Jump to topic:

Random job question- references

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 2:42:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If a company asks for references as a part of their application procedure, do they still contact your references only if you are finalized after the interview? Or does reference have an impact on whether or not you avail an interview?

Also, the people I've worked with have been sort of my friends. Like one was a friend who opened a company in his first year and wanted some help with writing and all, and second was this libertarian circle jerk kind of thing that could pass for an NGO. Is it frowned upon to use friends as references? I have one legit reference (excluding these), would using these references boost/ spoil my chances? They'll give me a good reference, if that helps.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 1:44:20 AM
At 10/25/2014 2:42:46 PM, Cermank wrote:
If a company asks for references as a part of their application procedure, do they still contact your references only if you are finalized after the interview? Or does reference have an impact on whether or not you avail an interview?

For jobs I've applied to, they contacted references after the interview. I think most people are cognizant of not contacting references unless you've got a real shot at the job, especially if one of your referees is your current employer.

Also, the people I've worked with have been sort of my friends. Like one was a friend who opened a company in his first year and wanted some help with writing and all, and second was this libertarian circle jerk kind of thing that could pass for an NGO. Is it frowned upon to use friends as references? I have one legit reference (excluding these), would using these references boost/ spoil my chances? They'll give me a good reference, if that helps.

They don't have to know your referees are your friends, do they? I used a close friend as a referee once. We used to be coworkers but she moved on to work in HR for the same company. I just gave her contact information and her position; never mentioned she's basically my best friend.
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:30:40 AM
At 10/25/2014 2:42:46 PM, Cermank wrote:

It depends on the company, the job and the interviewer. There is no "standard" procedure, though I think it's more common to call references after an interview.

Different people will give you different advice about this, but I generally think that being candid is better than the alternative. Some companies will not look favorably on political activity, though, and because I've done campaign work it has hurt me when applying for a few positions. But again, it depends on a number of factors.

In terms of who you should use as a reference, you want people who you have worked with professionally or who know you well or who know you well enough to say at least a few sentences about you and are connected in some way to the company you're applying to. If you are going to use anyone as a reference, you should email them ahead of time and ask their permission and let them know that they might get a call about it.
Tsar of DDO