Dan Savage on Heterosexual Male Identity

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 7:04:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/22/2014 6:41:21 PM, YYW wrote:

Funny, but I feel like it is a bit shallow.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:54:36 PM
At 10/24/2014 11:42:33 PM, Dennybug wrote:

METROSEXUALS FTW! THEY TRUMP ALL

haha sure thing
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 9:43:51 AM

What would a gay man know about heterosexuality? And furthermore why would a heterosexual give two shts what his impression of heterosexuality is.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 10:29:46 PM
At 10/25/2014 10:27:38 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Age inappropriate for many on this site.

Yes, I thought so too.
Tsar of DDO
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:00:33 AM

I disagree on his reinforcement of heterosexuality at the end. Yes, the straight, male reptile brain conjures up many an anxiety about it's sexuality/masculinity and yes that is a cultural trend that begins when male heterosexuality begins to become challenged as the dominant norm. But, I don't think responding to it by unequivocally reinforcing the static, unchanging nature of heterosexuality is warranted. Rather, the appearance of this phenomenon (not exactly liking nipple stuff but stuff more at the edges of heterosexuality) presents itself as a queering of heterosexuality, a queering of all sexualities. I'd say this points to the fact that sexuality is a dynamic force (that isn't or shouldn't be contained within narrow strictures), not that heterosexual (or likewise any other) anxiety is wholly unwarranted.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:02:20 AM
At 10/26/2014 12:00:33 AM, socialpinko wrote:

I disagree on his reinforcement of heterosexuality at the end. Yes, the straight, male reptile

Reptile?

brain conjures up many an anxiety about it's sexuality/masculinity and yes that is a cultural trend that begins when male heterosexuality begins to become challenged as the dominant norm. But, I don't think responding to it by unequivocally reinforcing the static, unchanging nature of heterosexuality is warranted. Rather, the appearance of this phenomenon (not exactly liking nipple stuff but stuff more at the edges of heterosexuality) presents itself as a queering of heterosexuality, a queering of all sexualities.

Maybe among hipsters and metro guys... but no one else.

I'd say this points to the fact that sexuality is a dynamic force (that isn't or shouldn't be contained within narrow strictures), not that heterosexual (or likewise any other) anxiety is wholly unwarranted.
Tsar of DDO
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 7:37:11 PM
At 10/26/2014 12:02:20 AM, YYW wrote:

I disagree on his reinforcement of heterosexuality at the end. Yes, the straight, male reptile

Reptile?

The speaker said it once in the video and I like it.

brain conjures up many an anxiety about it's sexuality/masculinity and yes that is a cultural trend that begins when male heterosexuality begins to become challenged as the dominant norm. But, I don't think responding to it by unequivocally reinforcing the static, unchanging nature of heterosexuality is warranted. Rather, the appearance of this phenomenon (not exactly liking nipple stuff but stuff more at the edges of heterosexuality) presents itself as a queering of heterosexuality, a queering of all sexualities.

Maybe among hipsters and metro guys... but no one else.

I think that's a boring view. It would be reductive to say that heterosexuality (as it exists presently) exists solely as a bare set of sexual relations between men and women. It inscribes itself in various ways and under various guises in social institutions and cultural practices, most of which are contingent and fluid. The number of normal partners (and their relationship to one another), the power-dynamics in strictly modern relationships, the sexual practices involved, how these sexual practices relate to political, religious, or economic institutions (reproduction especially attains varied significance here), the matrix which makes intelligible certain practices as they relate to different sexual categories (and these practices in relation to one another), etc. have signification which is anything but eternal or static. I think it's wrong to analyze heterosexuality from a narrow set of descriptions and normative expectations and then relate experimental or challenging practices situated against the dominant raison d'etre as mere subcultures which exist only as deviations from within a relatively stable norm. To say that a queering of heterosexuality occurs only amongst socially acceptable 'trends' is to ignore the regulating function which 'naturalize' and re-naturalize heterosexuality (in it's very recent, very modern incarnation) as an eternally present and socially homogeneous set up actions and identities.

I'd say this points to the fact that sexuality is a dynamic force (that isn't or shouldn't be contained within narrow strictures), not that heterosexual (or likewise any other) anxiety is wholly unwarranted.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 9:06:29 PM

I disagree on his reinforcement of heterosexuality at the end. Yes, the straight, male reptile brain conjures up many an anxiety about it's sexuality/masculinity and yes that is a cultural trend that begins when male heterosexuality begins to become challenged as the dominant norm. But, I don't think responding to it by unequivocally reinforcing the static, unchanging nature of heterosexuality is warranted. Rather, the appearance of this phenomenon (not exactly liking nipple stuff but stuff more at the edges of heterosexuality) presents itself as a queering of heterosexuality, a queering of all sexualities. I'd say this points to the fact that sexuality is a dynamic force (that isn't or shouldn't be contained within narrow strictures), not that heterosexual (or likewise any other) anxiety is wholly unwarranted.

http://static.comicvine.com...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)