Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Would you protect someone who doesn't care?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 8:47:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I remember having a project for doing research on being a police officer and the teacher asked "would you really risk your life and fight for someone who doesn't care about their life?" No one stood up...except me. I heard laughter and i saw shock, i was a bit intimidated, but i looked at the teacher straight in the eyes with such strength and courage because i felt that it was the right thing to do. He saw it as well. Maybe i was a fool being a young boy, but i feel life is sacred.

I stood up because i felt it was my duty as a human being to protect human rights. I would even do it for someone who doesn't care because that person used to be me. I used to not care about whether i lived or died, but seeing others fight for me changed me and made me realize my life had value. It motivated me to keep going.

What are your thoughts?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 9:10:24 PM
At 10/4/2014 9:05:36 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 10/4/2014 9:00:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Wholly depends on the context.

What do you mean?

If someone doesn't care to get a job, I don't care to help them out.
If someone would rather be a booze hound than pick up the pieces, I don't care to help them.
If someone is just going to use herion, I don't think they should get that new organ.

If someone is depressed and doesn't care, that is different than someone who just doesn't care to improve.
My work here is, finally, done.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 9:11:00 PM
At 10/4/2014 9:10:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

What do you mean?

If someone would rather be a booze hound than pick up the pieces, I don't care to help them.
If someone is just going to use herion, I don't think they should get that new organ.

If someone is depressed and doesn't care, that is different than someone who just doesn't care to improve.

Oh i see
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 9:12:43 PM
At 10/4/2014 9:11:00 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

What do you mean?

Oh i see

Some are worth fighting for, other are just lost causes.
Do you agree?
My work here is, finally, done.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2014 9:22:11 PM
At 10/4/2014 9:12:43 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/4/2014 9:11:00 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

What do you mean?

Oh i see

Some are worth fighting for, other are just lost causes.
Do you agree?

Not sure about that to be honest..
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 1:17:20 AM
At 10/4/2014 8:47:10 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I remember having a project for doing research on being a police officer and the teacher asked "would you really risk your life and fight for someone who doesn't care about their life?" No one stood up...except me. I heard laughter and i saw shock, i was a bit intimidated, but i looked at the teacher straight in the eyes with such strength and courage because i felt that it was the right thing to do. He saw it as well. Maybe i was a fool being a young boy, but i feel life is sacred.

I stood up because i felt it was my duty as a human being to protect human rights. I would even do it for someone who doesn't care because that person used to be me. I used to not care about whether i lived or died, but seeing others fight for me changed me and made me realize my life had value. It motivated me to keep going.

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't protect someone who doesn't care unless I care about the person. Every decision we make is fundamentally in our best interests. So even if the person doesn't care, if I love or care about the person, I will definitely protect him or her.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 9:07:37 AM
At 10/8/2014 1:17:20 AM, Defro wrote:
At 10/4/2014 8:47:10 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't protect someone who doesn't care unless I care about the person. Every decision we make is fundamentally in our best interests. So even if the person doesn't care, if I love or care about the person, I will definitely protect him or her.

Very great point, same here.