Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheism, Nihilism, Big Changes

Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 12:03:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I am an atheist, a moral and existential nihilist, anti-marriage, on the fence regarding natalism and I am vegetarianist, with a paradoxical view that killing whales and lions may be comparable to killing ants.

I was essentially the opposite September last year, I was a Christian, although I was pro-abortion (with some reservations), but I was largely ignorant of philosophy and most of the views I had that mattered were scientific or economic.

Now that I have such changed core views, of which hardly anyone I know actually knows I have gone through (except maybe that I am an atheist, although religion isn't very important in the UK, even for Christians). Just how should I break this/bring this up to people I date? Or even my family, the only thing my family knows is I am an atheist, but I don't think I they would understand how 'extreme' my views have become.

In fact I am somewhat worried for myself, I act normally and have mostly the same emotions and feelings as I has when I was a Christian this time last year. The difference is I readily entertain some of the most disturbing hypotheticals that I would never have let my mind wander before. Moral dilemmas seem so simple to me, as well as sad news of someone's illness or death.

It's all much more logical, and as such I don't invest or experience as much emotion, except for the people that are there at the time.

I duno, this is more of a rant about my first world problems, and how most people don't know who I am anymore, and I am not sure if i want people to know what I have become, it is better that way.

/emotional rant
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 12:14:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here's the good news, Envisage: You have a soul. The bad news... well, you're wrong about everything lol.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:01:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 12:28:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
American people are cunts.

Is that a compliment? Or do you hate cunts?
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:03:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:01:35 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 12:28:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
American people are cunts.

Is that a compliment? Or do you hate cunts?

Actually don't answer. I changed my mind from caring to not caring.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:04:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:01:35 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 12:28:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
American people are cunts.

Is that a compliment? Or do you hate cunts?

Well, seems that profile picture is truly representative of your personality...

And don't take it too personally. Perhaps I should've said that American people are "spiritual children" or something like that. I was merely making the same observation I've made countless times before: that non-Americans are generally hugely more soulful than Americans.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:04:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:03:34 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:01:35 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 12:28:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
American people are cunts.

Is that a compliment? Or do you hate cunts?

Actually don't answer. I changed my mind from caring to not caring.

Too late.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:08:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:04:25 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Well, seems that profile picture is truly representative of your personality...

because I pay attention to babies?

And don't take it too personally. Perhaps I should've said that American people are "spiritual children" or something like that. I was merely making the same observation I've made countless times before: that non-Americans are generally hugely more soulful than Americans.

So if cunt means spiritually childish, what's your metaphor for spiritually mature?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:09:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:08:15 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:04:25 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Well, seems that profile picture is truly representative of your personality...

because I pay attention to babies?

No, because it's ugly.

And don't take it too personally. Perhaps I should've said that American people are "spiritual children" or something like that. I was merely making the same observation I've made countless times before: that non-Americans are generally hugely more soulful than Americans.

So if cunt means spiritually childish, what's your metaphor for spiritually mature?

"Soulful" fits.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:10:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh sh*t...and because it's weird you'd imagine being a "cunt" as something possibly good, I meant to add after "because it's ugly". Sorry, sometimes I put ideas before people unless I concentrate :D
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:13:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:12:27 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:09:20 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
No, because it's ugly.

I like it. but okay.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Hey, maybe you're more enlightened that I am.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:14:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Kinda reminds me a little bit of Derren Brown with all the deformed taxidermy around his house though.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:14:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:10:58 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Oh sh*t...and because it's weird you'd imagine being a "cunt" as something possibly good, I meant to add after "because it's ugly". Sorry, sometimes I put ideas before people unless I concentrate :D

I don't know what you mean, but you said I am ugly even though it's not me and anyway I have stuff to do. Talk later.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:15:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:14:25 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:10:58 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Oh sh*t...and because it's weird you'd imagine being a "cunt" as something possibly good, I meant to add after "because it's ugly". Sorry, sometimes I put ideas before people unless I concentrate :D

I don't know what you mean, but you said I am ugly even though it's not me and anyway I have stuff to do. Talk later.

I was talking about you liking it, not you.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 1:16:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yeah, I got a thing with pretty girls that leaves me all Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones... lol.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:09:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 1:16:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yeah, I got a thing with pretty girls that leaves me all Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones... lol.

wtf? This conversation really didn't work for me. You called me a cunt with an ugly personality (I think), but hey, I'm getting a friendly vibe so let's be friends!!
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:11:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:09:24 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:16:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yeah, I got a thing with pretty girls that leaves me all Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones... lol.

wtf? This conversation really didn't work for me. You called me a cunt with an ugly personality (I think), but hey, I'm getting a friendly vibe so let's be friends!!

I thought that was your thing!
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:16:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:11:10 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:09:24 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:16:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yeah, I got a thing with pretty girls that leaves me all Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones... lol.

wtf? This conversation really didn't work for me. You called me a cunt with an ugly personality (I think), but hey, I'm getting a friendly vibe so let's be friends!!

I thought that was your thing!

what was?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:17:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:16:25 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:11:10 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:09:24 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 1:16:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yeah, I got a thing with pretty girls that leaves me all Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones... lol.

wtf? This conversation really didn't work for me. You called me a cunt with an ugly personality (I think), but hey, I'm getting a friendly vibe so let's be friends!!

I thought that was your thing!

what was?

Ugliness with a friendly vibe to it (I wasn't calling you ugly, just joking :D)
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:23:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:21:30 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:17:55 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
you mean you think I'm attracted to my own avatar?

In a sense - of course you are.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:25:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:23:00 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:21:30 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:17:55 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
you mean you think I'm attracted to my own avatar?

In a sense - of course you are.

To the art of it and what it represents. Do you really think it's ugly?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:30:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:25:03 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:23:00 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:21:30 AM, Garbanza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 2:17:55 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
you mean you think I'm attracted to my own avatar?

In a sense - of course you are.

To the art of it and what it represents. Do you really think it's ugly?

And see my pic for the art of it and what it represents - a certain sadness in me. But it's also a pretty girl.

And yeah tbh, but visual reception is a nuanced thing. I'd say it's probably big of you that you don't (or there's something cool about it anyway).
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:40:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 12:03:26 AM, Envisage wrote:
sorry that was really rude to hijack your thread especially since it was a really interesting topic. I don't know what to say though. I stopped believing in god when I was 17 and actually I found it heartbreaking and I never told my Dad, I just krpt going to church with him. I don't regret that because I liked doing it, but it felt like a betrayal. It's not that you have any choice believing what you believe. Now I think, there's no reason why I couldn't have talked to him about it AND kept going to church. People appreciate honesty.
Garbanza
Posts: 1,997
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:47:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 2:30:31 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

So what's ugly about it? Or, put another way, what would need to be different for you to not find it ugly? This is my absolute last answer because of hijacking the thread but I really want to hear your answer.
sdavio
Posts: 1,798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 7:08:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/16/2014 12:03:26 AM, Envisage wrote:

As for nihilism, I think it - in its true meaning - is much less 'shocking' than it is given credit for. I mean, if you're on a date and tell someone, "I have something to tell you.. I'm a nihilist.." they will probably be quite startled if only because of the fact that you've attached yourself to some spiritual-sounding principle, and then the connotations which will make people wonder if it means you have no regard for other people, don't care about murder, and so on. But really, if you take the basic elements of existential & moral nihilism, most people would find statements like, "value is relative", or, "I don't believe the universe is an aggregate of objects or a ball of matter", as not only acceptable, but completely uncontroversial.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx