Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Update on my thoughts on equalism

ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:25:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

Yeah...
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:39:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:25:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

Yeah...

I was so foolish to ever think otherwise. Forgiveness my arse.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:39:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:39:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:25:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

Yeah...

I was so foolish to ever think otherwise. Forgiveness my arse.

You should PM me.
Tsar of DDO
apb4y
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 12:15:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why should people be equal? We enslave other animals for food, labour and companionship; it seems utterly hypocritical to me that we not be allowed to do the same with humans, like we did for hundreds of thousands of years. I'm not saying that slaves deserve to be mistreated, but I can't see the inherent immorality of slavery.

Also, why should we have social justice? If the poor aren't willing to overthrow the rich with their superior numbers, then why shouldn't the rich exploit them? If women don't yank men's heartstrings in order to get equal treatment, how can they demand it as of right? If the public vote for corrupt politicians, why should they complain when those politicians take bribes and strip the Middle East of its oil?

My main problem with all of these issues is that people take emotionally-based stances instead of practical ones. We outlawed slavery because it empowers abusers. We don't exploit the poor because we fear rebellion. We give women rights because we want our daughters to be successful and our wives to stop withholding sex from us. We root out corrupt politicians because we don't trust them.

Blunt honesty is more respectable than goody-two-shoes crap.
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 6:17:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

You're late to the party.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:38:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

About time you see there is no saving me.
Jeesh!

Actually, what did you mean by equal, if they rot in Hell. Wait, do you believe in hell?
I be confuse.
My work here is, finally, done.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:19:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

What if their true crime is in fact getting themselves sent to hell - an infinitely evil act to match an infinite suffering, no?
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:22:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:19:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

What if their true crime is in fact getting themselves sent to hell - an infinitely evil act to match an infinite suffering, no?

The assertion that a finite being can perform an infinitely evil act is dubious one at best. And is almost certainly not what Annie is referring to. The concept that life is finite is significantly more plausible than one life can perform an infinite evil.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:25:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:22:10 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:19:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

What if their true crime is in fact getting themselves sent to hell - an infinitely evil act to match an infinite suffering, no?

The assertion that a finite being can perform an infinitely evil act is dubious one at best. And is almost certainly not what Annie is referring to. The concept that life is finite is significantly more plausible than one life can perform an infinite evil.

In this case, infinite evil simply means passing up infinite goodness (heaven) for infinite suffering (hell). What could be more evil than this?
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:25:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

So you wish justice, fine. I would argue that is immoral. But what on earth justifies infinite torture as justice? Do you know just how big infinity is? Start with Graham's number and then rethink your stance on wishing hell on people.

http://youtu.be...

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

I follow you.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.

Better, but still awfully malevolent thinking.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:30:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

My child, it is our duty to drag those below us kicking and screaming into the light.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.

1. This is tu quoque fallacy
2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way
3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:32:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:25:37 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

So you wish justice, fine. I would argue that is immoral. But what on earth justifies infinite torture as justice? Do you know just how big infinity is? Start with Graham's number and then rethink your stance on wishing hell on people.
I do. And trust me, I've never hated anyone like these three people right now.

http://youtu.be...

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

I follow you.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.

Better, but still awfully malevolent thinking.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:35:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:32:08 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:25:37 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

So you wish justice, fine. I would argue that is immoral. But what on earth justifies infinite torture as justice? Do you know just how big infinity is? Start with Graham's number and then rethink your stance on wishing hell on people.
I do. And trust me, I've never hated anyone like these three people right now.

Then you are also aware that your position is malevolent. And you are aware that whatever those people of done would never justify someone bestowing infinite torture upon them.

http://youtu.be...

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

I follow you.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.

Better, but still awfully malevolent thinking.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:40:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:35:26 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:32:08 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:25:37 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

So you wish justice, fine. I would argue that is immoral. But what on earth justifies infinite torture as justice? Do you know just how big infinity is? Start with Graham's number and then rethink your stance on wishing hell on people.
I do. And trust me, I've never hated anyone like these three people right now.

Then you are also aware that your position is malevolent. And you are aware that whatever those people of done would never justify someone bestowing infinite torture upon them.

If I ever get near them, they'll be WISHING for infinite torture.

http://youtu.be...

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

I follow you.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.

Better, but still awfully malevolent thinking.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.

1. This is tu quoque fallacy

Still makes sense though.

2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way

Wow. Such confidence. Already asserting yourself as the truth.

3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 10:59:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.

1. This is tu quoque fallacy

Still makes sense though.

That's not an argument.

2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way

Wow. Such confidence. Already asserting yourself as the truth.

Why would I assert something that I thought was false? Address the argument, or don't bother responding at all.

3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.

I don't believe everything is baseless, nor that there aren't moral answers, regardless of what the cognitivism of 'morality' is/isn't.

This is also as homenum argumentation, as you are not addressing the arguments and instead are attacking me. Are you actually going to make a valid point? It doesn't even need to be sound, just valid.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:07:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 10:59:24 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.

1. This is tu quoque fallacy

Still makes sense though.

That's not an argument.

Neither was your response.

2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way

Wow. Such confidence. Already asserting yourself as the truth.

Why would I assert something that I thought was false? Address the argument, or don't bother responding at all.

Nothing you said is wrong except for wanting justice to be immoral. The issue is it doesn't align with your beliefs.

3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.

I don't believe everything is baseless, nor that there aren't moral answers, regardless of what the cognitivism of 'morality' is/isn't.

Then you're not a nihilist, since nihilism entails not only no morals but that life is meaningless.

This is also as homenum argumentation, as you are not addressing the arguments and instead are attacking me. Are you actually going to make a valid point? It doesn't even need to be sound, just valid.

I'm attacking the contradictions you hold, not you, so no, it isn't ad hom.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:19:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

Do people acquire this inequality based on their actions or just because they were born different and deserve to rot?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:20:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 11:07:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 10:59:24 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.

1. This is tu quoque fallacy

Still makes sense though.

That's not an argument.

Neither was your response.

My original post was.

2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way

Wow. Such confidence. Already asserting yourself as the truth.

Why would I assert something that I thought was false? Address the argument, or don't bother responding at all.

Nothing you said is wrong except for wanting justice to be immoral. The issue is it doesn't align with your beliefs.

That is not addressing the arguments.

I made 2 points.

1. Wanting justice is generally immoral (which I argue is because it wishes for additional unnecessary suffering)
2. Even assuming justice is moral, wishing for eternal torture is most certainly not, and malicious, since it is infinitely disproportionate.

The latter point assumes my opponents (Esocial's) beliefs. Hence your point, even if true, is completely irrelevant.

3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.

I don't believe everything is baseless, nor that there aren't moral answers, regardless of what the cognitivism of 'morality' is/isn't.

Then you're not a nihilist, since nihilism entails not only no morals but that life is meaningless.

False. There are many forms of nihilism, and the general principle is the rejection of intrinsic, or objective (universal) moral values. I hold that moral values are plastic to the situation and to the physical entities involved. Subjective and relative.

Moreover I hold that morality is non-cognitive, hence while morality is a meaningless concept, the issues of ideal behavior map pretty much the same way onto what would otherwise be regarded as 'moral'.

All this aside.... None of this addresses my original points, and hence is a big fat as homenum. Even if my position is completely contradictory to the statement, it has no influence on whether or not the statement is true or false. Your method of argumentation is both asinine, and rather childish.

This is also as homenum argumentation, as you are not addressing the arguments and instead are attacking me. Are you actually going to make a valid point? It doesn't even need to be sound, just valid.

I'm attacking the contradictions you hold, not you, so no, it isn't ad hom.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:29:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 11:20:05 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 11:07:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 10:59:24 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.

1. This is tu quoque fallacy

Still makes sense though.

That's not an argument.

Neither was your response.

My original post was.

2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way

Wow. Such confidence. Already asserting yourself as the truth.

Why would I assert something that I thought was false? Address the argument, or don't bother responding at all.

Nothing you said is wrong except for wanting justice to be immoral. The issue is it doesn't align with your beliefs.

That is not addressing the arguments.

I made 2 points.

1. Wanting justice is generally immoral (which I argue is because it wishes for additional unnecessary suffering)
2. Even assuming justice is moral, wishing for eternal torture is most certainly not, and malicious, since it is infinitely disproportionate.

The latter point assumes my opponents (Esocial's) beliefs. Hence your point, even if true, is completely irrelevant.

3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.

I don't believe everything is baseless, nor that there aren't moral answers, regardless of what the cognitivism of 'morality' is/isn't.

Then you're not a nihilist, since nihilism entails not only no morals but that life is meaningless.

False. There are many forms of nihilism, and the general principle is the rejection of intrinsic, or objective (universal) moral values. I hold that moral values are plastic to the situation and to the physical entities involved. Subjective and relative.

Moreover I hold that morality is non-cognitive, hence while morality is a meaningless concept, the issues of ideal behavior map pretty much the same way onto what would otherwise be regarded as 'moral'.

All this aside.... None of this addresses my original points, and hence is a big fat as homenum. Even if my position is completely contradictory to the statement, it has no influence on whether or not the statement is true or false. Your method of argumentation is both asinine, and rather childish.

Apparently you lack basic reading comprehension, since I told you I wasn't challenging your argument, but rather that it was YOU who held that position in relation to other beliefs of yours.

This is also as homenum argumentation, as you are not addressing the arguments and instead are attacking me. Are you actually going to make a valid point? It doesn't even need to be sound, just valid.

I'm attacking the contradictions you hold, not you, so no, it isn't ad hom.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 5:11:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 11:19:16 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

Do people acquire this inequality based on their actions or just because they were born different and deserve to rot?

The former.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,092
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 7:52:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

A punishment that is infinite in length isn't necessarily infinite in degree. Punishments don't reflect crimes committed in time. That's why acts which take a moment to complete get the punishment of life imprisonment.

But, as it is, the punishment reflects the crime committed in severity, not in length of time.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:03:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/29/2014 7:52:05 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

A punishment that is infinite in length isn't necessarily infinite in degree.

How so? Inless you are going to argue that the degree of punishment decreases over time with a 1/(n^2) series or something then punishment will never converge on something finite. Lol.

Punishments don't reflect crimes committed in time. That's why acts which take a moment to complete get the punishment of life imprisonment.

Sure. Yet the idea of us committing an infinitely evil crime is a highly dubious one.

But, as it is, the punishment reflects the crime committed in severity, not in length of time.

Sure.
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,092
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:06:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/29/2014 8:03:44 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/29/2014 7:52:05 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

A punishment that is infinite in length isn't necessarily infinite in degree.

How so? Inless you are going to argue that the degree of punishment decreases over time with a 1/(n^2) series or something then punishment will never converge on something finite. Lol.


Because one refers to the magnitude of the degree of the punishment, the other refers to the length of the punishment.

If your punishment was to never be able to eat vegetables again, for all eternity, would that be an infinite punishment? Yes, it's infinite in length. No, it's not infinite in degree.

Punishments don't reflect crimes committed in time. That's why acts which take a moment to complete get the punishment of life imprisonment.

Sure. Yet the idea of us committing an infinitely evil crime is a highly dubious one.

But, as it is, the punishment reflects the crime committed in severity, not in length of time.

Sure.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:13:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 12:15:06 AM, apb4y wrote:
Why should people be equal? We enslave other animals for food, labour and companionship; it seems utterly hypocritical to me that we not be allowed to do the same with humans, like we did for hundreds of thousands of years. I'm not saying that slaves deserve to be mistreated, but I can't see the inherent immorality of slavery.

Also, why should we have social justice? If the poor aren't willing to overthrow the rich with their superior numbers, then why shouldn't the rich exploit them? If women don't yank men's heartstrings in order to get equal treatment, how can they demand it as of right? If the public vote for corrupt politicians, why should they complain when those politicians take bribes and strip the Middle East of its oil?

My main problem with all of these issues is that people take emotionally-based stances instead of practical ones. We outlawed slavery because it empowers abusers. We don't exploit the poor because we fear rebellion. We give women rights because we want our daughters to be successful and our wives to stop withholding sex from us. We root out corrupt politicians because we don't trust them.

Blunt honesty is more respectable than goody-two-shoes crap.

WE GIVE women rights ? Are "we" men? Naw, dude. Women fought and earned these rights many times over. I hope your post is satirical.