Jump to topic:

Update on my thoughts on equalism

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I no longer think everyone is equal. Some people deserve to rot in Hell.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:25:10 PM
At 9/27/2014 11:22:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Yeah...
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:39:07 PM
At 9/27/2014 11:25:10 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah...

I was so foolish to ever think otherwise. Forgiveness my arse.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:39:55 PM
At 9/27/2014 11:39:07 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/27/2014 11:25:10 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah...

I was so foolish to ever think otherwise. Forgiveness my arse.

You should PM me.
Tsar of DDO
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 12:15:06 AM
Why should people be equal? We enslave other animals for food, labour and companionship; it seems utterly hypocritical to me that we not be allowed to do the same with humans, like we did for hundreds of thousands of years. I'm not saying that slaves deserve to be mistreated, but I can't see the inherent immorality of slavery.

Also, why should we have social justice? If the poor aren't willing to overthrow the rich with their superior numbers, then why shouldn't the rich exploit them? If women don't yank men's heartstrings in order to get equal treatment, how can they demand it as of right? If the public vote for corrupt politicians, why should they complain when those politicians take bribes and strip the Middle East of its oil?

My main problem with all of these issues is that people take emotionally-based stances instead of practical ones. We outlawed slavery because it empowers abusers. We don't exploit the poor because we fear rebellion. We give women rights because we want our daughters to be successful and our wives to stop withholding sex from us. We root out corrupt politicians because we don't trust them.

Blunt honesty is more respectable than goody-two-shoes crap.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 6:17:51 AM

You're late to the party.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:38:27 AM

About time you see there is no saving me.
Jeesh!

Actually, what did you mean by equal, if they rot in Hell. Wait, do you believe in hell?
I be confuse.
My work here is, finally, done.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:19:16 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:08:58 PM, Envisage wrote:

That's a rather malevolent mindset that you have there. You would wish eternal torture on some people, what could someone possible do to deserve eternal torture? No finite crime could ever compare to that.

To wish such seems rather short-sighted and quite frankly disgusting. Wishing for justice is debatably immoral, but wishing infinite pain is definitely so.

What if their true crime is in fact getting themselves sent to hell - an infinitely evil act to match an infinite suffering, no?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:22:10 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:19:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

What if their true crime is in fact getting themselves sent to hell - an infinitely evil act to match an infinite suffering, no?

The assertion that a finite being can perform an infinitely evil act is dubious one at best. And is almost certainly not what Annie is referring to. The concept that life is finite is significantly more plausible than one life can perform an infinite evil.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:25:24 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:22:10 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:19:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

The assertion that a finite being can perform an infinitely evil act is dubious one at best. And is almost certainly not what Annie is referring to. The concept that life is finite is significantly more plausible than one life can perform an infinite evil.

In this case, infinite evil simply means passing up infinite goodness (heaven) for infinite suffering (hell). What could be more evil than this?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:25:37 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:19:59 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

It could be that I am terribly, TERRIBLY upset with someone (three people to be exact) right now. So much so that I can't be near them otherwise God knows what I'll do.

It might be immoral, but if I could stomach it, I'd put them through Hell on earth. They can't be saved. They can't be helped. They don't regret their actions. They should pay, at least in my opinion, for their sins.

So you wish justice, fine. I would argue that is immoral. But what on earth justifies infinite torture as justice? Do you know just how big infinity is? Start with Graham's number and then rethink your stance on wishing hell on people.

http://youtu.be...

You would think after someone's forgiven once, and given a second chance- not even SECOND because time and time and time again, they'd be given chances, that they'd learn from the chance that they got, the forgiveness they received, the MERCY they were blessed with- but NO. They just HAD to go f*ck up their chances again.

I follow you.

So they deserve eternal damnation, or at least until they're burnt so badly that they become pure.

Better, but still awfully malevolent thinking.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM

Says the nihilist who argued raped women should be euthanised.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:30:12 PM

My child, it is our duty to drag those below us kicking and screaming into the light.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:26:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

1. This is tu quoque fallacy
2. That wouldn't change the truth of my argument in this thread either way
3. The title of the debate isn't my position
4. What does my nihilism have to do with this?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:32:08 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:25:37 PM, Envisage wrote:

So you wish justice, fine. I would argue that is immoral. But what on earth justifies infinite torture as justice? Do you know just how big infinity is? Start with Graham's number and then rethink your stance on wishing hell on people.
I do. And trust me, I've never hated anyone like these three people right now.

I follow you.

Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:35:26 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:32:08 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Then you are also aware that your position is malevolent. And you are aware that whatever those people of done would never justify someone bestowing infinite torture upon them.

I follow you.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:40:02 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:35:26 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 9:32:08 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Then you are also aware that your position is malevolent. And you are aware that whatever those people of done would never justify someone bestowing infinite torture upon them.

If I ever get near them, they'll be WISHING for infinite torture.

I follow you.

Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:31:25 PM, Envisage wrote:

Still makes sense though.

Wow. Such confidence. Already asserting yourself as the truth.

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 10:59:24 PM
At 9/28/2014 10:49:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That's not an argument.

Why would I assert something that I thought was false? Address the argument, or don't bother responding at all.

If you believe everything is baseless and there are no morals, you can't turn around and say Esocial's thoughts are unjust/immoral.

I don't believe everything is baseless, nor that there aren't moral answers, regardless of what the cognitivism of 'morality' is/isn't.

This is also as homenum argumentation, as you are not addressing the arguments and instead are attacking me. Are you actually going to make a valid point? It doesn't even need to be sound, just valid.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:07:20 PM
At 9/28/2014 10:59:24 PM, Envisage wrote:

That's not an argument.

Neither was your response.

Why would I assert something that I thought was false? Address the argument, or don't bother responding at all.

Nothing you said is wrong except for wanting justice to be immoral. The issue is it doesn't align with your beliefs.

I don't believe everything is baseless, nor that there aren't moral answers, regardless of what the cognitivism of 'morality' is/isn't.

Then you're not a nihilist, since nihilism entails not only no morals but that life is meaningless.

This is also as homenum argumentation, as you are not addressing the arguments and instead are attacking me. Are you actually going to make a valid point? It doesn't even need to be sound, just valid.

I'm attacking the contradictions you hold, not you, so no, it isn't ad hom.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:19:16 PM

Do people acquire this inequality based on their actions or just because they were born different and deserve to rot?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:20:05 PM
At 9/28/2014 11:07:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That's not an argument.

My original post was.

Nothing you said is wrong except for wanting justice to be immoral. The issue is it doesn't align with your beliefs.

That is not addressing the arguments.

I made 2 points.

1. Wanting justice is generally immoral (which I argue is because it wishes for additional unnecessary suffering)
2. Even assuming justice is moral, wishing for eternal torture is most certainly not, and malicious, since it is infinitely disproportionate.

The latter point assumes my opponents (Esocial's) beliefs. Hence your point, even if true, is completely irrelevant.

Then you're not a nihilist, since nihilism entails not only no morals but that life is meaningless.

False. There are many forms of nihilism, and the general principle is the rejection of intrinsic, or objective (universal) moral values. I hold that moral values are plastic to the situation and to the physical entities involved. Subjective and relative.

Moreover I hold that morality is non-cognitive, hence while morality is a meaningless concept, the issues of ideal behavior map pretty much the same way onto what would otherwise be regarded as 'moral'.

All this aside.... None of this addresses my original points, and hence is a big fat as homenum. Even if my position is completely contradictory to the statement, it has no influence on whether or not the statement is true or false. Your method of argumentation is both asinine, and rather childish.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 11:29:01 PM
At 9/28/2014 11:20:05 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/28/2014 11:07:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That's not an argument.

My original post was.

That is not addressing the arguments.

I made 2 points.

1. Wanting justice is generally immoral (which I argue is because it wishes for additional unnecessary suffering)
2. Even assuming justice is moral, wishing for eternal torture is most certainly not, and malicious, since it is infinitely disproportionate.

The latter point assumes my opponents (Esocial's) beliefs. Hence your point, even if true, is completely irrelevant.

False. There are many forms of nihilism, and the general principle is the rejection of intrinsic, or objective (universal) moral values. I hold that moral values are plastic to the situation and to the physical entities involved. Subjective and relative.

Moreover I hold that morality is non-cognitive, hence while morality is a meaningless concept, the issues of ideal behavior map pretty much the same way onto what would otherwise be regarded as 'moral'.

All this aside.... None of this addresses my original points, and hence is a big fat as homenum. Even if my position is completely contradictory to the statement, it has no influence on whether or not the statement is true or false. Your method of argumentation is both asinine, and rather childish.

Apparently you lack basic reading comprehension, since I told you I wasn't challenging your argument, but rather that it was YOU who held that position in relation to other beliefs of yours.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 5:11:37 AM
At 9/28/2014 11:19:16 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Do people acquire this inequality based on their actions or just because they were born different and deserve to rot?

The former.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 7:52:05 AM

A punishment that is infinite in length isn't necessarily infinite in degree. Punishments don't reflect crimes committed in time. That's why acts which take a moment to complete get the punishment of life imprisonment.

But, as it is, the punishment reflects the crime committed in severity, not in length of time.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:03:44 AM
At 9/29/2014 7:52:05 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

A punishment that is infinite in length isn't necessarily infinite in degree.

How so? Inless you are going to argue that the degree of punishment decreases over time with a 1/(n^2) series or something then punishment will never converge on something finite. Lol.

Punishments don't reflect crimes committed in time. That's why acts which take a moment to complete get the punishment of life imprisonment.

Sure. Yet the idea of us committing an infinitely evil crime is a highly dubious one.

But, as it is, the punishment reflects the crime committed in severity, not in length of time.

Sure.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:06:10 AM
At 9/29/2014 8:03:44 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/29/2014 7:52:05 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

A punishment that is infinite in length isn't necessarily infinite in degree.

How so? Inless you are going to argue that the degree of punishment decreases over time with a 1/(n^2) series or something then punishment will never converge on something finite. Lol.

Because one refers to the magnitude of the degree of the punishment, the other refers to the length of the punishment.

If your punishment was to never be able to eat vegetables again, for all eternity, would that be an infinite punishment? Yes, it's infinite in length. No, it's not infinite in degree.

Punishments don't reflect crimes committed in time. That's why acts which take a moment to complete get the punishment of life imprisonment.

Sure. Yet the idea of us committing an infinitely evil crime is a highly dubious one.

Sure.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:13:39 AM
At 9/28/2014 12:15:06 AM, apb4y wrote:
Why should people be equal? We enslave other animals for food, labour and companionship; it seems utterly hypocritical to me that we not be allowed to do the same with humans, like we did for hundreds of thousands of years. I'm not saying that slaves deserve to be mistreated, but I can't see the inherent immorality of slavery.

Also, why should we have social justice? If the poor aren't willing to overthrow the rich with their superior numbers, then why shouldn't the rich exploit them? If women don't yank men's heartstrings in order to get equal treatment, how can they demand it as of right? If the public vote for corrupt politicians, why should they complain when those politicians take bribes and strip the Middle East of its oil?

My main problem with all of these issues is that people take emotionally-based stances instead of practical ones. We outlawed slavery because it empowers abusers. We don't exploit the poor because we fear rebellion. We give women rights because we want our daughters to be successful and our wives to stop withholding sex from us. We root out corrupt politicians because we don't trust them.

Blunt honesty is more respectable than goody-two-shoes crap.

WE GIVE women rights ? Are "we" men? Naw, dude. Women fought and earned these rights many times over. I hope your post is satirical.