Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Reason Vs. Emotion: What should guide one?

Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:22:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have always been an emotional person, and yet I have always controlled my feelings, and gone where reason took me. Reason is rational, it is categorical, it is safe. Why not?

I am at a point where I need to remake this decision. Do I do that which is mathematics, and may cause confusion; do I do that which is emptathetic, emotional even when reason is opposed.

I am one of those few people you may meet who holds reason over everything. Even now I often do as I please, following where my reason takes me boldly. It has caused me great difficulties in my life, but it has been my friend.

Should one at the cost of pure reason act, or do something that is motivated by emotion? Should one take a risk, a gamble even when reason states that the probability is a negative result?

So reason supposed a negative result, and yet the heart is ardent, it is obstinate. It follows its own logic. What does one do? When reason is not certain, but only inductive, but the heart is positive. Does one take the risk? Does one gamble?

Reason or emotion? What do I do?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 7:04:47 AM
At 10/8/2014 5:22:42 AM, Ajabi wrote:
I have always been an emotional person, and yet I have always controlled my feelings, and gone where reason took me. Reason is rational, it is categorical, it is safe. Why not?

I am at a point where I need to remake this decision. Do I do that which is mathematics, and may cause confusion; do I do that which is emptathetic, emotional even when reason is opposed.

I am one of those few people you may meet who holds reason over everything. Even now I often do as I please, following where my reason takes me boldly. It has caused me great difficulties in my life, but it has been my friend.

Should one at the cost of pure reason act, or do something that is motivated by emotion? Should one take a risk, a gamble even when reason states that the probability is a negative result?

So reason supposed a negative result, and yet the heart is ardent, it is obstinate. It follows its own logic. What does one do? When reason is not certain, but only inductive, but the heart is positive. Does one take the risk? Does one gamble?

Both. You have to do what makes you feel happy, otherwise you will end up misirible. We are slaves to our emotions in that regards.

Use your reason to we beyond myoptic fulfilments and seek long term emotional accomplishments
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 9:05:40 AM

I have often been in your position several times before so i can relate to how you feel. My brother would always tell me to neglect emotions and listen to reason. When things go wrong, i should simply learn to reason better. You pick both reason and emotion, there's no neglecting one or the other. Both are apart of what makes you and i human beings. You would cease to be you without emotions, therefore you should learn to accept and acknowledge your emotions. Use both to create who you are.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 10:44:46 AM

Depends on the situation and your objective in the situation. Sometimes, emotion is the better path, yet other times reason is the better path.

This reminds me of a tattoo one of the teachers in my school has.
He has a tattoo of a cookie and a broccoli fighting each other.

If you had to choose which to eat, a cookie or a broccoli, which would you choose?
Ultimately, decisions are about happiness.

Those on a diet and are trying to lose weight should follow reason and eat the broccoli even though you really want to eat the cookie because they know that when they are done with their diet, they will be much fitter than before, which would make them happy.

Those not on a diet should just follow their emotions and eat the cookie because it tastes good and brings them happiness.

Both methods of decision making are necessary in your life. Don't stick to one method, because it may not bring you happiness. Only a balance of the two will give you happiness.

Sometimes, using reason to make your decisions may seem "reasonable" but are actually not.

Example:

A man uses reason and decides to put more effort into work so that he can get a promotion and earn a lot of money, which he thinks will ultimately make him and his family happy in the future. But at the same time, he no longer eats dinner or spend time with his family. His children are jealous of their friends who get to play at the park with their dads. His wife is seriously considering a divorce. And he is extremely stressed on work, which he takes out on his family. No one in his family is happy.

However, if he had balanced out reason with emotion, he wouldn't have this problem. He'd still be working hard, but not as hard, meaning he won't get stressed. He'll have time to take his family to the beach and eat dinner with them. While he won't make as much money, he and his family is more happy this way.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 10:48:06 AM
At 10/8/2014 10:44:46 AM, Defro wrote:

Sometimes, using reason to make your decisions may seem "reasonable" but are actually not.

I know this all to fvcking well. I reaffirm today what I learnt all ye years ago: reason, reason, and reason. The only safe, true path is reason.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 10:55:08 AM
At 10/8/2014 10:48:06 AM, Ajabi wrote:

I know this all to fvcking well. I reaffirm today what I learnt all ye years ago: reason, reason, and reason. The only safe, true path is reason.

Reason can also be bad if you are ignorant to certain facts or have been provided false information.

Reason can be dangerous because it comes from what you think is reasonable, not what is actually reasonable. Everyone is biased.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 11:56:51 AM
At 10/8/2014 10:55:08 AM, Defro wrote:

Reason can be dangerous because it comes from what you think is reasonable, not what is actually reasonable. Everyone is biased.

Reason is categorical: it yields the same conclusions for everyone.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 12:29:00 PM

I think he is referring to rationalizing bad decisions.
Like, they'll never miss a candy bar and I am so hungry, so it's okay if I steal it.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 12:48:46 PM
At 10/8/2014 12:29:00 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Like, they'll never miss a candy bar and I am so hungry, so it's okay if I steal it.

Not that, but why this animosity to reason? I mean I believe in God, but when I meet people who oppose God, or even insult Islam so long as they can give a rational argument (even if its flawed: just coherent) I am perfectly fine to talk it out.

When I did once fall for a girl, and many people told me it was "puppy love" I was not offended in the least, surely it could be a possibility, in fact it turned out to be true.

Why do people dislike the truth or alternate views so much? Why is it so wrong to hold contentious views? Is our freedom so limited?

Why does a person get upset if they have gone through sever trauma a few years ago, and you tell them that true trauma is for 7 months, after that you need to get over it. If this person functions mostly normal, is it wrong for you to NOT enable them? Psychologically it would be the rational way to go: to not enable them yet it is seen with contempt.

Why is it that people cannot view things from a rational perspective? I am annoying, I admit that. I try and change it. If someone tells me I am annoying I tell them I agree.

Why hate this critique? What is this animosity, this hatred, this hypocrisy when it comes to reason?
Skikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 1:08:08 PM

You should do what is reasonable. And the most reasonable thing to do is to do what makes you happy.

That may sound nice, but then again doesn't say much. So about your gamble.
You shouldn't focus that much on the probability. You should focus negative outcome of both options and then ask yourself, what would you regret more.
Trying and failing. Or not trying at all.
And then, logically, you do that which you will regret less.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 1:36:15 PM
At 10/8/2014 1:33:21 PM, mortsdor wrote:
Reason alone can't tell you where to go
it just shows you the landscape :P

granted, seeing the landscape properly is rather important in deciding which way you travel... and whether you actually wind up where you wanted to/ where thought you were going.

but reason can't pick a favorite spot, or choose a place to go, without some kind of emotive attachment going on.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 1:38:05 PM

like how one thing connects to another.

rather important in deciding what you pursue... but it's not the impetus for making the decision
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 3:38:52 PM

You need both. Without reason, your emotions will control you to the extent that you will hurt yourself and people around you. Without emotions, your world will lack a color and vibe that makes life good. In order to have a balanced, healthy life, you need both. Both must be held in check by the other.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:32:27 PM
At 10/8/2014 12:48:46 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 10/8/2014 12:29:00 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Not that, but why this animosity to reason?
I never said I have animosity to reason. However, reason, like emotion, has a dark side, too.

But, to answer your question more broadly, I'd say reasons are the antithesis of emotions, and emotions are what make us human.
Why do people have friends? Because they want to socialize. They don't rationalize it, they just have a desire to.
My work here is, finally, done.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 7:16:34 PM

Well said.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 11:26:31 PM
At 10/8/2014 11:56:51 AM, Ajabi wrote:

No it doesn't. What seems reasonable to you may be not be reasonable in another's eyes. No one's reason is absolute.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:49:55 AM
At 10/8/2014 11:26:31 PM, Defro wrote:
At 10/8/2014 11:56:51 AM, Ajabi wrote:

No it doesn't. What seems reasonable to you may be not be reasonable in another's eyes. No one's reason is absolute.

So long as one uses pure reason, the conclusion is categorical. I can debate you on this.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 2:38:46 AM

Reason can also be bad if you are ignorant to certain facts or have been provided false information.

You're in no way attacking reason, then - you're attacking people who only think they are reasonable (but aren't). This is totally irrelevant. A man who actually follows reason will never be wrong.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 2:46:06 AM
Emotions are not some kind of instinctual phenomena - they are the result of the interpretation of sense data in the context of an individual. The mental state and thoughts of the individual are what determines the emotions that individual feels. Emotions depend on the values an individual holds - it cannot be said that, when tortured, a normal man and a masochist have the same emotional reactions. There is no emotion apart from conscious thought and values, and any portrayal of them as opposites is missing this point. Emotions should be determined and in-line with reason at all times.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 3:40:23 AM
At 10/9/2014 2:46:06 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Emotions are not some kind of instinctual phenomena - they are the result of the interpretation of sense data in the context of an individual. The mental state and thoughts of the individual are what determines the emotions that individual feels. Emotions depend on the values an individual holds - it cannot be said that, when tortured, a normal man and a masochist have the same emotional reactions. There is no emotion apart from conscious thought and values, and any portrayal of them as opposites is missing this point. Emotions should be determined and in-line with reason at all times.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 4:20:44 AM
At 10/9/2014 2:46:06 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

People are certainly complex thinking things, and the manner in which they respond to things is definitely dependent upon their interpretation of what's going on.

Values also exist in a complex framework where judgments have been organized to account for/respond to one another (consciously or not), and are even subject to constant revision if the apparent nature of the world (in which those values are based) differs from what was thought before.

However just as reason lies behind the value framework so too does raw emotion and feeling-based reactions... For example Pain, satiation, etc..
what we consider emotions are probably more complex, and our emotional reactions to things do depend on our conceptual framework, but our conceptual framework is largely a product of our nature, and emotional reactions have been with us since our earliest consciousness, not something consciously crafted, rather something that happens spontaneously, which we can then consider.

To consider these spontaneous emotional reactions to the world, and see how you can best ensure that the world is a pleasant place is a pleasant place is sensible.

However there's no reason to pursue anything in the world if those spontaneous emotional reactions, and Raw feelings like pain, are not considered.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 4:24:06 AM
if you reject feeling completely, you have no reason to favor any course of action.

Rather it makes sense to weigh those spontaneous feelings against one another using the apparent nature of the world as your measure.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 8:23:22 AM
I don't think reason and emotion are mutually exclusive. You should definitly pay attention to your emotions in order to be happy, and reason can help you to not do stupid things driven by emotions. Emotions are like the finish line, and reason tells you the most intelligent way to reach there.