Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Generation Wuss?

YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...
Tsar of DDO
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:22:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...

I think most crusty @ss old folks have nothing better to do than lament about the younger generation. I don't see anything here worth taking seriously.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:22:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...

I am inclined to agree. Taking no position on anything means you will fight for nothing thus making you a weak easy target to defeat. You would rather live in tyranny than offend your oppressor so to speak.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 2:09:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...

I think it's absolutely correct. It used to be that most textbooks in Colleges were Attic Greek, and Latin was reserved for the stupider students. Nowadays, if you know a smattering of Latin, you are a genius!
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 6:32:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Kids these days are weak. It's not empathy either. You learn empathy by looking at faces a lot while young. This newest generation looks at computer screens. Empathy is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

You'd think with the lack of empathy it would cause kids to possibly be tougher, but it's not the case. It's why the younger people have no work ethic. They just aren't tough enough to handle hard physical labor. They sag their pants because they are trying to look tough by emulating gang members. What kinda pvssy needs to emulate the lowest scum on the planet just to feel and project toughness. The only people going out of their way to project toughness are just pvssies afraid of getting tried to start with.

So in summary kids are Pvssies with no empathy.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 6:46:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not to mention they put too much cream and sugar in their coffee as well as prefer weak coffee. They also like fruity alcoholic beverages or crap mixed with energy drinks because they can't handle whiskey.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 7:03:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Rant continued:

Another thing about young people is that they are idiots. Back in the 1700s a 12 year old would work the fields, get married, raise their own children. Now they're a bunch of idiots who need help with their math homework.

I don't know why those little bastards need a times table chart anyway. Use a calculator idiots.

Despite working the fields and raising a family they still were smarter than the youth of today. Look at Benjamin Franklins writings. The guy was a genius, now look at what 20 year olds are writing these days with the aid of all of the knowledge of the world within a few clicks and more free time now that they aren't raising families and working the fields for 16 hours a day.
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 7:54:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...

Which generation comprises the millennials?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 7:58:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 6:32:42 AM, Wylted wrote:
Kids these days are weak. It's not empathy either. You learn empathy by looking at faces a lot while young. This newest generation looks at computer screens. Empathy is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

You'd think with the lack of empathy it would cause kids to possibly be tougher, but it's not the case. It's why the younger people have no work ethic. They just aren't tough enough to handle hard physical labor. They sag their pants because they are trying to look tough by emulating gang members. What kinda pvssy needs to emulate the lowest scum on the planet just to feel and project toughness. The only people going out of their way to project toughness are just pvssies afraid of getting tried to start with.

So in summary kids are Pvssies with no empathy.

To be fair, the "weakness" of the youngest generation is a product of the era in which they were born and raised. I mean, had that person been born earlier or later in time, he or she would be a different person just due to upbringing.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 8:26:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 6:46:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
Not to mention they put too much cream and sugar in their coffee as well as prefer weak coffee. They also like fruity alcoholic beverages or crap mixed with energy drinks because they can't handle whiskey.

I drink red wine, scotch, bourbon, gin and beer.

I do not drink fruity drinks, or mix alcohol with energy drinks (other than the occasional yeager-bomb).
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:15:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...

By avoiding conflict, they can't handle it.
By being coddled, they are sheltered and spoiled.

Empathy is great and all, but it is irrelevant if you are too self-involved to think.
As a pizza driver, do you know how many times I've made teens cry? About three, because I was upset that they screwed up, and it cost me money.
Their defense? I tried. Well, you try wasn't good enough, and that is just mean. Perhaps I should have given him a ribbon.

Maybe this applies to young Millenials or even the next generation, and is clearly a generalization, but I think they are wusses that can't handle failure, conflict, or even empathy.

Conversation has been replaced by texting.
Competition is meaningless if everyone gets a reward.
Hell, you can't even celebrate a kid's birthday without given the attendants a present themselves.
Plus, parents baby their children all the time, even as adults, so why grow up? I work at 811, and I get parents calling for utility locates on their adult child's property (yes, they are old enough to own property, but not make a call to prevent loss of money, service, or death). Mind you, the parent isn't living with them, and they always give me a reason, and it is usually either "they are too busy" or "they are a dumb a$$" (either not knowing they should or the parent not trusting they will).

I don't know, either.
Maybe the generation is just to stupid, and that makes them appear they are wusses.
Schools don't teach as well, students don't know as much. There are people who graduate without knowing how to make change. Basic math.
Technology and TV makes thinking old-fashioned. Facebook is just a circle jerk for people, who use it to find "friends", and by that, people who agree with them about everything. Twice I've known people who were attacked by their "friends" because I defended the contrary opinion to a post. YYW, that is not valuing other opinions.

I think people with intelligence are better than others of their generation, but I think that's always been the case. So, the worthwhile members of DDO are exceptions to this generalization.
My work here is, finally, done.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:36:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 6:32:42 AM, Wylted wrote:
Kids these days are weak. It's not empathy either. You learn empathy by looking at faces a lot while young. This newest generation looks at computer screens. Empathy is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

This is a dumb person's response to not understanding how technology works. The last generation were "screwed up" by Nintendo's, the generation before by televisions, the generation before by radio. Making such general claims about generational technology is useless and indicative of a boring attitude on the part of the speaker.

You'd think with the lack of empathy it would cause kids to possibly be tougher, but it's not the case. It's why the younger people have no work ethic. They just aren't tough enough to handle hard physical labor. They sag their pants because they are trying to look tough by emulating gang members. What kinda pvssy needs to emulate the lowest scum on the planet just to feel and project toughness. The only people going out of their way to project toughness are just pvssies afraid of getting tried to start with.

So in summary kids are Pvssies with no empathy.

Oh god yer so embarrassing.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 4:04:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 2:36:38 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/28/2014 6:32:42 AM, Wylted wrote:
Kids these days are weak. It's not empathy either. You learn empathy by looking at faces a lot while young. This newest generation looks at computer screens. Empathy is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

This is a dumb person's response to not understanding how technology works. The last generation were "screwed up" by Nintendo's, the generation before by televisions, the generation before by radio. Making such general claims about generational technology is useless and indicative of a boring attitude on the part of the speaker.

You'd think with the lack of empathy it would cause kids to possibly be tougher, but it's not the case. It's why the younger people have no work ethic. They just aren't tough enough to handle hard physical labor. They sag their pants because they are trying to look tough by emulating gang members. What kinda pvssy needs to emulate the lowest scum on the planet just to feel and project toughness. The only people going out of their way to project toughness are just pvssies afraid of getting tried to start with.

So in summary kids are Pvssies with no empathy.

Oh god yer so embarrassing.

"Get off mah lawn, hippie!"
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 5:09:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

I very strongly disagree with the underlined portion here. I can grant that our generation places more emphasis on empathy, consensus, and respect than prior generations, but that is by no means a weakness.

Long gone are the days of Herbert Hoover's "rugged individualism." Today it's much more about "respectful togetherness," but, to be honest, I can only see that as an improvement. In a world where people would rather engage in conflict that pursue a diplomatic solution, there will invariably be more enmity, more suffering, and more injustice.

Being about empathy and consensus does not mean that we lack bravery; it means we have bravery and strength of a different kind. We don't shy away from conflict, we simply choose to resolve those conflicts with negotiation vice fisticuffs. And, the "respectful togetherness" approach has, arguably, reduced the amount of conflict present in our lives. Since humans are conflict-prone beings, our newfound ability to act on empathy versus aggression speaks to our strength of character and our ability to master our own aggression. I'm sure Yoda would advice us that this type of strength is infinitely more valuably than brute force or strength in conflict. The decision not to lash out is braver and stronger than the decision to lash out.

In simple terms, we are not a generation of "wusses." We are a generation the cares for are fellow man, and that seeks to resolve conflicts in the least confrontational way. We are a generation of diplomats--and I am proud of that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 5:59:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 2:36:38 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/28/2014 6:32:42 AM, Wylted wrote:
Kids these days are weak. It's not empathy either. You learn empathy by looking at faces a lot while young. This newest generation looks at computer screens. Empathy is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

This is a dumb person's response to not understanding how technology works. The last generation were "screwed up" by Nintendo's, the generation before by televisions, the generation before by radio. Making such general claims about generational technology is useless and indicative of a boring attitude on the part of the speaker.

You'd think with the lack of empathy it would cause kids to possibly be tougher, but it's not the case. It's why the younger people have no work ethic. They just aren't tough enough to handle hard physical labor. They sag their pants because they are trying to look tough by emulating gang members. What kinda pvssy needs to emulate the lowest scum on the planet just to feel and project toughness. The only people going out of their way to project toughness are just pvssies afraid of getting tried to start with.

So in summary kids are Pvssies with no empathy.

Oh god yer so embarrassing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 6:45:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 5:09:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

I very strongly disagree with the underlined portion here. I can grant that our generation places more emphasis on empathy, consensus, and respect than prior generations, but that is by no means a weakness.

I agree that that's the case, and I don't think that he was saying that our doing so 'is' a weakness but rather that it 'makes' us weak in the context of being able to handle conflict where people are not empathetic or respectful. (Weak, in the sense that he used it, means not being able to handle conflict.)

However, I think that he jumps the gun because most young people of all generations don't handle conflict well -and that's not something that's necessarily unique to our situation. Indeed, most people don't handle conflict well -which is why finding someone who does is such a rarity. There may be degrees to which older people who are not Millennials are able to handle conflict, but I think that's probably because they've simply been alive longer.

Where the above are the case, it's not that our generation is necessarily 'weak' because of our values, but rather because of simply being younger -even if the world we grew up in is less difficult to live in than that which our parents did.

Long gone are the days of Herbert Hoover's "rugged individualism." Today it's much more about "respectful togetherness," but, to be honest, I can only see that as an improvement. In a world where people would rather engage in conflict that pursue a diplomatic solution, there will invariably be more enmity, more suffering, and more injustice.

I generally agree, yeah.

Being about empathy and consensus does not mean that we lack bravery; it means we have bravery and strength of a different kind. We don't shy away from conflict, we simply choose to resolve those conflicts with negotiation vice fisticuffs. And, the "respectful togetherness" approach has, arguably, reduced the amount of conflict present in our lives. Since humans are conflict-prone beings, our newfound ability to act on empathy versus aggression speaks to our strength of character and our ability to master our own aggression. I'm sure Yoda would advice us that this type of strength is infinitely more valuably than brute force or strength in conflict. The decision not to lash out is braver and stronger than the decision to lash out.

In simple terms, we are not a generation of "wusses." We are a generation the cares for are fellow man, and that seeks to resolve conflicts in the least confrontational way. We are a generation of diplomats--and I am proud of that.

I agree with that too.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 7:32:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 6:45:58 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/28/2014 5:09:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

I very strongly disagree with the underlined portion here. I can grant that our generation places more emphasis on empathy, consensus, and respect than prior generations, but that is by no means a weakness.

I agree that that's the case, and I don't think that he was saying that our doing so 'is' a weakness but rather that it 'makes' us weak in the context of being able to handle conflict where people are not empathetic or respectful. (Weak, in the sense that he used it, means not being able to handle conflict.)

I don't think it makes us unable to handle conflict--if anything, being able to empathizes with other's feelings and points of view makes us more able to handle conflict in a way that keeps things from escalating.

However, I think that he jumps the gun because most young people of all generations don't handle conflict well -and that's not something that's necessarily unique to our situation. Indeed, most people don't handle conflict well -which is why finding someone who does is such a rarity. There may be degrees to which older people who are not Millennials are able to handle conflict, but I think that's probably because they've simply been alive longer.

That's a good point.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Posts: 4,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 8:27:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 6:46:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
Not to mention they put too much cream and sugar in their coffee as well as prefer weak coffee. They also like fruity alcoholic beverages or crap mixed with energy drinks because they can't handle whiskey.

If I drink black coffee but can only drink hard alcohol with mixers am I only half a wuss? Also, does win count as a fruity alcoholic beverage? I don't know what to think about myself anymore...
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 8:31:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
i think i'm part of this generation because i'm 16 and i need to say that there are, though it may be few, some of us that are not the wusses you say we are
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:01:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 8:27:16 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/28/2014 6:46:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
Not to mention they put too much cream and sugar in their coffee as well as prefer weak coffee. They also like fruity alcoholic beverages or crap mixed with energy drinks because they can't handle whiskey.

If I drink black coffee but can only drink hard alcohol with mixers am I only half a wuss? Also, does win count as a fruity alcoholic beverage? I don't know what to think about myself anymore...

You're good,
But when in doubt, watch some old Westerns and emulate them. Westerns will teach you the proper way to shave, pee, eat and how to live your life like a real man.
Raisor
Posts: 4,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:04:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 12:25:03 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.vanityfair.fr...

Brett Easton Willis thinks that millennials are all, collectively, "wusses." He makes a pretty compelling argument, too. We've been shielded from conflict by our parents, boomers, who "are just too sensitive, too narcissistic, [and] too stupid."

It's not difficult to grant Willis' point that most of us (I use 'us' because I'm among the lot he's talking about) don't handle conflict well, because we were raised to think about other people's feelings, to respect other people's views (no matter how demonstrably absurd) and to avoid conflict at all costs. Seeking consensus replaced seeking the good. Being empathetic replaced being right. That certainly has its benefits, too. It makes the world we live in a little less hard; but it makes the people who live in it weak -which is what Willis is taking about.

What do you guys think about that? I ask, since most of us are among the crowd Willis is referring to...

I find 99% f this sort of social criticism unconvincing because:

a) The same stuff has been said about countless other generations- the hippies were bleeding heart cowards and Jefferson decried the loss of America's agrarian purity. Get off my lawn criticisms are tiresome. Really most of what is being talked about has existed forever. There have always been conflict-averse people, people who are less resilient, people prone to mental health issues. The criticisms just use the way these issues interact with new technology to make them seem like a new "phenomenon."

b) It doesn't resonate with much of my own experience. I know millennials who have joined the armed forces, worked manual labor jobs to pay for school, bust their asses at competitive white collar jobs, made high risk-reward career switches, started a company valued at 7 figures. Most of the people I know that are +/-7 years from my age surpass would I would consider baseline competency for managing their life.

c) These critique seem focused on some amorphous caricature of the current generation. This caricature doesn't take into account that millennials are just as diverse as older generations. At best this critique applied only to a certain brand of middle class probably suburban raised millennial. I assure you that this caricature bears very little resemblance to the millenials coming out of rural small towns etc.

d) The tone of this critique is inflammatory and counter productive, even if some of the trends are legitimate the overall assessment is off-base. As a counterpoint to this critique, I know a company that did an internal review of job satisfaction and performance reviews. They found that young employees tended to be less satisfied with the same typed of feedback that left older employees more satisfied. The conclusion was that older employees tended to have the philosophy "no news is good news" while younger employees felt unsure of their performance if they were not given positive reviews. The solution was to change the type of feedback given to younger employees to be clear where they stood.

The type of approach I just sketched acknowledges that viewing lack of positive feedback as a bad sign isn't being a "wuss," its just a different communication paradigm. It isn't better or worse, it's just different. Problems only arise when these different understanding of social norms lead to misunderstanding.

e) Most of the arguments are just BAD. Posting pictures on facebook or whatever doesn't make you a narcissist. The stuff about being afraid of criticism just doesnt make sense to me. The propagation of easy media means criticism has exploded, there are tons of really negative cultural critiques on homegrown projects. Anyone who has ever read the comments on youtube and reddit knows that negativity on the internet is NOT in short supply. These commentaries just pull new things the generation is doing because of new technology and build a case for what that's indicative of some disorder.
Raisor
Posts: 4,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:12:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:01:30 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/28/2014 8:27:16 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/28/2014 6:46:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
Not to mention they put too much cream and sugar in their coffee as well as prefer weak coffee. They also like fruity alcoholic beverages or crap mixed with energy drinks because they can't handle whiskey.

If I drink black coffee but can only drink hard alcohol with mixers am I only half a wuss? Also, does win count as a fruity alcoholic beverage? I don't know what to think about myself anymore...

You're good,
But when in doubt, watch some old Westerns and emulate them. Westerns will teach you the proper way to shave, pee, eat and how to live your life like a real man.

I keep waiting for outlaws to take over my town in a manner symbolic of the broader repression of free political expression so I can run them out of town at high noon, but then I get worried that other people will think I'm too insensitive to the political opinions of outlaws. It's also hard for me to reconcile my dedication to pacifism with the brutality of wild west justice.

Ill just up it to two cups of coffee a day and start wearing boots.
thett3
Posts: 14,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:16:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sort of relevant, a lot of the problems with the current generation I would argue is attributable to shifts in parenting that occurred after the late 70s or so. If millenials really are risk averse "wusses", much of the blame can be squarely placed on the child raising norms that pretty much keep them from taking any risks or asserting any independence at all. Everyone should read this article although it is very long: http://www.theatlantic.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:18:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:16:39 PM, thett3 wrote:
Sort of relevant, a lot of the problems with the current generation I would argue is attributable to shifts in parenting that occurred after the late 70s or so. If millenials really are risk averse "wusses", much of the blame can be squarely placed on the child raising norms that pretty much keep them from taking any risks or asserting any independence at all. Everyone should read this article although it is very long: http://www.theatlantic.com...

"One common concern of parents these days is that children grow up too fast. But sometimes it seems as if children don"t get the space to grow up at all; they just become adept at mimicking the habits of adulthood. As Hart"s research shows, children used to gradually take on responsibilities, year by year. They crossed the road, went to the store; eventually some of them got small neighborhood jobs. Their pride was wrapped up in competence and independence, which grew as they tried and mastered activities they hadn"t known how to do the previous year. But these days, middle-class children, at least, skip these milestones. They spend a lot of time in the company of adults, so they can talk and think like them, but they never build up the confidence to be truly independent and self-reliant."
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:20:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"In an essay called "The Play Deficit," Peter Gray, the Boston College psychologist, chronicles the fallout from the loss of the old childhood culture, and it"s a familiar list of the usual ills attributed to Millennials: depression, narcissism, and a decline in empathy. In the past decade, the percentage of college-age kids taking psychiatric medication has spiked, according to a 2012 study by the American College Counseling Association. Practicing psychologists have written (in this magazine and others) about the unique identity crisis this generation faces"a fear of growing up and, in the words of Brooke Donatone, a New York"based therapist, an inability "to think for themselves."

In his essay, Gray highlights the work of Kyung-Hee Kim, an educational psychologist at the College of William and Mary and the author of the 2011 paper "The Creativity Crisis." Kim has analyzed results from the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking and found that American children"s scores have declined steadily across the past decade or more. The data show that children have become:

less emotionally expressive, less energetic, less talkative and verbally expressive, less humorous, less imaginative, less unconventional, less lively and passionate, less perceptive, less apt to connect seemingly irrelevant things, less synthesizing, and less likely to see things from a different angle.

The largest drop, Kim noted, has been in the measure of "elaboration," or the ability to take an idea and expand on it in a novel way.

The stereotypes about Millennials have alarmed researchers and parents enough that they"ve started pushing back against the culture of parental control. Many recent parenting books have called for a retreat, among them Duct Tape Parenting, Baby Knows Best, and the upcoming The Kids Will Be Fine. In her excellent new book, All Joy and No Fun, Jennifer Senior takes the route that parents are making themselves miserable by believing they always have to maximize their children"s happiness and success."
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 12:51:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 8:26:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/28/2014 6:46:05 AM, Wylted wrote:
Not to mention they put too much cream and sugar in their coffee as well as prefer weak coffee. They also like fruity alcoholic beverages or crap mixed with energy drinks because they can't handle whiskey.

I drink red wine, scotch, bourbon, gin and beer.

Scotch, bourbon, and beer are definitely stereotyped, "masculine" drinks. I dislike both of the first two and only like some of the lighter beers.

@Wylted - I am definitely your white wine, mimosa, fruity alcoholic beverage-drinking person. I hate coffee (even with sweetener and cream) too. I guess I fit that definition, lol...though, I am not a fan of energy drinks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...