Jump to topic:

The power of "the look"

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 8:38:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I finished my driver's ed class on Monday. (Whoohoo!) And as I was walking out of the building, I saw two boys who were about 15 or 16 who had elected themselves the official clowns of my class.

One of them, Kyle, was pushing on the glass door from the outside to keep people inside the building. Cameron stood to the side and watched.

A girl in front of me had a small pushing contest with Kyle, and then he let her out. It was now my turn.

Now Kyle is 6 foot something, and WAY stronger than me. I'm 5 foot 2, and my energy is nil and I'm not very strong. So, I had no desire to tackle the guy.

I stood just in front of the door, put my hand on my hip, and gave him "the look." Cameron said, "Wow! She's just looking at you, man!" When I started staring at him, his confidence levels rapidly plunged, within 30 seconds, he had stopped exerting pressure on the door, and I was able to push it open. He began to apologize, and say "I wasn't even pushing on it!" It was so funny! I let him know it was all right before I left though.

Have you ever found "the look" work in your favor too?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 3:43:15 AM
I'm not a girl, so I can't employ that specific look. I have to employ the guy version, which is more a subtle assertion of the fact that I could beat those idiots up.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 9:10:18 AM
At 10/3/2014 3:43:15 AM, apb4y wrote:
I'm not a girl, so I can't employ that specific look. I have to employ the guy version, which is more a subtle assertion of the fact that I could beat those idiots up.

LOL. :D Makes sense.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:56:04 AM
At 10/2/2014 8:38:39 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
So, I finished my driver's ed class on Monday. (Whoohoo!) And as I was walking out of the building, I saw two boys who were about 15 or 16 who had elected themselves the official clowns of my class.

One of them, Kyle, was pushing on the glass door from the outside to keep people inside the building. Cameron stood to the side and watched.

A girl in front of me had a small pushing contest with Kyle, and then he let her out. It was now my turn.

Now Kyle is 6 foot something, and WAY stronger than me. I'm 5 foot 2, and my energy is nil and I'm not very strong. So, I had no desire to tackle the guy.

I stood just in front of the door, put my hand on my hip, and gave him "the look." Cameron said, "Wow! She's just looking at you, man!" When I started staring at him, his confidence levels rapidly plunged, within 30 seconds, he had stopped exerting pressure on the door, and I was able to push it open. He began to apologize, and say "I wasn't even pushing on it!" It was so funny! I let him know it was all right before I left though.

You should have cold clocked that a**hole in his jaw after he let you out.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:04:36 AM
At 10/3/2014 10:56:04 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Naw, he was just teasing me. He didn't mean any harm.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:07:06 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:04:36 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I don't see how that's funny though...... :P

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:08:14 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:07:06 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I don't either, but he thought it was funny, and the girl in front of me thought it was funny.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:09:21 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:08:14 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

I don't either, but he thought it was funny, and the girl in front of me thought it was funny.

That's weird... o.O. I always wonder why guys think it's funny to pretend to be jerks.

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:22:28 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:09:21 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

That's weird... o.O. I always wonder why guys think it's funny to pretend to be jerks.

It is funny, at least for the one being the jerk.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:29:36 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:22:28 AM, Defro wrote:

It is funny, at least for the one being the jerk.

If a guy were confident of who he was, he wouldn't find the need to prove himself in such ways. I tend to think that actions like these stem from some sort of insecurities.

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:35:55 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:08:14 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

He's in his mid-teens, and he was just goofing off.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:40:16 AM
At 10/3/2014 11:29:36 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

If a guy were confident of who he was, he wouldn't find the need to prove himself in such ways. I tend to think that actions like these stem from some sort of insecurities.

Not necessarily. Some people do it for conformity's sake. But I agree, they do stem from insecurities most of the time.

However, being a jerk can help you in your social life, although I don't know why. In middle school, I was the quiet kid. I was really nice to everyone. But I didn't have friends. I didn't feel a strong bond with any of my classmates. It's like they ignore me. And then I went to the summer camp in another country and I was very excited because it meant I could reinvent myself. I reinvented myself as one of the jerks from my school, and I ended up making great friends that I still keep in touch with. And I truly feel like they are my friends this time, like I would trust them with my life. I even got a girlfriend.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 1:28:31 PM

http://dilbert.com...
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 8:08:27 PM

That would ruin it. "The look" works because they fear her disapproval. If she punches them, she loses her moral high ground.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 9:59:23 PM
At 10/3/2014 8:08:27 PM, apb4y wrote:

That would ruin it. "The look" works because they fear her disapproval. If she punches them, she loses her moral high ground.

Whaaat. You can't disapprove of what someone is doing and punch them in the face??

apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:17:40 PM
At 10/3/2014 9:59:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Whaaat. You can't disapprove of what someone is doing and punch them in the face??

Not unless you're twice their size and your name is "Dad".
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 6:18:16 AM
At 10/3/2014 10:17:40 PM, apb4y wrote:

Steroids, surgery, and legal name change. Voila.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 8:34:41 AM
At 10/4/2014 6:18:16 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Steroids, surgery, and legal name change. Voila.

Lol
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 8:36:35 AM
I scare people irl... so yeah, 'the look' works...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 12:49:50 PM

LOL!! Good one!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 12:51:07 PM
At 10/4/2014 8:36:35 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'm not scary, but my first babysitting job was when I was 13, and I was watching over 6 kids ages 2-11, and four of them were boys. I learned quite a bit.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 10:03:28 PM
At 10/4/2014 8:36:35 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I eat people irl.