Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should I write more simply?

YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)
Tsar of DDO
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 3:46:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

When you get into your "Big Word" mode then yes, your posts are often too complex for most people to understand. You often speak on a collegiate level, the same level that makes freshmen have to reread a phrase about six times before they actually understand what it is saying. I feel like people with a decent college education can easily grasp what you mean, but not many others.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 5:15:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I like overtly long posts. They can show the whole rationale of someone's arguments, whereas 1 concise paragraph may leave something out.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 5:15:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

Einstein> If it can't be explained simply, you probably don't understand it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 6:45:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:18:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I generally do skip your posts because you write essays rather than simple responses. :p

What he said. :D No offense though.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:48:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:18:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I generally do skip your posts because you write essays rather than simple responses. :p

Perhaps I should do tl;dr.'s.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:49:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 7:48:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/12/2014 3:18:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I generally do skip your posts because you write essays rather than simple responses. :p

Perhaps I should do tl;dr.'s.

I wasn't serious. But I do think most people probably do skip parts of your post, at least.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:50:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 7:49:23 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 10/12/2014 7:48:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/12/2014 3:18:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I generally do skip your posts because you write essays rather than simple responses. :p

Perhaps I should do tl;dr.'s.

I wasn't serious. But I do think most people probably do skip parts of your post, at least.

Yup. I don't understand people who do not read carefully.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:52:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

I like reading your posts. This is not SUTOM. I genuinely do like reading your posts. I'm destined to learn some new word. xD

Some of your posts are ridiculously long though. But that's not a BAD thing.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 7:53:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 7:52:19 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

I like reading your posts. This is not SUTOM. I genuinely do like reading your posts. I'm destined to learn some new word. xD

Some of your posts are ridiculously long though. But that's not a BAD thing.

Thanks, Annie :)
Tsar of DDO
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:03:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No. Your writing style is perfect; the verbosity only makes your posts more fun to read, especially when the subject is particularly interesting. I think I've already told you about how you're my favorite poster in the forums :P

Am I one of those 4 by any chance? 0.0
Cuz that would be really awkward to have said all of the above and be one of those people...
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:10:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

No.
Nolite Timere
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:11:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
A majority of the time I have to open the Oxford English Dictionary at least once. Your writing is great, though.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:12:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:03:24 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
No. Your writing style is perfect; the verbosity only makes your posts more fun to read, especially when the subject is particularly interesting. I think I've already told you about how you're my favorite poster in the forums :P

Thanks :)

Am I one of those 4 by any chance? 0.0

No.

Cuz that would be really awkward to have said all of the above and be one of those people...
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:16:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:


So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?
I don't feel you are talking over me, when you are writing non-condesendingly.
However, I do think you tend to drown people with the volume of words.
Your message may be lost in that sea.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:18:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:16:17 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:


So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?
I don't feel you are talking over me, when you are writing non-condesendingly.

I don't think I've ever been at a point where I've been condescending with you... or if I have, I don't remember it. You read, and seem to meaningfully respond, to the substance of what's said.

However, I do think you tend to drown people with the volume of words.

Fair enough.

Your message may be lost in that sea.

*pulls hair out (metaphorically)*
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:22:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
According to my seminar professor, if people don't understand your point (in speaking or in writing), it's always your fault. You've either failed to make your point clear, or failed to find the appropriate audience.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:24:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:22:24 PM, Maikuru wrote:
According to my seminar professor, if people don't understand your point (in speaking or in writing), it's always your fault. You've either failed to make your point clear, or failed to find the appropriate audience.

Yeah. My undergraduate advisor had a similar standard. But, he is not the type to skip over stuff...

I'm used to writing for an audience that's not 14-18 year olds.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:32:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:18:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:16:17 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:


So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?
I don't feel you are talking over me, when you are writing non-condesendingly.

I don't think I've ever been at a point where I've been condescending with you... or if I have, I don't remember it. You read, and seem to meaningfully respond, to the substance of what's said.

I never said you did to me.
But when you do write that way to others, I have no idea what you are saying sometimes. Although, I get the gist. (like truclate, or whatever that word you like is)

However, I do think you tend to drown people with the volume of words.

Fair enough.

Your message may be lost in that sea.

*pulls hair out (metaphorically)*
IRL, I talk very specifically, and am often misunderstood.
Some, perhaps most, people don't pay attention to what is said, but the paraphrased rereading in their mind.
Keeping it short tends to help.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:39:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:32:38 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:18:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:16:17 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:


So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?
I don't feel you are talking over me, when you are writing non-condesendingly.

I don't think I've ever been at a point where I've been condescending with you... or if I have, I don't remember it. You read, and seem to meaningfully respond, to the substance of what's said.

I never said you did to me.

No, you didn't... but I wanted to clarify that I didn't to others who would be reading this thread.

But when you do write that way to others, I have no idea what you are saying sometimes. Although, I get the gist. (like truclate, or whatever that word you like is)

My undergraduate advisor saw me to that to some dumb frat boy in college, and we talked about it either. He said it was clear that I was intentionally talking over him, to emphasize to both him and the class just how far apart we were intellectually. Of course he didn't approve, but it was a fairly touchy issue and the kid who I was railing against was being a dick.

Keeping it short tends to help.

It does.
Tsar of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 10:49:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

I like the depth of your lexicon. I think I've even complimented you on that in the past. I never view it as you talking over me, but then again, it might be different for those who are in your direct line of fire and caught up in the moment. As a passive observer, I'm not emotionally fueled while reading your lengthy responses. It could very well be different though if I was "speed reading" through them as I itch to reply while blinded by flame-war rage. That might be a contributing factor to the misunderstandings that occur. Usually it wouldn't be an issue, but in your case you do use advanced language that most younger, inexperienced or unread individuals wouldn't know right away and instead of searching for the meaning, they just rush to respond or don't take it in fully.

This is, of course, just my two cents. There's most definitely other potential factors that others have covered.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 10:53:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:11:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
A majority of the time I have to open the Oxford English Dictionary at least once. Your writing is great, though.

+1
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Posts: 4,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 11:46:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

I have no problem with the way your write. I enjoy the clarity of precise use of the english language. So for the most part no I would not be in favour of a "dumbed down" level of discourse.

That being said if you are knowingly discussing an issue with a younger member it may be advisable to use more common words.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:04:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think 1 sentence posts should be banned. They contribute nothing of value. Especially gifs and +1 etc.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 5:09:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/13/2014 3:04:17 AM, Wylted wrote:
I think 1 sentence posts should be banned. They contribute nothing of value. Especially gifs and +1 etc.

+1
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mrsatan
Posts: 428
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 6:38:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 3:17:05 PM, YYW wrote:
I sometimes use big words. My sentences can be longer than others. I do this because 'precision' is important to me. I say all and only what I mean, and generally there is no question about that.

But lately, I've noticed several members (four, specifically) seem to just blatantly miss the points I'm making and I'm not understanding why that is. Is it that they are just not reading carefully enough, or that I am talking over them?

So, my question is, as a member of this forum who is generally familiar with what I write and the way in which I write, do you fee like I'm talking over you?

(I apologize in advance if this sounds condescending. It's not meant too.)

I don't recall ever having difficulties understanding you, at least none that I'm aware were misunderstandings.

But, in my opinion, people taking part in any conversation should use language appropriate to the other participants. In the case of internet forums, thoughts should be given in the simplest words possible, because you don't know who the other participants might be.

Basically, in this setting, if the average 5 year old wouldn't be able to understand what you're saying, then you're not saying it well enough.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 7:40:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you really want to be more understandable to the layman, probably. That being said, I've always thought that the average DDO layman is probably a little better at understanding what you're getting at then the normal layman. I think the issue is more often that people don't actually read the entirety of what you write due to its long form nature.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 8:04:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/13/2014 7:40:52 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
If you really want to be more understandable to the layman, probably. That being said, I've always thought that the average DDO layman is probably a little better at understanding what you're getting at then the normal layman. I think the issue is more often that people don't actually read the entirety of what you write due to its long form nature.

That's what I think too. I know that when I get into the "big word condescending mode" I'm going to send people to the dictionary. That's the point, but I don't usually talk like that.

But, yes, the fact that people do not read what I write and then have the temerity to respond to it bothers me.

TN05, for example, has an irritating tendency to do that.
Tsar of DDO