Jump to topic:

The Place I Live...

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:50:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This thread was inspired by something I witnessed today.

In all of my years, I have never seen a gay couple in my area: until today.

There are three things that dominate the people in my town's minds, 60% of which regularly vote Republican: anti-homosexuality, racism, and anti-Islamic thoughts.

Not a day has gone by without me witnessing my fellow citizens vocalize their thoughts on the matters. They generally result in three actions by me.

1. Me getting pissed off, leaving wherever I was
2. Me getting pissed off, vocalize my opinions, and further my reputation among certain groups of people as a rude liberal.
3. Me getting pissed off, hitting the bigot in question

My town has a lot of things wrong with it, those things include:

The things I listed, the fact that I'm surprised whenever I see any minority, a considerably large Tea Party presence, and an education system with an irrational administration that is grooming a Christian fundamentalist with a poor legal history as an elementary middle school principal.

I guess the only thing that is good about the town is its flora/fauna.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate my town a 2. What would you guys rate it?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:54:00 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:50:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

There are three things that dominate the people in my town's minds, 60% of which regularly vote Republican: anti-homosexuality, racism, and anti-Islamic thoughts.

Not a day has gone by without me witnessing my fellow citizens vocalize their thoughts on the matters. They generally result in three actions by me.

2. Me getting pissed off, vocalize my opinions, and further my reputation among certain groups of people as a rude liberal.

The things I listed, the fact that I'm surprised whenever I see any minority, a considerably large Tea Party presence, and an education system with an irrational administration that is grooming a Christian fundamentalist with a poor legal history as an elementary middle school principal.

Very low I guess, going off of yer description. What state do you live in?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:24:08 PM
Note: they're grooming the Christian fundamentalist to be superintendent.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:47:00 PM
At 10/22/2014 8:54:00 PM, socialpinko wrote:

New Jersey

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 10:54:38 PM
At 10/22/2014 9:47:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

New Jersey

If Florida (which I reside in) didn't exist, NJ would be the first state I would fire bomb if given the chance.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:08:18 PM
At 10/22/2014 10:54:38 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/22/2014 9:47:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

New Jersey

If Florida (which I reside in) didn't exist, NJ would be the first state I would fire bomb if given the chance.

rofl
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 2:45:55 PM
So, you are intolerant of people who do not think exactly like you. Of the various religions in the US, the religion of political correctness is among the least tolerant and the most open about espousing intolerance. You don't have to agree with people to be tolerant of them. I think you must be respectful and put things in proportion.

Christian fundamentalists tend to believe that gay sex is immoral. I think they are wrong about that, and it's none of their business. In general, they only mouth off about it; they don't burn buildings or beat people up. The nutcases who do are usually not Christians.

But Christian fundamentalists also tend to believe in honesty, hard work, and marital fidelity. I think overall, the virtues are more important and ought to be appreciated. Those virtues are on the decline, and that's possibly a terminal illness for society. You could have been unfortunate enough to live in a town full of stoned slackers, criminals, or people who didn't care about education at all. That's common enough.

If you are 14, you really can't object a lot, because it just annoys people. I know about that, having grown up as an atheist in a small town full of old-fashioned Protestants. There is no cure for that other than getting older. Study up.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 3:27:17 PM
At 10/24/2014 2:45:55 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
So, you are intolerant of people who do not think exactly like you. Of the various religions in the US, the religion of political correctness is among the least tolerant and the most open about espousing intolerance. You don't have to agree with people to be tolerant of them. I think you must be respectful and put things in proportion.

Christian fundamentalists tend to believe that gay sex is immoral. I think they are wrong about that, and it's none of their business. In general, they only mouth off about it; they don't burn buildings or beat people up. The nutcases who do are usually not Christians.

But Christian fundamentalists also tend to believe in honesty, hard work, and marital fidelity. I think overall, the virtues are more important and ought to be appreciated. Those virtues are on the decline, and that's possibly a terminal illness for society. You could have been unfortunate enough to live in a town full of stoned slackers, criminals, or people who didn't care about education at all. That's common enough.

If you are 14, you really can't object a lot, because it just annoys people. I know about that, having grown up as an atheist in a small town full of old-fashioned Protestants. There is no cure for that other than getting older. Study up.

Wait, you can disagree without violence?
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:48:01 PM

I do not like homosexuals, or heterosexuals, or sexuals, but I think there should be freedom of speech everywhere, and each person should be allowed to voice their thoughts.

Eh, I'd say a 4.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 1:37:42 PM
At 10/24/2014 3:27:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/24/2014 2:45:55 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Wait, you can disagree without violence?

Well, you can, but it doesn't work out well. A young person is just going to get stomped on. The internet is a really good place to get experience making arguments and learning about a subject. Confronting fundamentalists when you are 14 is going to produce way more heat than light. My advice is to lay low and sharpen your sword, verbal sword that is. In general, it's not wise to adopt crusade-level strong positions when your young. (Like under 40 ... <joke>) No training is needed to learn how to curse and attack people. A lot of training is needed to learn how argue in a way that convinces. My advice applies especially to young atheists.