Jump to topic:

Help on Procrastination

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014
Posted: 2 years ago
I know that most of you are struggling with this issue, but this is starting to become such a serious problem for me that it's starting to affect my health.

For instance, I got home at school around 3:30 PM, but I just started my homework at 1:00AM after sleeping, playing SCII and a long game of soccer with my friends, and lingering on DDO when there's nothing to post on anyway. What the actual hell? That's insane! Not only that, but things like this happen to me at least thrice a week. Sleeping for less than five hours is not going to be good for me.

Procrastination has even spread to my activities on DDO. I always get my debate arguments in last-minute, I'm slacking off on my fanfics, and I delay posting on important threads or PMs. If I'm procrastinating on even DDO, then that's a new world record of procrastination.

I'm trying to stop procrastinating, but emphasis on "trying." It's practically an addiction at this point. I'm even falling asleep in classes, and it amazes me how I still get straight A's when the teachers probably hate my guts for dozing off. I'm literally not going to survive high school at this rate if I can't get my work done straight from the beginning. So, in your own (sensible) opinion, what's the best way to deal with procrastination, even if it's not on such an extreme scale as this?

TL;DR: How would you take care of procrastination?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:02:25 AM
I'll type up a long and informative post later
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:07:37 AM
lol there is a chrome extention that only allows you on specific sites for a limited amount of time period. Stayfocussed I think. pretty helpful.

or we can all form a DDO anonymous and chant and stuff, if you want.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:08:01 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:02:25 AM, thett3 wrote:

Okay. If I don't get good advice, I'm going to see a psychiatrist or a therapist tomorrow.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:08:35 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:07:37 AM, Cermank wrote:
lol there is a chrome extention that only allows you on specific sites for a limited amount of time period. Stayfocussed I think. pretty helpful.
Easy for you to say. -.-
Wut?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:09:45 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:08:35 AM, RevNge wrote:
Easy for you to say. -.-

try eeet!

i believe in you.
Wut?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:10:37 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:09:45 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 10/31/2014 12:08:35 AM, RevNge wrote:
Easy for you to say. -.-

try eeet!
Don't you think I tried focusing dozens of time already? I can't! D:<
i believe in you.
Big mistake. XD
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:11:33 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:08:01 AM, RevNge wrote:

Okay. If I don't get good advice, I'm going to see a psychiatrist or a therapist tomorrow.

This joke flew over your head.

In all seriousness though, do you think that what you do matters? The biggest thing for me at your age was a massive lack of motivation. You're what, a freshman in high school? The path to success literally begins now, and it aint through DDO.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:12:53 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:11:33 AM, thett3 wrote:

Ohh...I see it. My mind's 50% slower than usual though, it's 1:15 AM here. -.-
In all seriousness though, do you think that what you do matters? The biggest thing for me at your age was a massive lack of motivation. You're what, a freshman in high school? The path to success literally begins now, and it aint through DDO.
True. But me like DDO *derp face*
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:15:14 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:12:53 AM, RevNge wrote:

Too bad. Do your homework.

Do you want to prove your parents right for wanting to keep you away from here?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:16:17 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:15:14 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 10/31/2014 12:12:53 AM, RevNge wrote:

Too bad. Do your homework.
I am now... D:>
Do you want to prove your parents right for wanting to keep you away from here?
...fair point.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:24:56 AM

I tried one of those.... the problem is that you have to set the password yourself, so whenever you feel like procrastinating, you can just go and unlock all those site again...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 12:29:35 AM
At 10/31/2014 12:24:56 AM, UchihaMadara wrote:

I tried one of those.... the problem is that you have to set the password yourself, so whenever you feel like procrastinating, you can just go and unlock all those site again...

you can't unlock the site for the day if you're already done with your allotted time on the site, you've to wait for the next day. Plus it dissuades you using a pretty colourful language, so it might be helpful.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 1:59:35 AM
At 10/31/2014, RevNge wrote:
I know that most of you are struggling with this issue, but this is starting to become such a serious problem for me that it's starting to affect my health.

For instance, I got home at school around 3:30 PM, but I just started my homework at 1:00AM after sleeping, playing SCII and a long game of soccer with my friends, and lingering on DDO when there's nothing to post on anyway. What the actual hell? That's insane! Not only that, but things like this happen to me at least thrice a week. Sleeping for less than five hours is not going to be good for me.

Procrastination has even spread to my activities on DDO. I always get my debate arguments in last-minute, I'm slacking off on my fanfics, and I delay posting on important threads or PMs. If I'm procrastinating on even DDO, then that's a new world record of procrastination.

I'm trying to stop procrastinating, but emphasis on "trying." It's practically an addiction at this point. I'm even falling asleep in classes, and it amazes me how I still get straight A's when the teachers probably hate my guts for dozing off. I'm literally not going to survive high school at this rate if I can't get my work done straight from the beginning. So, in your own (sensible) opinion, what's the best way to deal with procrastination, even if it's not on such an extreme scale as this?

I am chronic for this, but it usually stems from a desire to have a beer, play some video games, and being a general lay about.

But... in appreciation of all that, there are a few things I do currently that help with my desire to veg.

Lists, mostly. That, and appreciation for priorities. I make a list, based on priority of the various chores and tasks that need to be accomplished in a given time, for me, typically a week. I call it a task list, some call it a chore list, whatever. Basically you sprinkle out your 'to do's in a manner which gets what is time sensitive done early, and spread the rest out across the week into bite sized chunks. Getting the day's chores done entitles you to all the screw around time you want for the rest of the day. In my case, a few long necks and some BF3. Procrastination effects me the most when the list is long and time is short, so planning a head to space out my time gives me the sense of urgency needed when needed, and the sense of accomplishment when deserved.

Granted, we might have different chores, so take the plan an adapt as needed.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 7:27:45 AM

Deactivate your DDO account until you've caught up. Announce that you are leaving for a long time, so that later on you will be aided in your resistance to return by the feeling of embarrassment at having showed back up so soon.

Trust me, I am one of the worlds most experienced procrastinators. Like I have an essay due in 33 minutes and I just finished the planning.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 7:29:29 AM

I've done this to. Think about school like a job that doesn't end until 6:00 PM. Get homework done first, then log onto DDO.
Tsar of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 8:04:22 AM
At 10/31/2014 7:27:45 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Deactivate your DDO account until you've caught up. Announce that you are leaving for a long time, so that later on you will be aided in your resistance to return by the feeling of embarrassment at having showed back up so soon.
Dude. It's not like I have a bunch of homework due in a single day or something. I just get work every day and then I just put it off for several hours. Are you saying that I should deactivate my account daily? XD
Trust me, I am one of the worlds most experienced procrastinators. Like I have an essay due in 33 minutes and I just finished the planning.
Pfft. I did my homework when the class actually started. How the hell I did it, I don't know.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 8:07:08 AM
At 10/31/2014 7:29:29 AM, YYW wrote:

I've done this to. Think about school like a job that doesn't end until 6:00 PM. Get homework done first, then log onto DDO.

Okay, let's see how that works out. O_O
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2014 10:53:26 AM

When it comes to homework I tend to be a little ADHD (I lied, I'm ADHD about everything). Because I'm homeschooled my schedule (to my demise) is pretty flexible, I've had months at a time where I would start my homework at 11 at night and finish it at 3AM, then because it takes me awhile to sort my thoughts and have my sleep medicine kick in I would be falling asleep at 5AM and waking up at 6:30. Sleeping a hour and a half lends to problems itself and I would fail every class I took.

Then I started to scheduled out my life in blocks. That way I would remember to eat food, go to sleep on time , and do my homework at the right time everyday.

Try it bro, it helps. Schedule your week out with your parents and if you you stick to your schedule at the end of the week do something fun on Saturday, If you don't get grounded. xD it helps.
I'm so fancy, you already know.