Jump to topic:

TOEFL vs IELTS

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:12:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Help me make the right choice DDO, this may affect whether or not I get into the college I want to get into next year.

I got 1950 for my SAT, 630 on the English section.
I originally planned to go to a college in the United States but then stuff happened and I had to stay in Thailand for college but then more stuff happened and now I'm going to Japan.

But the University I'm applying for in Japan does not accept SAT scores. I must either take the IELTS or the TOEFL.

Has anyone on DDO ever taken the TOEFL, IELTS, or both?
Which one should I take?
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 9:02:46 AM
At 10/12/2014 7:12:24 AM, Defro wrote:
Help me make the right choice DDO, this may affect whether or not I get into the college I want to get into next year.

I originally planned to go to a college in the United States but then stuff happened and I had to stay in Thailand for college but then more stuff happened and now I'm going to Japan.

But the University I'm applying for in Japan does not accept SAT scores. I must either take the IELTS or the TOEFL.

Which one should I take?

If it accepts both, then go for IELTS. You need a band 7 which is the average band and can be achieved with little to no work. IELTS is also in general easier. TOEFL is fine, and it asked by Stanford University, and a few others but its a bit more tedious.

I have not taken either, but I have reviewed past papers of both. I suggest you do the same.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 2:04:13 PM
At 10/12/2014 9:02:46 AM, Ajabi wrote:

Which one should I take?

If it accepts both, then go for IELTS. You need a band 7 which is the average band and can be achieved with little to no work. IELTS is also in general easier. TOEFL is fine, and it asked by Stanford University, and a few others but its a bit more tedious.

I have not taken either, but I have reviewed past papers of both. I suggest you do the same.

Where do you plan on going to college?
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 2:10:07 PM
At 10/12/2014 2:04:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Which one should I take?

I hope to go to Oxford, but I'll end up in some community college.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 2:14:20 PM
At 10/12/2014 2:10:07 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 10/12/2014 2:04:13 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Which one should I take?

I hope to go to Oxford, but I'll end up in some community college.

In Pakistan?
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 3:49:43 PM

Which one should I take?

From an ESL perspective (which is a big part of both exams) TOEFL is considered more prestigious.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!