Jump to topic:

Idk what to put here

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:59:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So we were discussing Thomas Hardy's Hap in school, and this girl (who tells EVERYONE she has a boyfriend in Canada who's the love of her life... and older & a relative) said that if Gof took away the person she loved, she's stop believing in him.

So I told her, death is inevitable. I then asked her if God asked her to sacrifice her love, what she would do. She told me she'd rather sacrifice herself. I told her that wasn't the question. I said what if God asked her to sacrifice her love, like her asked our (Muslim's) prophet to sacrifice his son. She flipped and said she didnt wanna talk about it anymore.

On turning around, the girl sitting next to me- Amy, one of my good friends- told me, "I haven't prayed since February when daddy died. It's not that easy."

There were many things I could've done, or said against what she said, but they all died in my throat because I didn't want to be apathetic, and she was pretty emotional.

What was the correct thing to say or do in this situation.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:03:10 PM
At 10/21/2014 10:59:36 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
So we were discussing Thomas Hardy's Hap in school, and this girl (who tells EVERYONE she has a boyfriend in Canada who's the love of her life... and older & a relative) said that if Gof took away the person she loved, she's stop believing in him.

So I told her, death is inevitable. I then asked her if God asked her to sacrifice her love, what she would do. She told me she'd rather sacrifice herself. I told her that wasn't the question. I said what if God asked her to sacrifice her love, like her asked our (Muslim's) prophet to sacrifice his son. She flipped and said she didnt wanna talk about it anymore.

On turning around, the girl sitting next to me- Amy, one of my good friends- told me, "I haven't prayed since February when daddy died. It's not that easy."

There were many things I could've done, or said against what she said, but they all died in my throat because I didn't want to be apathetic, and she was pretty emotional.

Give her a hug and tell her you love her and that you are for her. That's all that's really necessary. She needs love and a friend, not a lecture on prayer.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:12:03 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:03:10 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Give her a hug and tell her you love her and that you are for her. That's all that's really necessary. She needs love and a friend, not a lecture on prayer.

^ This.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:13:14 PM
But really, I am skeptical of all formal religions, so perhaps I am not the best one to consult on this topic. I wouldn't ever encourage anyone to pray, but at the same time, I would never discourage anyone from doing it (unless it was in a public school or government building.)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:42:10 PM

You give her emotional support. Severely traumatizing events often lead to a loss in faith, as a result of deep emotional instability. The last thing you should ever do in that situation is try to preach. I know this from experience. I went through some really tough sh!t as a kid, things most people never even dream of. I lost faith. A lot of faith. The religious community responded by first preaching to me, then ostracizing me. The sort of thing can just about break a person.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!