job offer.

I hope this has helped clear up some confusion from yesterday.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 2:10:33 PM
At 8/27/2014 10:52:16 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
Women's role is mainly a supporting one. A wife is called to support and help her husband. She is called to submit to him, not necessarily obey him, but let him be the one to make the final decision. She is allowed to give input and advice, but the husband calls the shots.

You said she doesn't necessarily have to obey him but he calls the shots, while she is 'allowed' to give input and advice.

Can you explain these please?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 2:31:41 PM
At 8/27/2014 2:10:33 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

You said she doesn't necessarily have to obey him but he calls the shots, while she is 'allowed' to give input and advice.

Can you explain these please?

The best analogy I can think of is like in a car. My mom navigates, and dad drives. Mom tells him his options, and helps him make a decision, but Dad is the one who ultimately decides which way to go. Make sense? It's a team effort, but the husband is the leader.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 3:49:42 PM
This is to all the people who doubt my sanity and think that I'm oppressed and enslaved to chauvinistic males.

Not all women are subjected to all men. Wives are subjected only to their husbands, or if unmarried, their fathers. Women are created equal to men. But while they are equal, they have roles in complete different spheres.

Husbands have the role of protecting and providing for their families, and are responsible before God for their well being physically, emotionally, and spiritually. They also have been told many times to love their wives as themselves, and as Christ loves the church.

I think that wives' main focus should be the home, but she is not imprisoned there. Many women have side jobs to help her husband support the family. For years, my mom taught SAT English to teenagers in addition to homeschooling my brother and I.

My personal preference is not to go to college, and not get a job. But since I'm not married yet, and I can't live in my parent's house forever, even though I am welcome here, I'm going to do an online college, and I have accepted a job offer.

I don't think you are insane, I think you love being submissive, you are unable to lead because you have little personality and initiative, and you are also not productive at all. In summary, and with all due respect, I think you are cheap excuse of an adult, but if you enjoy being a little girl, then keep it up!
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 3:50:45 PM
At 8/27/2014 3:49:42 PM, Otokage wrote:

I don't think you are insane, I think you love being submissive, you are unable to lead because you have little personality and initiative, and you are also not productive at all. In summary, and with all due respect, I think you are cheap excuse of an adult, but if you enjoy being a little girl, then keep it up!

This just shows how little you know me!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 3:51:56 PM
At 8/27/2014 3:50:45 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Of course I don't know you baby. I'm just speaking from the little I read from you.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 3:55:19 PM
At 8/27/2014 3:51:56 PM, Otokage wrote:

Of course I don't know you baby. I'm just speaking from the little I read from you.

-.- Pleas don't talk down to me. You are entitled to you opinion, but only my dad calls me "baby."

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 3:56:25 PM
At 8/27/2014 3:55:19 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

-.- Pleas don't talk down to me. You are entitled to you opinion, but only my dad calls me "baby."

Awww... But of course sweetie!!

Just kiddin :)
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 4:38:50 PM

a few questions....

What's your view on families in which the wife makes the majority of money / supports the family? Would such a wife go to hell?

Does every woman have the obligation to procreate and make a family? If she does not, would she go to hell?

What's your stance on birth control?

If a women is unmarried, is she obligated to support her father for the rest of her life? Can she simply support herself?

What about instances with abusive husbands and fathers?

What do you think about women in the church? Could a women be a priest?

What happens if a wife puts her interests above her husband's? Is that a sin?

Sorry if that seems like a ton of questions... I want to say that I do respect your right to have an opinion, though I strongly disagree with your beliefs. If you would rather answere these questions in a PM, that's fine. I'll be looking forward to your response.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 4:54:52 PM
At 8/27/2014 3:56:25 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/27/2014 3:55:19 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Awww... But of course sweetie!!

Just kiddin :)
Hmmmm.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 4:59:50 PM
At 8/27/2014 4:38:50 PM, debatability wrote:

a few questions....

What's your view on families in which the wife makes the majority of money / supports the family? Would such a wife go to hell?

Definitely not!

Does every woman have the obligation to procreate and make a family? If she does not, would she go to hell?
Nope.

What's your stance on birth control?
I don't like it, but it's up to everyone's personal decision between them and God.

If a women is unmarried, is she obligated to support her father for the rest of her life? Can she simply support herself?
She can definitely support herself if she wants.

What about instances with abusive husbands and fathers?
Then it does not stand.

What do you think about women in the church? Could a women be a priest?
I'm not really in favor of it, but I don't judge women who do.

What happens if a wife puts her interests above her husband's? Is that a sin?
I don't think so.

Sorry if that seems like a ton of questions... I want to say that I do respect your right to have an opinion, though I strongly disagree with your beliefs.
That's fine. I'll do my best to respond well.

If you would rather answere these questions in a PM, that's fine. I'll be looking forward to your response.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 5:01:08 PM
At 8/27/2014 4:59:50 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

thanks for the clarification. your beliefs seem a lot less extreme now.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 5:06:24 PM
At 8/27/2014 5:01:08 PM, debatability wrote:

You're welcome. It's been great to meet you!

People just have a hard time understanding what I mean because I'm still practicing communication, and it's a rather sticky topic. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 6:26:55 PM
At 8/27/2014 5:06:24 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

People just have a hard time understanding what I mean because I'm still practicing communication, and it's a rather sticky topic. :)

Unlike with debatability, I don't see you as "less extreme" know, but as self-incoherent. It was clear her questions arised from what you said in the first post, then you answered her with practically the opposite view. That doesn't mean you have a problem communicating, it means you have a problem defining your values, just like a teenager. Are you a teenager?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 6:46:00 PM
I'm not surprised so many liberals/feminists on here are intolerant of how some people want to structure their marriage.

"Redefine marriage? Of course, and you must support and respect it too! Respect people who structure their marriage in a way liberals/feminists don't like? How dare you suggest I must respect that!"
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:01:43 PM

So if the husband is the one to make a final decision, what happens if the husband wants to put their kids up for adoption, sell their house and live on the streets, or get rid of a family pet? The women can't take action against these things since the man has the final decision, she can only offer her advice/wishes.

What happens if the husband wants to have a polygamous relationship with several other women? The women should give him the final decision, and if he wants a polygamous relationship, she can't stop him.

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:10:52 PM
At 8/27/2014 6:26:55 PM, Otokage wrote:

Unlike with debatability, I don't see you as "less extreme" know, but as self-incoherent. It was clear her questions arised from what you said in the first post, then you answered her with practically the opposite view. That doesn't mean you have a problem communicating, it means you have a problem defining your values, just like a teenager. Are you a teenager?

What does my age matter? But since you must know, I'll be 18 before Thanksgiving.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:13:19 PM
At 8/27/2014 7:01:43 PM, SamStevens wrote:

So if the husband is the one to make a final decision, what happens if the husband wants to put their kids up for adoption, sell their house and live on the streets, or get rid of a family pet? The women can't take action against these things since the man has the final decision, she can only offer her advice/wishes.

What happens if the husband wants to have a polygamous relationship with several other women? The women should give him the final decision, and if he wants a polygamous relationship, she can't stop him.

You are forgetting the part that men have a responsibility to love their wives as much as they love their own bodies, and as Christ loves the church. This command balances the command to wives.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:18:09 PM
At 8/27/2014 7:13:19 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

You are forgetting the part that men have a responsibility to love their wives as much as they love their own bodies, and as Christ loves the church. This command balances the command to wives.

Yes, but if a man loves his wife, as much as he does his own body, he could still carry out a polygamous, as long as he loves his wife as much as he does his own body despite what the wife has to say.

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:27:04 PM
At 8/27/2014 7:18:09 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Yes, but if a man loves his wife, as much as he does his own body, he could still carry out a polygamous, as long as he loves his wife as much as he does his own body despite what the wife has to say.

No, if he loved her as Christ loves the church (which is also called for) he wouldn't do that.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:28:23 PM
At 8/27/2014 7:27:04 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

No, if he loved her as Christ loves the church (which is also called for) he wouldn't do that.

Case closed.
---

So if he has the final decision, he can choose to send their kids up for adoption?

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:36:38 PM
At 8/27/2014 7:28:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Case closed.
---

So if he has the final decision, he can choose to send their kids up for adoption?
Again, if he loved his family as God tells him to do, he would never do that.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:38:40 PM
At 8/27/2014 7:36:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 8/27/2014 7:28:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Case closed.
---

Again, if he loved his family as God tells him to do, he would never do that.

You have proven your case.

Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 4:08:55 AM
At 8/27/2014 7:10:52 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

What does my age matter? But since you must know, I'll be 18 before Thanksgiving.

It matters because teenagers rarely have self-consistent values. They are a mess at being coherent with their own ideas as you have demonstrated yourself. They also tend to think little for themselves and are moved by the community feel of religious / cult groups, and thus are extremely susceptible to change their values R03;R03;overnight.

All this is perfectly normal, since teenagers are growing not only physically, but also mentally. Maybe when you grow up, you will realize that what you believe about women is pretty terrible.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 9:21:23 AM
At 8/28/2014 4:08:55 AM, Otokage wrote:

It matters because teenagers rarely have self-consistent values. They are a mess at being coherent with their own ideas as you have demonstrated yourself. They also tend to think little for themselves and are moved by the community feel of religious / cult groups, and thus are extremely susceptible to change their values R03;R03;overnight.

All this is perfectly normal, since teenagers are growing not only physically, but also mentally. Maybe when you grow up, you will realize that what you believe about women is pretty terrible.

Sir, according to your profile, you are only 25 yourself. You also do not know me well enough to see whether I do think through things for myself. If you met me in person, I doubt you would talk to me in the tone you use because I may be young, but I'm not stupid.

I would appreciate it if you would talk to me with the same type of respect that you would have wanted at my age. You are only showing your own immaturity by treating me like a child. I have had good, meaningful discussions with adults ever since I can remember. I'm perfectly willing to do so with you. But, please do not talk down to me.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 9:29:35 AM
At 8/28/2014 9:21:23 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Sir, according to your profile, you are only 25 yourself. You also do not know me well enough to see whether I do think through things for myself. If you met me in person, I doubt you would talk to me in the tone you use because I may be young, but I'm not stupid.

I would appreciate it if you would talk to me with the same type of respect that you would have wanted at my age. You are only showing your own immaturity by treating me like a child. I have had good, meaningful discussions with adults ever since I can remember. I'm perfectly willing to do so with you. But, please do not talk down to me.

I'm not talking down on you, and 25 year old people are not teenagers, since "teen" is a key part of the word "teenager". I do not doubt your ability to mantain a serious discussion, I doubt your ability to know what you want. You have shown inconsistency in your ideas, and I was just pointing out that this may be because you are still a teenager and thus you are still forming your ideas, which should be clear once you become an adult a few years from now.

Teenagers are generally eager to change opinions overnight and inconsistent with their own values. This is not said by me, but by Piaget, Vygotsky, and pretty much every psychologist dedicated to study the mind of teenagers.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 9:48:43 AM
At 8/28/2014 9:29:35 AM, Otokage wrote:

I'm not talking down on you, and 25 year old people are not teenagers, since "teen" is a key part of the word "teenager". I do not doubt your ability to mantain a serious discussion, I doubt your ability to know what you want. You have shown inconsistency in your ideas, and I was just pointing out that this may be because you are still a teenager and thus you are still forming your ideas, which should be clear once you become an adult a few years from now.

Maybe you misunderstood my argument.

Teenagers are generally eager to change opinions overnight and inconsistent with their own values. This is not said by me, but by Piaget, Vygotsky, and pretty much every psychologist dedicated to study the mind of teenagers.

How about you ask Christian Punk, Bsh1, reece, and others if I easily change my opinions on the Bible? They should know.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:11:57 AM

it's up to everyone's personal decision between them and God.

What does this mean?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:28:49 AM
At 8/28/2014 9:48:43 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

How about you ask Christian Punk, Bsh1, reece, and others if I easily change my opinions on the Bible? They should know.

What opinions, for example?
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:42:51 AM
At 8/28/2014 10:28:49 AM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/28/2014 9:48:43 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

What opinions, for example?
Homosexuality, and general belief in the Bible.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam