Jump to topic:

Is having a child the most selfish act?

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 3:50:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Human Capital Theory would argue that we have children to increase our own resource network and increase our capital later in life, when we will presumably will lose our income base.

Rational Choice Theory would argue that we have children when we believe the act would cause the greatest net benefit to us, be it through social or financial gains.

Plus, biologically speaking, having kids is all about the ultimate selfishness of passing on our genes.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 6:57:47 PM
At 10/2/2014 3:50:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Human Capital Theory would argue that we have children to increase our own resource network and increase our capital later in life, when we will presumably will lose our income base.

Rational Choice Theory would argue that we have children when we believe the act would cause the greatest net benefit to us, be it through social or financial gains.

Plus, biologically speaking, having kids is all about the ultimate selfishness of passing on our genes.

Excellent response :)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Skikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 7:28:34 PM
At 10/2/2014 1:22:08 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
nac

The concept of measuring the selfishness of an act is illogical, as all acts done by an individual are motivated purely by the interest of said individual.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 7:34:44 PM
At 10/2/2014 6:57:47 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

=)
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Natec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 8:01:23 PM

Plus, a lot of moms try to get their kids into a good college for bragging rights. You can't go to book club without telling the other moms that your son is in college and is going to be a doctor. Clearly, it's all based off of their own selfish goals.
Dude... stop...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 8:09:33 PM

Meh. I don't think having a child is selfish (in the sense of being motivated by "pure" (whatever that means] self-interest), nor do I think that analyzing childbirth by finding its retro-genesis in interiority is necessarily either thought-provoking or interesting. Plus the linguistic naturalization of contingent social processes ("biologically-speaking") is gross or whatever.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 8:13:08 PM
nac

Everything is selfish.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 12:45:29 AM
At 10/2/2014 8:09:33 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Meh. I don't think having a child is selfish (in the sense of being motivated by "pure" (whatever that means] self-interest), nor do I think that analyzing childbirth by finding its retro-genesis in interiority is necessarily either thought-provoking or interesting. Plus the linguistic naturalization of contingent social processes ("biologically-speaking") is gross or whatever.

Nigga you sound like you reading a goddamn script.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:24:14 AM
At 10/3/2014 12:45:29 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 10/2/2014 8:09:33 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Nigga you sound like you reading a goddamn script.

Just how I do, mang
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 2:20:35 PM
At 10/2/2014 1:30:58 PM, Bchatman wrote:
Why would having a child be selfish?
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 2:20:49 PM
At 10/4/2014 8:25:16 AM, Defro wrote:
But then again, choosing not to have a child when your partner wants one can also be considered selfish.
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 3:43:34 AM
Yeah, its inherently selfish to have a child. One is bringing another person into a world that has but finite resources, and there is the chance that in life, your child will get something, and by doing so deprives another of having the same.

Then there is the environmental impact, the obvious benefits of having someone to help take care of you when your older, etc. and yeah, pretty obvious having a child is a selfish act
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 11:38:15 AM
Humans are biologically programmed to feel satisfaction from raising a family. I think this satisfaction is the primary motive when choosing to have children.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 11:45:48 AM
At 10/6/2014 3:43:34 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
Yeah, its inherently selfish to have a child. One is bringing another person into a world that has but finite resources, and there is the chance that in life, your child will get something, and by doing so deprives another of having the same.

Yes, but this must be weighed against the fact that you caused someone to be alive who wouldn't have been alive otherwise.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 12:54:16 PM
At 10/6/2014 11:45:48 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yes, but this must be weighed against the fact that you caused someone to be alive who wouldn't have been alive otherwise.

I get the sense you are imying this is a positive thing. But why is it a positive?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 1:04:42 PM
At 10/6/2014 12:54:16 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 10/6/2014 11:45:48 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I get the sense you are imying this is a positive thing. But why is it a positive?

I'm not implying that having a child is necessarily a positive thing. What I'm saying is that, in considering whether or not "bringing another person into the world" is positive, one can't just look at what is taken away from others, because that amounts to ignoring what those things are taken away for i.e., the justification. You're basically saying that someone's life is never worth lowering the standard of living for someone else by any mount.
RoyalAries
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 1:16:32 PM
I think it's not. Once you have a child you don't have the freedoms you had before. When it's an infant you can't leave the first few weeks due to chances of getting sickness. Then when your child is older, you have to hire a sitter to watch him/her. It's probably one of the most selfless acts.
In my opinion abortion is more selfish. You go out, have sex then kill the embryo because a child would be "too much trouble"
"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. -Mark Twain

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

"Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof."
- Ashley Montague

"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same." Unknown
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 7:23:59 PM
nac

Yes. Pretty much any anti-natalist literature (Arthur Schopenhauer, David Benatar, etc.) highlight this as a major consideration in childbirth, since it necessarily is a selfish act, as there is no positive impact on anyone's self interest (since the putative child's self-interest doesn't exist yet) yet carries a plethora of myoptic effects:

1. Consumption of resources for the rest of society, which drives up prices and reduces standard of living
2. Brings a child into existence without it's consent
3. Is in principle birthed to fulfil own desires (for parenthood, etc).
Proudlibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 11:12:14 PM

Or the least selfish act of putting ones self through the physical dangers and discomforts of pregnancy and childbirth for the survival of the species.