Jump to topic:

Am I Racist? (A Confession)

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:04:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I always laugh and make racist jokes. I laugh so much at racist jokes, whenever someone just says a simple "n" word I laugh like a maniac. Whenever I see a black person, I giggle. Luckily though, there are rarely any black people in my country and the ones I always see are foreigers.

This has been going on for a while now, until my friends were starting to get annoyed of my sense of humor. I'm concerned and worried that my sense of humor is going to make me lose respect and my friends.

Am I a racist? Or maybe even a bad person? Is what I'm doing unacceptable?
If so, what can I do to change?
What made you follow this social norm of not being racist or laughing at racist jokes?

I am aiming to make myself better, please no hate.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:29:58 PM
At 10/24/2014 12:04:50 PM, XLAV wrote:
I always laugh and make racist jokes. I laugh so much at racist jokes, whenever someone just says a simple "n" word I laugh like a maniac. Whenever I see a black person, I giggle. Luckily though, there are rarely any black people in my country and the ones I always see are foreigers.

This has been going on for a while now, until my friends were starting to get annoyed of my sense of humor. I'm concerned and worried that my sense of humor is going to make me lose respect and my friends.

What made you follow this social norm of not being racist or laughing at racist jokes?

Run and hide before others see this post!!!!!

The fact you literally laugh at black people is very odd. Do you laugh at ugly people or old people for being frail, too?
I see know reason to not laugh at a racist joke, as long as it is funny.

It just sounds like you are immature, more than racist.
Regardless, keep it in check, or lose respect from those around you.

Depending on what you call racism (as we all know my view on what is and isn't is different), it is not a social norm, but just common decency.
My work here is, finally, done.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:12:04 PM

You're not a bad person, but there can be some bad habits that can be removed.
Empathy.

I would appreciate your concern. It's the sign of your sincerity that you have actually realized that something is going wrong. And I congrats you on you will-power to deliberately admitting and then your effort to remove that wrong. It's a good thing that your shared it, so as we can collaboratively put efforts to remove the negativity all around.

So you can try not being racist, by just giving it a try to hold your self at the moment. If I give you some tips, the moment you get an idea to be scornful, change your physical condition, take a glass of water, and enjoy it, it'll change your mode. And practicing again and again will definitely bring a better person in you, though I can still see an emerging one ;)
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 3:34:38 PM

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 4:32:32 PM
Black people are just people that have more melanin. Everyone is technically brown, just some are browner than others. Your level of browness is irrelevant to your value as a person.

One thing I do is try to imagine what it would be like to have blacks joking about the lightness of my skin and calling me names. I don't think that would be much fun. I also try to know people of that ethnicity, so when I talk about that group, I am talking about my friends who I care about. It's easy to laugh at a nebulous group that has no binding on you at all, but if you are friends with them and have a personal relationship with them, it's harder.

It's really awesome you are trying to change and to value people more. That shows you are more than that. Just keep putting yourself in their shoes and treating them like you would want to be treated. They are just people, and they have feelings like we do. The only difference is the melanin.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 4:56:10 PM

Nah... I just wonder how you'd react to seeing me and the entire VonKarma family standing before you.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 5:08:50 PM

I also often make politically incorrect, borderline racist, jokes. However, I never use words like "ni**er" because that takes things too far in my opinion. Most of these jokes of mine revolve around stereotypes.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:05:53 PM
At 10/24/2014 12:29:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Run and hide before others see this post!!!!!

The fact you literally laugh at black people is very odd. Do you laugh at ugly people or old people for being frail, too?
No.
I see know reason to not laugh at a racist joke, as long as it is funny.

It just sounds like you are immature, more than racist.
I often see more teenagers and young adults do racist jokes than prepubescent kids. I've never heard someone below 13 years old even say the "n" word or make racist jokes. I think this has to do my personality or my sense of humor.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:12:15 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:12:04 PM, Dazz wrote:

Empathy.
Care to elaborate?

I would appreciate your concern. It's the sign of your sincerity that you have actually realized that something is going wrong. And I congrats you on you will-power to deliberately admitting and then your effort to remove that wrong. It's a good thing that your shared it, so as we can collaboratively put efforts to remove the negativity all around.
Thank you. All it took was saying the "n" word a lot of times and my friends kicking me out of their clan in clash of clans.

So you can try not being racist, by just giving it a try to hold your self at the moment. If I give you some tips, the moment you get an idea to be scornful, change your physical condition, take a glass of water, and enjoy it, it'll change your mode. And practicing again and again will definitely bring a better person in you, though I can still see an emerging one ;)
So drinking a glass of water will make me not racist???
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:33:46 PM
At 10/24/2014 3:34:38 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Lol.

This is not helping...
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:38:26 PM
At 10/24/2014 4:32:32 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Black people are just people that have more melanin. Everyone is technically brown, just some are browner than others. Your level of browness is irrelevant to your value as a person.

This reminds me of a story my teacher told me.

God made us like pots. The over cooked pots are the black people, the under cooked pots are the white people and the perfectly cooked pots are the brown people.

One thing I do is try to imagine what it would be like to have blacks joking about the lightness of my skin and calling me names. I don't think that would be much fun. I also try to know people of that ethnicity, so when I talk about that group, I am talking about my friends who I care about. It's easy to laugh at a nebulous group that has no binding on you at all, but if you are friends with them and have a personal relationship with them, it's harder.
There are hardly any black people in my country so I really can't relate.

It's really awesome you are trying to change and to value people more. That shows you are more than that. Just keep putting yourself in their shoes and treating them like you would want to be treated. They are just people, and they have feelings like we do. The only difference is the melanin.
Thanks.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:41:08 PM
At 10/24/2014 4:56:10 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Nah... I just wonder how you'd react to seeing me and the entire VonKarma family standing before you.
I have nothing against you or your people. I just find racial slurs hilarious.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:50:20 PM
At 10/24/2014 7:38:26 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/24/2014 4:32:32 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

This reminds me of a story my teacher told me.

God made us like pots. The over cooked pots are the black people, the under cooked pots are the white people and the perfectly cooked pots are the brown people.
LOL that's cute. :D

There are hardly any black people in my country so I really can't relate.
Well, there's several on here.

Thanks.

You're welcome. :D
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:43:39 PM
At 10/24/2014 7:33:46 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/24/2014 3:34:38 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Lol.

This is not helping...

Sure it is!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:39:56 PM

Aren't you like Philipino? Anyways, I've always believed that everyone is rascist to a certain extent as it is one's own natural preference to prefer one's race over another. Though I live in Kansas and they say I'm racist, but I'm not KKK or neo-Nazi. I too laugh at racist jokes and have a ton of good one's in my arsenal. I find foeriengers interesting people as I find them unaccustomed and like to enjoy seeing their view points on things as they are new to a new environment, but sometimes they aren't as they've always cracked up to be as I know a German exchange student and I like to talk German politics with him, but he's clueless about half the things I know.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 11:59:00 AM
At 10/24/2014 7:12:15 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/24/2014 1:12:04 PM, Dazz wrote:

Empathy.
Care to elaborate?
Empathy is a mean of not being racist or say scornful. Feeling the way, others would feel by your attitude or treating people in a way you'd like to be treated by them.

Thank you. All it took was saying the "n" word a lot of times and my friends kicking me out of their clan in clash of clans.
Couldn't get.

So drinking a glass of water will make me not racist???
I said you can "try" not to be racist. Contemplate over it. Some seriousness is required. And about drinking water, that's for your self-esteem ;)
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 12:12:49 PM

I don't know. It sounds stupid, but whatever. What's so funny about Black people?

Go to East New York, and something tells me that you'd take them a lot more seriously.