Jump to topic:

I'm so tired

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:40:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm tired of fighting people and arguing with them ad nauseam. Yes, this is a debate website, and yes, we are here to exchange ideas, but this is not a dogfight. I'm especially sick of creation vs. evolution debates, and the existence of God debates. We go over the same arguments over and over again. No one listens to the other, and calls the other stupid or worse because they dare to disagree. Debating is all well and good, but this type of "debating" is pointless.

As a Christian, I say something about my beliefs and get "jumped on" by atheists. I try not to judge atheists in general, but this happens a lot. Atheists who have trumpeted how we need more "tolerance" and more "open-mindedness" attack me and use neither. I don't get it. I realize that Christianity sounds stupid on the face of it, but to me, so does evolution. I wish we could be bigger than insults and fights, and come up with original arguments and topics to debate on. I wish we could separate the person from the belief and respect each person as much as we would like to be respected.

Does anyone else see this? Is anyone else sick of the never-ending pattern? Or is there not a problem?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 8:22:26 PM
I feel yah, I see way to many debates over the existence of God. That's why I try to do a bunch of new crazy debates. Up next I'm thinking about doing a cartoon conservative debate.

Resolved: Dora the Explorer suffers from down syndrome. (pro)
Resolved: The world of Ed, Edd, and Eddy is actually purgatory. (pro)
Resolved: Courage the Cowardly Dog is from the dogs Point of View. (Pro)
Resolved: The Flintstones occur after the Jetzens. (pro)
Resolved: PowerPuff Gifls and Samuri Jack are in the same universe. (pro)
Resolved: Adventure Time is post appocoliptic. (pro)

Are you interested in any of these?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 8:27:21 PM
At 9/26/2014 8:22:26 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I feel yah, I see way to many debates over the existence of God. That's why I try to do a bunch of new crazy debates. Up next I'm thinking about doing a cartoon conservative debate.

Interesting.
Resolved: Adventure Time is post apocalyptic. (pro)
fix'd

Not right now.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 8:41:15 PM

Not at the moment. Thank you so much for offering, but I'm up to my neck in things to do. I debate IRL, so that takes up my time. :)

Also, I don't think I've seen any of those cartoons.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 8:46:23 PM
At 9/26/2014 8:41:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Not at the moment. Thank you so much for offering, but I'm up to my neck in things to do. I debate IRL, so that takes up my time. :)

I feel yah. I have tons of homework and here I am debating in two tournies and debating Danielle.

Where was your childhood?!?!?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 8:48:33 PM
At 9/26/2014 8:46:23 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I feel yah. I have tons of homework and here I am debating in two tournies and debating Danielle.

Yep. We're in the same boat!

Spent reading books and playing with toys. :D

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:09:43 PM
At 9/26/2014 8:48:33 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I read my share of Magic Tree House, Goosebumps, and Calvin &Hobbes, but I still saw a few toons.

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:11:54 PM
At 9/26/2014 9:09:43 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/26/2014 8:48:33 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I read my share of Magic Tree House, Goosebumps, and Calvin &Hobbes, but I still saw a few toons.

Yeah, but we got rid of the TV when I was like 3.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:17:20 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:40:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I'm tired of fighting people and arguing with them ad nauseam. Yes, this is a debate website, and yes, we are here to exchange ideas, but this is not a dogfight. I'm especially sick of creation vs. evolution debates, and the existence of God debates. We go over the same arguments over and over again. No one listens to the other, and calls the other stupid or worse because they dare to disagree. Debating is all well and good, but this type of "debating" is pointless.

As a Christian, I say something about my beliefs and get "jumped on" by atheists. I try not to judge atheists in general, but this happens a lot. Atheists who have trumpeted how we need more "tolerance" and more "open-mindedness" attack me and use neither. I don't get it. I realize that Christianity sounds stupid on the face of it, but to me, so does evolution. I wish we could be bigger than insults and fights, and come up with original arguments and topics to debate on. I wish we could separate the person from the belief and respect each person as much as we would like to be respected.

Does anyone else see this? Is anyone else sick of the never-ending pattern? Or is there not a problem?

I've been on DDO for over three years, and I've made more than eighteen thousand posts on this site. There are probably not more than 100 which I have made in the Religion section. There is a reason for that.
Tsar of DDO
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:19:27 PM
At 9/26/2014 10:17:20 PM, YYW wrote:

I've been on DDO for over three years, and I've made more than eighteen thousand posts on this site. There are probably not more than 100 which I have made in the Religion section. There is a reason for that.

Yeah, same here, but I get dragged into them anyway.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:34:48 PM
At 9/26/2014 10:19:27 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

The thing is that that sort of thing is really easy to ignore, and that's usually the best policy.
Tsar of DDO
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:37:24 PM
At 9/26/2014 10:34:48 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 10:19:27 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

The thing is that that sort of thing is really easy to ignore, and that's usually the best policy.

Ok. Thank you for the advice. I'll try.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:52:00 PM

Let's debate God's existence:
http://www.debate.org...

Alternatively we can debate "Evolution Happened"
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:57:48 PM
At 9/26/2014 10:52:00 PM, Envisage wrote:

Meanie. -.-

Besides, I have this note: "You cannot accept this challenge because you do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria."

So there!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 11:00:12 PM

I think you just entirely missed the point here.
The proudest moment of my life was when i traveled a thousand miles for love and brought that love back with me those same thousand miles. Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will, will ever take that pride away from my heart.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 11:01:10 PM
At 9/26/2014 10:57:48 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Meanie. -.-

Besides, I have this note: "You cannot accept this challenge because you do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria."

So there!

Lol, I closed the debate because I am waiting for a good debater (hint, hint).

Soooo....? Shall I send you it?
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 11:02:10 PM
At 9/26/2014 11:01:10 PM, Envisage wrote:

Meanie. -.-

So there!

Nope. I'm too busy. But thank you for the offer.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 11:08:40 PM
At 9/26/2014 11:02:10 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Meanie. -.-

So there!

Fair enough, was worth a try :-p.

But yes, judging by the people who debate those topics you mentioned on this site (and reading many of them myself), they are usually from poorly researched positions, and because it has been debated so much, people who have done research will usually have a stale case.

Hence it's probably better to avoid such discussions if it frustrates you, because it inevitably will. I mean the topic is very important either way, because religion is one of the biggest players in modern society, so even if it's stale it does need to be discussed. But do so in moderation.

Why not do debates and discussions about other Ancient Greek stuff? Judging by your profile it seems that these would be interesting debates anyway.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 11:11:08 PM
At 9/26/2014 11:08:40 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/26/2014 11:02:10 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Meanie. -.-

So there!

Fair enough, was worth a try :-p.

But yes, judging by the people who debate those topics you mentioned on this site (and reading many of them myself), they are usually from poorly researched positions, and because it has been debated so much, people who have done research will usually have a stale case.

Hence it's probably better to avoid such discussions if it frustrates you, because it inevitably will. I mean the topic is very important either way, because religion is one of the biggest players in modern society, so even if it's stale it does need to be discussed. But do so in moderation.

Why not do debates and discussions about other Ancient Greek stuff? Judging by your profile it seems that these would be interesting debates anyway.

Yes, that is a good idea. I might try that when I have time.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:20:55 AM

I'm tired of it as well. This site is infested with atheists jumping on Christians and vice versa. I also don't like the same arguments being used again over and over again (Ontological, Cosmological, Moral argument, etc.) People should create their own arguments. When i get in religious debates, people always have to ruin the sort of competitive spirit by throwing a couple of personal jabs at the other. It's hard to be respectful at times, so that's why i pretty much stopped doing it because people aren't mature enough to handle it. I'ma start reporting these personal insults towards religion.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:26:33 AM
At 9/27/2014 11:20:55 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

I'm tired of it as well. This site is infested with atheists jumping on Christians and vice versa. I also don't like the same arguments being used again over and over again (Ontological, Cosmological, Moral argument, etc.) People should create their own arguments. When i get in religious debates, people always have to ruin the sort of competitive spirit by throwing a couple of personal jabs at the other. It's hard to be respectful at times, so that's why i pretty much stopped doing it because people aren't mature enough to handle it. I'ma start reporting these personal insults towards religion.

Exactly.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:40:59 AM
You know, posting your opinions on a debate website, somehow exposes you to be confronted about those opinions. If you simply say "i believe in God", "I am a christian", etc. People will understand that you expect a response (if not, why would you post it in the first place?), and it could be positive or negative.

Although I agree some people take it too personal, and therefore attack each other on a personal level. I try not to do it, but I do that as well, especially when these "opinions" are just disguised discriminative bs.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:47:06 AM
At 9/27/2014 11:40:59 AM, Otokage wrote:
You know, posting your opinions on a debate website, somehow exposes you to be confronted about those opinions. If you simply say "i believe in God", "I am a christian", etc. People will understand that you expect a response (if not, why would you post it in the first place?), and it could be positive or negative.

Although I agree some people take it too personal, and therefore attack each other on a personal level. I try not to do it, but I do that as well, especially when these "opinions" are just disguised discriminative bs.

I understand that, but we can discuss the merits of the opinion without attacking the person in a militant way. I had a great discussion about gay marriage with bsh1, and I never felt like he attacked me.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 12:24:23 PM

I was gonna say take a nice nap o.o but I don't think that will work in this situation.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 4:36:17 PM
At 9/29/2014 12:24:23 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

I was gonna say take a nice nap o.o but I don't think that will work in this situation.
Yeah, though naps are awesome!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:53:25 PM
You have finally made the argument for self segregation. Secular/atheists and christians can not coexist. Why govt tries to make us live together is beyond me. There is nothing to talk to each other about. nothing.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 9:10:06 PM

Keep sowing seeds of the Word of God, keep telling others about the good news of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Don't let the atheists discourage you. Remember, Jesus promised that if we believe on Him, the world would hate us the same as they hated Him. We have a reward in heaven. Lose your life for the gospel and you will find it. Don't let the atheists and haters bother you. The ones who eally count are the ones who are reading and being called by God, who may or may not be responding to you.
God uses atheists. God used Pharoh. Don't let them get you down.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 10:47:00 PM
At 9/29/2014 9:10:06 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

Keep sowing seeds of the Word of God, keep telling others about the good news of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Don't let the atheists discourage you. Remember, Jesus promised that if we believe on Him, the world would hate us the same as they hated Him. We have a reward in heaven. Lose your life for the gospel and you will find it. Don't let the atheists and haters bother you. The ones who eally count are the ones who are reading and being called by God, who may or may not be responding to you.
God uses atheists. God used Pharoh. Don't let them get you down.
Thank you for the encouragement. May God bless you, and may your relationship with him continue to deepen.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 10:57:56 PM

This is a debate site, hence Debate.org, so prepare to get into a dogfight.

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."