Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

My Childhood Dog Died Today... I'm hurting.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 5:53:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Today I lost my childhood dog to cancer. She's been in pain for the last few months and we've already had the surgeries done previously. Last night we had another episode of her panting non-stop and my family decided it was time. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye in person because I am away at my Univerisity but was able to see via Facetime her last moments.

I don't think I've ever cried like this before though. I even remember at my grandfather's funeral not really crying and actually feeling bad that I wasn't crying, but we weren't really close. But this dog, I mean, she was by my side since I was a child. I'm doing this weird thing where I'm remembering all these good times we had and I'm laughing but then instantly it turns into a cry. This time, it really feels like I've lost a part of me.

Has anyone gone through similar experiences? Can anyone give any advice on how to cope with the pain of losing something close like a childhood dog? It's not death, or death anxiety that I'm facing - I'm fine with death and accept it as a part of this life... but I fvcking miss her already. Like, it's the missing her that is killing me. Never being able to see her again... it hurts.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 5:59:10 PM
At 9/8/2014 5:53:23 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Today I lost my childhood dog to cancer. She's been in pain for the last few months and we've already had the surgeries done previously. Last night we had another episode of her panting non-stop and my family decided it was time. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye in person because I am away at my Univerisity but was able to see via Facetime her last moments.

I don't think I've ever cried like this before though. I even remember at my grandfather's funeral not really crying and actually feeling bad that I wasn't crying, but we weren't really close. But this dog, I mean, she was by my side since I was a child. I'm doing this weird thing where I'm remembering all these good times we had and I'm laughing but then instantly it turns into a cry. This time, it really feels like I've lost a part of me.

Has anyone gone through similar experiences? Can anyone give any advice on how to cope with the pain of losing something close like a childhood dog? It's not death, or death anxiety that I'm facing - I'm fine with death and accept it as a part of this life... but I fvcking miss her already. Like, it's the missing her that is killing me. Never being able to see her again... it hurts.

I haven't gone through anything quite that sad, but when I lost my pet bunny, we buried it style, and made a cross to remember it by, and mark its grave. It might help to do a personal memorial of her, and try to remember the best memories with her. Maybe write them down.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:08:12 PM
At 9/8/2014 5:59:10 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I haven't gone through anything quite that sad, but when I lost my pet bunny, we buried it style, and made a cross to remember it by, and mark its grave. It might help to do a personal memorial of her, and try to remember the best memories with her. Maybe write them down.

Thanks for your kind words. Everytime I think about our best memories I just end up crying right now. I don't cry - like ever - but today I just can't help it. I'm going to write a poem and dedicate it to her eventually, and have already decided that at some point when I have a dog of my own (since she was more of a family dog) it'll carry on her legacy by having the name Shep as well.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:10:56 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:08:12 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thanks for your kind words. Everytime I think about our best memories I just end up crying right now. I don't cry - like ever - but today I just can't help it. I'm going to write a poem and dedicate it to her eventually, and have already decided that at some point when I have a dog of my own (since she was more of a family dog) it'll carry on her legacy by having the name Shep as well.

It's perfectly fine and healthy to mourn. Give yourself some slack and try to distract yourself from the pain as best you can, and then revisit it for closure when the wound is less raw.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:13:02 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:04:26 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that, Addison. My condolences.

Thank you, this has been a hard day for me. I find myself emotionally drained and just want to lay in my bed for the rest of the night. I've never had "true" friends while growing up, but she was always there for me. Usually, when someone I know dies I find myself facing death anxiety or facing the unknown. This time, it's like I've really lost a piece of me and I haven't ever felt that before. It's weird, unknown to me emotionally, and hurts alot. I truly loved that dog...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:15:15 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:13:02 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/8/2014 6:04:26 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that, Addison. My condolences.

Thank you, this has been a hard day for me. I find myself emotionally drained and just want to lay in my bed for the rest of the night. I've never had "true" friends while growing up, but she was always there for me. Usually, when someone I know dies I find myself facing death anxiety or facing the unknown. This time, it's like I've really lost a piece of me and I haven't ever felt that before. It's weird, unknown to me emotionally, and hurts alot. I truly loved that dog...

I understand, man, and I'm sorry.
Tsar of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:16:07 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:10:56 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

It's perfectly fine and healthy to mourn. Give yourself some slack and try to distract yourself from the pain as best you can, and then revisit it for closure when the wound is less raw.

That's good advice. I guess for me I've just never experienced such a personal loss before. Here was something I was truly emotionally invested in, and now she's gone. It's a new feeling for me, like I've lost a part of myself. It feels good to vent like this though, I needed it. I know that with time the pain will heal, for now I've just gotta make it past the initial hurt.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:32:24 PM

When my grandmother's dog was put down, it felt terrible for the days that followed. The same happened when my guinea pig passed. It was miserable for a short period of time. For me, I just, for the most part, suppressed the sadness until I got over it.

I don't know if that would work for you though.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:33:07 PM
People don't cry unless they've orchestrated it. It's a manipulation. When my grandfather died, I cried for my family, not him. Afterwards I cried upon the deaths of loved ones. And not to belittle your experience, but just your regarding it so selfishly and seemingly to provide warrant. I suppose next thing you'll be writing a sequel to The Stranger. Or maybe "venting" etc. is just something to do with your loss --either way.

"It's all about smiles and cries. Yeah. You gotta control your smiles and cries, because that's all you have and nobody can take that away from you." - Training Day
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:35:12 PM
And I am sorry for your loss, and I love my dog dearly and the thought of your loss hurts me, but you don't seem an unintelligent dude, recently making that thread about female friendship and sex, and so there's no point sugar-coating it.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:37:00 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:16:07 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/8/2014 6:10:56 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

That's good advice. I guess for me I've just never experienced such a personal loss before. Here was something I was truly emotionally invested in, and now she's gone. It's a new feeling for me, like I've lost a part of myself. It feels good to vent like this though, I needed it. I know that with time the pain will heal, for now I've just gotta make it past the initial hurt.

Sometimes it helps me to write out my feelings, just to vent. I'm praying for you.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 6:45:34 PM
No suits to a doggy's funeral. Best get on the old DDO.

Damn, I'm brutal. I get it, though. And there's humanity for you. My humanity. And I am appropriately miserable for this event.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 7:56:19 PM

I never had a dog die before, but i used to have a childhood dog who i bonded with and it was hard enough. My family kept it locked in a cage away from all the other people. The owner mistreated the dog very badly. The dog rarely had anything to eat so every day and night, we heard barking and it was really tough to feed him. I often begged my mom to feed him because it was just terrible hearing him. After a long time, my mom decided it was time to give him up for an animal shelter because we couldn't support him. It hurt a lot, i cried, and got really depressed. It still kinda messes with me a little bit, but remember that everything has a purpose. I'd like to think that dog is still alive because the dog was meant to teach you a valuable lesson in life so that you can grow as a individual. I hope you'll find it.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 8:19:47 PM
I'm so sorry man. My dog died junior year and it was tough... I still remember, bluesteel sent me this excerpt from a poem that still makes me tear up all this time later but it also made me feel a bit better.

"And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands."

A Dog's Prayer http://www.petloss.com...

As a show of solidarity, I'll change my profile picture to one of me with my childhood dog.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 8:28:50 PM
The best cure for this will be time. As deeply hurt as you are, you will eventually find rest from it. It is fine that you are mourning. I remember nearly a decade ago when one of my dearest teachers came to work deeply saddened, and it was due to the loss of her dog. She got another one not long afterwards, and I believe it helped her cope, too.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 8:29:35 PM
At 9/8/2014 8:19:47 PM, thett3 wrote:
As a show of solidarity, I'll change my profile picture to one of me with my childhood dog.
Ah, very cute picture. He looks happy there.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:11:23 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:32:24 PM, SamStevens wrote:

When my grandmother's dog was put down, it felt terrible for the days that followed. The same happened when my guinea pig passed. It was miserable for a short period of time. For me, I just, for the most part, suppressed the sadness until I got over it.

I was planning on that. Like, I didn't cry when my grandpa passed away. I remember going to the funeral and wondering why everyone else was crying. (I realize now it's because I didn't really know him or anything, he was across the nation for my entire childhood). I stupidly thought that's how they'd all be. Never really lost someone/something this close to me before, so it's kinda a new experience for me. I held it in all day while on campus. That was the worst part. I had to watch my dog get put down via facetime and then go to class 15 minutes later. That really sucked because I wasn't able to process the emotions while in public, so for like 6 hours today I was just holding it in.

I'm better now, was able to go home eventually and mourn properly. It's just weird missing something so much. Never really felt this before. Hurts alot. It'll pass with time though, like all things. I know this - but it doesn't do much for the pain I'm feeling now, ya know? Accepting she's gone is the hardest part.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:17:36 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:33:07 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
People don't cry unless they've orchestrated it. It's a manipulation. When my grandfather died, I cried for my family, not him. Afterwards I cried upon the deaths of loved ones. And not to belittle your experience, but just your regarding it so selfishly and seemingly to provide warrant. I suppose next thing you'll be writing a sequel to The Stranger. Or maybe "venting" etc. is just something to do with your loss --either way.

Venting has helped tremendously. Won't be writing any sequels to anything though. I'm am definitely being selfish as well. This is a new experience for me, so I'm taking it in fully - trying to process all these new emotions. I didn't cry at all when my grandpa died, and thought that's how all funerals would be.

"It's all about smiles and cries. Yeah. You gotta control your smiles and cries, because that's all you have and nobody can take that away from you." - Training Day

Today was the first time I think I've ever laughed at a memory and then cried about it a second later. It was weird and new for me. All of this is, as ridiculous as that sounds. I guess if anything I'm pretty lucky to have never felt this kind of pain before. It sucks.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:20:42 PM
At 9/8/2014 6:35:12 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
And I am sorry for your loss, and I love my dog dearly and the thought of your loss hurts me, but you don't seem an unintelligent dude, recently making that thread about female friendship and sex, and so there's no point sugar-coating it.

Yes, I'm definitely not fishing for empathy. I usually never let pathos rule my life. I'm just wondering how other people have dealt with a loss this personal before since it's new to me. Talking about it also has seemed to help so far.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:28:16 PM
At 9/8/2014 8:19:47 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm so sorry man. My dog died junior year and it was tough... I still remember, bluesteel sent me this excerpt from a poem that still makes me tear up all this time later but it also made me feel a bit better.

"And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands."

A Dog's Prayer http://www.petloss.com...

Thank you thett, I really appreciate you sharing that excerpt and the sign of solidarity.

That poem is nice too, it just made me tear up some more, but that's not a bad thing at all right now. I literally felt closer to her than anyone else as a kid, it's just the magic of having a good childhood companion. She was my security blanket and all that. Usually I'm not this open about my feelings on here, it's just been a terribly rough day. Anyways, thank you again Thett. I just shared the poem with some family members.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:31:02 PM
At 9/8/2014 8:28:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
The best cure for this will be time. As deeply hurt as you are, you will eventually find rest from it. It is fine that you are mourning. I remember nearly a decade ago when one of my dearest teachers came to work deeply saddened, and it was due to the loss of her dog. She got another one not long afterwards, and I believe it helped her cope, too.

Yeah, I asked my mom if she would be getting a new puppy because we still have another dog that basically grew up having the other one around - I'm worried she'll fall into a depression in a day or two when she realizes the other one isn't coming back home. I find myself feeling so deeply about a dog and the only reason why that I can think of is because she just always gave me unconditional love and was a solid companion growing up. I've never lost someone/something this close to me before, so it's kind of a new experience for me emotionally.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:44:09 PM
At 9/8/2014 9:11:23 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I was planning on that. Like, I didn't cry when my grandpa passed away. I remember going to the funeral and wondering why everyone else was crying.

I will probably react the same way when my dad dies. He is not around, and left around 0.25/0.5 < x > 2. 'x' being my age. My step dad is a different story since he has been there since I could remember. All I know is when my grandfather dies, it will be rough. He has been their all my child hood.

(I realize now it's because I didn't really know him or anything, he was across the nation for my entire childhood). I stupidly thought that's how they'd all be. Never really lost someone/something this close to me before, so it's kinda a new experience for me. I held it in all day while on campus. That was the worst part. I had to watch my dog get put down via facetime and then go to class 15 minutes later. That really sucked because I wasn't able to process the emotions while in public, so for like 6 hours today I was just holding it in.

I'm better now, was able to go home eventually and mourn properly. It's just weird missing something so much. Never really felt this before. Hurts alot. It'll pass with time though, like all things. I know this - but it doesn't do much for the pain I'm feeling now, ya know? Accepting she's gone is the hardest part.

That is the hardest part. I have always felt a little empty when a pet dies. You lose a good companion.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 9:48:28 PM
At 9/8/2014 9:44:09 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/8/2014 9:11:23 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I was planning on that. Like, I didn't cry when my grandpa passed away. I remember going to the funeral and wondering why everyone else was crying.

I will probably react the same way when my dad dies. He is not around, and left around 0.25/0.5 < x > 2. 'x' being my age. My step dad is a different story since he has been there since I could remember. All I know is when my grandfather dies, it will be rough. He has been their all my child hood.

That makes complete sense. I'm glad to hear it from others as well, because it means I'm not alone in my experiences.

(I realize now it's because I didn't really know him or anything, he was across the nation for my entire childhood). I stupidly thought that's how they'd all be. Never really lost someone/something this close to me before, so it's kinda a new experience for me. I held it in all day while on campus. That was the worst part. I had to watch my dog get put down via facetime and then go to class 15 minutes later. That really sucked because I wasn't able to process the emotions while in public, so for like 6 hours today I was just holding it in.

That is the hardest part. I have always felt a little empty when a pet dies. You lose a good companion.

You hit the nail on the head. She was the most loyal, kind, loving friend any boy growing up could ask for. Not much can come between the bond of a boy and his dog.

Thank you for your kind words. It's helping me process all of this, like, just talking about it helps alot.
Publicaccount
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 10:54:28 PM
I know what it's like. I've had lots of pets who died. My first pet death that I remember vividly (We had one before that but I was too young to really understand. Hit my Mom really hard though) was a cat who got run over by a car. I was coming to pick up something from home before I went to my grandmother's and my mom and my fairy godmother (Yes I have a Fairy Godmother. Shush.) were digging a hole in the backyard. I'm scared for my current cat who I love dearly. I don't want something to happen to him. We recently lost one of our cats. We thought she was gone. Luckily we found her. I'm sorry for your loss. It gets better over time. It really does.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 4:59:12 AM
Well, you should've taken it more personally than that. I despise death being made a fashion show of.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 8:04:21 AM

Had to put my family dog down several years ago.
It takes time and sometimes I still cry about it.

My suggestion would be not to watch any movies with dogs in it (Old Yeller, Marley and Me)
BobTurner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 9:15:31 AM
Sorry to hear that you're hurting, man. My childhood best friend went through a similar situation, so I can partially, though admittedly incompletely, understand how you must feel. I'm sure your dog was an integral part of your life, and from what it seems, you and your family gave it an excellent life. Though we all loathe mortality, unfortunately it's part of this existence, dim as it may be.

I know this will be hard for you to hear right now, but there's a great line by Dr. Seuss that I think is particularly apt: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." You'll always have your memories with your dog. You should be able to look back upon those and smile, knowing this was entirely out of your control and you did everything in your power to give your dog the best possible life.

My condolences and sympathies with you.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 10:23:23 AM

A pet is really close to a person. Your friend when everyone else seems like a b*tch, no pun intended. I feel for you, when my cat died, I thought my life was over. I have from that day never gotten another cat, can't.
If you want to talk or anything, I'm here for ya.