Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Bullying

Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.

It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
debatability
Posts: 1,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 1:34:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

ok ok i'll type this up in the *correct* forum
I'm interested in what exactly you consider bullying. I consider bullying an instance where someone is continually being physically / verbally abused for no reason, without defending themselves. Well, the self defense part could be debated. Anyways, I think it would be hard to measure the effects of physical bullying because it's rare that a younger child would get solely physically abused without verbal insults as well. (for clarification, i'm not considering situations of child abuse to be bullying) Verbal bullying (and even cyberbullying) is a pretty serious thing and and it's effects are easy to measure, but when it comes to physical bullying, its harder to measure because of what I said earlier. Taking that into account, I think many people are in the dark when it comes to how harmful physical bullying actually is, and if it is actually worse than verbal bullying.
I've never been physically or verbally bullied, at least by my definition of bullying. I think everyone gets jokingly pushed or shoved from time to time or verbally insulted. It all depends on how you are defining bullying. Some of the stuff I did back in 6th or 7th grade could probably be considered verbal bullying to others, and I deeply regret my actions... but when it comes to physical bullying I'm in the dark.
What was this documentary you watched? I'd like to see it. Hopefully I can learn something new.
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 1:42:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://vimeo.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 1:47:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 1:34:10 AM, debatability wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

ok ok i'll type this up in the *correct* forum
I'm interested in what exactly you consider bullying. I consider bullying an instance where someone is continually being physically / verbally abused for no reason, without defending themselves. Well, the self defense part could be debated.
Agreed
Anyways, I think it would be hard to measure the effects of physical bullying because it's rare that a younger child would get solely physically abused without verbal insults as well. (for clarification, i'm not considering situations of child abuse to be bullying) Verbal bullying (and even cyberbullying) is a pretty serious thing and and it's effects are easy to measure, but when it comes to physical bullying, its harder to measure because of what I said earlier. Taking that into account, I think many people are in the dark when it comes to how harmful physical bullying actually is, and if it is actually worse than verbal bullying.
The documentary I share will clearly show you the effects of any kind of bullying as long as the victim beliefs he/she is the victim.
I've never been physically or verbally bullied, at least by my definition of bullying. I think everyone gets jokingly pushed or shoved from time to time or verbally insulted.
I disagree, true peace would not include any assault of any kind. If it's a joke, it's a one sided joke where only the jokester laughs. I debated this with Aerogant about whether insults can be morally justified and become just a 'joke'. I think he had a meltdown and deactivated his account afterwards.

It all depends on how you are defining bullying
Agreed.
L. Some of the stuff I did back in 6th or 7th grade could probably be considered verbal bullying to others, and I deeply regret my actions...
O

Was it similar to the sort of verbal bullying in the documentary? Not judging by the way, when I was in middle school I used to bully too. Now when I look back I see I was just young and unaware of the effects my actions have on people. It takes experience and time to mature of course.

but when it comes to physical bullying I'm in the dark.

Me too. But seeing this documentary makes me think it's more common than I presumed.

What was this documentary you watched? I'd like to see it. Hopefully I can learn something new.

Done. It's very very very interesting.

You get a first person look on kids getting bullied at school and the psychology of children in schools. A teaser? One kid suicides from bullying, one kid almost shoots someone because of bullying, and the other kid is bullied not only by kids but by teachers for homosexuality.

I highly recommend you to watch it.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
debatability
Posts: 1,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:43:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Ill watch that documentary and then get back to you; looks interesting.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:48:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

Do people who threat to cause physical harm to you go under bullying?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:48:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 8:43:24 AM, debatability wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Ill watch that documentary and then get back to you; looks interesting.

Enjoy!
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:49:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 8:48:31 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

Do people who threat to cause physical harm to you go under bullying?

It's debatable.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:55:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 8:49:38 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 8/31/2014 8:48:31 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

Do people who threat to cause physical harm to you go under bullying?

It's debatable.

Well, I was threatened to be punched in the face in 1st grade by an older girl because they thought I was spying on them, even though I was just running around the play lot and it was mere coincidence that I kept running into them( not physically running into into them, just like how you would run into someone you knew at a grocery store).
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:59:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 8:55:30 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/31/2014 8:49:38 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 8/31/2014 8:48:31 AM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

Do people who threat to cause physical harm to you go under bullying?

It's debatable.

Well, I was threatened to be punched in the face in 1st grade by an older girl because they thought I was spying on them, even though I was just running around the play lot and it was mere coincidence that I kept running into them( not physically running into into them, just like how you would run into someone you knew at a grocery store).

What a misunderstanding. Well If it is continuous and if those girls threatened you without reasonthan i suppose its bullying. It is also bullying if you felt like a victim in those moments.

Thank you for sharing! I appreciate it.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 10:21:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

When I was a little one. Surprisingly enough, my bullies are the ones who are flunking and can't get girls.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 4:34:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

Yes, once. Then I challenged him to a fight and won. Since then, I just fought every bully and even fought guys that bullied my friends but left me alone. It's called not being a b!tch and actually standing up for yourself.

Also, fight dirty if you are scared. There aren't any rules in the street. Kick out his knee-cap, it'll hopefully cause hyperextension and send him to the ground screaming. Punch him in the adam's apple causing him to choke on his own crushed windpipe. Elbow or headbutt his nose. The nose is an excellent target because as soon as you connect a punch or kick to it, your opponents' eyes start to water which hinders their ability to accurately see you. Totally gives you the advantage.

In my opinion, learning how to protect yourself is essential for any person to know.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:57:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 10:21:37 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

I've experienced lots of verbal bullying but never direct physical bullying. Just curious after watching this documentary.



It's horrendous. Enough to give me nightmares.

When I was a little one. Surprisingly enough, my bullies are the ones who are flunking and can't get girls.

Haha, that's what usually happens.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 6:35:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 4:34:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

Yes, once. Then I challenged him to a fight and won. Since then, I just fought every bully and even fought guys that bullied my friends but left me alone. It's called not being a b!tch and actually standing up for yourself.

Also, fight dirty if you are scared. There aren't any rules in the street. Kick out his knee-cap, it'll hopefully cause hyperextension and send him to the ground screaming. Punch him in the adam's apple causing him to choke on his own crushed windpipe. Elbow or headbutt his nose. The nose is an excellent target because as soon as you connect a punch or kick to it, your opponents' eyes start to water which hinders their ability to accurately see you. Totally gives you the advantage.

Lol, badassery right here.
In my opinion, learning how to protect yourself is essential for any person to know.
Yes that's why I learned Taekwondo and Muay Thai.

Btw. how would you deal with a situation like cyber bullying?
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 6:49:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I haven't really dealt with either, although i'm curious about defining bullying, as debatability said. Usually, at least when i was in high school, there was stuff that I thought was blatant bullying but the bullied person used to jus laugh with them. I still don't know if it was friends jabbing at each other, or the person coping my tryin not to make a big deal out of it.

The first step would be speaking out. Let people know you're being bullied. So I guess admitting (even to yourself) is the first part.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:09:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was bullied as a kid sometimes. I went to many different schools. Being the new kid all the time, they either loved me or hated me. But it was never physical.

I never stood up for myself because I didn't want to get in trouble. But on my last day at one of the schools, I knew it wouldn't matter. We were leaving the state soon. So when I got off the bus that day, he said something to me, I swung at him and yelled. And he dodged and sprinted home immediately. I chased after him. And when he got to his door where his mom was. I just waved and walked away. I was pretty pleased with myself.

I should've done it sooner.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:34:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 9:13:21 PM, apb4y wrote:
All kids should be bullied, to stop them from becoming faggy twats.

Sometimes, bullying creates people like me. Power hungry sociopaths.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:46:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 9:34:47 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:13:21 PM, apb4y wrote:
All kids should be bullied, to stop them from becoming faggy twats.

Sometimes, bullying creates people like me. Power hungry sociopaths.

I told you he was crazy...
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:55:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 9:46:20 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:34:47 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:13:21 PM, apb4y wrote:
All kids should be bullied, to stop them from becoming faggy twats.

Sometimes, bullying creates people like me. Power hungry sociopaths.

I told you he was crazy...
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 10:07:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 9:55:51 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:46:20 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:34:47 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:13:21 PM, apb4y wrote:
All kids should be bullied, to stop them from becoming faggy twats.

Sometimes, bullying creates people like me. Power hungry sociopaths.

I told you he was crazy...


http://i.imgur.com...
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 10:41:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 4:34:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:


Yes, once. Then I challenged him to a fight and won. Since then, I just fought every bully and even fought guys that bullied my friends but left me alone. It's called not being a b!tch and actually standing up for yourself.
Yeah, let's blame the victim here. After all, in inner city schools, there is absolutely NO RISK to fighting someone who could very well kill you.Jut because some kid in suburbia thought he was tough, doesn't mean everyone who backs down from a fight is a coward. Backing down from a fight that can get you killed, for no reason other than measuring your genital size, it's called sanity.


In my opinion, learning how to protect yourself is essential for any person to know.
People who are unable to defend themselves, tend to be the ones who get bullied the most.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 10:59:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 6:35:10 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 8/31/2014 4:34:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/31/2014 1:31:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Have you ever been bullied in your younger years? Physically bullied I mean?

Yes, once. Then I challenged him to a fight and won. Since then, I just fought every bully and even fought guys that bullied my friends but left me alone. It's called not being a b!tch and actually standing up for yourself.

Also, fight dirty if you are scared. There aren't any rules in the street. Kick out his knee-cap, it'll hopefully cause hyperextension and send him to the ground screaming. Punch him in the adam's apple causing him to choke on his own crushed windpipe. Elbow or headbutt his nose. The nose is an excellent target because as soon as you connect a punch or kick to it, your opponents' eyes start to water which hinders their ability to accurately see you. Totally gives you the advantage.

Lol, badassery right here.

In my opinion, learning how to protect yourself is essential for any person to know.
Yes that's why I learned Taekwondo and Muay Thai.

Btw. how would you deal with a situation like cyber bullying?

Well, I've never really been on the receiving end of that. I used to spend alot of time trolling Youtube comment sections and just never took cyber-bullying seriously. So what if some random person tells you to kill yourself, if you actually listened to them then you are weak anyways and probably wouldn't have served the gene pool any good. That's how I view it, they are nothing or no-one worth listening too in the first place. I would tell a child to keep in mind that they are random strangers who don't really know you and that therefore you really shouldn't place any value on the things they say. It's the equivalent of a stranger walking up to you on the sidewalk and bullying you - fvck them. Kick out their knee and steal their shoes.

If it's an adult, I would tell them they probably deserve to be bullied if they are weak enough to take a strangers opinion to heart. People say to ignore cyber-bullies, but just like in real life - I end up giving them their own medicine. He tells me to kill myself? I tell him how stank his mothers snatch was last night after I finished whoring her out to the local mexicans behind wallmart. I just play their game.

Most important is what I said earlier though - they are nothing more than strangers - so fvck em. I guess it just comes down to perception and the weight you give their words. It's not hard to ignore if you keep in mind that they are no-one of any value to your life. That's why I troll them back, because they are nothing to fear.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 11:17:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 10:41:56 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/31/2014 4:34:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:


Yes, once. Then I challenged him to a fight and won. Since then, I just fought every bully and even fought guys that bullied my friends but left me alone. It's called not being a b!tch and actually standing up for yourself.

Yeah, let's blame the victim here. After all, in inner city schools, there is absolutely NO RISK to fighting someone who could very well kill you.Jut because some kid in suburbia thought he was tough, doesn't mean everyone who backs down from a fight is a coward. Backing down from a fight that can get you killed, for no reason other than measuring your genital size, it's called sanity.

That's a response normally given by someone who doesn't stand up for themselves when it comes time to get physical. I went to a predominantly black high-school, we even had to start a dress-code my sophomore year due to the "gang colors" causing fights. Sure, the guys I stood up to could have had a pistol but usually the guys willing to throw fists aren't the ones who pull triggers, the trigger men are the ones who stand in the background silently.

If you view every fight as a chance of dying - you are most certainly a coward - no way around that one in my mind. If you teach yourself how to fight, or practice martial arts, even guns shouldn't be an issue. You would know techniques to disarm them immediately, especially if you are in a close-range situation like a fist-fight. You just need to defeat your own fear.

In my opinion, learning how to protect yourself is essential for any person to know.
People who are unable to defend themselves, tend to be the ones who get bullied the most.

How is someone able to determine if that person is unable to defend himself? By the impression given by their physical features correct? I was skinny as a twig in highschool, weighing 130 lbs when wet. So I was a common target, UNTIL I started fighting back. It's incredibly easy to improve yourself in fighting if you are getting first-hand experience. Did I win every fight? No. But if you ever got into a fight yourself (which I'm seriously doubting due to your cowardly response) you'd know that guys would respect you even for attempting to fight. That was also a pleasent surprise to me one time. I went to a kids house to fight him, he was hosting a party and everyone there was HIS friend. Anyways, we had a solid brawl. I caught him a few solids which knocked him to the ground, but he was a wrestler and was able to get on top of me while on the ground and knocked me a few solid ones in the back of my head which caused me to see white lights and nothing else. I had to call it, so I did. I said, "Alright I've had enough, you win." Guess what? Immediately all his boys surrounded me giving me props for showing up by myself. I ended that night with the kid who I fought as my beer-pong partner and to this day we are actually still good friends. Alot can come from a fight, but you wouldn't know that until you actually grow a pair and start standing up for yourself. (Not you specifically, when I say YOU I mean in the general sense of anyone who takes your position).
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 4:42:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/1/2014 11:17:32 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

That's a response normally given by someone who doesn't stand up for themselves when it comes time to get physical. I went to a predominantly black high-school, we even had to start a dress-code my sophomore year due to the "gang colors" causing fights. Sure, the guys I stood up to could have had a pistol but usually the guys willing to throw fists aren't the ones who pull triggers, the trigger men are the ones who stand in the background silently.
Really? And how many fights did you get into, and how do I know you aren't lying through your teeth? I don't where you get this information from, but when you assault someone from a gang, and they lose, they have few options left but to quit that gang or try to take you out again. Fights can turn lethal because one person got carried away even in suburban streets a block from the police station, let alone when the police may not even come for half an hour.

You anecdote doesn't really prove much of anything. For your there a thousand others who say the opposite, and it isn't very hard to find one. High schools are filed with youth that gang members get a lot of recruits from - even someone who isn't in a gang could carry a pocket knife or firearm.

If you view every fight as a chance of dying - you are most certainly a coward - no way around that one in my mind.
I'm not saying you should avoid something that can kill you simply because of that, I am saying doing something like that just to inflate you ego is idiotic.
If you teach yourself how to fight, or practice martial arts, even guns shouldn't be an issue.
Then you don't know what you're talking about. Most martial arts experts tell you, if you get mugged in the alleyway, your best defense is handing over your wallet. Even if you think you can take them, your life isn't worth your wallet.
You would know techniques to disarm them immediately, especially if you are in a close-range situation like a fist-fight. You just need to defeat your own fear.
And then what happens if you lose? You die in an alleyway over a pathetic feud.

How is someone able to determine if that person is unable to defend himself?
Physical stature, mostly, but even then people who are known to posses martial abilities get picked on less than others.
By the impression given by their physical features correct? I was skinny as a twig in highschool, weighing 130 lbs when wet. So I was a common target, UNTIL I started fighting back.
Doesn't really refute what I said, does it? You possessed martial ability, so they decided to pick on people who were easier targets.
It's incredibly easy to improve yourself in fighting if you are getting first-hand experience. Did I win every fight? No. But if you ever got into a fight yourself (which I'm seriously doubting due to your cowardly response)
Yes, I have, actually, but I suppose it is easier to decide I'm a coward to make yourself feel better.
you'd know that guys would respect you even for attempting to fight.
No one respected me for it.
That was also a pleasent surprise to me one time. I went to a kids house to fight him, he was hosting a party and everyone there was HIS friend. Anyways, we had a solid brawl. I caught him a few solids which knocked him to the ground, but he was a wrestler and was able to get on top of me while on the ground and knocked me a few solid ones in the back of my head which caused me to see white lights and nothing else. I had to call it, so I did. I said, "Alright I've had enough, you win." Guess what? Immediately all his boys surrounded me giving me props for showing up by myself.
Stop acting like your anecdote is proof of anything, for god's sake. I can easily go on the internet, anywhere, and find a story exactly like yours but with backs me up instead. Your anecdote is not proof of anything - all it does is support a localized example, nothing more.
I ended that night with the kid who I fought as my beer-pong partner and to this day we are actually still good friends. Alot can come from a fight, but you wouldn't know that until you actually grow a pair and start standing up for yourself. (Not you specifically, when I say YOU I mean in the general sense of anyone who takes your position).
Really? So the physical disabled are not deserving of respect? So those who do not think they can win a fight, and do not want to fight, are not deserving of respect? So those who are pacifists are not deserving of respect?

What exactly does fighting prove, to anyone? There are people that haven ever fought but have shown more courage in a single day than you will in a lifetime. You immediately assume that because I believe fights are pointless, I never got into one, and by default am a coward.

Your viewpoint is primitive and barbaric. If foreign policy was dictated by someone like you, we would be going to war every tuesday.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 7:36:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/2/2014 4:42:38 PM, Morality wrote:
Really? And how many fights did you get into, and how do I know you aren't lying through your teeth?

Anyone can be lying at any given time, but I see no reason to lie about such things. I'm merely sharing my own experiences to paint a better picture of my opinion on this topic. In regards to numbers, I'd say I got into anywhere from 15-20 real fights in HS (of which I was expelled from two different schoo, and 4 in college. These are just street fights though. There have been several times where buddies would gather with some boxing gloves and have a go. We had a neighborhood fight club but I do not count those since they were usually friendly bouts.

I don't where you get this information from, but when you assault someone from a gang, and they lose, they have few options left but to quit that gang or try to take you out again. Fights can turn lethal because one person got carried away even in suburban streets a block from the police station, let alone when the police may not even come for half an hour.

And how does this go against anything I've said? Of course I've had to fight the same kid for a re-match every once in awhile (one time this kid and I had 3 fights because we kept wearing each-other out before a KO could occur), but I don't recall ever hearing about them getting jumped outta the gang for losing. I wouldn't know because they weren't part of my group but regardless, you have no idea how gangs work in Palm Beach. You can't be placing stuff you hear from your local gangs or documentaries on all gangs.

You anecdote doesn't really prove much of anything. For your there a thousand others who say the opposite, and it isn't very hard to find one. High schools are filed with youth that gang members get a lot of recruits from - even someone who isn't in a gang could carry a pocket knife or firearm.

What anecdote?

I'm not saying you should avoid something that can kill you simply because of that, I am saying doing something like that just to inflate you ego is idiotic.

Idk about fighting to inflate ego's so I can't properly comment on that. I fought to gain respect, hold my place, and protect myself when fvckboys would try me.

If you teach yourself how to fight, or practice martial arts, even guns shouldn't be an issue.
Then you don't know what you're talking about. Most martial arts experts tell you, if you get mugged in the alleyway, your best defense is handing over your wallet. Even if you think you can take them, your life isn't worth your wallet.

Lol, yes - masters might say that to beginners. My master specifically trained his pupils on how to disarm from any angle. It was a 3-week special class offered to those who desired to learn. If you know those skills, you don't HAVE to hand over your wallet, you can choose to take out the aggressor instead (should you have the courage to do so).

I'm not too sure if you ever had a proper master, most martial arts schools in America are taught by men who can't compete on a National level. I'd never let a mugger take control of the situation. I'd let him think he does, but the moment he goes for the wallet, I go for the gun whether I'm handing it to him over my shoulder, telling him to dig into my pocket, or facing him directly. I've been trained in all 3 and would never let my training go to waste.

Now, if I'm with a date or if it's multiple muggers then it's a different story.

You also fail to consider being mugged by a true psycho. One who will take your wallet and gladly shoot you in the back as you run away.

You would know techniques to disarm them immediately, especially if you are in a close-range situation like a fist-fight. You just need to defeat your own fear.
And then what happens if you lose? You die in an alleyway over a pathetic feud.

If I lose, then I was incapable of protecting myself and gladly accept my death. I will allow no man to ever tread on me if I am capable. I'm assuming you fear an untimely death?

How is someone able to determine if that person is unable to defend himself?
Physical stature, mostly, but even then people who are known to posses martial abilities get picked on less than others.
By the impression given by their physical features correct? I was skinny as a twig in highschool, weighing 130 lbs when wet. So I was a common target, UNTIL I started fighting back.
Doesn't really refute what I said, does it? You possessed martial ability, so they decided to pick on people who were easier targets.

Yes but that was only after they *saw* that I had such abilities. There were times when someone heard I won a fight but didn't believe the rumors and tested me out for themself. On more than one occasion I got challenged by fighters from rival schools because they heard I beat [insert name here].

We are now getting into the territory of *degrees* of bullies. You have the basic losers who pick on the weak to make up for their own inner weakness, and then you have those who fight just because they love the challenge and rush. I went through the first degree relatively fast - within my first semester of highschool. It was after I won a few that the *real* fighters started wanting a taste. And those guys can be even worse bullies than the basic ones if you refuse their challenge.

Yes, I have, actually, but I suppose it is easier to decide I'm a coward to make yourself feel better.

My mistake then, did you get your @ss beat or what? Every person I've talked to or known who has *won* a fight admits that they enjoyed the feeling of victory or, in my case, the rush. So, you'll have to excuse me for assuming you are a coward based on your original reply - it doesn't seem usual for someone who wins fights.

you'd know that guys would respect you even for attempting to fight.
No one respected me for it.

That sucks. You must have lost or been the one in the wrong.

Stop acting like your anecdote is proof of anything, for god's sake. I can easily go on the internet, anywhere, and find a story exactly like yours but with backs me up instead. Your anecdote is not proof of anything - all it does is support a localized example, nothing more.

As I said earlier, I am sharing my own experiences to paint a clearer picture of my opinion. The difference between hunting the internet and my sharing one is that I'm sharing a personal experience, hence it has greater truth value to me than sharing some random example.

Really? So the physical disabled are not deserving of respect?

Not in regards of being good fighters, lol. Sure they can earn respect in other avenues though and are fully capable of being respected by their peers.

So those who do not think they can win a fight, and do not want to fight, are not deserving of respect? So those who are pacifists are not deserving of respect?

If you have the means to protect yourself, but choose not to - you do not deserve my respect. How do you know you'll lose that fight if you don't try? It's not like a schoolyard fight is some cage-match fight to the death.

What exactly does fighting prove, to anyone?

If you win? You are strong, and not to be messed with.
If you lose? That you are weaker than the other.

There are people that haven ever fought but have shown more courage in a single day than you will in a lifetime.

Can you give an example?

Your viewpoint is primitive and barbaric.

Welcome to the real world, where words and fists are both tools for defeating enemies.

If foreign policy was dictated by someone like you, we would be going to war every tuesday.

Fist fights in school and foreign policy are two different things completely. That was, honestly, a foolish statement from you. Although, I would love the chance to spar against Vladimir Putin. The difference is governing yourself vs governing a nation.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 7:45:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
cyberbullying movie...wow, not too shabby. Realistically portrays the reality and is quite nice. Although it does not break it through my top 10--or even top 20, for that matter--it is still quite a good movie. I recommend it to most people.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 7:46:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 9:34:47 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/31/2014 9:13:21 PM, apb4y wrote:
All kids should be bullied, to stop them from becoming faggy twats.

Sometimes, bullying creates people like me. Power hungry sociopaths.

Who should go after their bullies and make them pay.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.