Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Should I go for it? Although others say no?

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:48:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As many of you all know, I"ve started Form 6 [see below if you don"t understand what I"m talking about] and am now in Lower 6. Lower 6 is an honour, as significantly less people are taken back in to schools.

At form 6 level, schools usually try to allow their form 6"s to attain as many leadership points as possible- as Senior prefects, going on workshops, being Head Girl or Deputy Head Girl, and last but not least a leader of your "house."

What is a "house?" No, it"s not the home or building you live in. However, like your home, where you"re amongst a family, one"s "house" in school is a group of students in the school. There are five houses in my school and all the students in the school are randomly (and I use that terminology VERY loosely) segregated into them.

Since I"m in form 6 now, I got shuffled into a new house, which isn"t bad, but I wanted to remain in the other house, to which I was loyal and patriotic for- having had represented it for many competitions. Yet, there"s nothing I can do now.

Fortunately, some of my close pals are in this house. As a form 6, we get the privilege of being House Captain, Vice-Captain, Treasurer and Secretary- which are a huge addition to your record, and would help make great high school memories.

Now, here"s my problem: I really want to be Vice-Captain or Secretary. I think Treasurer should be suited to someone with a POA background, and we already know who"s going to be voted in for Cap"n, since she"s a school favourite.

But, my best friend wants to spot of Vice-Captain" The thing is, I don"t want to seem intrusive and run against her" but I know she probably won"t win because she"s not charismatic and very quiet. She"ll need to open her mouth and channel the crowd, but while I"m sure she"s make a great VC, I don"t think she will be voted in.

Also, when I was conveying my interest in the spot, several other house members from form 6 stated, "Amy is going to be VC already Annie," [Amy being aforementioned friend.]

I"d definitely be up for still doing it, but there"s no order whatsoever to how they have us vote. I can"t go up and say, "I am applying to be the Secretary ." We just have to go and state something about ourselves and why we"d like to be HOUSE CAPTAIN. We leave the room. The members in the room vote for who they want as house captain. The person with the most votes becomes HC, second most VC, third treasurer, and fourth Secretary.

I"m not a social butterfly, but I think I can do this. I know when I were in those voters" shoes what I wanted to hear, so all I have to do is say that, be vibrant, and hope for the best.

It occurred to me that no one would vote for me, because I was the only person to vote for one girl once, but then the truth hit me that that was a cowardly approach.

Never let the fear of striking out stop you from playing the game.

tl dr>>> What do you guys think I should go up for, if anything? Am I right in still going up, although my friend is and our peers want her to be VC, or should I just step down to avoid confusion?

-=-=-
Extra tidbits:

Grades are somewhat like the equivalent of forms [but Idk how the conversion works from form to grade! xD]. At the end of form 5 in high school you write CSEC exams. If you do really good, you get into form 6 (two extra years added on to high school.) You could go straight to university, or get a job, but it'll most likely be local and the chances of getting in depend on your results and the CAPE results (exams at the end of form 6 [upper]). The point of writing form 6 is to get a chance to get a scholarship. There are two types, sponsored by the gov't- ADDITIONAL [financial aid] and OPEN [financial aid AND you get to go to any university in a world].

Basically lower and upper form 6, are pretty hard. You need to put in A LOT of work. At upper form six and the CAPE exam, it's basically a competition to see which school can win the most scholarships. Schools therefore fight for the best students.

There are secondary schools, which take back other students who are slower but the prestigious school such as my previously mentioned school and the all boys" school I would"ve gone to, don't care as much about the students as they do about the scholarships.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:48:46 PM
Advice or thoughts before Friday would be deeply appreciated! Thank you! :D
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:52:18 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:51:12 PM, YYW wrote:
Let me think about it, and I'll post something tonight.

Okies. Thank yew. :D
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:33:33 PM
BUMP nac
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 7:02:53 PM
Just don't say you want to be VC. Say you don't care what you get, you just like the challenge of being part of it. Publicly tell Amy she'll make a great VC. And go for it. :)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 8:41:16 PM
Endorse your friend for VC and run for treasury. It would be great and you wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:10:06 PM
School politics has to do a lot with social relations rather than actual conductive platform. I'm not sure how things are at your school, but at mine, word travelled extremely fast. And we didn't really care that much about our school. So if we were to know that a shy girl was trying to be the vice president and her friend (if you're better at expressing yourself, more sympathy to her) is undercutting her, there wouldn't have been too many votes for her friend. If your mutual friends are already supporting her, it isn't a good start to your platform. If I were you, I'd talk to Amy and explain the situation to her. Pitch it as being a fun competition, and try to make it seem trivial but exciting. Once you do the mature thing, and people get kinda onboard with it (they dont really have to support it, just not be against you) you can make your pitch.

Its more about the way you go announcing your candidacy rather than if/ whether you do. And definitely do it. That's not even a question in my mind. Just because your friend announced her intention doesnt mean you cant.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:40:27 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:48:15 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

How badly does your friend want that position? Like, why is it important to her?
Tsar of DDO
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 10:36:12 AM
At 9/3/2014 5:48:15 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
As many of you all know, I"ve started Form 6 [see below if you don"t understand what I"m talking about] and am now in Lower 6. Lower 6 is an honour, as significantly less people are taken back in to schools.

At form 6 level, schools usually try to allow their form 6"s to attain as many leadership points as possible- as Senior prefects, going on workshops, being Head Girl or Deputy Head Girl, and last but not least a leader of your "house."

What is a "house?" No, it"s not the home or building you live in. However, like your home, where you"re amongst a family, one"s "house" in school is a group of students in the school. There are five houses in my school and all the students in the school are randomly (and I use that terminology VERY loosely) segregated into them.

Since I"m in form 6 now, I got shuffled into a new house, which isn"t bad, but I wanted to remain in the other house, to which I was loyal and patriotic for- having had represented it for many competitions. Yet, there"s nothing I can do now.

Fortunately, some of my close pals are in this house. As a form 6, we get the privilege of being House Captain, Vice-Captain, Treasurer and Secretary- which are a huge addition to your record, and would help make great high school memories.

Now, here"s my problem: I really want to be Vice-Captain or Secretary. I think Treasurer should be suited to someone with a POA background, and we already know who"s going to be voted in for Cap"n, since she"s a school favourite.

But, my best friend wants to spot of Vice-Captain" The thing is, I don"t want to seem intrusive and run against her" but I know she probably won"t win because she"s not charismatic and very quiet. She"ll need to open her mouth and channel the crowd, but while I"m sure she"s make a great VC, I don"t think she will be voted in.

Also, when I was conveying my interest in the spot, several other house members from form 6 stated, "Amy is going to be VC already Annie," [Amy being aforementioned friend.]

I"d definitely be up for still doing it, but there"s no order whatsoever to how they have us vote. I can"t go up and say, "I am applying to be the Secretary ." We just have to go and state something about ourselves and why we"d like to be HOUSE CAPTAIN. We leave the room. The members in the room vote for who they want as house captain. The person with the most votes becomes HC, second most VC, third treasurer, and fourth Secretary.

I"m not a social butterfly, but I think I can do this. I know when I were in those voters" shoes what I wanted to hear, so all I have to do is say that, be vibrant, and hope for the best.

It occurred to me that no one would vote for me, because I was the only person to vote for one girl once, but then the truth hit me that that was a cowardly approach.

Never let the fear of striking out stop you from playing the game.

tl dr>>> What do you guys think I should go up for, if anything? Am I right in still going up, although my friend is and our peers want her to be VC, or should I just step down to avoid confusion?

-=-=-
Extra tidbits:

Grades are somewhat like the equivalent of forms [but Idk how the conversion works from form to grade! xD]. At the end of form 5 in high school you write CSEC exams. If you do really good, you get into form 6 (two extra years added on to high school.) You could go straight to university, or get a job, but it'll most likely be local and the chances of getting in depend on your results and the CAPE results (exams at the end of form 6 [upper]). The point of writing form 6 is to get a chance to get a scholarship. There are two types, sponsored by the gov't- ADDITIONAL [financial aid] and OPEN [financial aid AND you get to go to any university in a world].

Basically lower and upper form 6, are pretty hard. You need to put in A LOT of work. At upper form six and the CAPE exam, it's basically a competition to see which school can win the most scholarships. Schools therefore fight for the best students.

There are secondary schools, which take back other students who are slower but the prestigious school such as my previously mentioned school and the all boys" school I would"ve gone to, don't care as much about the students as they do about the scholarships.

I reactivated (temporarily) for you annie. Feel endlessly flattered. Message me in facebook or google+. I have some experience in school politics.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!