Jump to topic:

Are there any laws against this?

TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 11:16:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Are there any laws concerning abuse of mentally disabled children? By abuse, I mean- is emotional abuse included?

Thank you.

Polite and resourceful answers, please.

Thank you.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 12:13:52 PM
First, it would help to identify where you are referring. Are you talking about a specific state or country, or anywhere ever?

Second, is emotional abuse considered abuse? There are child abuse laws in the USA, but I am not sure if emotional abuse is viable.

Third, is the issue they are impaired relevant? Are you asking if there are specific laws for them, as opposed to any child?
My work here is, finally, done.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 12:44:04 PM
As Khaos said, it is governed by the state. For example, my state, Maryland, defines (in its section on criminal law) child abuse in " 3-601, as pertaining only to causing physical injury. Mental abuse would fall under child neglect (" 3-602.1)

However, later in the state code, under family law, it includes mental injury under the general definition of abuse (" 5-701).

I do not see that it makes any distinction regarding the mental state of the child (though "vulnerable" adults are lumped in with abuse and neglect of children).
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 4:18:27 PM
There is a law or regulation concerning every known thing.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 8:13:38 PM
At 9/25/2014 11:16:38 AM, TheINFJNala wrote:
Are there any laws concerning abuse of mentally disabled children? By abuse, I mean- is emotional abuse included?

Thank you.

Polite and resourceful answers, please.

Thank you.

Regarding criminal liability, usually although it depends on who is doing the abuse. Regarding civil liability, maybe. It depends. This is a state law issue, though, so, really, it depends.
Tsar of DDO