Jump to topic:

Shall i do weekly sermons?

thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 8:31:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was thinking of doing weekly, fortnightly or monthly humanist Sermons to the religious forum but I'm not to sure if I can present the ideas in an articulated manner.

I am not to sure whether I will come off as too posh sounding.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 10:07:03 PM
At 10/17/2014 8:31:42 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:
I was thinking of doing weekly, fortnightly or monthly humanist Sermons to the religious forum but I'm not to sure if I can present the ideas in an articulated manner.

No. In fact, I think that you should do more reading and less writing. There really isn't a single positive thing you've contributed since you've been on this site. Among your most notable accomplishments are (1) instigating a fight with me, (2) asserting that I and some of the other most respected members on this site are "trolls" which tells me that you don't know the meaning of the word and (3) failed to grasp the meaning of a thread that I wrote.

I think that generally, you think you have a certain set of values and principles and you want to zealously advocate for them. That's ok, but I doubt that you're going to get the response you want. Instead, members of this forum are likely to tear apart the incoherent ramblings you usually post, which is going to make you feel unintelligent, and will therefore result in you becoming hostile and defensive. That hostility and defensiveness will translate into confrontation with other members, which will make them unhappy and you unhappy.

Granted, it is almost invariably the case that you cannot see this now because you have never been in the situation you are in now. But, I've seen dozens of people exactly like you do exactly the same thing that you are. The consequences are generally predictable. I would suggest that it is generally very unlikely that you will find what you're looking for on this site, but by all means... find that out for yourself! It's going to be a gas to watch.
Tsar of DDO
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 12:57:45 AM
No. In fact, I think that you should do more reading and less writing. There really isn't a single positive thing you've contributed since you've been on this site. Among your most notable accomplishments are (1) instigating a fight with me, (2) asserting that I and some of the other most respected members on this site are "trolls" which tells me that you don't know the meaning of the word and (3) failed to grasp the meaning of a thread that I wrote.

I think that generally, you think you have a certain set of values and principles and you want to zealously advocate for them. That's ok, but I doubt that you're going to get the response you want. Instead, members of this forum are likely to tear apart the incoherent ramblings you usually post, which is going to make you feel unintelligent, and will therefore result in you becoming hostile and defensive. That hostility and defensiveness will translate into confrontation with other members, which will make them unhappy and you unhappy.

Granted, it is almost invariably the case that you cannot see this now because you have never been in the situation you are in now. But, I've seen dozens of people exactly like you do exactly the same thing that you are. The consequences are generally predictable. I would suggest that it is generally very unlikely that you will find what you're looking for on this site, but by all means... find that out for yourself! It's going to be a gas to watch.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 5:19:54 PM
At 10/17/2014 10:07:03 PM, YYW wrote:

There has been a reconsideration on my part over the position that was brought upon by our sole interaction. All previous intentions and statements have been recanted after intervention by private message pointing out an alternative to the assumption of a negative impression of those that were present during the time of the forum in question.

There is an admittance that ones position was untenable and unsustainable within the community upon the additional insight that enlightened ones perspective that the three individuals in question were more valued then one could conceive.

In light of the experience one has attained in a most gracious and humble manner. One has grown to an understanding that the three in question cannot be conceived to be as bad as they were in their character based on a sole interaction and cannot be assumed to be an accurate reflection of there contribution to the site as a whole.

One can only propose to draw a line in the sand and advocate an understanding or an unofficial pact that both sides shall have no future interaction in the forums or debates and let the other go about there business.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 6:06:34 PM
At 10/18/2014 5:19:54 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:

There has been a reconsideration on my part over the position that was brought upon by our sole interaction. All previous intentions and statements have been recanted after intervention by private message pointing out an alternative to the assumption of a negative impression of those that were present during the time of the forum in question.

I enjoy how implicitly you're trying to distance yourself from your previous encounters. Your reformed impression of me, however, is inconsequential. You still lack the ability to articulate a coherent thought, and if you post nonsense, it will be ripped apart by the members of this community who are considerably more educated and intellectually gifted than you.

There is an admittance that ones position was untenable and unsustainable within the community upon the additional insight that enlightened ones perspective that the three individuals in question were more valued then one could conceive.

Aside from writing less and reading more, I encourage you learn to properly speak/write English.

In light of the experience one has attained in a most gracious and humble manner. One has grown to an understanding that the three in question cannot be conceived to be as bad as they were in their character based on a sole interaction and cannot be assumed to be an accurate reflection of there contribution to the site as a whole.

One can only propose to draw a line in the sand and advocate an understanding or an unofficial pact that both sides shall have no future interaction in the forums or debates and let the other go about there business.

This is madness, and it looks like the nonsense you just posted was generated from an online translator. Utterly pathetic.
Tsar of DDO
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 6:10:14 PM
At 10/18/2014 6:06:34 PM, YYW wrote:

I enjoy how implicitly you're trying to distance yourself from your previous encounters. Your reformed impression of me, however, is inconsequential. You still lack the ability to articulate a coherent thought, and if you post nonsense, it will be ripped apart by the members of this community who are considerably more educated and intellectually gifted than you.

Aside from writing less and reading more, I encourage you learn to properly speak/write English.

This is madness, and it looks like the nonsense you just posted was generated from an online translator. Utterly pathetic.

You're agreed to draw a line in the sand and to stay out of each others business?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 6:46:31 PM
At 10/18/2014 6:10:14 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:
At 10/18/2014 6:06:34 PM, YYW wrote:

You're agreed to draw a line in the sand and to stay out of each others business?

I enjoy the fact that you're trying to bargain and negotiate with me. What you mean by "stay out of each other's business" is "don't respond to what I write because I know you're smarted than I am and I don't want to be reminded of it." I furthermore enjoy the fact that you think that my opinion of you will change because you have become "informed" about me. It is indicative of how profoundly you don't understand this site, or this community.

We discuss, with one another, our perspectives. It's how the site operates. What you want is to be able to post without that kind of interaction to follow, and that will not happen. I'm not saying that I will necessarily respond to everything you write, because I don't have time for that. But, if you post on a subject that is important to me, realize that I may respond. Others might or might not, but if you post something especially provocative, you will invite the full force of this community down on you.

It's not that DDO doesn't like outsiders; we're fairly welcoming. It's rather that we don't like people who are both ignorant and arrogant polluting our forums. It may turn out that, once you develop a more sufficient command of the English language that you do make a productive contribution to this community -but I doubt it. I will at this point refer you to my earlier post, and reiterate my prediction that DDO will not be a happy or fun experience for you if you continue as you are now.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 6:46:50 PM

Just to reiterate.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 6:50:18 PM
Your main focus is Transhumanism. I have an unhealthy interest in probably a lot of overlapping topics. I'd be willing to cosponsor a series of threads on Transhumanism, particularly the subjects dealing with what's known as "The rapture of the nerds". Particularly the stuff on a technological singularity and this subset of transhumanism which is really almost like a cult of immortality with the leaders being Max More, Ray Kurzweil and Aubrey De Grey.

I'm well read in this area and I can help you turn some of your incoherent jumpy thoughts into something intelligible.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 6:55:52 PM
I think I can help you avoid some of the negative feedback you'd get, but I'm ignorant of technology outside of how it relates to transhumanism.

some things I'd recommend that you should learn is the difference between humanism and transhumanism. You need to have a good argument for why Moore's law is going to hold up when the entire tech industry disagrees with you and you need to show how Moore's law is applicable to all forms of information technology.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 6:55:31 PM

I just added another part to my H+ series. Judging by our debate and some stuff you mentioned on your youtube channel this may be something you're interested in participating in.

I can deflect a lot of criticism away from you and I'm well versed in handling objections to transhumanism. So once again I extend my hand to you either as you being a partner in my series or I can help you in an advisory cahttp://www.debate.org... as well. Check out my new thread and tell me what you think.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 9:19:44 PM
At 10/19/2014 6:55:31 PM, Wylted wrote:

I just added another part to my H+ series. Judging by our debate and some stuff you mentioned on your youtube channel this may be something you're interested in participating in.

That would be an excellent idea. Collaboration would be the best way to present the idea of Transhumanism in an intellectualised manner.

I have to admit I certainly have a problem with articulation and you are certainly much better and able to dealing with criticism.

I can deflect a lot of criticism away from you and I'm well versed in handling objections to transhumanism. So once again I extend my hand to you either as you being a partner in my series or I can help you in an advisory cahttp://www.debate.org... as well. Check out my new thread and tell me what you think.

That would be an excellent idea. Collaboration would be the best way to present a message
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 9:24:43 PM
At 10/19/2014 9:19:44 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:
At 10/19/2014 6:55:31 PM, Wylted wrote:

That would be an excellent idea. Collaboration would be the best way to present the idea of Transhumanism in an intellectualised manner.

I have to admit I certainly have a problem with articulation and you are certainly much better and able to dealing with criticism.

That would be an excellent idea. Collaboration would be the best way to present a message

Read both posts and send me a PM with what you'd like the next installment to be about.
queenofmayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:27:28 PM
I say go for it if you want, but don't forget this is DDO lol. We are a community of a**holes with strong opinions, high IQs, and drug addictions so you be the judge.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:41:12 PM

I don't think it's a good idea. Sermons are assertions given without reasons, not compatible with debate. Better to attempt a moral argument justified with reasons.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:31:45 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:27:28 PM, queenofmayhem wrote:
I say go for it if you want, but don't forget this is DDO lol. We are a community of a**holes with strong opinions, high IQs, and drug addictions so you be the judge.

I have decided that the process will go ahead in the next 2-3 weeks or so. Once the constructive statements are made it will be up to the particular individuals to discuss, refute and criticise what I have said within the statement I make.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:42:22 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:41:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea. Sermons are assertions given without reasons, not compatible with debate. Better to attempt a moral argument justified with reasons.

I might rephrase the word 'sermon' possibly at a later date or keep it if it captures the process I'm trying to instigate. I will not be asserting as such an opinion as such but making my best case for that opinion and that is where the membership agrees or disagrees and produces an opposing case.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:49:50 PM
At 10/23/2014 3:42:22 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:
I might rephrase the word 'sermon' possibly at a later date or keep it if it captures the process I'm trying to instigate. I will not be asserting as such an opinion as such but making my best case for that opinion and that is where the membership agrees or disagrees and produces an opposing case.

You could put your opinion in a resolution and pose a debate.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:08:45 PM
At 10/23/2014 3:49:50 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 10/23/2014 3:42:22 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:

You could put your opinion in a resolution and pose a debate.

If it's necessary once the statement as it were, was peer reviewed and scrutinised within the forum but if there was a reasonable challenge for me to debate with someone over something I had stated then I would most likely accept.