Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Introverts: what do you think of Extroverts?

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:51:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm an ambivert, which is someone who has both Extrovert and Introvert qualities. But I tend to act like an extrovert a lot.

I realize I'm in the minority on DDO, and since this is one of the few places where introverts will talk, I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

When I talk to introverts, sometimes I worry I'm talking too much and that I'm annoying them. And other times I feel frustrated because they don't really respond to me, and I'm standing there awkwardly trying to think of something to talk about. But in general, I like being with introverts (when they talk with me) because they tend to really listen, and think about what I'm saying.

So what do you think of extroverts? Do they annoy you, or do you like them?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:58:22 PM
I don't mind extroverts; extreme ones, however, I tend not to be fond of. The types constantly craving for attention; being loud and annoying just to be noticed. It's rubbish. Not suggesting that there aren't introverts as annoying in a different way. There certainly are.
AstridDragonSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:01:46 PM
At 10/8/2014 5:51:49 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I'm an ambivert, which is someone who has both Extrovert and Introvert qualities. But I tend to act like an extrovert a lot.

I realize I'm in the minority on DDO, and since this is one of the few places where introverts will talk, I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

When I talk to introverts, sometimes I worry I'm talking too much and that I'm annoying them. And other times I feel frustrated because they don't really respond to me, and I'm standing there awkwardly trying to think of something to talk about. But in general, I like being with introverts (when they talk with me) because they tend to really listen, and think about what I'm saying.

It seems that this is a common fear among extroverts, that somehow we introverts get annoyed by them because they initiate conversation. Actually, introverts really like that in extroverts. I personally like to meet people, but I'm too shy to initiate the conversation most of the time. But if somebody else comes up and says hi, then I have no problem talking to them. Also, it's nice to be around friendly outgoing people, because then you feel included and not like you're invisible hanging on the fringe of a crowd or something.

If you start to feel awkward because it's hard to keep the conversation going, know that your poor introverted acquaintance is probably feeling just as awkward, because he feels like he ought to be saying something, but just can't think of something to say.

So yeah, I like extroverts, admire them very much, and thank God that he made people like them, or this world would be very lonely. :)
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:04:25 PM
At 10/8/2014 6:01:46 PM, AstridDragonSlayer wrote:

It seems that this is a common fear among extroverts, that somehow we introverts get annoyed by them because they initiate conversation. Actually, introverts really like that in extroverts. I personally like to meet people, but I'm too shy to initiate the conversation most of the time. But if somebody else comes up and says hi, then I have no problem talking to them. Also, it's nice to be around friendly outgoing people, because then you feel included and not like you're invisible hanging on the fringe of a crowd or something.

If you start to feel awkward because it's hard to keep the conversation going, know that your poor introverted acquaintance is probably feeling just as awkward, because he feels like he ought to be saying something, but just can't think of something to say.

So yeah, I like extroverts, admire them very much, and thank God that he made people like them, or this world would be very lonely. :)

Thanks for your perspective. :) That's nice and encouraging to know.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:05:01 PM
At 10/8/2014 5:58:22 PM, Mirza wrote:
I don't mind extroverts; extreme ones, however, I tend not to be fond of. The types constantly craving for attention; being loud and annoying just to be noticed. It's rubbish. Not suggesting that there aren't introverts as annoying in a different way. There certainly are.

Interesting. That makes sense.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:25:12 PM

Extroverts are funny in my opinion. They are very bold and talkative. Sometimes it is overwhelming because your listening and it's like well are ya done talking yet? Ha!
But overall, extroverts do they're part for the introverts and vice versa and even for someone who's a balance as you said yourself are.
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 6:26:57 PM
At 10/8/2014 6:25:12 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:

Extroverts are funny in my opinion. They are very bold and talkative. Sometimes it is overwhelming because your listening and it's like well are ya done talking yet? Ha!
But overall, extroverts do they're part for the introverts and vice versa and even for someone who's a balance as you said yourself are.

Quite understandable. The patience of some introverts is amazing. :D

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 7:19:13 PM

I guess i'm an introvert lol. I'm pretty shy and reserved in real life, but when it comes to certain people, i become very talkative and friendly. Sometimes i don't talk much and other times i do.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 8:13:57 PM
I like them, once they're not mean.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 8:27:08 PM

I used to think that I was an Introvert, but now I realize that the opposite is probably true.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 8:28:59 PM
I love extroverts and introverts alike. My beef with extroverts is that many times they can become attention whores and very often shallow. I have rarely ever ran into that problem with introverts. I tend to form much deeper bonds with introverts, but I have more fun hanging around extroverts in groups.
Nolite Timere
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 9:11:25 PM
As a big introvert, I sometimes envy extroverts for the way they handle social situations like it's nothing. I tend to prefer deep, complex friendships to superfluous ones, so I all of my friends (that's overstating things though) are introverts, that's more my inability to introduce myself than a mental block I have against extroverts. Personally, I think I'd be fine with extroverts, so long as they weren't arrogant and had 150 friends (I don't make friends with people who brag about the quantity of their friendships instead of the quality of their friendships).
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:31:33 AM

We only seem like we're listening in reality we are annoyed you're talking about inconsequential shallow things. Usually I just try to completely avoid people so I can avoid even looking like I'm listening.

I could care less about the weather or how you got cut off in traffic. What's wrong with silence? Why are extroverts so needy for attention? Why not just sit alone in silence?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:35:54 AM
At 10/8/2014 6:01:46 PM, AstridDragonSlayer wrote:

Well I'm a diffeent type of introvert. I actually get pissed when people try to talk to me. I can't understand why they're talkng to me. If I could I would go all day without opening my mouth. when somebody walks up to start a conversation with me because they mistake me for being shy, I just do everything i can to peel myself away from them, unless I'm really bored and then I play games. Like I'll pretend to be crazy or something.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:39:08 AM
I'm an introvert that is good at social dynamics as well. it's wierd. I just prefer to be antisocial. I know at work I'm required to be somewhat of an extrovert so I'm one to the extent I need to be in order to do my job and make the correct friends.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 9:28:49 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:31:33 AM, Wylted wrote:

We only seem like we're listening in reality we are annoyed you're talking about inconsequential shallow things. Usually I just try to completely avoid people so I can avoid even looking like I'm listening.
Interesting.

I could care less about the weather or how you got cut off in traffic. What's wrong with silence? Why are extroverts so needy for attention? Why not just sit alone in silence?
As someone who has extrovert characteristics, I don't think we're necessarily attention seeking. Silence can be awkward, and if you are just sitting next to each other silently, you can't learn anything about the person you are with. We talk about inconsequential things to try to make a connection with you that will start a deep conversation. We aren't shallow, we are just trying to go and make personal connections. We need those connections as much as you need silence.

I know quite a few introverts, and I always try to back off on the energy level to keep them from feeling overwhelmed. I also try to make sure I don't bug them too much. So far, it's worked quite well.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 12:24:20 AM
I tend to like extroverts. They talk a lot, and (even though it's annoying) it does eliminate the weird silences. I tend to let you ramble on and then say something now and then, as it pops into my head. From the extroverts in my life tell me, they think I'm feisty and fun to talk to (lol). I'd choose being by myself any day, but if I had to pick a random stranger to go to coffee with, I'd pick an extrovert. Introverts are way more fun, but only if we have matching interests. Otherwise it's just horrible, on top of the usual badness of interacting with people.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 12:47:57 AM
Silences are awkward when ur trying to strike up a good conversation with someone. The "small" or "inconseqential" seeming subjects are merely said as a way to branch out onto other consequential or personal things. Nobody wants to start talking about their personal life immediately, so you small talk at first to break the ice and get the person to develop a liking of you/slight trust of you as a person, thus making them more willing to talk about the deeper subjects that form a lasting connection/bond. Sometimes this happens slow, sometimes is rather quick.

As an extrovert i would prefer to cut the small talk out, but its necessary in its own way
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:56:21 PM
At 10/12/2014 12:47:57 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
Silences are awkward when ur trying to strike up a good conversation with someone. The "small" or "inconseqential" seeming subjects are merely said as a way to branch out onto other consequential or personal things. Nobody wants to start talking about their personal life immediately, so you small talk at first to break the ice and get the person to develop a liking of you/slight trust of you as a person, thus making them more willing to talk about the deeper subjects that form a lasting connection/bond. Sometimes this happens slow, sometimes is rather quick.

As an extrovert i would prefer to cut the small talk out, but its necessary in its own way

I'm the same! I like how you put it.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam