Jump to topic:

Flying alone

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:49:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US, and my extended family lives on the East coast, and there is a high possibility I will have to fly across the country on my own and change planes twice. XD I've never flown by myself before, I've always been with my family and friends, so I'm a little nervous about this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 12:14:27 PM
At 11/5/2014 11:49:46 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
So, I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US, and my extended family lives on the East coast, and there is a high possibility I will have to fly across the country on my own and change planes twice. XD I've never flown by myself before, I've always been with my family and friends, so I'm a little nervous about this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Don't read the papers they give you.

The first time I ever rode a plane alone the complimentary newspaper's front page was about the Qantas flight which lost it's engine... It was the first thing I read when I sat down in my seat. Fail =p.

Take a good book with you and switch between attempting to read and sleeping, you will be fine :-). Make sure you turn up extra early, and take extra time making sure you have your passport etc, it can be pretty scary you have nothing to fall back on if you have forgotten something or are running late etc.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 12:25:38 PM
At 11/5/2014 12:14:27 PM, Envisage wrote:

Don't read the papers they give you.

The first time I ever rode a plane alone the complimentary newspaper's front page was about the Qantas flight which lost it's engine... It was the first thing I read when I sat down in my seat. Fail =p.

Take a good book with you and switch between attempting to read and sleeping, you will be fine :-). Make sure you turn up extra early, and take extra time making sure you have your passport etc, it can be pretty scary you have nothing to fall back on if you have forgotten something or are running late etc.

Thank you. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 1:26:00 PM

at ifrst I thought you meant you were going to fly hyour own plane
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 1:31:18 PM
At 11/5/2014 1:26:00 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

at ifrst I thought you meant you were going to fly hyour own plane
No, I'm not that lucky. :D

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 4:08:51 PM

Be sure that you DO NOT mention bombs, terrorism, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, or Ebola in the Airport or on the plane. They may literally arrest you if you do so, even if you are only joking.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 4:10:18 PM
At 11/5/2014 4:08:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Be sure that you DO NOT mention bombs, terrorism, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, or Ebola in the Airport or on the plane. They may literally arrest you if you do so, even if you are only joking.

Yeah, it's not very wise. I have flown before, just not by myself. But thank you for the advice. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:35:27 PM

The first time I flew alone was kind of scary. It's just like doing anything major for the first time. You just have to take a deep breath and stay calm. Flying is actually way easier than driving for the first time (alone). It's much less dangerous. You just need to make sure you get to the airport early enough. If you're nervous about missing your plane or something, just get there two hours early instead of one hour early.

There's not even that many steps you need to do. If you check in online before you get to the airport, you can just drop your bag off for most airlines when you get there. There's a bag drop line that is way faster than the check-in line. These days, you can even get your ticket on your phone for most airports and they just scan a barcode from your phone. That's kind of cool. Don't forget your ID though.

Next, security. Can be anxiety inducing for some people, but it's really not a big deal. Just remember to take off your shoes, don't take non-travel size toiletries (like toothpaste) or they'll make you throw it away (unless you check them with your checked luggage).

FInally, once you're through, check the monitors to make sure your flight is still on time and that you got to the right gate. Then just sit down and relax. Make sure you bring enough stuff to do. Having a book on your phone or Kindle or tablet is nice. Have music. Chilling in an airport can actually be relaxing as long as you have enough stuff to do. There's also plenty of food at most airports. Go get a bite to eat while you wait.

When you transfer, just make sure to check the monitors again. Make sure to be at the gate at least 15 minutes prior to the boarding time that appears on the monitors. Don't want any mishaps.

That's about it. It's not really that big a deal.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:37:36 PM
At 11/5/2014 5:35:27 PM, bluesteel wrote:

The first time I flew alone was kind of scary. It's just like doing anything major for the first time. You just have to take a deep breath and stay calm. Flying is actually way easier than driving for the first time (alone). It's much less dangerous. You just need to make sure you get to the airport early enough. If you're nervous about missing your plane or something, just get there two hours early instead of one hour early.

There's not even that many steps you need to do. If you check in online before you get to the airport, you can just drop your bag off for most airlines when you get there. There's a bag drop line that is way faster than the check-in line. These days, you can even get your ticket on your phone for most airports and they just scan a barcode from your phone. That's kind of cool. Don't forget your ID though.

Next, security. Can be anxiety inducing for some people, but it's really not a big deal. Just remember to take off your shoes, don't take non-travel size toiletries (like toothpaste) or they'll make you throw it away (unless you check them with your checked luggage).

FInally, once you're through, check the monitors to make sure your flight is still on time and that you got to the right gate. Then just sit down and relax. Make sure you bring enough stuff to do. Having a book on your phone or Kindle or tablet is nice. Have music. Chilling in an airport can actually be relaxing as long as you have enough stuff to do. There's also plenty of food at most airports. Go get a bite to eat while you wait.

When you transfer, just make sure to check the monitors again. Make sure to be at the gate at least 15 minutes prior to the boarding time that appears on the monitors. Don't want any mishaps.

That's about it. It's not really that big a deal.
Thank you for the advice. That's really helpful. I'll keep it in mind. :D

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:16:36 PM

If you have the flu, do not say you have Ebola as a joke.

Be cautious of hijackers. If people do hijack the plane in the name of God, it was nice knowing you.

Do not sit in front of or near little kids. They may whine or kick your seat.

Binary code:

01100110 01100001 01110010 01100101 01110111 01100101 01101100 01101100
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:18:46 PM
At 11/5/2014 6:16:36 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Of course.

Be cautious of hijackers. If people do hijack the plane in the name of God, it was nice knowing you.

I can't really control that.

Binary code:

Huh?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:19:54 PM
At 11/5/2014 6:18:46 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Of course.

Binary code:

Huh?
Farewell
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:20:57 PM
At 11/5/2014 6:19:54 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 11/5/2014 6:18:46 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Of course.

Binary code:

Huh?
Farewell
I'm not leaving quite yet. I have a few days at least.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam