Jump to topic:

Issue with my cats? Any advice?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 5:01:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Please, no trolling, as this saddens me greatly.

I have two cats: Cat H and Cat O.

Recently, Cat O was showing signs of distress and we spent a great part of the day at the vet. The next day, things weren't better, so we took her to the ER clinic, where we were gone most of the day again. However, she need surgery and stayed there for two days.

Upon coming home, and ever since, Cat H has been too territorial. If Cat O comes within 20 ft of Cat H, she will hiss, and Cat O backs down. If Cat H comes within 20 ft of Cat O, she is fine, sine it's her choice to go there.

The reason this is so said is they are sisters, and were the entire litter. Further, they are about nine years old.

This has been going on for almost two months, with no sign of stopping, and I am almost afraid Cat H will actually hurt Cat O, except Cat H is very much a scaredy-cat, and would likely run away, as she does when I enter a room.

Any advice to get Cat H to get along with Cat O?
Cat O seems sad and confused every time it happens.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 7:13:54 PM
1) What was the issue with Cat O?

2) This is only a semi-educated guess, but it would probably have to do with Cat H not recognizing the scent of Cat O, not to mention I am presuming that Cat O has a cone of shame on which makes him/her visually different.

3) Ask the vet or doctor if they have an idea.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 9:31:48 PM
Lock them in a room together until they sort their shiit out. Put in two bowls of food and a litter box; they may be there a while. Also put two cat beds right next to each other. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't kill each other. Cuddle them both at the same time.

Cat H is probably just being a jerk, and needs to get over herself. If the method I outlined doesn't work, then there is probably some other factor that you need to address.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 11:02:40 AM
At 8/30/2014 7:13:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
1) What was the issue with Cat O?
Tied intestinal track due to hairball (human hair maybe), removed some 40% of intestines.

2) This is only a semi-educated guess, but it would probably have to do with Cat H not recognizing the scent of Cat O, not to mention I am presuming that Cat O has a cone of shame on which makes him/her visually different.
No cone, just stitches. She is back to her old self....just more whiny, but could be loneliness/coldness, they used to sleep together. There are two cat beds on my wife's bed, and they all used to sleep together, but now they don't.

We thought scent, so for the check up visit, we brought both cats there.
Also, my wife rubbed a sock over Cat O, then Cat H.
I'm pretty sure she has given both cats a bath since, too, but maybe not.

3) Ask the vet or doctor if they have an idea.

Tried and nothing has worked.
I think Cat H is just a b!tch, and always has been. She leaves the room when I enter.
I think she enjoyed all the attention and having the house to her self for those few days, and doesn't want to share it again.
However, they did shave Cat O's legs (looks kind of like a poodle's pumps....it's so cute) and stomach, so maybe it is appearance.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 11:10:57 AM
At 8/30/2014 9:31:48 PM, apb4y wrote:
Lock them in a room together until they sort their shiit out. Put in two bowls of food and a litter box; they may be there a while.
Maybe. I thought about that, or even just putting them both in a kennel, so their scents will mingle.
My concern is that either could kill the other if the space isn't given. Cat O is the hunter/adventurer, so she often plays to rough for Cat H, so O should win a fight, but Cat H is so timid, who knows what she'll do...
Who knows....maybe Cat H never liked Cat O all that much, and only tolerated her, but know the scent is too much.

Also put two cat beds right next to each other. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't kill each other. Cuddle them both at the same time.
Tried that.
Numerous times both cats will be on the bed together with the wife and in very close proximity. But, if Cat H is there first and Cat O jumps on the bed, she is hissed at, and goes under the bed or leaves.

Cat H is probably just being a jerk, and needs to get over herself. If the method I outlined doesn't work, then there is probably some other factor that you need to address.
Cat H is a jerk.
She loves my wife, despises me. If I enter the room (literally the room, not near here, the room), she perks up and is ready to bolt. If I take two step towards her direction, she bolts. Hears a crash, she bolts. Too timid, too b!tchy.
It's odd, too, since they grew up with dogs for a few years at her parents house.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:11:20 PM
The other cat senses the other cats weakness and illness. This is normal behavior in animals because distance is the only defense against disease. Animals in the wild will be banned from packs or herds in the wild if they show signs of disease or weakness. It is unlikely anything can be done other than to keep them separated
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:12:59 PM
At 8/31/2014 2:11:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
The other cat senses the other cats weakness and illness. This is normal behavior in animals because distance is the only defense against disease. Animals in the wild will be banned from packs or herds in the wild if they show signs of disease or weakness. It is unlikely anything can be done other than to keep them separated

Forcing the other cat to be around the weak cat will only stress out the healthy cat.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 4:12:30 PM
At 8/31/2014 2:12:59 PM, sadolite wrote:

Forcing the other cat to be around the weak cat will only stress out the healthy cat.

The cat isn't ill, it had surgery, and is back to its crazy self, whipping around the house, doing back flips, and all the stuff it used to.
Do you think the scar or stitches have anything to do with it? I'm not sure if the stitches are still there, the cat isn't a cuddler and the fur has grown back.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 4:38:42 PM
At 8/31/2014 4:12:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

The cat isn't ill, it had surgery, and is back to its crazy self, whipping around the house, doing back flips, and all the stuff it used to.
Do you think the scar or stitches have anything to do with it? I'm not sure if the stitches are still there, the cat isn't a cuddler and the fur has grown back.

HMM I have owned lots of ncats over the years and I can tell you one thing, they are quirky animals and their personalities can change over night. The mere fact that the other cat disappeared for a couple of days could have traumatized the other cat. Who freakin knows. But I can tell you that if two cats are not getting along, forcing them to be together is not the answer. I wish you luck with your pets. Pets are kids that never grow up.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 4:59:57 PM

Just caught up with this convo. I am a cat owner of a mother/son pair. The mother is about 5 and the son is about 2 and a half. A year ago, they started having the territory/dominance fights because the son was realizing that he was bigger than his mother and stronger. I should also mention they were both fixed at this point.

I tried the whole locking them in a room thing. Oddly, nothing happened. They'd fight like hell in open rooms but once I locked them in my bedroom together I didn't hear anything - they had just gone to opposite corners and were having a stare-off. I decided against locking them in a cage together - mostly because I didn't have one aside from a travel bag that wouldn't even fit them both.

Then one night after about 3 weeks of annoying, nightly fighting and growling and hissing I had had enough. I jumped up and started screaming at the top of my lungs at both of them. It scared the mother cat into my bedroom, and the son into my roommates bedroom. I then went into each room and literally talked with them. I know... it sounds crazy as hell, but I really did talk to each of them. I told the son that he is obviously the dominant one and asked him to please stop attacking his mom, then I told the mother cat to stop acting like she can keep up with her son, and to stop provoking him (because she would - like literally come outta nowhere and jump on him).

I dunno if they had a final brawl the next day while I was out or what, but I swear on everything I value that those cats have not had a serious territorial fight since that night. The son is the dominant one, and has taken my room as his own. The mother has taken my roommates rooms as her own, and they both sleep in the common areas of the house as if equals. Sure, they'll still have little fights here and there, but nothing like the screaming/growling/brawls they had for territory/dominance fights.

I also don't think either are capable of actually killing the other. I mean that literally, I've even pulled the mother's claw once from the son's neck after it broke off and he wasn't phased in the slightest. So, while I'm not saying that having a talk with them will really work - it seemed to work for me and I've yet to have any serious issues with their fights since as they are now nothing more than 2 min long wrestling matches instead of all-out brawls.

Either that or shout your lungs out at them everytime they do it. Maybe that's what stopped them and I just don't see it that way. Regardless, that's how I did it for my cats, and it worked for us extremely well, lol.

Best of luck!! I can totally empathize with how tiring this experience has been for you. Hopefully it won't last too much longer for you.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 7:07:56 AM
At 8/31/2014 4:59:57 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Just caught up with this convo. I am a cat owner of a mother/son pair. The mother is about 5 and the son is about 2 and a half. A year ago, they started having the territory/dominance fights because the son was realizing that he was bigger than his mother and stronger. I should also mention they were both fixed at this point.

I tried the whole locking them in a room thing. Oddly, nothing happened. They'd fight like hell in open rooms but once I locked them in my bedroom together I didn't hear anything - they had just gone to opposite corners and were having a stare-off. I decided against locking them in a cage together - mostly because I didn't have one aside from a travel bag that wouldn't even fit them both.

Then one night after about 3 weeks of annoying, nightly fighting and growling and hissing I had had enough. I jumped up and started screaming at the top of my lungs at both of them. It scared the mother cat into my bedroom, and the son into my roommates bedroom. I then went into each room and literally talked with them. I know... it sounds crazy as hell, but I really did talk to each of them. I told the son that he is obviously the dominant one and asked him to please stop attacking his mom, then I told the mother cat to stop acting like she can keep up with her son, and to stop provoking him (because she would - like literally come outta nowhere and jump on him).

I dunno if they had a final brawl the next day while I was out or what, but I swear on everything I value that those cats have not had a serious territorial fight since that night. The son is the dominant one, and has taken my room as his own. The mother has taken my roommates rooms as her own, and they both sleep in the common areas of the house as if equals. Sure, they'll still have little fights here and there, but nothing like the screaming/growling/brawls they had for territory/dominance fights.

I also don't think either are capable of actually killing the other. I mean that literally, I've even pulled the mother's claw once from the son's neck after it broke off and he wasn't phased in the slightest. So, while I'm not saying that having a talk with them will really work - it seemed to work for me and I've yet to have any serious issues with their fights since as they are now nothing more than 2 min long wrestling matches instead of all-out brawls.

Either that or shout your lungs out at them everytime they do it. Maybe that's what stopped them and I just don't see it that way. Regardless, that's how I did it for my cats, and it worked for us extremely well, lol.

Best of luck!! I can totally empathize with how tiring this experience has been for you. Hopefully it won't last too much longer for you.

Believe me, I've tried talking and yelling at them.
Thanks.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 7:08:43 AM
At 8/31/2014 4:38:42 PM, sadolite wrote:

HMM I have owned lots of ncats over the years and I can tell you one thing, they are quirky animals and their personalities can change over night. The mere fact that the other cat disappeared for a couple of days could have traumatized the other cat. Who freakin knows. But I can tell you that if two cats are not getting along, forcing them to be together is not the answer. I wish you luck with your pets. Pets are kids that never grow up.

Thanks.
I won't do that.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 2:35:04 AM
Best possible solutions, keep the 2 seperated and every day spend an hour with both of them together in a room. also pet cat H, then quickly pet cat O with the same hand, like trying to mix the scents of the two together, also brushing both with the same brush without cleaning it works as well. this should take a few weeks, and they both will get over it.
if this does NOT work I suggest getting both spayed, unless they are already. and as a last resort, catnip in the same room, just make sure your always with them.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 2:37:40 AM
if nothing still works, invest in a small effective squirt bottle, and if one cat acts up, a short spray will tell them no quickly.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Publicaccount
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 11:27:38 PM
I have cats who hate each other. I can't give any long term suggestions as we're still working out our issue and have no idea where to turn but I for now you should put them put them in different sections of the house. Let them out to be together to feed them. Put there food close together so they have to be near each other if they want to eat. Slowly let them into the same sections of the house for chunks of time. You don't have to be watching them every second when you let them roam the house together but don't do it when there is no one home or awake to notice a fight.

This is what we did with our cats. They still fight but not as much. Plus you cats seem to fight a lot less then our cats used to (And sometimes still do).
Publicaccount
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 11:41:22 PM
At 8/31/2014 4:59:57 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Talking to your cats isn't crazy. My cat got brainwashed into becoming a bloodthirsty killer. He used to be bullied by my other cat. Nothing major. But then someone had to spend three hours telling him to stand up for himself. Next night he wasn't fighting for territory or for dominance. He was fighting to the DEATH with my other cat. We had to lock him into the upstairs for THREE YEARS! They still fight now but not as badly. So I no the power of talking to pets. It's scary what it can do. After all that's all it took for my cat to go from a timid sweet animal to a bloodthirsty killer (To our other cat that is. He never stopped being sweet to humans. Unless we got in the way of his harming the other cat.)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:18:22 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:09:00 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Adam & Eve syndrome in cats!!!! Cat H thought it was special for a moment, then BAM: Cat O.

Learn to read....
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:19:35 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:18:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Adam & Eve syndrome in cats!!!! Cat H thought it was special for a moment, then BAM: Cat O.

Learn to read....

Yeah, I was thinking about Adam & Eve syndrome reading that dumb post in politics too...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:21:17 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:19:35 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Learn to read....

Yeah, I was thinking about Adam & Eve syndrome reading that dumb post in politics too...

Dare I ask what this syndrome is?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:22:11 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:21:17 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Learn to read....

Dude... I'm pretty sure you know...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:23:07 PM
At 9/4/2014 2:35:04 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
Best possible solutions, keep the 2 seperated and every day spend an hour with both of them together in a room. also pet cat H, then quickly pet cat O with the same hand, like trying to mix the scents of the two together, also brushing both with the same brush without cleaning it works as well. this should take a few weeks, and they both will get over it.
if this does NOT work I suggest getting both spayed, unless they are already. and as a last resort, catnip in the same room, just make sure your always with them.

Thanks, but we've tried all that.
My wife gave them both a bath last night, so we'll see if that makes it better.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:23:22 PM
Sorry about your cats btw. My cat died recently and it was awful (really awful - died as a result of a injury from fighting).
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:23:49 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:22:11 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Learn to read....

Define it please.
Maybe I know it as something else.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:24:49 PM
At 9/8/2014 11:27:38 PM, Publicaccount wrote:
I have cats who hate each other. I can't give any long term suggestions as we're still working out our issue and have no idea where to turn but I for now you should put them put them in different sections of the house. Let them out to be together to feed them. Put there food close together so they have to be near each other if they want to eat. Slowly let them into the same sections of the house for chunks of time. You don't have to be watching them every second when you let them roam the house together but don't do it when there is no one home or awake to notice a fight.

This is what we did with our cats. They still fight but not as much. Plus you cats seem to fight a lot less then our cats used to (And sometimes still do).

The issue is the hate is one-sided, and only after she returned home.
Cats don't just hate another cat after nine years.
Thanks for the advice, though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:25:31 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:23:49 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Learn to read....

Define it please.

Fear of the other or something, anthropologists refer to it as. Weird how you kicked from posting in that thread in politics to my post about it. It had just floated to the top of my mind. Oh...maybe cats invading or something? Sorry about your cats dude, lol (and sorry for laughing, but your thought processes are funnily correct)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:27:22 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:25:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Learn to read....

Define it please.

Fear of the other or something, anthropologists refer to it as. Weird how you kicked from posting in that thread in politics to my post about it. It had just floated to the top of my mind. Oh...maybe cats invading or something? Sorry about your cats dude, lol (and sorry for laughing, but your thought processes are funnily correct)

I don't know what other forum you are talking about, so I can't comment.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 12:30:21 PM
At 9/10/2014 12:27:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 9/10/2014 12:25:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Learn to read....

Define it please.

I don't know what other forum you are talking about, so I can't comment.

http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 1:33:13 AM
At 8/30/2014 5:01:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Please, no trolling, as this saddens me greatly.

I have two cats: Cat H and Cat O.

Recently, Cat O was showing signs of distress and we spent a great part of the day at the vet. The next day, things weren't better, so we took her to the ER clinic, where we were gone most of the day again. However, she need surgery and stayed there for two days.

Upon coming home, and ever since, Cat H has been too territorial. If Cat O comes within 20 ft of Cat H, she will hiss, and Cat O backs down. If Cat H comes within 20 ft of Cat O, she is fine, sine it's her choice to go there.

The reason this is so said is they are sisters, and were the entire litter. Further, they are about nine years old.

This has been going on for almost two months, with no sign of stopping, and I am almost afraid Cat H will actually hurt Cat O, except Cat H is very much a scaredy-cat, and would likely run away, as she does when I enter a room.

Any advice to get Cat H to get along with Cat O?
Cat O seems sad and confused every time it happens.

While your situation seems to be more advanced than mine, I can think of at least one product that has assisted a bit in how my two cats interact. Its a spray product called 'Feliway'. Its usually reserved for stress marking and urinary issues, however the desired result of the synthetic pheremone is a general 'destress' one. Basically, ya just spray the stuff in a few communal areas, on the carpet in some palces, furniture in others.

If products aren't your thing, (not sure if you tried this) cat psychology is another. Do they have active means of avoiding one another, getting around one another without hackles being raised (like in a hall way), does feeding time put them in close proximity, same thing with litter boxes.

Hope this helps.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...