Jump to topic:

Friends with Benefits

VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 3:55:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is it morally wrong to have sex with no strings attached? If no, is it still not wrong with more then one partner?
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 1:02:22 PM
At 10/14/2014 3:55:55 AM, VelCrow wrote:
Is it morally wrong to have sex with no strings attached?

By secular standards, no.

If no, is it still not wrong with more then one partner?

By secular standards, no.
Tsar of DDO
JollyTodd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 1:04:41 PM
Is it morally wrong to have sex with no strings attached? If no, is it still not wrong with more then one partner?

That opens up a host of questions as to what precisely constitutes morality, or whether such an objective standard actually exists--but, of course, that transcends the discussion I think you wanted to have here, so let me give you my own view. I don't see either as morally wrong. I think it would be critical, in either case, to be upfront about your intentions--that the sex is strictly casual--but, assuming that both people consented under the given terms, I see nothing at all wrong with it.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 2:03:38 PM
Is it morally wrong to have sex with no strings attached?
I see no problem with it as long as the other person has a complete understanding of this BEFORE the sex act occurs and both people involved take every possible precaution to make sure that a baby is not created in such a situation. I also think it is irresponsible (and therefor immoral) for men not to wear a condom just because the woman claims that she is on birth control.

If no, is it still not wrong with more then one partner?
This is where I think there is a problem. I normally wouldn't care (as long as people are made completely aware that there are no strings attached before-hand and that you are having sex with others) but undiscriminating promiscuity is the major cause of the spread of almost all STDs. Not only do you put yourself at a higher and higher risk with each new partner, but you are also putting each consecutive person you have sex with at a higher and higher risk of contracting something from you. In fact, even people who test themselves regularly will infect a large number of people before they go in to get tested again, and if they happened to be infected just before they got tested then many STDs will not even show up, meaning that they will continue to infect people until the NEXT time they get tested. You are not only potentially ruining your own life, but the lives of many others. Also, many people who are this promiscuous will not even care that they were infected since they do not want to have to change their lifestyle and stop having lots of sex and will go on infecting people even after they know that they've contracted something. This, in my mind, is not just slightly immoral but it is downright evil. If the problem of STDs/STIs were completely eliminated and as long as no feelings were getting hurt and no unintended pregnancies were happening, then I would not care if the whole planet turned into a gigantic orgy, as long as no one is being forced or made to feel obligated to join in.
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 3:21:12 PM

Fvck morality. Are you all consenting adults? Do you all want and enjoy it? Are you hurting anybody in the process? If your answers are yes, yes and no respectively, then stop overthinking it and just go with it while it lasts.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 7:23:17 AM
At 10/14/2014 3:21:12 PM, apb4y wrote:

Fvck morality. Are you all consenting adults? Do you all want and enjoy it? Are you hurting anybody in the process? If your answers are yes, yes and no respectively, then stop overthinking it and just go with it while it lasts.

Yeah! Who gives a sh*t about consequences! Just pretend they don't exist and maybe they'll just go away..... :P

Anyways, now back to thinking rationally about the way that things actually work. If we're going to actually say "fvck morality", then it wouldn't matter if anyone was consenting, if they were all adults, if they all want and enjoy it, or if anybody is getting hurt. All three of your questions are questions of morality in this situation. You ask these questions because there are horrible consequences to ignoring them. That's kinda what morality is all about. It's not really about the "feel-goods" or even necessarily about the things that some ancient book says some deity wants you to do like some people would like to believe. Ignoring questions of morality is like pretending that we live in a world where consequences do not exist. Either way, no matter how much you try and pretend that they don't exist, the consequences eventually WILL catch up to you (if not immediately). It is good to think things through and make the decisions that will bring the best results rather than just running out and fvcking everything that moves just because your d*ck got hard or you felt a little horny and potentially fvcking up your life and the lives of others in the process for a very temporary "feeling" that might not be worth what comes afterwards. Morality is all about consequences and obviously considering consequences is incredibly valuable in the pursuit of your own happiness, the happiness of those you love, and the happiness of everyone everywhere. There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting a little thought into your choices before you enact them.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:04:39 PM

Neither are inherently wrong.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:08:13 PM
*is.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:32:13 PM
At 10/16/2014 4:53:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Friends with benefits are neither friends nor are there benefits.

You're doing it wrong.

Also, you shouldn't be doing it at all. Go focus on your studies, young man.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 12:09:48 AM
It's not wrong to have friends with benefits, though I would think it's wrong to engage in relationships with multiple such friends over the same time period without clearing it first with those friends--but maybe that's me.

While it's not wrong per se, I would discourage it. Better to have meaningful relationships than hollow ones designed just to sate a desire.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 12:34:10 AM
At 10/17/2014 12:09:48 AM, bsh1 wrote:
It's not wrong to have friends with benefits, though I would think it's wrong to engage in relationships with multiple such friends over the same time period without clearing it first with those friends--but maybe that's me.

While it's not wrong per se, I would discourage it. Better to have meaningful relationships than hollow ones designed just to sate a desire.

The sexual aspect isn't intimate. That excludes the "friendship" part, which I would assume is meaningful.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 2:42:20 PM
At 10/17/2014 12:34:10 AM, phantom wrote:
At 10/17/2014 12:09:48 AM, bsh1 wrote:

The sexual aspect isn't intimate. That excludes the "friendship" part, which I would assume is meaningful.

Sure. I guess I should rephrase to say that I would discourage friends with benefits because it seems better to have meaningful intimacy and romance to hollow intimacy and romance that is merely designed to sate your lustful desires.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 2:58:18 PM

Yes.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 3:14:36 PM

It's wrong because you are simply abusing someone and taking advantage of them, not to mention satisfying lustful desires.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:46:37 PM

No, so long as you are honest and have consent. However, it is usually unwise.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 12:21:42 AM

That is solely up to you. Me. I prefer no limitations or limitations in regards to the opportunity to engage into sexual activities with women, therefore I refuse to maintain exclusive relations with women.